Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
physh
Regular

May 2002
New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:23 Go to next message

XR6 Turbo: Sequential Auto vs Manual[ 17 vote(s) ]
1.4 speed BTR Sequential Auto 5 / 29%
2.5 speed Manual 12 / 71%

I thought stuff it, I'm getting one... so I just put my order in for one on friday... *grin*

Don't think it'll be as fast as I want to go... but it'll keep most cars honest... at least it will when I get it in November...

I ordered a manual, but (gasp) I'm putting some serious consideration into getting the BTR Sequential auto box... apparently it's pretty damn good for an aussie car (ie it's no SMG but it's pretty hot)

What is everybody's thoughts on the sequential auto vs manual debate in this case?

1: this engine makes 450 Nm at 2000 rpm... all the way to 5450 rpm... yummy!
2: the auto apparently holds the gear even when you want to bounce it off the rev-limiter
3: the manual apparently is still somewhat uninspiring, the clutch is heavy and it doesn't quick-change well.

So what's the verdict?

Mind you, I'm now planning my TA22 to be at least faster than the XR6T, rather than the SS commodores or WRXs... Smile

cheers

-nick

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the manual! Cant have an auto in a "sports car" Very Happy
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 - My thoughts exactly... hence why the order was for a manual...

BUT...

I do a fair whack of driving in traffic... and a heavy clutch is a pain, literally speaking!

So.... If the auto was reasonable in terms of control, shift speed and also had the benefit of no clutch to pump in traffic, why wouldn't you get an auto?

Anyone heard bad things about the auto or the manual in these sorts of cars?

mind you - I have NEVER owned an auto... ever.

-nick
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The clutch isn't as heavy as many people make out! I nearly bought a manual when I bought my AU futura, but its more of a cruiser than a sports car! I found the clutch in the falcons nice and soft and I dont think it would be a hassle to drive in traffic at all!
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any such thing as a non-sequential automatic??
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think someone said u lose 30KW or something through the auto trans ???
There was a big discussion recently on Manual Vs Sequential
Ill try and find the link for ya
Very Happy Very Happy

Mani
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=3796&rid=54&S=d7abfad7e728b4cbe51b 6ff6d0a31ece&pl_view=&start=0#msg_30776

long ass discussion
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill: true... Rolling Eyes

manipulate: Problem is, I can see both sides of this argument... I've always driven manuals, and I like to think I know how to change gears... Evil or Very Mad

But the auto in the new BA falcons is apparently not too bad, and the so called "sports" shift is also apparently quite good.

I say apparently to all of these coz I haven't driven them... I'm driving a base XT on Monday, followed by the TS50 with 5sp manual (the same manual box as the XR6T) in it, so I might be able to see how the auto box goes.

I'm unlikely to change my order to an auto, I do enjoy manuals. I just get sick of clutching in heavy traffic... :/

poll is currently stuck at 50/50 too...

-nick
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read Wheels magazine today and 'the tip' is to opt for the sequential shift over the manual.

I think they both have pros and cons that balance each other out so at the end of the day it may come down to price. Im assuming the manual would be thousands cheaper.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julz wrote on Sun, 29 September 2002 18:49

Im assuming the manual would be thousands cheaper.

Thats what i dont get
If its just auto transmission where u can cut in and electronically tell the transmission what to do ???? y so expensive ??? it would just be a computer chip right ??

Ta
Mani
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dudu, 2 words - Tremec TKO!- 6-speed baby!!

A little expensive though. Really, the poor old XR is never going to be a 20 valve 4AG is it? You're not going to be able to wring it's neck at every given oppertunity are you? I mean, it'll have boot loads of go but it won't be a "sports" car, just a damn fast commuter. Go the auto. That thing ain't ever going to see wakefield or the creek is it? The auto will suit you 98% of the time, the other 2% you'll actually want a manual is when you come up against (INSERT-RICER-CAR-HERE) and want to blast them at the lights, and you'll be able to do that with the self-shifter anyway, only you won't have to lift your left hand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in for a manual every time but I'm sure you have a celica/sprinter/corolla you can hammer on the weekends?

Just my 2¢

Tim.

Oh, and about the price, I think the actuall transmission is more expensive to produce, they were more expensive even before computers were invented!

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2002 12:52]

physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Sun, 29 September 2002 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim: will the xr see wakefield? hell yes.. Smile No Speed Limits days rock... Smile

Will my TA22 beat the XR? hell yes... at least it will once I've got it running...

difference in price is $920.00 more for the auto.

6000 rpm cutout on the XR6T isn't too bad... but like you say it's no 4ag... Smile

it will be a fast commuter, and if I get the auto I can use it to tow my celica to the track... Smile

I'm going to drive the auto today, we'll see how it goes but to be honest it would have to be pretty damn special... Smile

-nick
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
physh wrote on Mon, 30 September 2002 06:51

6000 rpm cutout on the XR6T isn't too bad... but like you say it's no 4ag... Smile

Man, my old 21R-C truck engine used to cut out at 6,200rpm....

Isn't the XR6T supposed to be DOHC?!

As for auto vs manual, I'd never buy an auto, but that's me. And I don't really mind heavy clutches, I hate slipping clutches more....

Ultimately, you really have to decide (truthfully) whether the car is gonna be a cruiser or a fang car. Then the decision is made for you.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
21R-C....nah, she doesn't stop at 6200rpm Smile In second it'll hit 6500rpm, and in first it hit 6800rpm before I backed off Smile But seriously, I think the manual is a goer, its supposed to be much nicer to use than the Commonwhore's 6-speeds.
mrchox
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manual 4 sure.

more feeling for the driver, plus the car isn't quick enough for a serious sequential set up, so its really a joke.

cheers
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You guys see the new falcon ad? It takes the classic "sports car" approach then there's a shot of the tacho on gear shift, dammit, they push it to 3 grand!!

Tim.
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra28 - yeah, they're really pushing the envelope on that car, hey...

I drove the auto behind an XT falcon yesterday (bog stocker) and it's a damn sight better than the other auto's around, even the mitsu "sports" auto.

BUT... It's still an auto. It still bumps and grinds... still doesn't change fast enough... still doesn't have the control or feel of a manual...

So, the order stays for a manual, I think the consensus is clear... it's more fun that way!

BTW - I AM very impressed with the handling of even the base falcon - took it up Mount Ainslie (for you canberrans round here) and without trying was doing it 20km/hr faster than is actually possible in my current XR6...
pulling 120km/hr round corners up a hill with the blunnie planted and the car stayed flat and felt really well balanced, considering it's 1650 kilos of car it's pretty amazing.

Can't wait to get my new toy!

Thanks for all the opinions - helped calm the little devil-on-the-shoulder... Evil or Very Mad

cheers

-nick
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New XR6 Turbo... Sequential auto vs manual? Mon, 30 September 2002 22:34 Go to previous message
RA28 wrote on Mon, 30 September 2002 23:35

You guys see the new falcon ad? It takes the classic "sports car" approach then there's a shot of the tacho on gear shift, dammit, they push it to 3 grand!!

Tim.

Yeah that was finny shite

Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how much to get a car dyno'ed
Next Topic:Tyre Opinions/Suggestions?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:25:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069739818572998 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar