Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Tools you can't leave at home Fri, 11 October 2002 12:22 Go to next message
After having just had to replace an intercooler hose after it popped off, I won't leave home (until I get decent intercooler piping) without a set of spanners to tighten the hoseclamps, and some screwdrivers.

I'm interested in what tools fellow Toymodders would bring along in their cars. (Bear in mind that I don't carry a spare or jack to save weight - making do with tyre inflation goo) Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 11 October 2002 12:23]

Send a private message to this user    
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Fri, 11 October 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to say you cannot go wrong with a FULL factory Toyota tool kit. All the spanners. But after buying a 39pc Kinchrome socket set. I think I will carry toyota tool kit in left rear 1/4, socket set right rear 1/4 Smile
And a space saver except for cruise and hills runs!

Jaz

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Fri, 11 October 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerber multitool and a mobile phone

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Fri, 11 October 2002 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Due to previous experience I take a 1/4 and 1/2 drive socket set, a set of ring spanners and a screwdriver (switchable)!

If anything goes wrong at least I will have tools with me...

Can't wait for the day that I feel that I don't need to have them in there any more tho!

Cheers
Wilbo
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i used to carry some sockets and stuff till some guy decided he needed them more than me Sad
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the trusty Corolla all you need is a Shifter,two screwdrivers and a hammer. Smile with them tools you can fix almost anything(BUSH MECHANIC STYLE) Very Happy Very Happy
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THE MULTI PURPOSE TOOL THAT SWINGS BETWEEN MY LEGS!HAHAHA

TOOL KIT FOR CAR!
RACE TAPE{100MPH TAPE}
SCREW DRIVERS BOTH PHILLIPS AND FLAT IN SMALL AND LARGE.
AJUSTABLE SPANNER
AS JAP CAR A 10MM,12MM,14MM,
PLIERS WITH WIRE STRIPPER
LENGHT OF WIRE
FUSE SPARE FOR ALL SIZES.
BATTERY LEEDS
ALLEN KEY SET METRIC

SHOULD DO THE TRICK
MICK
Bounty
Regular

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz Farknl mick u gona do a road side conversion or something lol Laughing yeah its always handy to have jumper leads, and a few basics screw dirvers, shifter etc etc. Wink
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I carry my whole tool box with me, you never know when my car's gonna fall apart! Very Happy
Plus jumper leads, rope, 1st aid kit, jack & all that crap. It's a bit more weight, but has saved the day a number of times, and it helps even up the weight distribution too.
I gotta get me a new fire extinguisher.....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just take the girlfriend with me in the car! If anything goes wrong she can push Very Happy
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha cool1 ! i was once at a servo and watched as a guy sat smiling to himself in the drivers seat as his girl filled the car up! i walked over reached in with him in shock and handed the keys to her and said you can drive, then turned to him and said get in the passanger seat you girl and she will drive and im going to follow you up the street to make sure she does. so of she drove and i followed for awhile till my turn off and waved. the girl had the biggest grin on her face and he was just looking straight ahead! just my good deed for the day. cant stand that sort of mentallity at all, exept when joking of course.
wonder if he learned from it! i hope so
mick
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting, I'm actually trying to get my girlfriend to drive my car but she wont get behind the wheel she wont even start it for me Rolling Eyes
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gin5 you prob make her nervous thew no fault of you own. best thing to try is to say i need you to sart it so i can listern to the engine as i cant do both{and take it out of gear and stand to the side of the car with the bonnet up}. then say i really need you to drive down the street so i can listern to a noise in the engine, when she says she cant say i dont trust anyone else driving my car but you!
or get someone else to teach her.
simple mind games.
mick
Dragunov_RA60
Regular

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Motor Oil
Torch
Spanners
Screwdriver
CB
Fire Extinguisher
Jack + spare
Water
Rags

yes, thats all Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2002 09:20]

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think she is just worried about doing a dodgy gear change or something as she knows i love the car, but think what i may have to do is go somewhere take myself a couple of beers then say she has to drive as i'm over the limit Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sat, 12 October 2002 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F*** gin you get up as early as me on a sunday!lol
yep that could be the way to go. and she could always just keep it second. but the car would be screeming its tits off down the freeway.lol
mick
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sun, 13 October 2002 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends where I'm going and who's been rabbiting my stuff, I usually try to keep tyreweld, sockets, spanners, screwdrivers, etc. etc. etc.

not to forget extinguisher and tow rope! that tow rope has saved me much strife (although I still HAVE done a lot of pushing before...)
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sun, 13 October 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick its bathurst i set my alarm for 6am Very Happy
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Sun, 13 October 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One time i was rallying a KE70 through the Bush when suddenly the track i was on droped down then came back up real fast.The car plowed in to the other side and shortend the wheel base alot Rolling Eyes. It pushed the lower radiator hose into the altinator and tore a hole in it. all we had to fix it was some lock wire and GAFtape. No tools at all Sad . WE Taped the hole up and then wired the hose out of the way Smile .it worked great Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Bottle of water
Transmission fluid
Tow rope
Jumper leads
Can of tyre inflator
Shifter
a few wrenches
Pliers
little work light
spare fuses.
Used to have screwdrivers dunno where they went?
tyre pressure gauge.

Camera - taking photos of crashes (insurance). Haven't needed it yet though. Good to have just in case.

bandages, band-aids, painkillers, anti-septic fluid, those stick-on butterfly stitches (saved me a few times), some gooey aqua-bandage things (great for those deep flesh wounds!). Very Happy

Oh and the tyre iron in the drivers door, for those 'other' emergencies. Evil or Very Mad
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anything happens I usually call someone to come and help because the usual things that go wrong with my car are pretty major.

Jack
Wheel Brace
Fuse's
Race Tape
Oil
Water
Spare Tire
Brake/clutch fluid
Shifter
Screw driver.
Tow Rope
Hayns Manual
Rag

In one other car I've got:
Rocker cover
Head
Timing change cover
2 carbys (one attached to a manifold)
Cam
Big round air filter
and a few other engine parts I've yet to identify. Razz

My car had to be towed a few times and we never had decent ropes so my friend gave me a huge role of seat belt webbing and that does the trick just fine! Very Happy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota tool kit
swis army knife
4xD Mag torch (aka * basher)
set of pantyhose

no sh%t I broke the power steering belt on my temporary car (XB Firlaine) we drove into the servo, walked past all the belts and straight to the women's sanitary area. Bought a couple of packs of pantyhose and told the attendent "Wanna see something funny". Went out side and tied the pantyhose around the crank pulley and around the PS pulley, tied it tight as we could, and drove off. Works fine. Now alyways carry a pair of pantyhose! (Car lasted a week before pantyhose came off, then I realised there were 4 belts in the boot!)
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You ever seen someone get hit in the head with one of those mag-lites? They don't get up for a while. Took a bit of paint off the torch too!
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blacki wrote on Mon, 14 October 2002 15:04

You ever seen someone get hit in the head with one of those mag-lites? They don't get up for a while. Took a bit of paint off the torch too!

Have to be careful with them. They can actually be considered a weapon, just like a baseball bat can be.
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're allowed to have a baseball bat in the car if you have a ball and glove too.

The only time you're gonna get in trouble is when you use it anyway. (and how often does that happen?? Most people are fairly reasonable.)
I don't think it really matters what it is (eg. a fence picket) If you hit someone with it, it's considered a weapon.

The only time you'll ever get away with it is if they deserve it anyway.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"When an adult male is chasing a female intent on rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy." - Dirty Harry
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here here pete

all I need if 5 litres of 25-70 oil (yes, I need all that), plus a mini-toolkit. full docket wrench set, metric spanners, screwdrivers... the works. only weighs a kg or so too

except some bastard stole both the pairs of pliers out of it
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You call that justice??

The customary rusty barbed wire and poly pipe punishment is much more fitting I feel. Also, a touch of Tabasco for good measure.

Who was that guy that said "Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out." ? I'm pretty sure it wasn't something my mother would say
I think they deserve punishment, dying just seems like an easy way out.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Mon, 14 October 2002 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best weapon in the car is a big right foot... if someone really doesn't like you, let 'em catch you Cool

There was a guy at my TAFE got done for having knives in his car, he was an apprentice butcher Very Happy eventually they let him off...
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use whatever you want to hit someone and protect yourself with, but your not aloud to have it for that intention,

for example you work in a shop and have a baseball bat there, if someone trys to rob you and you hit them over the head with it then you get busted for having a weapon, but if you have a price tag on the bat then its considered you just grabed the closest thing to protect yourself Very Happy

i say have a cam shaft in your car, cam shaft on the 18-RC is nice and long and heavey, also has those knob bits which i'm sure would really hurt to Very Happy exspecially if it still had the sprocket on the end Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2002 00:18]

Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm. Couldn't really justify to the police why the cam isn't in the trunk. Fire extinguisher maybe, spray them then hit them with it...
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considered carrying a big ass torque wrench, which even has a nice handle grip. But instead I bought some mounts for my mag torch to go under my knees, bolted to the floor. looks good too!
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a cam shaft in my boot, and some manifolds and carbies. I needed somewhere to store them.
The other day that sproket went through the front of the timing case. But I have a spare timing case in the boot as well.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man you guys are packing too much wait i reckon. i got zip ties and race tape its all you need. if they cant fix it the problems probably too big anyway.
i usually got a crow bar or a half in breaker bar in the car, good thing is im a mechanic so i just say i was taknig it home/to work to work on my car/cause i worked on my car at home you get the idea.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that we know what sort of tools we all carry, how many times have people been stuck without necessary tools or saved by what we could find in the boot?

I had the cap in the top of one of my front struts that holds the shock in come loose while I was up in Forster a couple years ago. Luckily I had the big-ass shifter in my tool box, 'cos that needs about a 30mm spanner to tighten it up.

Another time, one of the flanges in my exhaust system, just after the cat, came loose, & that sounded real bad. That was also at night, just as it started raining, so my torch jack & 13mm spanner came in handy that day.

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont usually carry many tools, but I know where all you old celica guys are coming from, I used to travel with half the toyota parts inventory.

One unusual one was for no reason I can think of I used to carry a handwritten copy of the fuel maps for the ems computer ( about 4 pages).

This came in handy one day when the thing ( about 100 k's from nowhere) decided to just stop, click, and refuse to start.

After eliminating everything else, I started looking at the maps, every setting ahd been reduced to its minimum value, even the curve modifiers which further reduced fuela and ignition by up to -213%.

An hour on the handset and I was away again.

Apparently EMS do this a lot !!! Dont buy EMS.

a month later it did it again , but only changed the +50kpa map ( on boost), cost me $2500 to fix the engine damage that time !

Matt

ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Tools you can't leave at home Tue, 15 October 2002 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Usually when something goes wrong and I need a tool I don't have it, so from that day forward I usually carry it with me.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Wed, 16 October 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...thereby never needing it again... Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Thu, 17 October 2002 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
extra pack of smokes for when the shit happens (you get mighty pissed off fast.. those spare ciggies always help!!)
bunch of screwdrivers
heaps of lecky tape
small roll of wire
fuses
brake fluid (incase clutch cylinder leaks - has happened b4!)

most of the tools i carry are cos i mess around with the interior and electrics too much, and they are the most likely thing to break
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Thu, 17 October 2002 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Tue, 15 October 2002 10:34

Considered carrying a big ass torque wrench, which even has a nice handle grip. But instead I bought some mounts for my mag torch to go under my knees, bolted to the floor. looks good too!

Can you explain this a bit more?? at the moment my maglite just sits under passenger seat next to tool box (which doesnt have many tools in it i might add).

Is there any pictures of these mounts on the net or somewhere??
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tools you can't leave at home Thu, 17 October 2002 00:50 Go to previous message
http://www.maglite.com/product_acc.asp?id=09287435 9734534&plc=DCELL&psc=4DCELL

They're mounting brackets. I drilled some holes into the floor and put in these two mounts. Never get in the way and always right at hand (often reached through window.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Injector electolysis baths.....
Next Topic:Gearbox in a JZA70 Supra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 13:37:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082740783691406 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.