Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 02 November 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doooooooooods,

Its all happening !!

Josh,

Love the power and on only 10 PSI......as per davedaves calcs its going to be makeing some serious mumbo with 20 + PSI...cant wait to see that Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad !!!!!! i think a more efficient intercooler set up may be in order, BTW what were the inlet temps during that run ?????, i also notice the 50 PSI tyre pressure and where max power arrived Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now what happen to your nice avatar ?????...i can understand the new one but think i prefer the old one tho.

Now as for the crown there is no way i am letting it go to scrap, the plan is to get it running...hopefully this Friday night and get it back to my place.....then decide from there Rod, Luke and Steve are all very enthusiastic and are keen to see another Crown so if it goes all right the "plan" is to make it the daily / tow car and turn the SC into a race car....possibly road regod until it gets too out of control and ends up looking like that one that 4agte previously posted.

Davedave, i hope to swing by late this arvo / tonight after i do some work on the crown, what time do you intend on getting/leaving there ??? PS i like the 3S install in that NZ car esp the IC....very interesting

Feral, Whats been happening ? can you give us an update
  Send a private message to this user    
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 02 November 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 07:55

Why not?

It's a chunk of steel and alloy. Does it really matter who built it?

I keep looking at a 13B myself....

you aren't the only one...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 02 November 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nahh sorry dont have any more pics i pulled it from a thread about boot mounted i/c's on mr2oc might have a poke arround see what i can find

Yeah i think its not that well done i can see the thinking behind it tho. I have a feeling only by looking at the photos that the rear end may be a custom fiberglass item as there is nowhere for the bootlid etc to bolt to.

The side exit exhaust would be loud but not as loud as his screamer pipe!!!

The air inlet i would probably have ducted from underneath the car or the side but maybee he is going to duct it from the top dunno...

As for the chassis im sure if there is enough bracing then it should be fine i was just thinking about crumple zones etc.. Im not planning to cut up that much of my car maybee a hole about 1/3 the size as my i/c is going to stand up pretty much compared to his which is lying flat.

Good work with the crown scott im sure that it would make an awesome towing car. A 1UZ Crown as a towe car for the mr2 would be a pretty sweet thing...

speaking of mr2's scott sold the n/a yet????
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 02 November 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott: I should be around there from about 7pm tonight and I usually finish up sometime between 10 and 11. Give me a ring if you need another brain in starting the crown.

Tonights mission (if I choose to accept it) is to make brackets for the AFM, coolant filler neck and various ones for heater hoses/fuel hoses/wiring conduits. This should prepare me for my assembly checklist I have made.

I'm predicting this lot will take me 31 hours, but I usually have to times my estimates by 3 Sad. It's a lot of work before Wednesday

1) Check the timing belt now it's all out and with a bit more space.
2) Plug the intercooler before I forget again
3) Install turbo housing
4) Check, paint and reinstall actuator bracket
5) Reinstall turbo
6) Reinstall dump
7) Reinstall manifold
8 ) Reinstall air con pump
9) Reinstall v-belt tensioner
10) Reinstall alternator and bracket
11) Reinstall belt and adjust tensioner
12) Reinstall water and vacuum pipes
13) Reinstall AFM
14) Reinstall intercooler piping
15) Reinstall exhaust
16) Fill oil - with the good stuff
17) Fill with water

Start the bastard
If all goes well, remaining tasks will be

18) run up to operating temperature and flush water.
(don't know if this is better to run with a hose in it and circulate the water, or if this way, the cold water won't heat up enough before it hits the motor and cracks something - will take advice on this one)

19) Fill with the Toyota red coolant shizzle
20) Check the wiring, ie any spare wires
21) Tidy up wiring, install conduits and eleccy tape
22) Install boost controller
23) Install boost gauge
24) Install intake temp sensor
25) Install turbo timer
26) Install alarm
27) Reinstall interior
28) Reinstall bonnet carpet and plastic crap
29) Reinstall boot linings etc
30) Clean interior and exterior
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 02 November 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kind of scoop would you use on the boot

as far as boot mounted i\c go, If I had have kept my red mr2 I would have fixed it up and made it a pure track car, mounted an i/c in the boot, I would have put 2 circular air ducts off each side of the boot, fez style and had them duct down through pipes into the cooler. I would have done some pretty cool stuff with that car.

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweeeeeet,

i will drop in on the way home Very Happy

and man i love list Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing i would be allowing at least 100 hours to do all that !!!!

You are definitely going to be burning the midnight oil...that is for SURE

as for item 18 i think filling, warming up then flushing is safer than sticking the hose in it. However i have done it plenty of time before with cars other than the AW11. I just filled up the sytem then started the engine with the rad cap off and the lower radiator hose just slipped on let the engine run for a while then drop off the lower hose and turn on the tap to keep it filled then slip back on the hose and repeat the process until the water is crystal, give the engine a bit of a rev as well. never had any probs but would be interested to see what other think !

As for items on the list i will look after items 30 and 31 for you. What you say there is no item 31.......there is now...... TEST DRIVE IT Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I think 100 hours is probably on the money, hence my 30 x 3 estimate.

The missus has already offered to take care of 30, she's such a good girl Smiley =. As for item 31, the first test drive will be part of item 18 'run up to operating temperature' Smiley =
(I have actually driven it up and down the street a few times, albeit with a lot of engine problems)

Although we could make item 31, take Scott for a run around the block Wink I'd love to add 'and plaster one of those stupid speed grins on his face', but I'm not a fan of doing silly sh1t on the street and even less of a fan of doing silly things with other people in the car.

And as previously mentioned, if I can get the install looking half as neat as your SC's, then I'll be a happy man.

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGTE, no still not sold Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Mad Shocked Confused Sad Smile Laughing Razz Embarassed Wink Crying or Very Sad Very Happy Very Happy

1UZ crown Very Happy , althought they reckon they tow pretty well stock......time may tell !!

Dave,

Lokking forward to it and i totally agree with you, doesnt mean we can still have some fun !!!!

And i appreciate the comments about the install...it certainly is very neat Very Happy ....pity i cant take any credit for it Crying or Very Sad
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tidy!!! your SC is tidier then my setup.. and mines factory..
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would this be a good place to ask if any1 has an aw11 supercharger engine cover? ive got the aus spec and well, it has pathetic airflow
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read .T.'s For sale thread, he has one in there.

I've never had any probs with the NA lid though, how'd you measure the airflow?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some people in the US have cut out the drip sheilds to improve air flow with a standard engine cover.
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i spose i could start cutting and drilling etc, but i would rather just get the sc cover, its got perfect vents cut into it already!
my aus spec aw11 has a gze MAP transplanted into it, hence i require the better airflow than the NA lid.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the s/c lid wont allign with with the n/a engine lid catch as on the s/c it needs to clear the i/c you will either need to cut and weld the catch or weld a bar onto the latch so that it reaches the catch but then it will probably foul on the i/c. The other option is to use bonnet pins wich i have found to work well. Your correct about the stock n/a lid not really having any flow of air like the s/c engine lid
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 03 November 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte im sorry i dont really understand what part willget caught?
do you mean the catch where the cover actually locks into place?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The catch for the ZE is in the middle of the car.

From my car...

Standard catch:
http://www.ben.foo.cc/20v1web.jpg

Removed:
http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/catchoff.jpg

New one tacked on:
http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/day6/latch.jpg

Painted:
http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/day9/latch.jpg

Finished:
http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/day12/Laura.jpg
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben.....you are a show off Laughing Laughing the 20 V looked cool...pity theres buggerall TORQUE!!

Theres been some serious work done around the back of your car eh

What i have seen someone do running the GZE with stock IC location and the NA lid they simply cut out a hole appropriate to match up with IC and put some open mesh underneath. Looked ok. tho i have seen some very dodgy engine lid cut outs....worse than the Ghetto fix Crying or Very Sad

Update on the Crown....

All looks good, fluids, points plugs, diff etc etc

Turned it over by hand and seems all good

Hope to get a battery in it tonight and fire it up Very Happy ......cross your fingers...it looks like it was 15 years ago it was last started.

Also had a good look underneath and around the bodywork there is basically no rust, the only bit i could find was very minor at the bottom of the doors Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds great GUNMETAL!!!
i know who to call when i need to take my car to get tuned Laughing Laughing

as for using the n/a engine cover from experience the s/c one is about 1/3 the weight of the n/a one as its fiberglass so there is also a weight advantage + it looks better but im sure the n/a engine lid with the cutout would work a treat aswell

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But you gain the 'steal me' factor. Got to love the sleeper Smiley =
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep....keep laughing...i have not even started it yet Laughing Laughing Laughing but dont worry i have my timing light dwell meter and feeler gauges ready for action Very Happy
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a spare SC engine lid and will be willing to chop the latch out of the wreck if you want it...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 13:56

But you gain the 'steal me' factor. Got to love the sleeper Smiley =

I think mine looks more of a sleeper with a blue engine lid its kind of grown on me have to paint/repair it one day
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 04 November 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 13:14

Theres been some serious work done around the back of your car eh

It looks nothing like that anymore, I've got to get around to putting it back together again one day....
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and so the shit continues. I worked out why my boost was spiking... the line from the actuator to the boost controller had actually fallen off... because the plastic hose joiner had snapped... thats right snapped. How the fucking hell does a hard plastic joiner snap when nothing has touched it......... Mad. So anyway, this cause the boost to spike 20+ psi, and inturn has caused massive blowby. Ill let you guys know what is wrong, but my car is now smokey the bandit.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats no good man i feel sorry for your pistons...

good time to rebuild it then i guess
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah rebuild it.. Another few months off the road. Fantastic. I did see eggy or something a red s/c mr2 down near the beaches today tho.... He liked my smoke.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you could allways just source another 4age block and rebuild it with gze internals
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but i suppose you have to work out weather to rebuild to normal cheap spec or all out. I think all out internals are around 2.5k
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:07

and so the shit continues. I worked out why my boost was spiking... the line from the actuator to the boost controller had actually fallen off... because the plastic hose joiner had snapped... thats right snapped. How the fucking hell does a hard plastic joiner snap when nothing has touched it......... Mad. So anyway, this cause the boost to spike 20+ psi, and inturn has caused massive blowby. Ill let you guys know what is wrong, but my car is now smokey the bandit.

AW man that really sucks Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 22:32

yeah rebuild it.. Another few months off the road. Fantastic. I did see eggy or something a red s/c mr2 down near the beaches today tho.... He liked my smoke.

That would have been my cousin - he isn't on here. Number plate is EGY-00? (forget the number). Isn't an s/c though. Just an n/a.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 06:26

Spanktown wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:07

AW man that really sucks Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

That does suck!

Are you sure it's blowby and not the turbo though?
In testing my beastie, I'd broken the same line. My turbo was pushing so hard that it was making 5PSI even with a 1/2 inch outlet unplugged on the intercooler Shocked. When I took the intercooler lines off I noticed a heap of oil from the turbo. I pulled the turbo compressor housing off and the inside of it was covered from @rsehole to breakfast time. I think because the turbo was spinning so hard it was pushing oil past the seal. Anyways, my point was, maybe it's a turbo seal?!?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 06 November 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look in the turbo see if its full of oil.. and a quick compression test should tell you if the bottom end is cactus. i hope it isnt. would be a real pain to have to pull it all down again... i know jsut where you are Sad
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Just posting this here in case you haven't seen it, MR2 cruise on the 27th to Terrigal, more details here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=85403&start=0&rid=3535&S=d8a249b7861 e665586fc94c4b9fb7f0c
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo is brand spanking new gt2535. I would rather its the engine than the turbo.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do they give warranty with turbos? Wink
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 16:50

turbo is brand spanking new gt2535. I would rather its the engine than the turbo.

hahhah yeah they are a bit pricey
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=85686&start=0&rid=3115&S=32ab7328f5b c1534a4ac20bae4841d1f

this might interest people... twin piston brakes.. bolt on upgrade to the stock system. in newcastle so if you want me to pick them up i can bring them to the next mr2 club meet, else im in sydney on a fairly regular basis
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 01:27

true, but i suppose you have to work out weather to rebuild to normal cheap spec or all out. I think all out internals are around 2.5k

I'll sell you my engine if you want.....
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 07 November 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you still have that? send me an email.
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 19:25

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=85686&start=0&rid=3115&S=32ab7328f5b c1534a4ac20bae4841d1f

this might interest people... twin piston brakes.. bolt on upgrade to the stock system. in newcastle so if you want me to pick them up i can bring them to the next mr2 club meet, else im in sydney on a fairly regular basis

Are these a true bolt on swap? In other words, remove original calipers, and bolt on, replacements? Disc etc remains the same?

Dave
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much, you need to cut a small amount of the dust cover away.
Be careful though if these calipers don't come with the pad mounting/shim kit. It took me a very long time with Toyota parts to get these in (about 3 months). Admittedly, that was because or ordering and followup errors from Toyota Australia.

The disc is slightly different, but I'm sticking with the AW11 disc because they are taller and easier to get as parts. I have only used them up and down the street, so I can't comment on their performance yet.

The ST185 (twin piston) rotor on the left and the AW11 (89) on the right.
As you can see, the AW11 one is a couple mm taller, but the ST185 is a couple of mm thicker.
http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1743.JPG http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1744.JPG

Here's some pictures of the calipers compared to the stock AW11 ones.
http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1748.JPG http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1749.JPG http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1750.JPG

And on the car.
http://mr2.scattered.com.au/image.php/size/150/image/IMGP1764.JPG

Cheers,
Dave
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well amost.

the outer arc (along the edge of the disc) is physically larger then the stock aw11 caliper and requires you to trim about an inch off each edge of the dust shield.

otherwise completly bolt on. existing line and everything.

my engineer has aprooved this mod no worries. it does bring the brake bias forward somewhat but i personally prefer the nose aimed brakes.. the extra weight in the tail seems to casue the back to stay firmly planted. and having the braking at the front more i find is better for surfaces that tend to change or be a little average... ie: the roads i seem to spend a bit of time on.

both earlier in this thread and on a few more ive gone into some detail about the swaps and other brake options..

nrext week after my exams are over im investigating a little more (ive already got the parts just need to fit up) the option of the ST185 single piston caliper on the 278x26mm disc. i have this feeling they should work with minor mods.

once i do this ill take some good photos and measurements of all items and write it all up for 10/10ths.

ive spoken to a few people on club runs re this setup, the twins work a treat but i feel *may* be unsuitable for track use due to the somewhat limited pad selection.. bendix metal or ebc standard.. ebc dont make a green stuff or higher, TRD have discontinued their pads for it.... your other option would be to get QFM to whip up some customs onto your existing backing plates (or new laser cut plates) i havent gone down this path but i believe they are well priced and eaisly avaliable.

alternativly this is rumoured and from looking at the catalogue ( havent confrimed by trial fitting though) the pad from a ~95 subaru legacy turbo will fit perfectly into the caliper... and possibly is the same/similar caliper. given im sure toyota outsource the manufacture of the calipers anyway (sumitomo ?) the subaru pad is avaliable in green stuff and i think higher as we;ll although i havent confirmed.

the big single piston caliper has pads avaliable in just about every flavour from el-budgo though to top shelf rally items, so avaliablitly and pad choice is easy. additionally it utilises the 278x26 instead of the 257x22 rotor giving signifiantly more volume to dissapate heat and also a greater moment of application force giving significantly greater breaking.

give it till next week and ill do the full run down with pictures and fitments once i get some time off.

with a bit of luck it may even be this sunday.... the miss is working and im free from exams Razz (im pretty sure she is working, she'll kill my forgetful self if im wrong)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes they are a bolt on upgrade but there isnt a huge selection of pads available for them..

Aparantly e46 m3 calipers and discs will go onto an aw11 abeit with 17" rims and redrilled to suit 4x100pcd Shocked Shocked

edit: aparantly the twin piston calipers will fit to the st185 sliders so you can use them on the larger disc. This is better in 2 ways aparantly as you have the benefit of the bigger disc and twin pistons calipers but also the twins have a bigger pad area to the single pistons so they will use a greater area of the disc which is a problem with the singles aparantly

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 01:07]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 11:54

it does bring the brake bias forward somewhat but i personally prefer the nose aimed brakes..

I've actually heard the opposite due to the fact that the fluid volume of the caliper is larger for the twin piston and hence more fluid than usual gets squeezed to the back before the fronts take full effect. As mentioned though, I haven't tested mine properly yet so I'm just going on what I've heard.... and we all know how reliable the internet is for facts Wink
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers, thanks for the replies.

Having to trim the dust shield isn't a problem, I've completely removed them on the race car. Trouble with getting pads isn't too much of a problem either - provided I can get a blank (shouldn't be difficult) I can just get the friction material cut and bonded to suit (as suggested).

Don't know if I'd be too happy about the rears biting before the fronts - but I can't really see that being too much of a problem in my application. Once everything is up to temp, along with braided lines, there shouldn't be any delay as far as I can tell. Still leaves me with too much front bias for my liking though (personal preference). However as I'm planning on installing a bias adjuster some way through next season, that too can be fixed.

Any bolt on replacements for the rear? Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard sw20 turbo rear calipers and VW corado discs (not found in AUS) are a good combo.

http://www.target-earth.net/static/mr2/Brakes.xls
detailed here
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/Bigbrakes.html

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 01:43]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and aparantly the 93+ sw20 turbo brake booster is supposed to work well. Im considering doing this as i think my booster is a bit shagged
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi AW11 fellows,

Just thought I'd see if anybody was interested in seeing how my AW11 is performing with 18psi from an SC14.

On my webpage there are a couple of 0-100kph in car acceleration videos (at the bottom). Done on umm err a private test track.

http://www.e-wire.net.au/~nrparker/MR2/NewEngine/n ew_engine.htm

I'm still trying to sort out a 'proper' drive shaft so I'm not trying to change gears really fast or taking off aggressively yet.

Don't tell me how much more power I'd get if it was a turbo running that boost, its too drepressing to think about. I know the SC is crap in terms of adiabatic efficiency.

From playing with Dyno2000 I reckon its possible to get around 240 crank h.p. with an SC14, I'd need big valve thoughs Wink.

I still have the stock exhaust with *ahem* a 'high flowed' miaow.

Cheers, Nick

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
souns cool but stock exhaust errhm
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got some JASMA certified 4AGE 4-2 stainless headers cheap from a friend in NZ just need to sort out the rest of the exhaust system! Should hopefully go a little bit better after this. The primary pipe size is FAT so should be good for my ZE.

Cheers, Nick.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 03:22]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MY Racing 221 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 12:20

Cheers, thanks for the replies.

Having to trim the dust shield isn't a problem, I've completely removed them on the race car. Trouble with getting pads isn't too much of a problem either - provided I can get a blank (shouldn't be difficult) I can just get the friction material cut and bonded to suit (as suggested).

Don't know if I'd be too happy about the rears biting before the fronts - but I can't really see that being too much of a problem in my application. Once everything is up to temp, along with braided lines, there shouldn't be any delay as far as I can tell. Still leaves me with too much front bias for my liking though (personal preference). However as I'm planning on installing a bias adjuster some way through next season, that too can be fixed.

Any bolt on replacements for the rear? Very Happy

i havent had problems with bias being rearward.. i understand *why* it should make the bias go rearwards however i havent experienced it.. ive found it bites the front and locks the front up *way* before the backs will...

as far as the twins fitting on the larger braket since ive got both here ill test it out and see what happens.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fronts should still lock up before the rears. Toyota was apparently so over cautious with rear braking on the later model MR2s that it's pretty much impossible to lock them up before the fronts. From what I understand, it's a pleasant side effect of the large twin pots that the rears get a bit more juice, but still not enough to have them lock before the fronts.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i had my stocker n/a susspension and 4age with crappy bridgestone re88 tyres the rears used to lock up b4 the fronts in a big way was a bit scary its a bit like yanking up the handbrake as the back end steps out sideways

I wouldnt mind trying out the e46 m3 brakes but 17's arent my thing but id imagine it would be pretty awesome stopping power
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

At one stage I had standard front brake pads and 'sport' rear pads on my AW11. When the rear pads heated up after a few hard brake applications, they gave my car a lot more rear bias than stock.

When driving spiritidly on winding roads I loved the feel of this setup, to me the car felt much better than stock, more stable atleast, when braking on a slight curves that tightened into a sharper corners as happens on a winding road...even in a straight line i think it was better, maybe somehow the rear braking harder helped pull the car straighter or something.

Cheers, Nick

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 05:11]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently doing some more investigation into the EA falcon pulley swap onto the charger. to do this a spacer is required both to fit the inner race of the bearing of the pulley to the charger body, aslo it *should* space the pulley forward so the belts line up properly.

ive spoken to my mate the a mahcine shop who will whip them up for me once i get the exact dimensions but obviously it isnt viable to make one. id just like to guage any interest people would have in this ?

with a stock 145mm gze crank pulley this is spinning pretty fast although with a bypass valve and a decent intercooler should be pretty snappy.

ill be running it with a GE stock 135mm crank pulley which will spin the charger at virtually the same speed as a nevo 175 without overspinning the water pump.

if there is interest in these could people pm me pls Smile
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ive read randomly through about 13 pages of this thread (because im lazy).
has anyone covered the bouncing/non functioning speedo cable repair job?
and why does my check engine light come on when im speeding! only to have normal engine temp, oil levels, water levels etc. when i turn my car off and back on the engine light is off again.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 08 November 2005 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could possibly be a faulty sensor of some type you need to perform a diagnostic test.

As for the speedo bouncing/non functioning its b/c your cable has snapped more than likley so you will need to replace it and its a pita of a job
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 November 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks gte.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 November 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anybody here have a spare working drivers side seatbelt and matching buckle they want to sell, prefer sydney as i need it asap, otherwise i will pay for postage

or does anybody know anywhere beside toyota to get new ones, i heard repco can get them from a particular company that makes aftermarket belt but the ones for aw11 is a little longer then factory and doesnt retract as good

my one has been playing up few times and now it wont pull out at all

thanks
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 09 November 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
im pretty sure repco can get them, cant remember the brand though.
Pages (84): [ «  <  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:20:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.019068002700806 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.