Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 03:30 Go to next message
my little weights fell off I noticed (I found them on the driveway)

and it is from the same wheel/side that is making a racket when I drive grinding/creaking and clunking when changing directions

I highly doubt my hypothesis however
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those bearings would put up with the stresses of everyday driving, pot holes and all that, so surely it'd be no more damaging?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is your bearings that are making noises like you describe then you are in big-ass trouble.

Your bearings will be able to handle a wheel inbalance.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you mean by "big ass" trouble Jason?

bearings are a bit of a cinch to replace yes?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
total bearing failure = wheel skipping down the road (sans car) = big ass trouble.

Bearings are very easy to replace so get on it.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh thanks bro!

not 100% it is bearing that is the problem

do I get them from Toyota Jason.. sorry I have just never replaced a bearing before, but I have the right pullers and sockets for getting it all apart no worries
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually thinking that the noises that you have described may well NOT have been from the bearing - but you will see more while you are replacing them.

Good luck
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freaking better not be driveshaft, 'cause that is more of a pain

I guess I better just start taking stuff off
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you taken the wheel off and had a look/poke around? Tried wobbling the wheel around?

Good luck finding and fixing the problem Smile
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Move the wheel from side to side, grabbing the wheel at the top. Thjats the easiest way to tell if the bearing is on its way out. If there is no movement, then check the grease and repack it while you are there. It is simple... Dont worry bout a puller mate, have done it heaps of times with ... yes complete failure of wheel falling off.... Vdub, Mini (wheel over bridge and into river), Opel combo van (company shit box not looked after and thrashed by me) and last but not least... ford transit van (tipped over when the wheel came off on the way to a robbie williams concert going to slane castle, an hour out of Dublin, Ireland)...
You kinda know the noise it makes when you are about to loose it, it'll be high piched and squeel like fark then steering feels queer and DOH!! too late falls off or if your lucky, gets all lop sided when you park up. Not a good time to kick your tire.

The grinding noise could be bearing related....

Front wheel drive? Could be CV's

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe into river! lol

dude..

well just jacked it up, NO movement at all beside the small amount of play in the steering rack

creaking a little when I rotate it off the ground now
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clean all the grease out completely, use some petrol and a brush, get all impurities out pull out cotter pin in the castle nut, give the nut 1/4 turn to tighten, put cotter pin back in or a new pin if you've got one, repack with some new grease. Its a messy as hell job, but ooooh so simple.
There could be just a bitta shyte in the bearing thats all..
I have seen soooo many people driving around without the dust cap on there bearings, not a good move. Not saying you don't have a dust cap on, but worth checking..
Is the car front wheel drive? If so, chech the condition of your
rubber CV boot, it may be split and have a small stone floating around in the grease in there also... Now CV's... that is a pain in the ol rectom!!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks dude for your awesome help (and funny stories lol - at your expense hehehe)

anyyyway

just rotating it off the ground i can hear like a creeeeeak creeeeak as it goes around every so often.

CV boots are in good condition and the bearing is sealed which is why this is all very weird

I can't get the bearing out of the hub without a "special tool" my manual tells me. Seems they are pressed in or something???

CV boots I don't do..wayyyyy too much hassle Wink

I just replace the shaft at Brake Pro on exchange basis, only costs $170 or so for a whole brand spanker.

So that leaves me with taking steering knuckle off and dropping it in at a shop somewhere, or replacing the driveshaft.. both are a pain

I replaced the driver's side shaft recently.. should they both be done at the same time really? there was no symptoms of "oldness" on the shaft before.. but I tell you the drivers side died hardcore when it went...!
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Thu, 21 October 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we just reaplced the rear bearings in the mr. bearing was shagged and had actually machined a channel into the wheel hub !!! toyota wanted $180 for a new one and wreckers lanughed at me when i wanted mr2 parts... thankfully a glance at the EPC later. the part number is the same for ae92 units Smile less wreckers give you an odd lock when asking for ae92 parts then asking for aw11 bits,. Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Fri, 22 October 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh thanks toof

OK STATUS UPDATE: Bearing is stuffed

nice to have an answer.

What is the best way to fix this? I was going to take the knuckle/hub off and drop it up at a workshop and get them to replace the bearing (they can't do it till monday).

I don't exactly have a press here Smile
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Fri, 22 October 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't really wanna hear how I'd do it in desperation to get back on the road.....
A piece of hard wood wittled up at the end to be round, and a big fark off hammer and a plumbers gas torch, really cheap and effective way to do it, it works on the side of the road while it was pissing down with rain, so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the comfort of your shed. It is bush mechanics at its best, but it works.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure? Fri, 22 October 2004 10:53 Go to previous message
yeah i guess it didnt really help the problem at hand. it was more to illustrate how much of a bitch a rooted bearing can be Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Water temp gauge holding position
Next Topic:1ggze convert to 1ggte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 11:00:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056970119476318 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.