Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how strong is a hilux diff?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 03:07 Go to next message
I've had 3 people tell me that hilux diff's aren't strong at all but you guys seem to be in love with them. A guy i was talking to was saying how his mate broke 7 with a std hilux engine. It's obvious that the axels are indestructable but what about the centers??
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your mate is an assclown.
http://www.california.com/~ssea/rr/bbpics/assclown.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 03:32]

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing thats what i wanted to hear...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 months of hard caning in my Hilux, countless burnouts and still not a whine or kicking of the second wheel as such and the car has already done 175,000kms.

Just for reference sakes how big are the axles?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HiLux axles are bigger than ford 9 inch axles .
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And the whole she-bang is lighter too Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then whats so damn special about nine inchers? I mean ive got ten but thats another story Smile

but seriously why dont people use hiluxes instead of fords? can they not handle power and burnouts as well?? Confused
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10 inchers out of what exactly may I ask. I am not all that knowledgable.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hes talking up his teeny schlong, not talking about a diff.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frank has it in one Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i know is what a classic adelaide racer told me Wink they should be able to take abotu 600hp reliably.
the axles are big.. can't remember offhand, but around 30mm?? +-5mm Wink

the 9" is good for launches, possibly due to the pinion shaft being located in the housing itself, rather than in a drop in centre.

other thing with 9" is you can get aftermarket housings, centres, axles... just like granpas axe, until it is all shiny and new Very Happy. and you can get parts almost anywhere by mail order... 9" is just easy Wink
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep you name a part for a 9" diff and these a good chance its obtainable. Name a diff ratio (in reason), LSD, locker (CIG, MIG, spool, Detroit, etc, etc), floating axles. Yep name a part and what you want from it and bobs ya uncle.
The Hilux diff don't go as far in aftermarket parts but drop to a 4wd shop and ask about Hilux diff parts and you'll still get a surprise in whats obtainable. Razz
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so have any of you burnout queens with 1G's (or similar) had a centre shit itself?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt i have owned one long enough to pass judgement but I have two cars that have G Series Diffs and not a scrap of trouble with either of them...yet Smile touch wood

/me reached for nearest wooden object Very Happy
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Mon, 11 October 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive driven a few hilux and 4 runners so with v8 conversion cos alot of my mates have them and my family has had them
never blown the rear diff
CV joints but never a diff
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Tue, 12 October 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget what you're mate said, Hilux diffs are strong, my mate has one in a drag 13bt RX-7 that has run a 10.3 @ 133mph and he gives the thing hell, and it doesnt miss a beat. i cant remember what power he has, but its a fair bit, and he launches the thing like a rocket. granted he doesnt do huuuge burnouts, but its a damn fast car and the Hilux works damn well!! Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Tue, 12 October 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22-3SGTE wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 22:03

HiLux axles are bigger than ford 9 inch axles .

are you sure about that? 9" ford come in various sizes...

having said that ive never seen a hilux diff copping 1000hp+ blown v8s and drasgters either..whereas ive seen plenty of 9" copping that and some.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 10:02]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Tue, 12 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but they are some pretty special ford 9"s Wink i bet many of them are "grandfathers axe" versions.. ie strengthed case, spool, new gears, bigger axles etc...
but yes, they can take a beating no doubt..
for street even the BW78(?) is a good option before dragging a 9" around...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: how strong is a hilux diff? Tue, 12 October 2004 10:17 Go to previous message
i dunno which route im taking for the ma61 diff yet either Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 - 3SGTE
Next Topic:Ta22 GT vs LT
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:11:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069968700408936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.