Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
icon4.gif  Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Mon, 30 September 2002 11:15 Go to next message
Had anyone ever heard this happen on a 4age 20v?? All was well until yesterday when I was on 2nd gear a bit above 6000rpm, I heard some grinding noise, straight away I knew something was wrong so I put the clutch down, but the engine stalled, and the car wouldn't start..

when I checked the crank, the cam timing was about 60 degrees advanced so the engine must be choking a bit.. Laughing Only conclusion was the timing belt slipped off at the crank gear, and went back in the wrong position, I pulled the timing belt off by hand and reseted it close to 0 degree mark and it's ok now, but the same thing could happen again anytime I guess.. I'm suspecting the timing belt tensioner, anyone had similar problems??? Thanks..
  Send a private message to this user    
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Mon, 30 September 2002 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The tensioner should be locked in place by the locking bolt in the middle of it - That might have just worked loose.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Tue, 01 October 2002 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unusual to say the least.

Not somthing i have ever heard of happening with out a part having failed to cause it to slip.

Any damage to the cam belt teeth?

Craig.
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Tue, 01 October 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't notice any damage to the gears, the timing belt looks to be in fairly good condition too, (looks very new), and the inlet and exhaust cam wheel is still in sync, so I assume it had slipped off at the crank wheel, something must have happened to have the timing off 60 degrees I guess..

the black-top 20v workshop manual seems to have a tensioner (gas-charged?), I had a peek in my silver-top but don't seem to have noticed anything behind the idler pulley, except it had a spring attached to the idler pulley, but then I cannot see this "spring" illustrated in the black-top manual, could the springs be the tensioner for the silver-top? (different mechanism for 2 series of the engine?) I didn't get to take the crank pulley off, so the timing belt cover No.3 may have been covering the gas-charged tensioner, but I've never heard this happen to anyone before.. If it wasn't a 4age, the valves probably had already bent, but still the pressure in their could have blown some head gasket or something, just hope it won't happen again! Sad
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Tue, 01 October 2002 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The silvertop uses a spring loaded tensioner, only the blacktop has the gas charged thingie.
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Wed, 02 October 2002 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what I assume by looking at my engine, and the workshop manual, but have you seen both engine? Does the spring ever wear out? Is it supposed to be replaced when the timing belt gets changed?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Wed, 02 October 2002 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The spring shouldn't matter if you have the retaining bolt in the tensioner torqued correctly

Jason
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Thu, 03 October 2002 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The dowel that the idler pivots on can sometimes fall out of the oil pump. This will cause the belt to skip.

Did you find anything inside the bottom of the belt cover?

gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Thu, 03 October 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't take the timing belt cover No.3 off, but I don't think there's anything in there anyway, what could be in there?
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Fri, 04 October 2002 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you mean the lower cover,
I mean that there could be a piece of metal inside there.
(gravity!)
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Fri, 04 October 2002 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what is the process for setting the belt tension on a 4AGE/GZE??
macks
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Sat, 05 October 2002 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lock the adjustable pulley all the way to the left (spring completely extended) and tighten it. Then, once you've got the belt in place, loosen the pulley until the spring pulls it against the belt. At that point, the deflection of the belt in between the cam gears should be 4mm or so for a 2kg load - if it's more, lever the pulley further right until it's around 4mm deflection, then tighten the pulley so it doesn't budge. Bingo Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Sat, 05 October 2002 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that, much appreciated.
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Timing belt slipped at above 6000rpm?? Sun, 06 October 2002 14:01 Go to previous message
ae102_3sgte wrote on Fri, 04 October 2002 13:03

If you mean the lower cover,
I mean that there could be a piece of metal inside there.
(gravity!)

hmm.. don't think there's anything in there, and it haven't happened since then, could this be a 1 in a 1,000,000th chance of happening? Coz no one else ever had the same problem?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to - welding under car
Next Topic:4AGE harmonic balancer bolt torque spec, anyone?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 09:29:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.068701028823853 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.