Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mirthrolla
Newcomer

October 2002
icon5.gif  KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Fri, 11 October 2002 09:04 Go to next message
I recently converted my KE55 from auto to manual. The only major hassal has been trying to re-attatch the box cross-member...Can I just bolt it through the floor, and will it need an engineers certificate to be legal?
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Fri, 11 October 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used hi-tensile bolts and did this using a ke20 gearbox crossmember.

legality wise it would not cut it.

get the proper mounts (i know the holes are only out by a little) shifted backward so that the k50/k40 gearbox crossmember will line up. thats legal and engineerable if done right.
mirthrolla
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Sat, 12 October 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grega!
I managed to slightly modify the existing manual cross member so that it was only a few centimeters off the mounts...but still too far dammit! I'll definately give the KE20 Cross member a shot...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Sat, 12 October 2002 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remember to use hi tensile bolts
i think the ta22 gearbox x member might be the same too
mirthrolla
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Wed, 16 October 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The KE20 X-members like 1/2 a meter wide! With a couple of high tensile bolts it should work nicely...I'm also considering installing some bash plateing over the x-member to make the work less visible to those legally conscious members of the community.
Cheers Grega...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: KE55 auto to manual gearbox conversion legality... Wed, 16 October 2002 20:53 Go to previous message
personally, if you drill holes in the X member from memory they will go through the "rails" or the box tubing that runs down the length of the ke55 - i'd be welding some REAL box tubing in that section like on the outside to make sure its strong enough to hold it in place.

also bear in mind your exahust may rub on the x member too. mine did. it hung a bit low after the exhaust mob got to it. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox in a JZA70 Supra
Next Topic:autronic experts - ign cut high boost
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 18:02:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006309986114502 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.