Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who has a 4agte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaver: thanks for the help... although a "dime a dozen" means that something is very cheap and common, so u sort of got me excited Razz

optionup: yer i've got the twin coil one... but you have to relocate them so i figured i may as well do a 4 coil set up if it was possible. sr20 ones look damn cool haha
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah weeeerps!! i just noticed that!! geez all this time, i had the wrong meaning for it Embarassed

well think of them as a rarity, needle in a haystack Confused
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or almost as rare as rocking horse shit !! Very Happy
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the AE86 RWD inlet manifold on mine, havn't experienced those throttle body dramas you mentioned fortunately.

The factory GZE coilpacks work well on mine, but I have also used the Hyundai style packs with success on this and another engine. Deciding whether to use dual post or 4 individual coils will come down to your ECU choice. Remember also that with 4 coils, you need twice as many ignition module channels, and so the cost climbs... For potentially little improvement. Confused

HINT: Tell me about your clutches !! Razz Cool good & bad experiences please.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Usually the cost of a fwd inlet AND getting it cut and shut is still significantly less then the cost of an OEM RWD inlet these days, unless you've got one laying around.

Some very nice setups here Smile Unfortunately mine is still in pieces till the end of the month Evil or Very Mad

I cant wait! Smile

How many of you run an oil cooler? I'm wanting to put one in, but will probably run it without one till I get into some track days or similar.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 November 2004 12:43]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik, I have the same views as you regarding oil coolers.
and yes... clutches ppl, what are you using?

I'm trying to find an ae95 clutch, because it is a 215mm one, with the hopes of building it up. Although I have no idea if it will even fit.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had an exedy 3 puck brass button centre sprung in my 4agte sprinter, it was bitey but fine to drive. Ive now got a extra heavy duty exedy so its not a button. Grips crazy and is easy to drive.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown: how much for each??
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got an sr20 throttle body on mine.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on what manifold fatmr2? any what needed to be done to make it fit?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a custom made plenum. Nothing needed to be done to make it fit? the plenum was made with that throttle body in mind.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 09:48

clutches ppl, what are you using?

exedy organic clutch plate (exedy's heavy duty clutch plate) with a fulcrum point modified pressure plate (my old rpm pressure plate).
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 13 November 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got an exedy brass button with springs in it.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 14 November 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fat & feral MR2's: I assume you both have the luxury of the larger 225mm flywheel? I wish I could fit that in my RWD W55 bellhousing, it would solve half the problem Crying or Very Sad
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 14 November 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty much Very Happy Hopefully it will work well.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 14 November 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, the larger flywheel.

what size do you have now? a 200mm or a 212mm?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 14 November 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
200mm for me. Trying to track down a 215.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how much does a full clutch kit cost for the 4agze / t50 combinations? My clutch is on it's way out!

Also, what intercooler do you guys use for the the 200rwkw targets???
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski has posted some clutch prices in another thread here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=51492&start=0&rid=102&S=0fc7715e72e8 2192faa16948744785b4

I have a Hybrid 600*300*75 bar & plate cooler. Much discussion has been had lately on these & other coolers in the thread about MYC, but i'm really happy with mine, and it fits in the nose of the AE71 beautifully.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but I think a 600x300x75 (800mm total length) won't fit in a Sprinter without a grinder... Razz So what does people use to achieve good 20psi?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sure it wont fit? The AE71 is not dissimilar to the frontend of the Sprinter (with the obvious exception of headlights). Mine is mounted with the inlet/outlet at the bottom, passing just under the bumper mounts. The intercooler pipes enter & exit the engine bay through the inner guards.

I don't think the smaller hybrid core would have drama flowing close what you want. Might be an easier fit too.

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took some rough measurements and figured the space between the headlights were around 700mm only, but maybe it will work if I have longer pipings to go around, I was going to get the cooler in first, and work out if it would fit, have you got any pics of your setup? Maybe I can work it out better from that...
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about the EVO 6 intercooler 470x290x70? Is that a better intercooler to use compared to the Hybrid 600x300x75?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here they are:

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3895/image0004.jpg

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/4066/image31.jpg

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3116/image0002.jpg

Obviously your battery will have to find its way somewhere else, if you havn't moved it already.

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks a lot, that will give me a pretty good idea, the battery's been moved to the back corner already...

so I hope there's no major structure cutting required except for the 2 small holes in the engine bay?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just the two holes in the bay, and the thin plate splash guards near the front, you can see it in the second pic (stone chipped black panel above the pipe.

Plus you need to make a replacement support bracket for the bonnet latch, but thats simple
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so I assume the support bracket is welded onto the intercooler?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the thongs TE72_Turbo Laughing

thats an awesome custom job, the brackets sit so flush underneath, well done!
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, so how do you guys make your brackets?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't knock the thongs dude! Laughing They're JDM spec Razz

Nothing is welded to my intercooler. The Hybrids come with 2 threaded bosses on the top & bottom, so your brackets can bolt up to these with 8mm metric bolts.

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Plus you need to make a replacement support bracket for the bonnet latch, but thats simple

I thought you weld this replacement support bracket onto the intercooler? or is it "behind" the intercooler?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I get what you're asking Smile I'm a bit slow.

The latch bracket runs behind the intercooler, and down onto the body where the original pressed steel item bolts. Can't get to it for a photo without removing the cooler sorry Cool

I dont think it would be a good idea to weld the bracket to the intercooler, cause then you'd be putting all that force on the cooler each time you slam the bonnet shut. Shocked
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The latch bracket runs behind the intercooler, and down onto the body where the original pressed steel item bolts. Can't get to it for a photo without removing the cooler sorry

that's ok, I get the idea... Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 17 November 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does anyone run an oil filter relocation kit?

I was looking at a friends hardcore Jap silvia yesterday, the bracket was bolted out with the filter, and running braided lines - looked so sexy Cool

Just wanna see where everybody relocated theirs (if so) because i can imagine hassles when changing the filter with the turbo in the way (my conversion gets underway soon)

pics please!!!!! Very Happy
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be doing it soon, I've got the oil cooler & relocation thingy sitting in my garage for a bit more than 2 years, just no time to do it, (not my first priority at the moment... Razz)
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it a custom made relocator? or did u buy it off the shelf somewhere?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here you go.

Motorsport Connections in Seven Hills (sydney) sell all the parts individually.

This is the setup in my old car, with oil cooler. You could use speedflow fittings & braided hoses if you have the $$$. Click on the thumbnails for a larger image

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/8469/image53.th.jpg

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/2427/image54.th.jpg
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that TE72_Turbo, that second pic gives me a good idea of what to expect.

What sort of hoses are those red ones? what would you recommend to buy if braided lines are out of the question?

part numbers etc would be great if you have them. I been to Motorsport connections, very good shop Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky i'm at home & bored Smile

Billet spin-on filter adapters (for the block)
p/n TD1014B

Remote filter bracket depends on what configuration you want. All use 1/2" NPT fittings, and take a filter with 3/4" diameter, 16tpi

TD1028 top fittings

TD1045 both sides

TD1701 left side

TD1711 right side

The hoses should be available from any decent hose supplier in your area, its double layer, oil safe hose, rated to 300psi, and doesn't have an issue with the temps of your oil system. Main issue with them over braided is abrasion resistance. If the red hoses rub against any bodywork/brackets, they wear through fairly quickly.

Cheers
Phil

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 03:43]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome thanks heaps dude.

yeah now i see why you have wrapped them in thick black tape, i kinda guessed this would have been the reason.

another thing - (lucky you are at home and bored - here is something to play with:)

I've just edited one of the pics to work out exactly what is happening there, and I've concluded it to this:

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/4691/coolerrepresentation.jpg

am i right in my representation? (i'm abit new to all this hence all my questions etc Smile )
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep! You got it.

It's actually another black hose over the top of the red hose where it touches the bracket Smile

Braided lines would be much nicer, but expect to pay between $20 and $45 for each fitting, plus the hose...
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i c! what a nifty idea, looks smug and cheap/efficient.

Also i'm just wondering, would it be an idea to run cooler oil (post-oil cooler) and 'T' off this line and run it to the turbo instead of the conventional setup straight from the block?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 18 November 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the same thing as the pic posted, except mine uses a big ford/holden v8 oil filter, I got them second hand... and just uses clamped hoses...
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still wondering if the turbo can be supplied with cooler oil from the filter. Or is the oil that comes from the block already filtered??
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's a good point! Never thought about if the oil coming out of the pressure sender is filtered or not! But I assume the first place after where the oil pump hits, should be the filter, if the design is ideal, so we need someone that have looked into the block to answer the question!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haaha i've done another paint attempt to what im' saying about the oil for the turbo - would this work in theory?

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7818/coolerrepresentation2.jpg

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, the feed line for your turbo is about 6 times smaller than the oil line to the filter/cooler so you would somehow have to reduce from something like a 5/8 or 1/2 inch line to the same size as the line on the turbo.

Its a whole lot easier to just come off the block as its all the same size.

This is what i have done with great success. Looks nice and neat and should work very well.

I have been told by many people that coming off the oil filter lines is not good. Dont know why but i dont think i want to risk it after spending so much.

Remember, there is always a reason for not doing something and being an individual may cost you a lot more ( in more ways than one ) than going with proven methods.

My 2 cents.....

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2004 07:35]

NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have an oil relocator... it was mainly used for clearance reasons of the turbo tho...

i dunno if you can see much in these pics but ill post em anyway!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADdAmgWEFSn8xR3XlUWciG6TPcbRqzxvPcNnfearRNB4E4pfofqfB1D66cqB8Za4S7UFIrbha6Dq5iUe8oia6YnUmvEro7VKnVvzDLx54E7QQjRDkXAGg/engine%20bay%202.JPG

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADdAmkWS1Sn8xR3XlUWciG6TPcbRqzxxo*HICT88zRnKuvql0iZPyUIP0*NA9rvzGNJRSGYFXLAoC4M*KxkHs3ZoESO8S0R1*wbKNlHbv1IxXiuhgp9Vw/engine%20bay%203.JPG

dont laugh at my single polished rocker cover!!!

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2004 12:32]

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually when I have the turbo feed line from the oil pressure sender, I needed a T brass fitting, as well as 2 "extender" to clear the block, and it doesn't look very neat, from my opinion, running off the filter line will be much neater, and it's basically the same parts, 1 T brass fitting with a thread fitting on the bottom end, then a brass fitting with a smaller nipple, which is what I'm planning to do when I put my oil cooler in... I still need to check the air cond compressor clearance, which may be in the oil pressure T brass fitting's way..
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a problem where the t peice in the block was cracking due to vibrations...

but i didnt try a brass one...
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, those T piece from the pressure sender seems pretty weak, it looks like pressed metal instead of the solid machined brass fittings...
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt what diff you runnin?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NVD05X: who made your exhaust manifold? Looks tidy Smile

I've had the same dramas with cracking brass t-pieces for the oil feed. Unfortunately there's a lot of weight in aftermarket oil pressure senders that doesn't help the case Crying or Very Sad
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioslaver: running a corona diff, why?

TE72_turbo: so did you replace it with the machined brass type?

yeah, that exhaust manifold looks pretty nice, but I've heard bad things about stainless manifold cracking? Are they really that bad?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 19 November 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your not supossed to put the t piece in the block? Everyone knows that it will crack. Too much wieght hanging off it. The idea is to come off the block with one line and then mount the t piece somewhere else.

Thats what i did with mine and it turned out nice and neat. I should get a pic and post it up?
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 00:06

NVD05X: who made your exhaust manifold? Looks tidy Smile

Yeah what he said. That looks brilliant.

Very interested for my conversion... Very Happy

Jezza
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 07:50

Your not supossed to put the t piece in the block? Everyone knows that it will crack. Too much wieght hanging off it. The idea is to come off the block with one line and then mount the t piece somewhere else.

Thats what i did with mine and it turned out nice and neat. I should get a pic and post it up?

so ur saying that you've remote mount the pressure sender too???
but the only extra weight should only be the T piece itself? The turbo feed line doesn't weight anything!
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt: Yes, i replaced it with a machined type male to male fitting, and separate t-piece.

The extra weight in my case was the aftermarket oil pressure sender, which is much larger than the original factory item, and the fact that it was mounted further from the block because of the t-peice (longer lever, greater stress on the threads in the block).

Best way to go (as FatMR2 mentioned) is to mount the t-piece separate from the block.

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the machined type still cracks?
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yes the machined type's still crack even just with the factory oil sender... i broke 2!

in regards to my exhaust manifold ... it was made in japan for a aw11 mr2...

i've never had problems with it cracking untill recently when the car copped a hit from the front... the hit caused the radiator to hit the manifold, cracking the weld on the turbo flange. its an easy fix. but apart from that its good.. it runs red hot all the time and never cracks.

i was lucky to get a bargain which included that manifold with a S14 T28 turbo and a stainless dump pipe with separate wastegate pipe that rejoins lower down near the flex join... all for 1300 bucks!!!
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota 'FENDER 53801-1E480' What's it off?
Next Topic:Please Help!!! ST-162 Alternator?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:59:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098640918731689 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.