Toymods » General Car Talk » NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Fri, 24 May 2002 09:39 Go to next message
I finally got hold of an electronic distributor for my RG. Now I need to know what I need for it to run. Do I need an ignition box thing or just a coil? Can anyone tell me models/types of what I should be running. I thought maybe a bosche gt40ru (or whatever the electronic version is called). I need to know before next weekend so I can get it in and going.
  Send a private message to this user    
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Fri, 24 May 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need the ignitor and the coil. I hear 84 22R-E bits can be used on 18R-Gs.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Fri, 24 May 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was going to fit the 22r bits in my 18r-c.. you have to run the ignitor and you will have to lenthen some wires on it to run the epoxy (non oil filled) coil its basicly the same setup on my 5m-e

Allan
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Fri, 24 May 2002 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's great, but I need some numbers so I can order the right ones.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Fri, 24 May 2002 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure of the 22R numbers, but I can get you the 18R-G ones later.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sat, 25 May 2002 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just go to the wreckers and grab the whole setup from a car with a 22R-E... that's what I did when I put an electronic dizzy on my 18R-GU. Cost me $20 or something. Smile
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Thu, 30 May 2002 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i've got the 22r-e ignitor and coil now how do I wire the thing in? And what plugs do you you use norbie (or anyone else who has an 18r-gu with electronic ignition)

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:02]

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sun, 02 June 2002 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sun, 02 June 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What colour wires do you have on the ignitor? On mine, there are two wires that go into a plug which connects to the dizzy. There's also a white wire and a yellow wire. The next time I'm home in daylight I'll tell you where they're connected. But one's coil positive and the other's coil negative. The rest aren't important.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sun, 02 June 2002 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't worry, all sorted now. It was fairly straight forward when I actually had a good look at everything. I just wanted some guidance so I didn't fry anything but it all went well. It made quite a difference having the propery distributor in there instead of the 18r-c one. The only thing is the vac advance doesn't connect to the little post properly, theres a piece missing but I can fix that tommorow. Thanks anyway.

Still like to know what plugs and gaps you guys run with your rg's.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sun, 02 June 2002 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use standard 18R-C. NGK BP5EY? 0.8mm gap.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Sun, 02 June 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that's all I've got at the mo too. Just curious, if lots of people used a certain plug I might be tempted to give it a try, that's all. 0.8 is a bigger plug gap than standard though isn't it?
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Mon, 03 June 2002 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the plug to use for the 18R-g in the NGK range is BPR6EA, BPR6EY or a nippondenso W20EXR-U the lower the number you go the hotter the plug burns, and if you go to hot you can start burning holes in pistons and getting detonation, doing one heat range hotter or colder shouldnt matter. and most plugs these days come pre gapped ready for use, they should be checked just incase but they should be fine
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: NORBIE: Someone...Need Info on 18r-gu ignition Tue, 04 June 2002 00:53 Go to previous message
thankyou, that's exactly the information I wanted.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ra60 with a 1jz At PET modifications in Thomastown
Next Topic:Glenn kicking ass down phillip island
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 1 05:05:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088460445404053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.