Toymods » Tech & Conversions » xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 25 November 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet, thanks for that. I wasn't planning to swap the booster (I like a firm brake pedal), so if the M/C fits on the stock booster that's great news. I kind if expected the lines to be in different spots though.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 25 November 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 07:56

The brake pipes are in different spots, but from the Yank forums, the boosters and m/cyl's are interchangeable.

Bbaacchhyy,

I don't doubt that the M/C's are interchangable, but for what it is worth, I read the same thing about RA23/40/60 M/C's as well. And while they do bolt up, various combinations of these M/C's and vac boosters do not work out. I found that in some cases the rod pushed out by the brake pedal thru the vac booster, does not push the piston inside the M/C thru the full length of its travel. And you can complicate the issue more when swapping vac boosters that have different thicknesses.
Anyway - it would be worth comparing the length of the travel of the piston inside each MC so you know that your pedal can push the fluid you need to move.

Cheers,
Mitch.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 25 November 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbs,
The lines are in different spots, but there is enough 'elasticity' in the lines to make it work, and the distribution block is in a different spot, but is no issue.

It will be interesting to see what the brake pedal 'feel' is like as well as the F to R balance.

Mitch,
I will check it out for sure before changing, but this swap has been done in the States quite a few times, so there is some confidence that it will be OK.
elhsupra
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 25 November 2004 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know we are set up on the other side of the car in the US, but for those that are still unsure the MkIII M/C does bolt directly to the booster.
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 18:19

Norbs,
The lines are in different spots, but there is enough 'elasticity' in the lines to make it work, and the distribution block is in a different spot, but is no issue.

You would be suprised how little you have to tweak lines to bolt up.
Unfortunantly I can't give you an impression of the feel since it went to the exhaust shop. The couple days I did have the car it did feel good but didn't really do a proper evaluation.
And yes if I could of got a MkIII booster I would of put that on too. But the one at the wreckers was damaged.
Here's a link to some other opinions/tests
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t= 4155&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc& amp;highlight=mkiii+brake+master
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Fri, 26 November 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im just going to throw a spanner in the works here and do a mini hijack.

I have just purchased peugot 406 rotors 280x26 and a set of 300zx calipers. This is because my rims have alot of dish and the 'rotor over hub' thing wasnt going to work for me.

This setup should utilise the existing mounting style from factory, rear mounted rotor. Will let you know how i go.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 27 November 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 05:23

Im just going to throw a spanner in the works here and do a mini hijack.

I have just purchased peugot 406 rotors 280x26 and a set of 300zx calipers. This is because my rims have alot of dish and the 'rotor over hub' thing wasnt going to work for me.

This setup should utilise the existing mounting style from factory, rear mounted rotor. Will let you know how i go.

I was gonna tell you, with the 280x26mm Z32 rotors, you can JUST get away with 30mm depth needed on rims.

But you dont need that now do you...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 27 November 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_1.jpg

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_2.jpg

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_3.jpg

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_4.jpg

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_5.jpg

Nuff said...

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 07:20]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 27 November 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooh shiny...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks nice... how long until you get to test it? Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Sun, 28 November 2004 08:22

Looks nice... how long until you get to test it? Razz

Hopefully this weekend.

But you have to brake-in Greenstuff pads for 500km before you can heavy brake.
So it could be a while before I can REALLY test them.

I will be getting all the Spacers and Rings made up this week ready for sale, then I just have to bleed my brakes and put in my new soft lines, and finally find some rims that will clear the calipers!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I just got back from showing it to my engineer.

He's happy with everything that I have done, and will accept it all (brake bias pending)

However, now that the rim is no longer hub-centric, I have to modify the hub, and make up another spacer, and make the rim hub-centric.

But this will wait until I decide what rims I'm going to run.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, my engineer is machining the rotors so the centrebore matches that of the rims I'm using; that way he can machine a spacer which locates the rotor and the wheel at the same time. Clever!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 28 November 2004 21:01

FWIW, my engineer is machining the rotors so the centrebore matches that of the rims I'm using; that way he can machine a spacer which locates the rotor and the wheel at the same time. Clever!

This may be what I end up doing

However, I don't know what rims I'm getting, so I don't know what size to make the spacer/locater.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 28 November 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks very schmick CruZida, looks like you got the O-ring issue sorted.

I was thinking over the weekend the issue of the hub-centric bizzo, and it seems that you have it sorted (or pending the mag issue).

What is the bore of your m/cyl ?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 04:51

Looks very schmick CruZida, looks like you got the O-ring issue sorted.

What is the bore of your m/cyl ?

For the O-rings we ended up using Gemini Front Caliper O-rings, they fit perfectly. $10ish for all 4, so I couldn't complain.

If you could give me the part number Mike for the ones you used, that would be great, just so I could compare, or for other ppl to rebuild theirs.

Bore is stock, so 15/16's? I think thats it, but I could be wrong.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will try and dig them out. They just basically measured them.

Std MA61 is 15/16", whilst Mk3 is 1" (hence why I am looking at it to correct the increase in volume).

BTW, can anyone confirm the std piston sizes of the MA61 calipers ?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will try to measure stock MA61 tonight.
And are your seals square sided? or round?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, getting the spacers and rings made up now.

Would it be better to make the spacers in aluminium (grade 5083) or steel?

Gotta know this before I get 10 sets made up.

Cost is looking to be about $50 plus postage, but will know for sure soon.

Anodising of spacers is available for extra cost too!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:40

Round
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 08:57

CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:40

Round

Ahh, ok, I got square replacements.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imho the whole 'hub centric' wheel thing is a pile of horse shite...

ive been thinking about this for a while, and ok, sure, and engineer might require it - but it really does SFA... all load is taken by the studs, no question about it

cheers
ed

*reaching out from beyond the grave*
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG OMG OMG !!! Its Ed!!!

haha. aaaaaaaanyway

My engineer said the opposite, that all the load is taken by the hub, and the studs just stop the rim from coming off, and I'd agree with him.

But regardless of what physically happens, he won't pass it unless the rims are sitting on the hub, so I have to do it regardless.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 12:11

ive been thinking about this for a while, and ok, sure, and engineer might require it - but it really does SFA... all load is taken by the studs, no question about it

cheers
ed

Hhhhhheeeeeeee'sssssssssssssssss AAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE E !!!
Good to see you back Ed. Will try and call sometinme soon !!!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 5000 series alloys are corrosion resistant, so anodising would only be a cosmetic thing.

Supposedly, the hub ring will take all the loads inplane with the wheel. The studs all the load that is out of plane. However, if the hub and wheel are clean (ie no grease or exfoliated rust etc) and the nuts are properly tightened, most of the in plane load is actually transferred via friction between the hub and wheel.

If there is grease stains and surface rust, then this friction load has to go somewhere and if it doesn't go into the hub directly (via the ring) then it has to go through the studs, putting them in bending (not good).

Taking this further, it the nuts loosen off a small amount so that all the load is taken by the studs, then you have an ideal fatigue test for the studs with a tensile preload and cyclic bending. Now you could calculate the loads and compare it to the endurance limit of the stud material, but I have already said way too much on this topic. Confused

It is also a good idea to centre the wheel properly on the hub, cos even with tight wheel nuts it is hard to properly centre the wheel. The consequences of an off centre wheel being horrid vibrations.

Oh and G'day Ed, long time no hear.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 02:28]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 12:11

cheers
ed

Good to see you again Ed.

If you are talking about hub centric wheels, not just brakes/hubs, then I must dsagree. Try driving with lug centric wheels on a car designed for hub centric wheels at speed.... the only way to get the wheel on perfectly is to tighten the lugs by hand with the wheel in the air, but as soon as you hit a pothole it's vibration city again.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:27

If you are talking about hub centric wheels, not just brakes/hubs, then I must dsagree. Try driving with lug centric wheels on a car designed for hub centric wheels at speed.... the only way to get the wheel on perfectly is to tighten the lugs by hand with the wheel in the air, but as soon as you hit a pothole it's vibration city again.

I'll disagree and say it would depend on the wheels. The RA60 is currently driving on wheels that aren't hub-centric, and it suffers none of these issues.

That said, I'll be assessing the hub-centric issue when my rims come, because I will have the same engineer as CrUZsida.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]
I'll disagree and say it would depend on the wheels. The RA60 is currently driving on wheels that aren't hub-centric, and it suffers none of these issues.

That said, I'll be assessing the hub-centric issue when my rims come, because I will have the same engineer as CrUZsida.[/quote]

Fair call. I know of people on the OCC list that have had problems with several sets of lug-centric wheels, and I had similar problems with my MA6x rims that had the centrebores bored (nissan?) bigger (which isn't the same thing - I guess hubcentric wheels are never designed to have tight lug holes)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless the wheel is shrunk fit onto the hub (ie interference tolerance fit) it is impossible for the wheel to impart load through to the hub. without 'some' movement (perhaps 0.001", perhaps 0.020") of the wheel, there cannot exist any contact between point the wheel and the hub sufficient for load transfer to occur. if it did, this would mean that as the wheel rotates, and the contact point remains at BDC, the wheel must be seen to 'slip' on the hub axis right through ts 360deg of motion.

its just ridiculous to think that this happens.

the wheel is not centrally located on the hub with enough tolerance to facilitate such load transfer through 360deg. go measure the tolerance between wheel and hub on the avaerage family car, and tell me what the tolerance is...

to my mind, a 'basically hub centric' wheel is used to allow ease of installation of the wheel to the hub, and to maintain 'basic' wheel centrality on the hub in extreme circumstances: ie lug nuts falling off, massive impact to the wheel etc etc

ahhh - cranky man is back Smile beware

(dont even get me started on blake's puke green ma61 idea, or the 4" exhaust No No No )
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill also add for consideration - compare how hard it is to fit/remove a brake rotor (which still isnt an interference fit on the hub) ... when was the last time you had that much difficulty installing/removing a wheel...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you saying that, if you take a stock toyota wheel, and bore the centrebore out bigger so that it is no longer hub-centric, that the wheel will remain centred?! Even though there is slop in the lug nuts?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw ... when i put the stock MA61 alloy rims on the hubs - there is buckets of movement even with the wheel jammed hard up against the hub - whereas once the bolts are threaded onto the studs, the wheel quickly centres and all that excess movement is gone.

in fact the easiest way to centre the rim on the hub is to put two nuts loosly on studs and pull the wheel away from the hub and onto the shaft of the nuts. the centre of the hub and my wheels don't really meet 'snugly' at all.

... or maybe the centrebore on my rims is flogged out Wink

this disagreement might be a different story with steel rims and taper-seated wheel nuts. These kinds of rims need the correct hub-to-centre-bore fit.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 29 November 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been thinking about this all afternoon, and I agree with you guys, the rim does not have to be hub-centric.

I will re-enquire with my engineer regarding it.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 30 November 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 18:30

I purchased a set of peugot 406 rotors today...and dammit, those calipers are mine on ebay, you can all piss off!

So who got them ? They went for $207.50 !!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 30 November 2004 01:28]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 30 November 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 05:23

I have just purchased peugot 406 rotors 280x26 and a set of 300zx calipers.

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 30 November 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 23:25

fwiw ... when i put the stock MA61 alloy rims on the hubs - there is buckets of movement even with the wheel jammed hard up against the hub - whereas once the bolts are threaded onto the studs, the wheel quickly centres and all that excess movement is gone.

in fact the easiest way to centre the rim on the hub is to put two nuts loosly on studs and pull the wheel away from the hub and onto the shaft of the nuts. the centre of the hub and my wheels don't really meet 'snugly' at all.

... or maybe the centrebore on my rims is flogged out Wink

this disagreement might be a different story with steel rims and taper-seated wheel nuts. These kinds of rims need the correct hub-to-centre-bore fit.

I completely agree with the theory. Fuck knows WTF is going on with 2 of my supra rims, then.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 30 November 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 11:48

BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 18:30

I purchased a set of peugot 406 rotors today...and dammit, those calipers are mine on ebay, you can all piss off!

So who got them ? They went for $207.50 !!!!

w00t! Wink ($229 delivered)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 November 2004 07:14]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLICK ME
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just purchased R33 gts-t calipers Smile
not quite as cheap, but means I'm going to be mounting 296mm rotors
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 16:15

I just purchased R33 gts-t calipers Smile
not quite as cheap, but means I'm going to be mounting 296mm rotors

Cool.

What are you doing for rims ?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 17:42

http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/discs/brake_done_3.jpg

Very nice work.
Off topic a little, are those calipers painted or stripped (bead blasted maybe)?
I took mine to Perth Brake Parts and they said they couldn't clean them even in their acid bath!
They look shit hot.
Gabe
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
custom 3-piece
I decided I didn't want my first born child that much anyhow
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 21:57

custom 3-piece

Well, we want pics and specs then.

Hopefully you can have your kids natuarally eventually, IVF and Adoption cost even more and make cars even harder to afford !!!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe greg, it will mess with your offset longtime, good luck with the rims!

Rear mounted rotors here i come!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 22:11

Rear mounted rotors here i come!

Keep us informed with details and pics !!!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 19:11

hehe greg, it will mess with your offset longtime, good luck with the rims!

What part of custom 3-piece did you miss Ice Man?
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's kind of late for me, so I might have missed it- is anyone trying this combo on an AE-86 yet?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 21:27

custom 3-piece

How much damage to the wallet?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 01 December 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wraith wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 22:57

It's kind of late for me, so I might have missed it- is anyone trying this combo on an AE-86 yet?

I have this setup on my AE86. The car isnt on the road yet so I cant comment on the stopping power yet. Also, I made custom hubs and CNC machined caliper brackets, so my setup isnt that friendly on the pocket....
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 02 December 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 18:20

Very nice work.
Off topic a little, are those calipers painted or stripped (bead blasted maybe)?
I took mine to Perth Brake Parts and they said they couldn't clean them even in their acid bath!
They look shit hot.

Just degreased, prepsol'd, and sprayed with VHT high temp aluminium look IIRC.
They need another coat, but I ran out of paint, and they are just gonna get dirty anyway Cool
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 02 December 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So we only have 4 people wanting sets?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Thu, 02 December 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give me and josh a day to work it out - he's arguing haggling with a friend of ours with a cnc machine Smile

personally, I think I want a set. will tell you for sure next time I'm home (which could be very late tomorrow night)
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Fri, 03 December 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea how dodgy this is, but my dad (absolute ledgend) got me to stick a strut in the vice with a hub hanging off the end and run the angle grinder (9 inch) on it. The hub picks up speed & spins, the grinder spins at about 90 degrees & shaves it down slowly. Pretty suspect I suppose, but if you REALLY need those hubs machined TONIGHT-
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Fri, 03 December 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might as well go ahead and order Draven and myself a set. What's the ETA on delivery?
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Fri, 03 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys
Wicked upgrade you got going here!! Very Happy

Redrilling the rotors - Has anyone had an engineer approval on this? Does it weaken the rotor much?

Cheers
-Phil
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 04 December 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ETA is hopefully friday, if not mid the week after.

My engineer has looked over it, and passed the redrilling of the rotors.
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 04 December 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks

Good to hear
The rotors i want are not available undrilled Sad but looks like i can still use them.

Cheers
-Phil
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 04 December 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto that for Joorsh and me - we'll prolly be redrilling.
and like josh says, put me down for a set.

if anyone has a lead on cheap & good rotors, also let me know.

I heard someone on here gets a 10% discount from DBA?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sat, 04 December 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a good long chat to my engineer about redrilling rotors. The good news is, it's not a blanked no-no. He said there are some circumstances where it would be approved - it just has to be done well. One thing to note is that none of the holes can overlap. ie, When you fill in the old holes and re-drill the new ones, the new ones aren't allowed to overlap where the old ones were.

There were a few other little things as well - my suggestion is if you plan to do it, consult your engineer first - but it definitely can be done with approval.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 10 January 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For those that want some chaep R32GTR Brembos rather than the 300ZX brakes for the upgrade as CruZida has done, here is a link - 1 day to go !!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;rd=1&item=4516909651&ssPageName=STRK:ME WA:IT

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/24/0b/a9_1_b.JPG

PS this is bacsically the 296mm front disc option and the Brembo calipers are larger than the R33 Skyline ones. A jap parts wrecker locally here sold just the front calipers and discs recently for $2300 !!!!

Edit : Image added for those that don't understand what I mean...., but as CruZida said "nice...."

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 04:29]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 10 January 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ooooh, nice.
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1990 Camry questions
Next Topic:A70 Bushes. Where to get them!?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:25:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011109828948975 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.