Toymods » Tech & Conversions » xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 10 January 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure.. ill just reach into my back pocket.. and presto... ive got.... lint
i lost my ebay auction, the guy pulled my calipers and stuff.. so ill eventually have to look around for more
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 10 January 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 19:56

i lost my ebay auction, the guy pulled my calipers and stuff.. so ill eventually have to look around for more

Ya got to be in it to win it !!!!!

They aree sitting at $834 at the moment which is bloody cheap !!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 10 January 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 07:39

Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 19:56

Ya got to be in it to win it !!!!!

They aree sitting at $834 at the moment which is bloody cheap !!!

ill save the 500 and get a set of z32 ones Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 10:23

Don't forget that this is F&R calipers and discs.

I am often surpeised at how much people will spend on bling items, but forget about decent brakes, suspension and tyres which are the bits that keep you on the road. Rolling Eyes

Mind you, if you don't have the money, you don't have it.

The bidding is hotting up and is now at $855 !!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 11:29

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 10:23

Don't forget that this is F&R calipers and discs.

I am often surpeised at how much people will spend on bling items, but forget about decent brakes, suspension and tyres which are the bits that keep you on the road. Rolling Eyes

Mind you, if you don't have the money, you don't have it.

The bidding is hotting up and is now at $855 !!

ive got the money.. but z32 are heaps enough stopping power, the gtr ones would be overkill
i WAS going to get front and rear z32 for 250.. but then he emailed me and said 310 and they were mine for sure, but i wasnt home

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2005 00:54]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as cruz has pointed out, you dont really need a rear upgrade - just some performance rotors and pads should be heaps for the rear, and even then you might need to adjust the bias in favour of the front a bit
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, so long as you have semi-decent suspension, you shouldn't have any problems with rear lockup. CrUZsida only has problems with it, because even though it has Kings springs and Tokico shocks, she gets some MAJOR weight transfer when you hammer the picks.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 12:33

as cruz has pointed out, you dont really need a rear upgrade - just some performance rotors and pads should be heaps for the rear, and even then you might need to adjust the bias in favour of the front a bit

You are right and it seems that it has worked out well for him.

It will be interesting to see what my bias is like when I finally get the bloody thing going Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been driving my new setup a bit this week (R33 front/std rear), but because of some dodgy wheel alignment issues I've been driving quite sedately. Still, I've jumped on the brakes pretty hard a couple of times from about 60km/h and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the brake bias. The rears didn't lock up even when I was nearly standing on the brakes, so I'm taking that as a good sign!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try it going down a 30-35 degree decline...

Yours might not be so bad because your suspension is much much stiffer though
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done this brake upgrade front and rear and am tossing up with using skyline brake booster. do you think it nessesary?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 11 January 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Necessary for what? The booster has no effect on brake performance, it just decreases pedal effort. If you think your pedal is excessively firm you might want a bigger booster, otherwise don't worry about it.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 12 January 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thats what i thought, but, i was told... there it goes again, i should use all sky stuff to comply as an entire 'system' conversion for rta etc.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 12 January 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 18:29

cool thats what i thought, but, i was told... there it goes again, i should use all sky stuff to comply as an entire 'system' conversion for rta etc.

You don't mean the master cylinder do you?
Its a separate part to the booster.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 12 January 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no? why? i men't all the booster and master, also cause the celica will have a small piston so won't be as efficient as the larger sky one?
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this upgrade good for ra60 struts. We have a set on our T18. I think it would stop pretty well with these Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, RA60 struts are pretty much identical to MA61 struts.

Only the angle of the stud axle differs
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was that supposed to say stub axle?

At this stage we are thinking about sss blubird import front brakes as he is upgrading to z32 brakes which are apparently a direct bolt up, so on that theory these should be the same bolt pattern. They are twin pots. The disc is already 4 x 114.3. Just considering if it is worthwhile over the ra60 singles to go to the twins. Car wont be slowing down any more than 100km/h to about 30 or lower top speed about 3/4 times per lap for 3 laps.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, stub axle sorry.

The call is yours, bigger brakes, mean later braking
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its outta my hands for the time being, best I can do is to make the guy with the bluebird make up his mind. If he doesnt take the 300zx brakes we will get the opportunity to buy.
Reason being is a friend has a wrecked 300zx with cheap(ish) brakes.

Ill keep you posted we he decides what he is doing if you have any left when he finally does.

I cant go and grab the brakes before him because he is my housemate and has first dibs.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Wed, 23 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, gotta hate that.

Just let me know when you find out what you want to do.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Sun, 18 September 2005 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An easier solution

There is minimum maching required to the hub and no brackets need to be fabricated to mount the caliper to the strut. A great improvement over the stock MA6x brakes, parts are readily availavle anywhere and the maching can be done quickly at a really low price.

If ideal front wheel size is 17x8 +10 offset, this setup will require 17x8 +20 offset. There should be a lot of wheels available in 4x114.3 in this spec.

Parts required as on pics below are.

MA6x hub. Outer edgine machined down to ~143mm.
MPV disc. '93 4WD. Redrilld to 4x114.3.
Z32 Caliper/pads. 30mm caliper.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1098/ma6xmpvz32a8pq.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5526/ma6xmpvz32b7az.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2682/ma6xmpvz32c2lu.jpg

I have not redrilled the 4x114.3 pattern in the disc yet, but easy to do on any drill press.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2005 22:01]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To say thats 'easier' is a bit of a stretch of the truth.

For starters, the MPV disc, not being as common as the 300ZX disc, will most likely be more expensive.
Machining a ring to be of correct size will cost a lot more.
Granted it doesn't require a caliper spacer, but thats only a $10 part.
You aren't getting full coverage of the pad on the disc.
You are locked into a 276mm disc with no easy upgrade.

The only benefit I see is that you can get rims with about 10mm less caliper clearance to fit.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does any1 have ideas if this will fit ra28 struts.
i know it does as you listed the rt142 struts which would fit into the car...but i dont need these and would rather save the dosh if these could fit the std struts.

if there are any measurements on my struts to see if this would work let me know and ill measure it up.

also would there be a 5stud hub that could in theory work?

Cheers

Nathan

PS RSDEO did the calipers bolt up? or did you have to make a mounting adapter?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 03:36]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS65 hubs would work, but bits need to be different dimensions.
So its not exactly the same.

RA28 struts are the same/similar to RA40 struts yes?

If so, then no. Like the MS65 hub the bits would need to be different dimensions.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently, RT142 struts will give + camber to a ra23/28/40 celica.

best brake upgrade for a RA28 would be the peugot/hilux/corona route.

this is what its cost me so far

corona struts and callipers - $170
bendix pads - $50
rotors - $170 (pair)
rebuild kit - -$50 ish (havent got yet )

total - $450ish
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit: meant xt130

prob is i cant find xt130 struts out this way and i think 4spot hilux calipers will be overkill for my application.

thanks all

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 07:02]

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 21:05

To say thats 'easier' is a bit of a stretch of the truth.

For starters, the MPV disc, not being as common as the 300ZX disc, will most likely be more expensive.
Machining a ring to be of correct size will cost a lot more.
Granted it doesn't require a caliper spacer, but thats only a $10 part.
You aren't getting full coverage of the pad on the disc.
You are locked into a 276mm disc with no easy upgrade.

The only benefit I see is that you can get rims with about 10mm less caliper clearance to fit.

The MPV disc is part number 960 in the DBA catalogue. So it should be easily available every where. The last benefit you stated is so very important. Every little bit helps when searching for the right rims.

TA-022 wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 23:34

does any1 have ideas if this will fit ra28 struts.
i know it does as you listed the rt142 struts which would fit into the car...but i dont need these and would rather save the dosh if these could fit the std struts.

if there are any measurements on my struts to see if this would work let me know and ill measure it up.

also would there be a 5stud hub that could in theory work?

Cheers

Nathan

PS RSDEO did the calipers bolt up? or did you have to make a mounting adapter?

The caliper bolts right up to the strut on an MA6x.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsdeo wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:35

The MPV disc is part number 960 in the DBA catalogue. So it should be easily available every where.

This is true, but it's also true of nearly all the DBA range, the Honnda NSX disc you can easily get, but it costs a damn fortune because it's not common.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 21:51

The MPV disc is part number 960 in the DBA catalogue. So it should be easily available every where.

This is true, but it's also true of nearly all the DBA range, the Honnda NSX disc you can easily get, but it costs a damn fortune because it's not common.

If DBA makes the disc then there should another manufacturer that produces the disc as well. I bought the one in the pics for testing purposes only and cost me just over cdn $30 at the local parts store. All the parts stores localy had them in stock, I just went to the cheapest place.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:51

Indeed.

Just to further show what I mean't by my comment;

The 280x30mm 300ZX discs are $100 each.
The 280x26mm 300ZX discs are $150 each.

I'd hazard a guess that the MPV discs would be around $150, if not more, due to the fact that they produce very little every year.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MPV disc also worked well for the 5 bolt conversion with the Z32 caliper/pads and later Z31 hub with no machining or special parts required. Straight bolt up.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4144/z31mpvz32a3iy.jpg

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3267/z31mpvz32b6tn.jpg
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is a ring required in that last series of pics?
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 22:21

Is a ring required in that last series of pics?

The later Z31 hub fits perfectly over the MPV disc with no play. The Starion/Conquest front 5 bolt hubs will also work, but will need machining of the outer edge to reduce the overall diameter by ~1mm.

I guess you could use a ring if you wanted.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:30]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is all sounding pretty good.

elhsupra
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 26 September 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to chime in with rsdeo.
I am currently running Mitsu Starion hubs, MPV rotors, and 2 piston Infinity Q45 calipers(was cheaper for me). No alteration of the rotor or caliper is required. The hub had the outer edge shaved by less than 1mm to fit inside the rotor. I did use a spacer between the caliper and strut that is between 0.5-1.0mm thick, but is not required. I only did it to help pull the caliper closer to the rotor to help clear my rims. I chose such a small spacer so that it would not effect the caliper or create any binding.
A source for the MPV rotor is Rockauto.com, @ 16.55 USD a rotor
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 26 September 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We don't have the option of getting $15 rotors in Australia.
elhsupra
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 26 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad Sad Sad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 26 September 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how long they'd last around a track?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others 300ZX Brake Upgrade Mon, 26 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous message
as long as they lasted one race?

'cause at $15 they'd be disposable items (well, $25-27 AUD)

You would spend more than $30 on petrol at a track day?
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1990 Camry questions
Next Topic:A70 Bushes. Where to get them!?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:56:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084249973297119 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.