Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 02:59 Go to next message
Can anyone recommend a good electric guitar/brand up to ~ $1,500

Preferably something that has a good acoustic/clean sound on lead & solo while still able to cope with heavier music.

My current Onyx guitar ($150 from Cash Convertors Laughing ) is ok but a little the worse for wear, plays nicely on the top 4 strings (D,G,B,E) but gets really distorted when trying to play open chords (i.e. the bottom two strings drown out the other 4). Which is perfect for thrash metal but not so good for quieter melodies.

Sorry my terminology is crap, hope it made sense to someone Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esp make pretty good guitars, and some of them would be in your price range. my old ibanez has held up for fuckin ages, and its the entry level model, so something in your budget would probably be really decent too.
i would not suggest epiphone, i have one and it really isnt all i hoped i t would be, i guess i figured it wouldnt be too different from a gibson - WRONG. Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 03:11]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two guitars and two guitars only in my opinion.

-Epiphone Les Paul (be it gold top or studio or whatever) $950
-Esp Ltd Viper-50 (sorta looks like an SG) $500

It all depends on your style however. I prefer a thicker neck guitar like the les pauls, I love the thicker sounding clean. I own both guitars I just mentioned above. And theres a nice contrast between the two. When im playing classical style melody in clean or playing a thicker/type heavyness I go the lespaul and when I literally want to throw the damn guitar around the Ltd is lighter all round and has a good feel for that.

Remember String selection is an important thing. Its also reflective of style. You have string setups that are made for thrash metal, and thinner setups for clean rock. And then you have combo string packs that have heavy bottom ends and lighter top ends. I use 10-52's all round (D'Addario or GHS Boomers). You however mentioned you want a lighter bottom end. So perhaps 10-46 or 09-42 is for you. Go into a store with a 2or3 guitars in mind and see what you like.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, that's exactly the sort of feedback i'm after Very Happy

Yeah I want to narrow down my choices & so far i've heard Fender are rubbish (at least within my price range) and Ibanez can be good or bad (more suited to heavier style music though).

PS I've tried a number of string combos but I still get the same problem Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 03:27]

bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your pickups could be fucked also. or the tone setting might need adjusting, like switch it to the bass pickups and see if its as bad.
i guess i could have gotten a dud les paul, because i have the epiphone les paul custom (1400rrp Shocked) and it isnt all i thought i would be. it seems like it has a cheap build quality, and little things go wrong with it, like the pickups were too high, and the high e string touched the pickup whenver i played a noe above the 12th fret on that string, easy fix, but it sholdnt really happen in the first place. its a nice guitar, but i wouldnt reccommed it for the price. it does sound decent when clean though, my ibanez sounds better distorted than the les paul.
you said ibanez are suited to heavy music (true - mostly), i thouhgt you wanted that from your first post?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You can always upgrade your current guitar if you like its action.

Go for Demazzio pickups for the full rhythm sound - al la Gibson, or Humbuckers for more lead work - a la fender. Also, you can mix them together for more versatility and sound options. While you're at it, whack on a Floyd Rose tremolo if you want.

seeyuzz
river
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude if you like fenders go to Guitar factory at miranda. They are one of the very few places that sell the Japanese fenders. they are just as good as the US models if not better and they are around the right money mark for you. seriously check em out.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 14:13

your pickups could be fucked also. or the tone setting might need adjusting, like switch it to the bass pickups and see if its as bad

One of the pickups is a little loose, would that be a problem?

I can make adjustments and it reduces the problem but it has never gone away entirely unless I adjust the amplifier to compensate! I don't have the same problem with other guitars which leads me to the assumption my guitar is buggered.

bigg willie style wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 14:13

its a nice guitar, but i wouldnt reccommed it for the price. it does sound decent when clean though, my ibanez sounds better distorted than the les paul. you said ibanez are suited to heavy music (true - mostly), i thought you wanted that from your first post?

Sorta sounds like I need 2 guitars Razz One for clean, one for heavy distortion. I play a wide variety including the typical Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam (hence the need for heavy music), some punk & ska, and then again I like to practise clean lead & solos such as Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana etc. A wide mix really, haven't yet decided what I prefer (only 6 years later).

river wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 14:15

You can always upgrade your current guitar if you like its action

Thanks for the suggestion, but this was a cheap guitar to begin with and I don't know how it was treated before I bought it. So for now i'd like to start with a clean slate Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 05:38]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 12 October 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything is better than an Onyx
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ended up buying an Ibanez...
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what model? how much?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am looking to buy an Electric Acoustic if you guys have any particular recommendations that would be awesome, now that you all sorted out Conquest Smile

yeah, was looking at a Maton, as that would be nice and unique (aussie timbers), yet they have a very warm sound.

the Yamahas I tried were very mellow, too mellow for me, and there was this one Fender I liked and it sounded great, and was cheap too

I like the sound of Takamines yet I haven't tried any of their elec acoustics, and I guess they would be exxy like the Matons

hmm

the Fender seems the best value for $$ at the moment
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 16:12

what model? how much?

Model: SA-370Q Price: ~ $600.00, alot less than retail anyway Very Happy

I can't find the exact model online but this is similar (SA-160Q) except mine is blue...

EDIT: Also has a double pickup near the fretboard aswell.

http://www.allans.com.au/products/images/Electricpics/SA160QM.jpg

Good luck Rob, I was drooling over some of those electric/acoustics but then I saw the price Shocked

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 06:53]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice guitar bro!

I had a fiddle with one of these this weekend gone by

http://maton.com.au/electrics/ms2000STD.asp

damm that's a nice guitar.. and mate from church just bought one

yeah the price seems to be killing me, but this fender I saw was only $300 and I was like "whoa!" what's wrong with it?? lol I was expecting 6-700 to be a challenge, so I dunno..

This was down at the Guitar Factory in Parra

but it sounded quite nice and hey, it isn't going to be plugged in all that often
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Guitar recommendations Wed, 13 October 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once owned gibson SG special
red bloodwood with a black scratchplate and double humbuckers
such a nice guitar...
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Guitar recommendations Thu, 14 October 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacksons seem to go alright.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com

Them and Ibanez seem to be pretty versatile. Smile

I'd love a Gibson Les Paul if I had the cash... Razz
gtr_gaga
Regular

May 2004
Re: Guitar recommendations Tue, 19 October 2004 13:14 Go to previous message
I have a yamaha sg700s custom shop... made in japan. the shape is between the sg and les paul shape and its black with off white trim and gold hardware. pickup slitters so that the humbuckers turn into single coils. Picked it up at a closing down sale in hawaii. he couldn't sell it becuase everyone wanted the gibsons so i picked it up for 600. which is like 720 aud. I compared it to a gibson and it has a nicer clean sound, alot more full, but when the pickups are split it sounds like a strat... a real american strat. at full noise its a little more sterile than a les paul but man does it sound sweet. the guitar is 3 years old and even in the salty hawaiin atmosphere has No corrosion on strings (original strings) or hardware... Amazing quality....

ibanez's are very good though

good choice..
im soon buying a takamine acoustic - they are great
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I want to use the outhouse
Next Topic:Lunatic cabbies
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:04:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064828395843506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar