Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
galtaforce
Newcomer

October 2002
icon5.gif  Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Thu, 10 October 2002 13:29 Go to next message
Hi,
I'm no expert at engine conversions and was wondering what would be involved in ripping out my poor standard 65kW carby engine and replacing it with a 100kW job. As my car has no EFI and the standard transmission I am sure it would be a serious effort and prolly involve replacing other drivetrain parts. But, if someone has tried this or can tell that this is a baaaad idea (as I am too writing this Smile ) please let me know. Also an approximate figure on cost would be nice too.

Thanks Heaps,

Galta.
  Send a private message to this user    
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Fri, 11 October 2002 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will need a Frontcut, which will contain almost everything needed. 100Kw Frontcut's go for under $2000.

You will also need;

new fuel lines
AE92 EFi Tank with Pump and Filler Piper. $200ish
AE92 100Kw Radiator if the frontcut's one is beyond repair.

Ummm, too early in the morning to think for me Shocked

Will reply with more stuff.

Basically the engine and gearbox will bolt in with minimal trouble, maybe having to switch some of the mounts around between frontcut mounts and the one's currently in your car.

You may want to look at the 20valve 4AGE whiile your at it, or if you are feeling devilish, the 4AGZE. Got Insurance?
partyjase
Regular

June 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Fri, 11 October 2002 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to cut into but

i was thinking of doing this conversion as well, cept with a 20V.

but thing that kinda puts me off is doing the fuel lines. how hard are they to run yourself, or is it just easier to get someone else to do them?

hopefully this will help u too galtaforce
galtaforce
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Fri, 11 October 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Thanks for the info. I haven't got the tools, space or knowhow to do this conversion myself so I guess I'll need to find a place in the Melbourne metro area firstly to source a 4AGE frontcut (don't think the insurance co. would like me to have a supercharger, but it would be fun Smile ) and also a place to actually do the conversion. If anyone has done this or can recomend someone who can I'd love to hear from you.

Also, as my engine number will have to change on my rego and so also on insurance, would I get away with saying that the old one hust dies and i'm replacing it? Or will I have to fork out a hefty premium increase?
dr_goolz
Newcomer

June 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Fri, 11 October 2002 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously mate, go for the 20v, its got 120kw and will be easier to find a jap import frontcut.
The 20v 4age is easy to insure also.

If you have a carby setup right now your going to need new fuel lines (although the carby ones probably could be used), and a efi fuel tank.
galtaforce
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Fri, 11 October 2002 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,

I didn't realise there was a 20V engine produced. I had only heard about the 100kW from a friend. But if there's 120kW available, well you can never have too much power Smile. Question still remains though: where can I source one and who can do a good & legal job of fitting it?
Liam
Regular

July 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Sat, 12 October 2002 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the deal with new fuel lines anyway?
I take it these are just larger?
What kind of cost would this be?

As for the EFI fuel tank, an alternative option would be to purchase an in-tank fuel pump (ie: a 7MGTE Supra one) and mount this via a bracket in the tank. However, i do not know of the baffle arrangement in the EFI/non-EFI tanks, and how this would affect surging when running low. Any comments?

Regards,
Liam.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Sat, 12 October 2002 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You dont always have to change fuel lines..
I once had a CS 4AC AE82 Cool

But im still running the all the same lines, i've got the real 4AGE ones. They might be a tiny bit bigger..

But the car is running rich and i only get about 350K-400K per tank. Its really spluttery.. sounds cool though like a rally car taking a turn (but mine does it around 3k/or under..) Its probably becuase of my incomplete induction system.. I have some sensor missing on the air. Its better to get a front cut becuase everything you need will be there. It would save you alot of time and hassle running around looking for bits.
partyjase
Regular

June 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Sun, 13 October 2002 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but would the carby models have the return fuel lines from the efi system?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Sun, 13 October 2002 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup thats the line that i think is smaller.. not sure
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Putting 100kW in 1990 AE92 Corolla CS? Mon, 14 October 2002 17:38 Go to previous message
i thought it was also something to do with the pressure run thru the lines like with a carby u only have like 6 or 7 psi or something and with EFi its like 60 or so. I'm also planing the 20v conversion in my AE82 carby im setting a budget of 3 grand and will be doing all the work myself. budgeting 2000 for the front cut 150 for the efi fuel tank and fuel lines. Gonna change em anyway don't wanna cut corners that may end up costing a lot later on. And the rest for stuff that goes wrong, filters, oil, coolant and all that stuff. I am curious tho are there any differences in the engine mounts from the carby and the 20v? And when changing them do they need to be welded to the chasis or are they bolted on? Also the 20v isn't 120kw from what i have heard its closer to 110ish aparantly toyota over rated the power figures. I was looking at doing the 100kw conversion first but after lots of talks with mechanics, wreckers, most ppl on here i've decided that for the extra money around 5-600 its well worth goin for the 20v.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE-86 Dash
Next Topic:Paint Layers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 26 12:24:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046448707580566 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.