Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Focal
Occasional Poster

September 2003

Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 10:42 Go to next message
Chasing opinions from the experts! I recently bought in an ST185 from Japan, and can't decide the best path to take with upgrades.

Is grafting in a ST205 halfcut a good way to go, or just spend the money on doing up the current equipment? (The old gearbox and clutch are both feeling a bit clunky, I hear the '205 boxes are a lot better, correct?)

Also part of my reasoning for considering the 205 option is the MAP sensor ECU, which might save me from going for an aftermarket ECU if I want to get rid of that silly restrictive AFM in the 185, but perhaps a Motec would generally be a good idea anyway..

Thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contact Classique71 as he is converting his ST185 to a Grp A hybrid...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did they still use AFM on the 185??? *sigh* Toyota are slow learners.

To be honest, I really get annoyed when people say 'restrictive AFM' because it's a bit of an unfounded statement. Generally speaking the AFM is barely causing 1% restriction to total air flux.

AFM is actually a really good way of gauging the total air-flow through an engine, compared to a MAP that is.
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST205 gear is not easy to get so you will be paying top $$$ but it is one of toyota's finest creations. Remember that these engines are close to the 10 year old mark so getting one in good condition can be difficult. You might end up buying a gen 3 motor and needing to do a rebuild on top of that. The ST205 is an exellent base either way.

You can rebuild your ST185 and know that you will have a fresh motor. Run an aftermarket ECU to run your supra 550cc injectors which will be fed by your bosch fuel pump and place a TO4E wheel in your freshly upgraded CT26. Do the basics with a clutch upgrade (recommand 5 puck exedy with sprung center) full exhaust and if money allows a CS front bar with front mount and you will have one sweet package.

It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to achieve which you have not told us.

Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 22:48

Did they still use AFM on the 185??? *sigh* Toyota are slow learners.

To be honest, I really get annoyed when people say 'restrictive AFM' because it's a bit of an unfounded statement. Generally speaking the AFM is barely causing 1% restriction to total air flux.

I gained 6kw at all 4 wheels just by using a piggyback to remove the need for a AFM. It jumped from 103 to 109kw on the same dyno on the same day. Its the turbulance that it creates that causes the restriction. It definitly robs power and toyota must of agreed when building the 205.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay - but did you change the fuel and ignition map as well?
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The standard ecu was still running the stock maps and ignition settings. Both were done with the hose connected to the factory airbox with no air filter.

My friends laser had similar gains with his mazda B6 turbo which also runs a factory AFM but his dyno run was done weeks apart so didnt really prove much.

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Wed, 06 October 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh I'll take this off of this thread Smile
Focal
Occasional Poster

September 2003

Re: Upgrading an ST185 - opinions wanted! Thu, 07 October 2004 03:48 Go to previous message
Puffy: My ultimate goal is 200kW at the wheels (not sure why, just sounds like a good number to shoot for!) It's got a long way to go. Very Happy

To get that I imagine I'll need to be running 15psi+, which means upgrading the pistons and head gasket. OTOH the 205 I hear already has metal head gasket and hypereutectic pictons, so on top of all the other goodies it has... But there's a few things I can do to the current equipment for now anyway (exhaust/FMIC), while I start looking for this halfcut.

BTW this is the car: http://www.focal.net.au/185.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST141 Offset
Next Topic:performance carb for 2T
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 21:37:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040879249572754 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.