Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 17:44

holy shit dude Shocked Shocked

your gonna have to stop doing those 8000rpm launches and flat shifting man otherwise your gonna keep going through speedo drive output shafts like theres no tomorrow!!!!!!!

Very funny ha ha...

Just for the record none of my cars have ever been launched at anything over about 5000 RPM ( and you could count how many times i have done that on my right hand) Very Happy and similarly none of my cars have ever been flat changed either. I really think its poor form unless you drag race (maybe).

Something else to note is that its unbelievable how little energy is required to turn the speedo cable its very very light, so i just dont understand how these things break...imean there seriously is very little resistance on it.

The only thing i can think of is there is something out of round in the box or something has got caught somewhere
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it was funny Rolling Eyes just my twisted sense of humour i guess Laughing

seriously tho that is verrry strange if its the 3rd one maybee something else is broken/worn out
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 18:01

GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 17:15

OK fans and air conditioners here are the official pics of the AW09 and yes its for sale if you want further details let me know ! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7488/aw09driversfront4bb.th.jpg

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4377/aw09side9yk.th.jpg

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3079/aw09reardrivers2yc.th.jpg

and the survey says *bowng bowng*.....

not an aw09.. what kinda toyota model code is that... no epc lists it. and... it looks suspicously like a Fiat X1/9
http://www.irata.com/x19/gifs/mylx19.jpg

*edit* which i kinda guess is a bit of a predecessor to the aw1x series Smile

Yep i reckon so so that makes you the carry over CHAMPION !!

It was just that is was parked outside our office and i could not believe how many styling cues Toyota stole from this car let alone the entire concept.

Have a look at the engine lid its pure AW11 SC, the overall propotions are so similar its scary.

Check out the side air intake, the centre crease, the angle of the bonnet, the front to rear overhangs, the front and rear lighting arrangements, the exhaust outlet and ventilation, it really is quite the rip off.

Actually have you ever seen the racing Abarth version with the F1 inspired roof air intake....i am working one one now so watch this space Feral Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 18:10

i thought it was funny Rolling Eyes just my twisted sense of humour i guess Laughing

seriously tho that is verrry strange if its the 3rd one maybee something else is broken/worn out

Yep,

I rekon you are right but what could it be ? like it goes fine for a while then just stops ! no crunching noises or anything like that, it definitely requires an internal examination.

has anyone got some exploded drawings of the supercharged gearbox for this output shaft they can post to shed some light on this subject...thanks
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott: You're welcome to borrow my BGB, I can't be arsed scanning the 50 or so pages relating to it.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's some dodgy phone pics of my new wheels... Very Happy

http://www.users.on.net/~adamb131/Image002.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~adamb131/Image003.jpg
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm i like whats they called???
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 18:01

not an aw09.. what kinda toyota model code is that... no epc lists it.

plus the very first MR2 was an AW10

Scott I severly hope you were joking with all that comotion Happy Sad No No No :-
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

it looks suspicously like a Fiat X1/9

hrmmm... yes it does indeed.
i have a friend via the net in NZ that has a aw10 carby model, the basic shape is the same as ours.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while we're on the models topic.

what model sc aw11 had the lsd? was it a specific model ie g-limited?

i've asked an importer to look for an excellent cond, sc, 5 speed, aw11 with an lsd and i dont know how he can identify it.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thinks it was a factory option
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then how do u pick if u have an lsd or not?

..without lighting it up around a corner Rolling Eyes Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the only way i know how to check
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will pretty mcuh have to either drive it or jack it up and spin the wheels. im pretty sure you cant tell from, the build plate. if you get a g-limited im pretty sure you are likley to get an LSD but it isnt a sure thing.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc i saw your car the other day while i was up at quickfit looks a bit like a 4wd atm in the rear Laughing

the half cut was there aswell so it seems your conversion is comming along well
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do wreckors etc know it's an lsd gearbox then without pulling it to bits?

surely there's SOMETHING?
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the way i tested wtih the misses car was rev and drop clutch, then myself and a mate serviced the car we did the under the car check and yeah, single spinner Shocked

BTW see my sig, my babies possibly forsale.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr trim wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 22:42

how do wreckors etc know it's an lsd gearbox then without pulling it to bits?

surely there's SOMETHING?

is the box still in the car? are the shafts still in the box?
if the shafts are still in the box turn one and the other will turn in the same direction.

i know you can look into where the drive shaft goes if there are no driveshafts in the box, by memory if you see straight through with there being no center rod (that would normaly operate the spider gears) then it's an LSD box.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is to identify an mr2 with an lsd in japan, i don't think the importing guys will be moving driveshafts and what not Embarassed

i guess it'll just be luck of the draw as to which one i import. Wink
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

Just to confirm Wiso that yes of course this was a joke about the X1/9. I am well aware that the AW10 was the first in the series. I just thought it would make for a bit of interest and even some pre history of our cars. I have been in an AW10 Dave Youl had one for a while that he stripped out as a race car complete with carby engine !!

One thing i can say is that the Japanese certainly did a much better job building our cars. Fiats are renowned for rust and poor mechanicals...especially the X1/9 vintage. As they say FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony Laughing Laughing Laughing

Long live the AW11 Very Happy

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam,

The wheels look great Very Happy on the car...even with the dodgy camera, cant wait for some better/more detailed pics.

What was the actual offset like 39-40 ??

Also re wheels Ben and Dave appreciate the comments. I think gold is still too bling for me i think i will stay with the silver centres its just a bit more of a factory sort of look.

Is there anyone that wants my Chrome 16s ? here is another pic for those that may not have seen them.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5945/rearwheellow2wx.th.jpg
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 08:43

Guys,

Just to confirm Wiso that yes of course this was a joke about the X1/9. I am well aware that the AW10 was the first in the series. I just thought it would make for a bit of interest and even some pre history of our cars. I have been in an AW10 Dave Youl had one for a while that he stripped out as a race car complete with carby engine !!

One thing i can say is that the Japanese certainly did a much better job building our cars. Fiats are renowned for rust and poor mechanicals...especially the X1/9 vintage. As they say FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony Laughing Laughing Laughing

Long live the AW11 Very Happy

indeed fiats are rust buckets even fait nuts will admit to that plus they have awkward stud patterns like 4 x 88 or something strange like that. The x1/9 looks very similar proportions wise to the aw11 but toyota did alot better job of the styling
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 08:57

Adam,

The wheels look great Very Happy on the car...even with the dodgy camera, cant wait for some better/more detailed pics.

Also re wheels Ben and Dave appreciate the comments. I think gold is still too bling for me i think i will stay with the silver centres its just a bit more of a factory sort of look.

Is there anyone that wants my Chrome 16s ? here is another pic for those that may not have seen them.

fats not going to be happy with you departing with the bling Laughing
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 28 July 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 09:00

Adam,

Martin you are right but all is not lost.. he can have them and put them on his POOFY HAIR DRESSER CAR INTEGRA
Laughing Laughing Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 09:27

Adam,

Martin you are right but all is not lost.. he can have them and put them on his POOFY HAIR DRESSER CAR INTEGRA

ahahhahahah yes but i think it has cromies allready Laughing
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

I have some superlow springs sitting around in the garage gathering dust anyone interested in these ?

Ride height is as per the Avatar.

Just an update on the 18mm rear Sway Bar. I am really loving it Very Happy heaps more turn in, i doubt i could make it understeer now.

Round abouts are dispatched in a far superior fashion.

Time will tell how it goes on high speed corners like turn 1 at Eastern Creek. At near 200km/hr may be a bit sketchy Shocked Shocked I think i will fit the front bar before then, dont really like the idea of going backwards doing the double ton.

Also if you guys have not sussed out the MR2OC and interested in big wheels and tyres sus out Paul Woods car he has 17 x 10 inch wheels with 255s on it....its just madness especially with a V6
AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have a spare 4agze distributor lying around as mine needs to be replaced.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 14:39

Time will tell how it goes on high speed corners like turn 1 at Eastern Creek. At near 200km/hr may be a bit sketchy Shocked Shocked I think i will fit the front bar before then, dont really like the idea of going backwards doing the double ton.

i concour that dosent sound fun
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 16:54

i concour that dosent sound fun

yeah don't wanna end up like todd wilkes Sad
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back to the question about the speedo drive shaft.

The most likely cause of this is a sticky speedo cable. If there is any resistance in the speedo cable it puts too much stress on the drive setup. On mine I made a bit of a funnel out of cardboard around the end of the speedo drive cable then sprayed a bunch of WD40 down the sheath to get it spinning more freely.

You could also pull the actual cable out of the sheath then clean and oil it. I didn't want to pull out the instrument binnacle to disconnect the cable from the speedo though.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 29 July 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Just an update on the 18mm rear Sway Bar. I am really loving it Very Happy heaps more turn in, i doubt i could make it understeer now.

Hmm scott I can tell you how they go on high speed bends with fat rear swaybars.... lift off snap oversteer. when I was at wakefiled the other week that long bend as you coming back down the hill before the sharp dog leg in the centre, I was hitting that with some speed (right not 200km maybe Rolling Eyes but about ~130km), and the rear becomes soo twitchy, it snapped out on me a few times, some times I controlled it, twice I did about 270's. the sway bars i have on mine are 18mm rear and 24mm front, mine has stuff all understeer.

hmm those wheels are nice scott the bling would look alright on my blue 2 Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 10:36]

NT scrub
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 30 July 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, got a problem; one of my headlight globes is broken so i need to replace it. To do this i have to remove the lens from the light, but all of the screws that hold the lens in are rusted out totally.

They are all seized to the thread and the heads are rusted so bad that if i try to undo them with a screwdriver it just rips all of the screwdriver indents (?) out.

I dont know how i am going to get them out - any ideas?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 30 July 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you do have to remove the lense from the hop up light housing. prehaps drill out the screws and replace them...

a little while ago someone ( im sure it was feral) posted a pic of a 4agze with the charger mounted on the exhaust side in place of the air con unit. i went back to page 20!!! and cant find it.. can someone please repost it..
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 30 July 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all I have ever done to replace the light bulb it take the top panel off the light assembly, you know the coloured panel that fills in the bonnet corners, undo the 4 screws, or if these are the screws your talking about, dunno, but all mine so far have had the philips head screwd, also an 8mm spanner on the out side, otherwise soak it in WD40 for a good 20mins, then if all else fails.... vise grips Cool they always work Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ indeed, all you need to do is take the plastic surround off (4 screws) that will then expose the 4 screws that hold the metal lid on, then you can acess the globe from behind the headlight.

exhaust mounted s/c was one of the projects i was going to do before i did the gte, i wanted to try the s/c with the ge inlet manifold. it mounts up on the ex side rather nicely.
look in the 4agze sc14 problems thread in the tech section, i posted pics in that thread.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 10:08

Adam,

That hurts guys Sad

Laughing

Sorry to say but the integra has none and will never have any bling! You can beleive that!!!!

Its all about bikes these days. I hope to have a new project soon. Come to think of it, i have a nice new turbo sitting around here somewhere too..... Wink

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill have to swing by your place to have a look when its done fat 440hp turbo on a bike hmmm sounds scary Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 21:45

4agte wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 10:08

Adam,

That hurts guys Sad

Laughing

Sorry to say but the integra has none and will never have any bling! You can beleive that!!!!

Its all about bikes these days. I hope to have a new project soon. Come to think of it, i have a nice new turbo sitting around here somewhere too..... Wink

Hey Fat,

Good to see you back on THE thread !!

Mate these Chromies would look FULLY SICK on your car, sure you dont want to swap them for a turbo or an intercooler or something ? Laughing

BTW i did not hear back from that guy in Hurstville, did he end up taking the car ??
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 14:01

^^ indeed, all you need to do is take the plastic surround off (4 screws) that will then expose the 4 screws that hold the metal lid on, then you can acess the globe from behind the headlight.

exhaust mounted s/c was one of the projects i was going to do before i did the gte, i wanted to try the s/c with the ge inlet manifold. it mounts up on the ex side rather nicely.
look in the 4agze sc14 problems thread in the tech section, i posted pics in that thread.

Feral,

What was the idea behind relocating the SC to the other side of the engine ? was it only so you could try the other manifold ?
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 31 July 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 20:35

Hmm scott I can tell you how they go on high speed bends with fat rear swaybars.... lift off snap oversteer. when I was at wakefiled the other week that long bend as you coming back down the hill before the sharp dog leg in the centre, I was hitting that with some speed (right not 200km maybe Rolling Eyes but about ~130km), and the rear becomes soo twitchy, it snapped out on me a few times, some times I controlled it, twice I did about 270's. the sway bars i have on mine are 18mm rear and 24mm front, mine has stuff all understeer.

hmm those wheels are nice scott the bling would look alright on my blue 2 Laughing

Wiso,

Firstly i like the new Avatar...very artsy fartsy with you also in the shot !

I know the corner...its a bitch off camber and the radius seems to tighten and the car gets very light. The way i drive it now is to be on throttle (full gas0 through the corner then try to brake late and in a straight line before the next left Evil or Very Mad

24mm front sway bar...that is pretty huge what type is it ? I fitted my 20mmm last night. I can tell you you dont need a big rear bar for lift off oversteer.I still have vivid memories in my NA (stock) down the back of Amaroo Park through the kink doing about 150. Usually you kept it flat through there, but this lap i cought a slower car and had to back of mid corner (my fault) it stepped out BIG TIME Shocked Shocked Shocked I was with a driver trainer, i think we both crapped our pants simultaneously Laughing i got back on the throttle and lickily straightened it out VERY LUCKY

I am keen to get mine back out on the track now and see how it feels. One thing i have noticed when running bigger rear to front tyres the snap oversteer, well any oversteer actually is certainly reduced.

As for the wheels, i am sure they would look good on your car Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 09:31

Wiso,

Firstly i like the new Avatar...very artsy fartsy with you also in the shot !

Thank you, that sticker is acctually on the side of my car now, just above the Supercharger sticker, gives it a character, looks very cool Very Happy

GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 09:31

I know the corner...its a bitch off camber and the radius seems to tighten and the car gets very light. The way i drive it now is to be on throttle (full gas0 through the corner then try to brake late and in a straight line before the next left Evil or Very Mad

24mm front sway bar...that is pretty huge what type is it ? I fitted my 20mmm last night. I can tell you you dont need a big rear bar for lift off oversteer.I still have vivid memories in my NA (stock) down the back of Amaroo Park through the kink doing about 150. Usually you kept it flat through there, but this lap i cought a slower car and had to back of mid corner (my fault) it stepped out BIG TIME Shocked Shocked Shocked I was with a driver trainer, i think we both crapped our pants simultaneously Laughing i got back on the throttle and lickily straightened it out VERY LUCKY

I am keen to get mine back out on the track now and see how it feels. One thing i have noticed when running bigger rear to front tyres the snap oversteer, well any oversteer actually is certainly reduced.

As for the wheels, i am sure they would look good on your car Very Happy

Hmm yeah that corner is annoying at wakefield, the first time I span I had this hotted little rolla on my ass, kinda span right in front of him and he went straight off the track, (that'll teach em Laughing )

Sorry I correct I have 22mm bar at the front not a 24mm, my bad. I have K-Mac swaybars front and rear.

How much are you after for the wheels scott? just out of interest.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso,

No worries, have a look in the classified section for the details and make me an offer or send me a PM.

It would be good to get enough $ to do the repairs on the 15s i just got. It would be also be nice to at least get back the $600 that went on the 2 new bridgestones Very Happy awesome tyres BTW

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 10:37

Hmm yeah that corner is annoying at wakefield, the first time I span I had this hotted little rolla on my ass, kinda span right in front of him and he went straight off the track, (that'll teach em Laughing )

Come on - That's one of the best bits of the track! You're screaming down there through a never-ending sweeper, despirately trying to pick a braking point, there's a tight off camber corner coming up and the tail starts to get 'skittish', it doesn't get much better than that (I'm grinning just thinking about it).

If you get it just right, you can do the whole left right combination sideways, not fast, but, heaps of fun...
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 10:56

wiso wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 10:37

Come on - That's one of the best bits of the track! You're screaming down there through a never-ending sweeper, despirately trying to pick a braking point, there's a tight off camber corner coming up and the tail starts to get 'skittish', it doesn't get much better than that (I'm grinning just thinking about it).

If you get it just right, you can do the whole left right combination sideways, not fast, but, heaps of fun...

Yep trying to pick the line and braking point there is bloody difficult,Its definitely the most challenging part...that is for sure.

Yep i too have drifted through the left hander, fun.. but not the way to a good lap time Very Happy

I like the 2 right handers at the top of the track best. every time i go through there i just think, man i could have gone heaps faster Evil or Very Mad its also a good place to go power sliding Evil or Very Mad

You would love Oran Park, there are a couple of similar corners. I make up alot of time there by keeping the foot burried into the throttle and like you say i am also grinning just thinking about it Very Happy

How is the idle going ?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been distracted again - This time it's a friends series 4 RX7 rally car needing final assembly, so I spent most of the weekend at her house helping with it..

I hopefully should have a working prototype of my water injection system going by the end of the week though.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 08:38

Feral,

What was the idea behind relocating the SC to the other side of the engine ? was it only so you could try the other manifold ?

yup, to me it seemed a lot easier than making custom brackets to lower the s/c ~3" to clear the 4age inlet manifold (which then made it very squeezy between the engine and rear firewall, and very close to the drive shaft). was thinking the s/c with a 4age inlet being a better design and long runners would have to give a good increase in low down torque compared to the factory bodge-up.

i guess thats why i am hanging to hear/see how Ben's goes with his custom inlet manifold. Smile
NT scrub
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys are legends, thought i was stuffed not being able to undo those screws. Didnt even have to Embarassed . Another thing i need to do is bleed the coolant - how do i do this? And do you guys think it would be smart to wash engine bay with weak pressure hose, unfortunately my gf's driveway is dirt so engine bay is getting dusty.

Hope your all having a good laugh at me not knowing anything Smile .
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this might help
http://gb.detonated.org/mr2coolant/

Very Happy

Quote:

Hope your all having a good laugh at me not knowing anything Smile.

bah... we all started somewhere. Wink i've had the feral 10 years and theres still things about them i dont know.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 01 August 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some of the electronics done for the water injection last night.

I'm using a Jaycar Pulse Width Adjuster to control the duty cycle of my injectors.

Here is the initial board build up:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6596/wi16hy.th.jpg

I've also built a duty cycle counter/generator just to make it easier to bench test it all.

For a quick demo of the adjustability, I took these two pics:

In this one, the engine is at 41% duty (LED display), and the adjustment for this duty cycle range is set to +16 units, which results in an injector duty cycle of 54.8% (multimeter).

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6520/wi28pl.th.jpg

By changing the settings on the adjuster to -28 units, I've altered the output of the device to 20.2%.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9414/wi30su.th.jpg

This give me a lot more adjustability than I really need, and it's fairly cheap and simple (but, you have to build it yourself)....
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral,

Check these out.....look familiar ???http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6302/frontofferal9qe.th.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1059/sideofferal5te.th.jpg

Our cat "Felini" fights with this cat regularly Laughing Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 22:33

this might help
http://gb.detonated.org/mr2coolant/

Very Happy

Quote:

Hope your all having a good laugh at me not knowing anything Smile.

bah... we all started somewhere. Wink i've had the feral 10 years and theres still things about them i dont know.

ummm... will that actually drain all the coolant... ?

there is a pair of drain cocks under pretty much the centre console.. whip off the underbody lining and there are a pair of 10mm bolts in the pipes. undo those and it will drain more coolant.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes toof if you have the car level and undo both of those it will drain all the coolant except whats in the engine, last time I undid one and it only drained what was in that pipe, although I did the line to the radiator, so it didn't drain the radiator since that line is up the top. if you undo the one from the radiator you will loose all that pipe and the radiator.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 09:51]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is also a drain cock on the engine block but it is obscured by the air con pump if you have it.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NT scrub wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 22:22

. Another thing i need to do is bleed the coolant - how do i do this? anything Smile .

dude are you actually talking about draining all your coolant, or just bleeding the air out of you coolant lines?
NT scrub
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i meant draining all of the coolant out of the car. sorry about that.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having the car reversed up on ramps there is no need to drain the under body pipes or the stupid little drain cock on the block. i drain and refill the coolant up on the ramps for the last 10 years and have no problem draining the system or with air in the coolant system EVER.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 13:16

Feral,

Check these out.....look familiar ???http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6302/frontofferal9qe.th.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1059/sideofferal5te.th.jpg

Our cat "Felini" fights with this cat regularly Laughing Laughing

hahahaahahahahahaahhahahaaaaa ahha ahahh hahahaaaa
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got my pressure regulator for the water injection last night. It's all looking good, the pump will flow around 1 liter/minute against 75psi of pressure, which should be more than I need. I've just got to get the correct fittings and I can bench test it properly.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben,

Keep up the details on the water injection, very interested to keep up with the progress.

Feral,

I dont suppose you can share the significance (if any) regarding your avatar ?

I put the front adjustable bar on the other night.

I just used the standard drop links and have it in the tightest setting (as per the rear) Evil or Very Mad well i figure if you are going to do something you might as well go to the max Laughing Laughing

Anyway its great and i would highly recommend doing the swap a very worthwile investment. Got to try both a mix of high and low speed corners this morning from a good sweeper on the highway at 110 to a really tight roundabout doing 50 Evil or Very Mad

Basically it has stopped the low speed understeer and made transitions a lot more stable.

cant wait to get back on the track and experiment with the race tyres Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 02 August 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 08:53

Ben,

Keep up the details on the water injection, very interested to keep up with the progress.

Feral,

I dont suppose you can share the significance (if any) regarding your avatar ?

I put the front adjustable bar on the other night.

I just used the standard drop links and have it in the tightest setting (as per the rear) Evil or Very Mad well i figure if you are going to do something you might as well go to the max Laughing Laughing

Anyway its great and i would highly recommend doing the swap a very worthwile investment. Got to try both a mix of high and low speed corners this morning from a good sweeper on the highway at 110 to a really tight roundabout doing 50 Evil or Very Mad

Basically it has stopped the low speed understeer and made transitions a lot more stable.

cant wait to get back on the track and experiment with the race tyres Very Happy

good to hear scott i will definatley be doing this mod to my car
Pages (84): [ «  <  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:42:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021804094314575 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.