Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh either way i dont think itd make a huge difference

I think when the turbo goes on the bigger discs will be a must as the standard ones will heat soak pretty quickly i think

btw toof the sticker arrived today Sonnta hhahah did i leave a g off the end of my name in my pm
  Send a private message to this user    
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough !

I appreciate the comments, i can understand it would make it feel more sure footed especially on dodgy surfaces.

Let us know how the new set up works keen for the feedback.

I especially like the idea of it stopping HEAPS harder, may be good for the track. We will have to test them out once we get the skid pan day organised Very Happy

I also agree with your comments about the machining i am not so sure about that i would be getting an expert to have a look at that. Its all fine to just bolt in new bits but machining things out can have some disasterous effects, i know its only 1mm but its much better to be safe than sorry. at the end of the day brakes are the most important part of the car IMO, closely followed by the steering.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe naa you didnt put your name in yor pm. that was what came up on my netbanking statement,

the extra 20mm diamater and extra 3mm thickness is fairly significant.

more importantly there is a far greater choice of pads and rotors avaliable.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 19:18

fair enough !

I appreciate the comments, i can understand it would make it feel more sure footed especially on dodgy surfaces.

Let us know how the new set up works keen for the feedback.

I especially like the idea of it stopping HEAPS harder, may be good for the track. We will have to test them out once we get the skid pan day organised Very Happy

I also agree with your comments about the machining i am not so sure about that i would be getting an expert to have a look at that. Its all fine to just bolt in new bits but machining things out can have some disasterous effects, i know its only 1mm but its much better to be safe than sorry. at the end of the day brakes are the most important part of the car IMO, closely followed by the steering.

i guess i just got used to the celica which was fairly front biased.. just stock brakes with kevlar compound pads. a few of my local favourite roads have a number of corners whose approach is somewhat less then runway like. erins mr always felt a little rear end skittish under brakes the bigger fronts made a huge difference. however if you have somewhat average and skinny tyres on the front it locks too early. good tyres 195 or 205 makes a huge difference.

ive never done a side by side comparison but id be keen to.. i should given i have two of the cars here and i can even get the same tyres on the front lol. but from seat of the pants it pulls up way harder.

*edit*

oh and yeah i wouldnt want to make 1mm out of the hat surface there isnt really that much meat in there as it is.. id rather unevenly wear the pads which i think would be the greatets issue with the extra 1mm of inbound distance. assuming there are no clearance issues but nothing seems that cramped up in the front that it shouldnt fit. i guess we'll see though.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2005 09:36]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 19:23

hehe naa you didnt put your name in yor pm. that was what came up on my netbanking statement,

the extra 20mm diamater and extra 3mm thickness is fairly significant.

more importantly there is a far greater choice of pads and rotors avaliable.

yeah thats the reason why im doing it over the twin pistons
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey toof thanks for the sticker, looks hot Very Happy

although they are a pain in the arse to get off the wax paper, they were cut a bit deep and when i tried to pull the sticker up, i was peeling the top coat of wax off the paper, almost wrecked the sticker, putting it on was the easy part. people be warned Smile
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i said my car goes broom, i was refering to all your technical talk about cars, alas the joy rides wont commenece untill next weekend.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 27 August 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 01:54

When i said my car goes broom, i was refering to all your technical talk about cars, alas the joy rides wont commenece untill next weekend.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed Rolling Eyes
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 27 August 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 01:54

next weekend.

Such a common phrase when you build a car......

Wink
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 27 August 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah, isnt that the truth. Well, I know for a fact everything is done. Ive been told every weekend for the past 7 weeks or so, oh well.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got a serious offer on the NA.

The offer is $ 7750, what do ya reckon should i take it ?

The offer was with the 16s i was asking $ 8500

give me some feed back

also what do you guys reckon about this buddy club lip.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9085/redaw11withbuddyclublip1fe.th.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6780/buddyclublip7de.th.jpg

I am thinking of making one similar, maybe a bit deeper etc.

I rekon it looks a bit tougher without being over the top.

There was a guy selling one a while ago and wanted like $500 for it, so i am sure i can make one cheaper than that Rolling Eyes

bloody reckers want $ 200 for some crappy torn up one....what a joke, last time i got a quote from toyota they wanted $ 350 for each 1/2 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Feral has been nice enough to give me some tutorials via correspondance so i am going to give it a lash.

Let me know if you are interested. If there is sufficient interest i may be able to do a run of them.

If i get my skills up to speed i may even make some carbon fibre ones....what about it Martin.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 11:44]

SHINDIG
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HELP ME PLEASE....

I've got drama's with my beloved AW11. My body control module (the white box in the upper right of the drivers foot well)has busted leaving me with no headlights or gauges. Toyota only sells it with the entire front wiring loom for $2500. If anyone has one or knows anyone with a written off MR Email me PLEASE. If I don't get one soon I'll be trading it in. Please help me otherwise I'll be forced to buy a Falcon or a Commonwhore even worse maybe a Nissan.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easiest way to make what you want there ^^^ is to get yourself some urethane foam, glue it to the original lip and then shape it to how you want it with 80 grit sandpaper. (i am cetain the orignal buddy club lip was shaped off a standard lip, hence the simularities to the original one).
then fibreglass over the urethane shape when your happy, sand, sand, lil bit of bog, sand, prep, prime, sand, prep, paint.
then make the mold of it like i showed you in our lil tutorials. Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHINDIG wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 22:15

HELP ME PLEASE....

I've got drama's with my beloved AW11. My body control module (the white box in the upper right of the drivers foot well)has busted leaving me with no headlights or gauges. Toyota only sells it with the entire front wiring loom for $2500. If anyone has one or knows anyone with a written off MR Email me PLEASE. If I don't get one soon I'll be trading it in. Please help me otherwise I'll be forced to buy a Falcon or a Commonwhore even worse maybe a Nissan.

NewCastle eh.. we'll see if toof will PM you olds address, then you can go around and 'borrow' his from his 2 while he is sleeping..... Evil or Very Mad
seriously i am not sure where you can get one, best to hope someone has one they are wrecking or parting out. try starfire, not sure what he is doing with the one he was unfortunate to smash (if he still has it).
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 22:25

easiest way to make what you want there ^^^ is to get yourself some urethane foam, glue it to the original lip and then shape it to how you want it with 80 grit sandpaper. (i am cetain the orignal buddy club lip was shaped off a standard lip, hence the simularities to the original one).
then fibreglass over the urethane shape when your happy, sand, sand, lil bit of bog, sand, prep, prime, sand, prep, paint.
then make the mold of it like i showed you in our lil tutorials. Wink

Sweeeeeeet Very Happy

yep thats exactly what i planned on doing....obviously the tutorials haved payed off Laughing Laughing Laughing

only prob so far is getting the urethane foam, every place i have called or gone to just says "go to clark robber" but they dont have anything suitable...its all that soft crap Laughing

could you ask your local guy about his source
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how exactly do you mean busted??? has the plastic cracked/broken, are things (fuse, relay's etc) blown, has some of the wiring come out of place? is it fixable at all?

I don't know of any being wrecked, but with a little more info we maybe able to help you.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any canberrans willing to volunteer there ZE AW11 in a week or two for me to take a peek at in case i cant work out all the Vacuum lines etc once this engine gets back together after a full rebuild Smile

I thought i would remember but im starting to worry myself hahaha
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt you label everything?

masking tape and a texta are your friend when you pull an engien out. Wink
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 23:50

Any canberrans willing to volunteer there ZE AW11 in a week or two for me to take a peek at in case i cant work out all the Vacuum lines etc once this engine gets back together after a full rebuild Smile

i have the supercharged mr2 workshop manual i should be able to send you some pics from that if you want
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 21:36

Just got a serious offer on the NA.

The offer is $ 7750, what do ya reckon should i take it ?

The offer was with the 16s i was asking $ 8500

give me some feed back

also what do you guys reckon about this buddy club lip.

I am thinking of making one similar, maybe a bit deeper etc.

I rekon it looks a bit tougher without being over the top.

There was a guy selling one a while ago and wanted like $500 for it, so i am sure i can make one cheaper than that Rolling Eyes

bloody reckers want $ 200 for some crappy torn up one....what a joke, last time i got a quote from toyota they wanted $ 350 for each 1/2 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Feral has been nice enough to give me some tutorials via correspondance so i am going to give it a lash.

Let me know if you are interested. If there is sufficient interest i may be able to do a run of them.

If i get my skills up to speed i may even make some carbon fibre ones....what about it Martin.

hrrm offer dosent sound too bad scott guess its what you feel comfortable with.. I would say that its better off to have the cash than have it sitting in your garage for another couple of months but thats me.

As for the front lip im in if your gonna make a few!!! Ive remodeled my front lip a couple of times and im in need of a new one Laughing Laughing .

Carbon fibre sounds wicked but might not be ideal seeing that its very britle you may end up smashing it to pieces on the first driveway you bump into... you could allways use carbon with glass fibre (fiberglass) and therefore making it light strong and flexible
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw GUNMETAL ive seen one of those front bars on a aw11 driving past my work looks great alot better than in the pics
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 07:12

btw GUNMETAL ive seen one of those front bars on a aw11 driving past my work looks great alot better than in the pics

Sweeeeet !

Ok the guy has just called back and offered the full frieght of the $8,500. Theres no backing out now Crying or Very Sad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 28 August 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo ahh well its time to move on man good to hear you got the full ammount you were asking for then again its one clean mr2!!! hope you dont have too many withdrawal symptons...

Atleast you have some money to spend on the eaton m90 now Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've got a factory manual and all the photos I took while I was pulling mine apart. You know the number.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to hear he is paying up the $$. pitty to see one less gunmetal grey aw around Razz although it is one less that looks better then mine lol Smile

that front lip im definantly interested in. just as we need a replacement for erin's car and its not easy finding a stocker one. so yeah chalk one up for us.

the polyurethane engine mounts worked a treat. put them in on sunday and it drives heaps better and is no longer shaking around in the mount at the front. i suspect ill do the same to mine in the near future just to strengthen it up.

i used sikaflex 291 just casue i couldnt get 255 looks like its doing the job just fine. ill get some photos up soon.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHINDIG wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 22:15

HELP ME PLEASE....

mate have you ripped the bit out ? i imagine it will have a part number on it and will interchange between other toyotas. get the number and one of us can look ip up in the epc. local toyota around here never seem to interested in helping out with odd parts. bradstreet parts in kotara seem the best.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben thanks for the offer mate Smile

I have just ran into a snag with the rebuild , Toyota Australia dont have a full gasket set to suit the pre 89 AW11 4AGZE in stock so 21days ex Japan although they have the later 89 on gasket sets.

Anyone know what the differences would be with a 89 onwards 4AGZE gasket kit/set ?

Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 10:03

I've got a factory manual and all the photos I took while I was pulling mine apart. You know the number.

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't have to correct gasket for the inlet manifold, but, other than that, you should be right.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah what ben said the inlet manifold gasket will be for a small port not a big port
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200DET

Contact Warwick from Bowater Toyota in NZ:
Warwick Rogers
Phone: 0011 64 3 546 9269

He's been really good with hard to get bits for me. If they have the gasket set in stock you should get it in under a week and most likely a lot cheaper than Toyota Australia to boot.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 09:58

woohoo ahh well its time to move on man good to hear you got the full ammount you were asking for then again its one clean mr2!!! hope you dont have too many withdrawal symptons...

Atleast you have some money to spend on the eaton m90 now Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the encouragement, you are right i need to move on 16 years with one car is a long time. I allready have withdrawals i may take it out for a spin now...just to ease the pain Laughing Laughing

as for the eaton i dont think so.....not yet anyway Very Happy

priority is W2A intercooler, race seat and harness, coil overs, brakes then a CAGE Shocked ...oh and the aformentioned glass peices.

In respect to the spoiler what to people think about some brake ducts in it as well ? Will start a thread once i get some work under way.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoops, im a little dense today Embarassed

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 04:32]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brake ducts sound nice also a little more room to mount a w/a cooler would be nice ?

how did your research into coil overs go ? as im interested in some suspension spruce ups.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 13:59

In respect to the spoiler what to people think about some brake ducts in it as well ? Will start a thread once i get some work under way.

yeah the only thing i notice about the mr2 front brakes is that they are allready well ducted from the factory there is quite a big scoop on the brake disc sheild but if you could direct some air right at that duct it would be awesome...

roll cage oooh oooh ive allways thought about putting a half cage into the mr2 mainly for self preservation instead of chassis regidity would like to see how you go about getting that engineered....

Hey scott i wasnt sure if you understood my msg b4 but if your getting rid of your konis or whole strut springs etc let me know as im in need and going to be spending some money on my susspension soon..
SHINDIG
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Bradstreet is where I tried (work has an account with them). I pulled it out and theres no part number stamped on it. The fella at bradtreet contacted toyota tech support and they reckon its unique to the AW11 and there is no equivelant.
Whats happened is at some point it has over heated and the circuit has been burnt. My auto electrician has resoldered it 3 times, each time it only lasts a week or so. There is just nothing left for the solder to bond to so the joints just fall apart
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm in that casue *WHY* is it overheating ? perhaps a bung relay somewhere else in the system meaning it is drawing a bucket load of current and as a result cooking this unit ?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey 1200det, you can have a look at my aw11 if you want, I am usually free, if you want send me a PM

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 12:40]

SHINDIG
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 17:39

hmmm in that casue *WHY* is it overheating ? perhaps a bung relay somewhere else in the system meaning it is drawing a bucket load of current and as a result cooking this unit ?

Thats what I'm worried about but the auto electrician assures me that everything is sweet. If I can find a new one I'll make sure the entire system is checked so that it doesn't happen again.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for my ignorance shindig but can you please clarify the item, are you talking about the white box that has all the relay's and fuses in it? if so, is the burning out located to certain items? is it acctually your wires to the unit that are burning out?
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 15:46

GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 13:59

yeah the only thing i notice about the mr2 front brakes is that they are allready well ducted from the factory there is quite a big scoop on the brake disc sheild but if you could direct some air right at that duct it would be awesome...

roll cage oooh oooh ive allways thought about putting a half cage into the mr2 mainly for self preservation instead of chassis regidity would like to see how you go about getting that engineered....

Hey scott i wasnt sure if you understood my msg b4 but if your getting rid of your konis or whole strut springs etc let me know as im in need and going to be spending some money on my susspension soon..

yep, they do allready have a scoop on the backing plate, but my plan is to duct it from the front lip, i can get some fire rated flexible duct through some suppliers i know through work Very Happy

Yep there will be room for the W2A intercooler Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

spoken to a few people about cages and getting them engineered and everyone has a different idea of whats permissible and not etc etc.

Shane ie the 10 second cressida guy is going to give me some contacts as he has just got a cage enginnerd for his street car. Most of the other guys are track only so i am sure there will be some differences. I do want it to strengthen the chassis as well as protection as i want to do some road rallies ...maybe even targa. Hopefully being a 2 seater will make it easier to engineer.

Suspension....man how long have you guys got.

I have had qoutes from 8K down to $300 american for the 'ground control kit ...and everything in between....it really is pretty funny

I am confident i can get the existing struts properly engineered like Joshstixs for about 3K they will be rebuildable and totally adjustable for bump and rebound and will offer bump stop and height adjustability, coil captivity propper pillow mounts etc etc, Yuo will be able to change the rate as required and the dampers can be tuned to suit. i would say this is the minimun for racing while still be compromised enought to drive on the road.

The option by Paul Woods of MR2OC and TWOBRUTAL fame using the MRS ciol overs and modifying them just is not stacking up......unfortunatly. Its fine to get some teins or something like that but lets just say they are not plug and play..and thats just the start.

Other probs include...but not limitded to the following

Initial cost is still around 2K if someone can get them cheaper LET ME KNOW !!

spring and damper rates usually too low, as the MRS is a fair bit lighter than a boosted AW11...especially in therear !! ones i looked at had a 3kg front and 6kg rear spring...not much higher than what i have or a TRD sprind set, obviously you could change them but they are not a standard spring. They are tapered and offset wound so you are looking at around $500-600 to get some other rates made up..then you are probably going to need some secondary springs and the valving in the dampers may not be acceptable

most do not have any camber adjustment and chassis has to be redrilled....no biggy but you are prob going to need some cusco camber plates or similer CNC

Condition of struts if second hand, that is are they straight and are the dampers any good, getting a rebuild ??? still have not found anyone to do this in NSW let alone syd and the $$$$$$$for a joint in QLD Shocked Shocked Shocked

If you want to see the cheapest...dodgiest way to put coil overs in your car....check this out

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/380/stvsgcrrearcoilovers2fu.th.jpg

If you really want me to go into detail on this it may take some time...but as far as i am concerned he would be better off with the spring on the left

They have sunk to a new level Laughing Laughing of GHETTONESS

hope this covers it
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Happy 4000 replies fellas.

Sorry to hear about your NA Scott. I hope that one day I own a 10 car garage so that I never have to give any up.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 06:30

Sorry to hear about your NA Scott. I hope that one day I own a 10 car garage so that I never have to give any up.

AMEN, and have 9 AW11's filling them spots... Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive looked at the ground controll kits and i quite like them to me that looks like a very dodgy way of doing it. I thought you were supposed to weld the ground controll kits onto the strut at the preferred heght then cut the standard spring perch offf altogether....
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHINDIG wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 22:05

toof wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 17:39

Thats what I'm worried about but the auto electrician assures me that everything is sweet. If I can find a new one I'll make sure the entire system is checked so that it doesn't happen again.

id be concerened about putting in a new unit.. esp given the difficulty in getting them. without knowing why it is cooking ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What gearbox oil does everyone use in their lsd gearboxes????

Do you need to use a lsd oil with heilecal lsds??? i thought you would have to
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i need to pick a different oil as what ive got now is too stiff when cold. sweet when warmed up but horrible when cold.

ive heard a few people with e51/e58 boxes giving the penrite limsilp 90 a good rap.. also the castrol syntrax - not sure of the model.

youll get a laugh at this.. i was ripping into my mate who drove into his letter box. and he comes back with this

Quote:

Dash says:
hehe, i didn't so much drive the car into the mailbox, just that the cars dimensions were slightly different than usual that particular morning
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 29 August 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahh had he been drinking....

yeah i hear the penrite stuff is good i told my mechanic to throw any lsd stuff thinner than the castrol saf-x i was using in if he could then if i had an issue with it we could change it later...

Would be nice just to have no crunches... Interestingly tho the gearbox is from an sw20 turbo so in dont know if he has had to switch the bellhousings off my gearbox or if it just bolted on have to see i guess
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no he hadnt been drinking thats the sad bit Razz

if the box was from a sw20 turbo it would be an e153 which to my knowledge is pretty much the same as the internals of the e51 bar the bell housing. although i imagine the two are interchangable (bellhousings that is)
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

if the box was from a sw20 turbo it would be an e153 which to my knowledge is pretty much the same as the internals of the e51 bar the bell housing. although i imagine the two are interchangable (bellhousings that is)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well the guy that had it b4 i think was using it on a 20v turbo so i guess it should be fine i havent had any complaints from the mechanic so i suppose its all worked out fine....

yeah well there are no excuses for your friend then Razz

cant wait to get the car back to plonk the sticker on it

hopefully today but with cars they allways take longer than expected to get finnished
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 06:55

davedave wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 06:30

AMEN, and have 9 AW11's filling them spots... Very Happy

Thanks guys and i agree with you both Very Happy

The NRMA did an inspection this morning....very thorough as well.

He said it was the best one he had seen Very Happy he could not believe there was no rust and that EVERYTHING worked.....even the rear demister Razz

I AM GOING TO BE SO SAD Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 07:32

Ive looked at the ground controll kits and i quite like them to me that looks like a very dodgy way of doing it. I thought you were supposed to weld the ground controll kits onto the strut at the preferred heght then cut the standard spring perch offf altogether....

DONT GET ME STARTED Laughing Laughing Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 10:29

DONT GET ME STARTED Laughing Laughing Laughing

ahh i see its that dodgy huh....
Looked like he had just placed the ground contol kit over the shock Laughing Laughing Laughing
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 10:01

It is difficult getting info on the gearbox oils for the JDM stuff.

i am using Castrol SYNTRAX 75W/90.

castrol Australia did some research for me and thats what they came up with and i am Very Happy

it works very well no crunches at all and warms up quickly so good for daily driving, but i also have no complaints on the track.

As far as i know the gearbox in mine is the same as the SW20 Turbo, only know this as the speedo part numbers are the same and looks the same as some pics i had of both boxes.

For some reason tho i thought it was called an E53...i really dont understand these gearbox codes Razz Embarassed Razz Embarassed

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im unsure of the gearbox codes too i thought it was an e58 or e52 and thought the n/a one was a c51 or c52....
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 10:55

yeah im unsure of the gearbox codes too i thought it was an e58 or e52 and thought the n/a one was a c51 or c52....

e52/e58 are fwd transaxles with the linkages on the inlet side where the e51 box is rwd transaxle (what we have) with the linkages on the exhaust side.

thde sw20 turbo box is an e153 bascailly the same guts as our e51's just different bell housing.

the na boxes are the c5X c54 iirc was the last revison in our cars. not sure about the fwd transaxles.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh im sure my mechanic is cursing me atm and has figured out the bellhousing needs swapping
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought this might be worth a look if some1 is considering buying an sc maybee from interstate

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-MR2-sports-coupe-SUP ERCHARGED_W0QQitemZ4570465695QQcategoryZ18290QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem
mighty_boy
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gun metal: id be interested to hear how things go with the front bar... provided i can find some time lying around somewhere i want to pull the front of mine off and remove the bog and dodgy bits and start from scratch...

how many people have had the middle section crack or come apart from the rest of the front bar?
i think if i can resin that back together hopefully it shouldnt scape as much as it does... seems to really pull the rest of the bar down at the moment.

Got a new clutch installed just recently, just a standard replacement but seems to hold up pretty well Smiley =
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 30 August 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gday mighty long time no hear..
Pages (84): [ «  <  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:34:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022723913192749 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.