Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 14:45

looks very mean scott Smile

who is going to the show on sunday ? i will be coming not sure about erin.. would be good to catch up with some of the aw11 crew.

also who is going to the agm on tuesday ?

Thanks !

I am very keen to go to the Toyfest, if i have enough time i would really like to enter its just that i dont think i can stay all day, and once the car is in there you cant leave till after 3;00 Sad . Hopefully i will at least be able to get out there and have a look even if i dont enter.

Will absolutely be there on Tuesday 4th. I can literally see the venue from where i work Very Happy should be a good night.
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i cant justify the early start but i should be there some time.
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a reminder that if you are going to the AGM, you need to RSVP, otherwise security at the gate will NOT let you in!

Email Grant grantc@allprint.com.au and let him know that you are coming.

Dave
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
already done and done.

although if we are going to toyota headquarters we can plan a heist for some of those parts made from unobtainium.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 05:59]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott

looking very nice any idea on the final price???

as for the dyno straps i know they arent nessecary and the cars not doing 200km/hr but if it does come off the dyno unexpectantly then.....
It cant be too much of an issue to put straps on it i was watching them dyno a skyline and it was sliding all over the place and they were just all standin arround watchin. I wouldnt want to be anywhere near that thing if it came off but thats just me

as for the agm i would like to go but i cant guarantee i will have transport so no go Sad
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks also, final price....wel its not finished yet and i reckon with current costs of material and labour spent so far it has prob cost around $1200 Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Man this thing really has been a major investment !!!!!

how much to charge to make another one i really dont know, maybe have a look at it close up and make me an offer.

If i have to make a mold for a 1 off its prob less than $100 for materials but the labour is intense !!!

If a couple of you are really interested i will consider it for about $400-500 each. I know thats bloody expensive but that will be for something you can just put some colour on and bolt it on, using the existing hardware. It really depends on how well the mold works and how much extra work i have to do to each one to make a finished product. Because its in one peice you cant bolt it in in two halves like the standard one and as such will require some more work after it comes out of the mold due to the complexity of the existing mounting points. If you want to do that work yourself maybe i could do them for about $ 300 and you can finish them yourself.

Give me some feed back, hopefully i will have it on the car and in colour by Toyfest or at least by the MR2 AGM so you can have a look for yourself.

If there is heaps of interest i may investigate getting a professional shop to make the mold and they can make the copies.

Just let me know what you think is a fair thing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would do some of the work for $300 i dont mind getting my hands dirty

Looks good its a bit hard to visualise with it being white and the rest of the car grey maybee some1 can photoshop it so that it matches the colour of the car
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm already in line for the engine lid.... don't wanna be greedy.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys i have a serious problem....

i replaced my rear wheel bearings casue something in the back end was making a *horrid* noise. now im not too stressed over replacing the bearings cause once i took them out they were pretty shagged.

however having just put it all back together.... it is still making the hoirrid noise.. im assuming it is one of the CV joints.

has anyone had experience trying to get a replacement.. ie: what can interchange.. people seem to say the outer will swap with an st185 but these dont exactly grown on trees.. ive heard rumor perhaps a camry v6 ? or st184 ?

need help urgent Sad
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof they would be the same as a fwd so they are easy to get!i have a few spare if you get stuck!
mick
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as fwd.. but which fwd..

ive just epc'd the part number 43460-19235 which is the RHS Outer which i suspect is the cactus one.. and the part number is unique to aw11's that said im sure it would interchange despite not being the same part number.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof ST185 or ST165 is it, ST184 and ST162, aren't beefy enough you'll shit them in no time, camry ones are way differant, looked into this during my celica convo, just get your rebuilt, they don't cost much, about $160 each shaft for a full rebuild.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welll reco would be my thought but will ppl be able to get the bits to reco this joint being an odd joint ?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well a dude reco'd my ST165 driveshafts, and they are impossible to find parts for not being released in oz. no point me giving you his name since he is here in canberra, but they cost me $150 each shaft
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cage and inner would be the same as a gze rolla{i take it you have a gze setup?}
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as much as i hate to say it speak to whitzl he knows a guy that reco's driveshafts and i have seen his work first hand and he does a good job. The driveshafts in q were 20v ones so he should be able to do gze ones too
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 26 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill do some investigating who can do them locally for me tomorrow. *sigh*

i havent driven her for a fortnight over this bearing issue and it will be again a good wait before i can drive again Sad

$150 per shaft eh... any idea on what just a replacement set of cages/bearings/races would cost and i can put it all together myself.. im guessing probaly $50 per joint along those lines ? 2 x 50 + 50 labour... hmmm its almost worth just paying to get the whole thing done in one hit and picking up warranty on them at the same time.

so are people sure they are the same as the st185 ? both inner and outer ? as im guessing no one will know what im talking about if i go asking for aw11sc ones.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if they are the same as ST185 ones, but they are the same as ST165 ones, but people probably won't know what they are either Laughing

and I am mostly sure ST165 and ST185 ones are the same, mayube ask that on the GT4 dedicated thread.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamb131 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 20:00

I'm already in line for the engine lid.... don't wanna be greedy.

So much fibreglass and resin and so little time Rolling Eyes

Dont worry you can have both.

BTW whats the story with the avatar it looks like an old Roller pano (about 75 model ??), my old man used to have one for work. It must have been years ago i have not seen one of those for ages
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ive got the shafts out.. anyone want to give me a ride to the cv joint so i cen get them to work their magic.

Sad
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 14:21

ok ive got the shafts out.. anyone want to give me a ride to the cv joint so i cen get them to work their magic.

Sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing i am happy to lend you one of my bikes or rent out one of the AW11s Laughing Laughing Laughing

one word.............COURIER Very Happy

Could you not steal the Miss's car ?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i owuld stooge the miss's mr but she is at work.. with said mr... i cant justify couriering it three suburbs over Razz ill run them over tomorrow morning.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/IMG_3049.JPG

oh and i put a quick note for myself lest i jem it all back together and try and drive off.

edit: hmm for those that cant read it "No oil in gearbox"

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 07:10]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 11:50

so miss in english it comes down to 3 things the size of the heat exchanger but also the flow rate of the water and the amount of water in the system?

Yeah, kinda. There are heaps of variables in heat transfer equipment design so it can depend on heaps of things.

However, the main things that anyone without having worked with or studied this in detail will have to look at in designing a system are what you have said. Another thing to consider which is vital to a high heat transfer rate is the radiator (or the cooler to cool the water down).

Sorry, tired and havent really said much.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i got the car rego'd today. Had my first real drive tonight, my GOD is it good. Thats with a boost leak and a small zorst. Had a big fang around the twisty bits down near the beaches (manly etc) and again i am notified how crap the tyres i have on it are at the front (dirty package deal hankooks) understeers so easily you cant have any fun except for powersliding out of corners.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 27 September 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 01:36

Well i got the car rego'd today. Had my first real drive tonight, my GOD is it good. Thats with a boost leak and a small zorst. Had a big fang around the twisty bits down near the beaches (manly etc) and again i am notified how crap the tyres i have on it are at the front (dirty package deal hankooks) understeers so easily you cant have any fun except for powersliding out of corners.

powersliding is good Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*woot* i just picked up my reco'd drive shafts. im off to put them in Smile they better have been the culprit.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 11:39

*woot* i just picked up my reco'd drive shafts. im off to put them in Smile they better have been the culprit.

how much it cost does it look like a good job and where did you get them done????
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 12:24

toof wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 11:39

how much it cost does it look like a good job and where did you get them done????

there's a place in Blacktown where I go. Garling road in Kings Park (off Valediction which is off Vardys Road. There is a 4wd place on the right hand side, go in the driveway after them. (but don't cause its a steep mofo) and the driveshaft joint is on the left hand side about 3 or 4 units down. They weren't too bad, about $70 a joint IIRC
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ddb mechanical at cardiff - newcastle.
$145 per shaft...

yes the job looks ok. the joint matched up to st185 ones.

but... it still hasnt resolved my problem.

guys put your heads together.. it sounds like a bung wheel bearing or cv.. both of which have just been changed.

when i take a right turn or press the throttle and load it up it makes a rattling kind of sound from the back right..

*help*
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
..................... Confused
dunno could be susspension related
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dosent sound like it., sounds more like drivetrain.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine/gearbox mounts???
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like like a fwd with a dead cv joint
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof, is it a grinding type noise? more present when backing off?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn! from what you describe I have the exact same problem, every time I turn left though, If i do it really sharp and hit some accelerator I get a mad clunking sound from the rear drivers side. I have pulled the bearings and cv numerous times but not that.

hmm I might check the engine mounts, but It doesn't really sound like them
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as toof my first thought was bearings, that didn't help, then I thought cv's, had a look they are still good, then I though suspension, but there is nothing wrong there, pulled the shock out and its fine.

I too am at a loss, was thinking next it could be the LSD crapping out, but it is deffinatly coming from the right hand rear, very near the wheel
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly it isnt anywhere near the diff. it sound just like a wheel bearing or outer cv letting go.

feral: yeah it is like a grinding noise.

my last thoguht is the tie rod end ball joint has a litte play in it. so ill replace that.. once ive done that if it osent fix it im at a total loss.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my E51 gearbox has had a grinding/scrapeing noise ever since i got the 1/2 cut. i can just hear it while coasting, and when i back off it's louder. the only thing i have put it down to is the input shaft bearing on the gearbox.
it's been like it since 99 and doesnt seem to be getting worse yet (though sometimes it sounds louder than other times).
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It might sound odd, but, have you checked the nuts on the sway bar drop links? They make a really ansty noise when they wear out...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 08:09

It might sound odd, but, have you checked the nuts on the sway bar drop links? They make a really ansty noise when they wear out...

yeah mine clunk all the time
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill try it although it isnt a clunk. its a constant grinding whenim turning or accelerating.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks feral but its deffinatly not coming from the gearbox, deffinatly from the back wheel area. and with mine it usually happens when all the weight gets shifted to the rear right wheel with the accelerator pushed.

ben, well the nuts on my swaybar is all tight, so that ain't it. I used to get a mad swaybar clunk on the rear, but my bushes were so far worn, got new ones and it was fixed.

yeah maybe the ball joint or something, I am thinking of taking it into pedders and getting one of those 28 point checks done, that might tell me something
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toof - I'm not sure, I've never had any grinding..

Wiso - You've got fairly new dampers right? Check the gland nuts are tight, one of mine worked loose a couple of weeks after I put the konis in. You can tighten them with a big set of multi-grips though the spring...
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 28 September 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the dampers aren't new, I put them in when I did the red mr2 up over a year ago, these whole struts were on that, but I swapped them all over before I got rid of her,

already checked the strut on that rear and its all good, oh and you can't fit multi grips through the springs I have in the rear its wound pretty tight, I pulled the spring out to check it.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mostly likely not, but maybe just something simple as a rock or something jammed or protruding into the caliper grinding against the disc
i know it doesnt explain the turning and accelerating conditions but its happened to me before makes rotational nosise on turns and all it was was metal shims on cliper unsecured
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
possible it could be something stuck in the caliper but i seriously doubt it just given how many times ive have the back end pulled part over the last week.

i have rel;ativly new brake pads - <500km old. so i even swapped them out for the old ones which still had reasnable meat on them to test Sad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah same I had the brakes apart again yesterday when I was having a look at the strut, nope nudda.

and nope my engine mounts are fine, so thats out.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my enigne mounts are tops. not even sagged a little.

im thinking of sikiaflexing them up just for some extra strength. worked a treat on erins car./
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toof,

everything you have described as the problem you have allready checked ...cvs, bearings, brakes and suspension.

Maybe i missed something earlier but did you have both inner and outer CVs on both sides redone ?? also how about both wheel bearings ?

If the noise changes on and off load sounds more like gearbox or CVs. In my experience the wheel bearings noise only chaged with lateral loading...throttle did not change anything.

How does it sound now compared to the old CVs ?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have replaced both wheelbearings. one was shagged the other wasnt far behind.

both innner and out cv's on both drive shafts rebuilt.

the gearbox is fat's old box which was rebuilt not long ago.

everything seems bolted up tight.. nothing loose.. i had it lifted up and driving the wheels and couldnt hear any noises.

this all started after i got a wheel alignment. that afternoon it started making a very slight ticking noise like a wheel bearing at first. i assumed it was an old bearing and loading it up at a different angle casued it to give up. given they were 15 yr old bearings i wasnt fussed replacing them anyway.

that slight noise beccame quite bad after a bit of driving and i bascially havent driven it since other then to test it after ive been replacing each costly costly piece Sad
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only thing that feels a little iffy is the outer tie rod end on the RHS it has a little play in it. other then that everythying feels sweet.

that tie rod end i could imagine it could make a *clunk* noise if they [play was enough but not a constant grinding/rattle sound.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aparantly the tie rod ends do need replacing every 100k or so
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it made a single clunk sound as i accelerated id believe the tie rod end but it just dosent seem like a tie rod problem... although ill repalce it anyway jsut casue its a bit pear shaped
Sad
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It couldn't be something stupid like a tire rubbing on the bodywork after your allignment could it? (sorry, not sure what rubber you're running).
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
195/50/15 so i doubt it would be rubbing and i cant see any rub marks either.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running out of ideas, you could just keep going until it breaks Cool
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mounts,exhaust or something touching under load,not an lsd with open driveshafts?because they will seem fine for awhile then get noisey.without looking and hearing its really shooting in the dark.
mick
there are so many things like clutch spigots,broken or bent clutch fingers etc etc
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm it sounds pretty nasty soi couldnt imagine its got much to go Sad

infact it sounds down right scary.

im almost convinced its something loose etc but i just cant find it.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has the oringal drive shafts from my car that had an lsd im pretty sure it was a viscous coupling lsd. now it has fats box with a clutchpack lsd using the stub shafts from fats box onto the original lsd shafts in my car.

it dosent sound like its from the diff. it sound right down next to the wheel. you can hear it at the far RHS.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 29 September 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
well it does sound like we have the same problem, I have mine booked in for a steering suspension check tomorrow, hopefully that will give me something to work with, cause its really starting to piss me off Mad
Pages (84): [ «  <  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:59:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.016422033309937 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.