Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
3SFE to 3SGE conversion Thu, 02 December 2004 07:08 Go to next message
Hi guys, just wanting to know whats involved in converting my st-162 celica from 3SFE to 3SGE. Is it a hard job, and how much $ would I need to complete it?
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Thu, 02 December 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy job and if you are handy with the spanners, it will cost you the price of the engine only.
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Thu, 02 December 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and how much would a good reco motor cost, i believe my dad has a JDM in his celica, and it goes hard as, I am so jealous...
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Thu, 02 December 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm on the far side of the country from you to give you meaningful prices but my guess would be anything from $1000 to $2500 for a recon motor and up to $1500 for a second hand used import motor.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Mon, 06 December 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think its worth the worries though... if ur just goin 3sfe to 3sge..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Mon, 06 December 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it's an almost 20kw improvement! and if you get a later model 3sge even more
andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Tue, 07 December 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can supply a ST182/183 1/2 cut with gen 2 3sge, all electrics, panels, gearbox ,driveshafts etc for $2000 + freight. It would be a great conversion for an st162
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Tue, 14 December 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but 20kw for all that hassel
andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Tue, 14 December 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or if you like how about a ST165 GT4 1/2 cut with a turbo 3SGTE for $2300+ freight
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what other costs would i be looking at too install this monster, and does this halfcut come with the gearbox? i saw a 3sgte 162 celica, and was blown away how fast ir was, and with ease! My 3sfe is very near death, and i need to make a decision on buying a whole new car or fixing this Confused

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 08:57]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it cost me 7500

gen 2 3sgte, sv21camry gearbox and starter , new engine mounts (you dont need new ones), 500hp fuel pump , front mount and piping , ems engine management, tuning, 3inch double dump exhaust, new clutch. i think thats most the expensive things but all the little things do add up .. oil, filters, wiring, boost guage, mod plate etc etc etc i did all the mechanical side of things.

u can do it alot cheaper or alot more expensive depends on your budget really. i think u COULD get away with probably 3-4 k if you knew how to do it or knew someone who could rewire an ecu and fit the engine

you can pick up a gen 2 3sgte front cut for 2000 in bribane

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 09:06]

R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quite costly, but i am sure your loving the power berad. Have you happened to take it out onto the track and post any times with it yet? Also how do you go for insurance, i just got off my p-plates, and is this sort of monster insurable?

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 09:28]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah not game to take it on a track lol.. but its got enuff power to run good times if it had traction Razz... insurance is no prblem with just car insurance im only on my p's and it insurance dont go up cauz to them its just a modification
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sv21 gearbox can handle the 3sgte's horsepower? How interesting...
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sat, 19 February 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7500...that sounds pretty expensive...? If you sold the car and got a GT-4 you would've had left over too...right...? hmm...I was thinking about doing this too...but now...after hearing that...wow...ha ha...Smiley = was that done at a shop and all...? Did you buy the half cut and do it like that...? Does it generally cost that much...? I thought...3k - 4k or less...? Hmm...yeah..I'd like to know...so i know what to do and not to do...Smiley = Gen 2 3S-GE...? Was it because it came from a mid-engined mr2? does a lot have to be done for that...anyway..I guess you've gotten to where I want to be...so any advice would be appreciated...thanks.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7500 yer it aint cheap but, in the long run i think it will be worth it ive replaced most parts that were worn or will be worn shortly due to the extra strain from the engine upgrade, and yer 7500 is not cheap but its not a standard conversion either, if i sold it yer i could probably buy a 165 gt4, but the conversion celica should beat the 165 gt4 hands down, due to 4wd and my engine being a 185 3sgte, but depends what you want handling etc etc or speed and no traction Razz..
the ecu was wired and tuned at a shop and the exhaust was also dont at a shop, but everything else was done by me.
i didnt buy a half cut as the only thing i would use would be the engine, so i chose to buy just a 3sgte out of a 185 gt4.
for the same mods as what i have, i think 7500 is about the price u should expect to pay doing little bits and pieces your self, youll always find people doing it cheaper and people doing it more expensive, but then different things are done to the car.
and yes the v6 sv21 camry gearbox is taking the power so far. and im giving it hell. but other options are mr2 gearboxs, your standard celica box but they tend to break syncros. you can use a gt4 box and modify its but not worth it in my eyes(others probably have different ideas)

dunno if ive covered everything ne more qiuestions id be happy to help

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 04:46]

hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:43

and yes the v6 sv21 camry gearbox is taking the power so far. and im giving it hell. {snip}

Not quite sure what you mean here.
There was no V6 SV21, the only 21 series Camry to have a V6 was the VZV21. It used the A540E Auto transmission. The manual gearbox was not available here in Aus, but in US it was, coded the E52.
The SV21 4Cyl uses either the A140/E auto or S53 manual. The only manual gearbox in Aus fitted to the V6 on the camry was the E153, first seen on the 1992 MCV10.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 03:52]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have no idea then lol the tag on the box wen i boguht it said v6 sv21 lol.. and i askd for the biggest sv21 manual box so i dunno...

i dont doubt what u just said but i dunon why the gearbox said that and when i asked the d00d at the wreckers said yer v6 sv21 so yer wouldnt have a clue unless it is called something different but still is the sv21 shape??

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 09:43]

hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it an auto box??
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh! I thought you were talking $7500 for a 3S-GE conversion...not a 3S-GTE...fair enough...yeah actually...I've heard they cost quite a bit just coz of all the little bits involved...but I guess I'm more interested in a 3S-GE swap too...I just assumed your's was coz that was the title...Smiley = but anyway...thanks for the info..Smiley =
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its 5 speed manual. so i have no idea now what it is or maybe it is juts the 2.2 or watever was in the camrys but yer the tag and the guy at the wreckers told me it was v6. either way its holding up to alot more power than what it was built for
hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well..theres no V6 5 speed here in Aus..unless you got an E52..which is the V6 box ONLY in the US..but i highly doubt someone imported one of them..as the E153 V6 box from the MCV10+ Camry's are much stronger and will bolt up no probs.
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Sun, 20 February 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI kids.... E153 is the code for the 5 speed in the MR2 turbo from 89 till probably 97 ish..... aparently they changed code after 97 or 98 and were even stronger.

so yes this box is fine for the 3sgte... however i'd say the ratios in it would be different than in the E153 in the mr2 turbo.... probably doesn't matter much though
hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Mon, 21 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackMR2 wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 01:26

FYI kids.... E153 is the code for the 5 speed in the MR2 turbo from 89 till probably 97 ish..... aparently they changed code after 97 or 98 and were even stronger.

so yes this box is fine for the 3sgte... however i'd say the ratios in it would be different than in the E153 in the mr2 turbo.... probably doesn't matter much though

Yes the E153 box was used in the MR2..it was also used in the 92-96 5 Speed Manual V6 Camry. The gear ratios between the MR2 box and the Camry box are different. The MR2 box may also be slightly stronger, however the MR2 box has a reversed gear linkage, which must be modified to suit any FWD application.

The code for the box in 97+ MR2's could be the E351..but im 100% on that one.

The gear ratio's for the E153 transmission for Camry models is:
1st - 3.230
2nd - 1.913
3rd - 1.258
4th - 0.918
5th - 0.731

Ratio's for E153 transmission for MR2 models is:
1st - 3.538
2nd - 2.045
3rd - 1.333
4th - 0.972
5th - 0.731
Which closely follow the E351 ratio's.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 02:46]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Mon, 21 February 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough but gearbox selection is not really an important part unless your going for huge amount of power and drive it real hard. i know a few people using the stock celica box and they seem to be holding up but yeah they will break after a while but there cheap to replace, i was speaking to someone who uses a 2000 model camry altima box? i think thats wat there called and has alot of power and its held up for over a year
d_ice
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Fri, 25 November 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea hey, I'v got a SV21 1989 Camry that comes with a 3SFE, since it's gonna die soon, i was thinking of adding a 3SGE or something with abbit more grunt

BTW is it possible to have a 3SGE in auto? coz i'm still on my red P plates n can't drive a 5 speed
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Fri, 25 November 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol bit old but yes the 3sge will bolt in and yr auto box will bolt onto the 3sge, youlll need the 3sge ecu etc i dont know if its worth the money if you can do it yourself and get things cheap go for it if you have to pay i wouldnt bother theres not a great deal of performance to be gained
d_ice
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: 3SFE to 3SGE conversion Fri, 25 November 2005 08:54 Go to previous message
thanx for da tip, but how much would it cost for the 3SGE, and how much would it cost for a 3SFE because i'm gonna buy an engine anyway whether its a 3SFE or a 3SGE.

if you don't recomend a 3SGE then what engine DO you recomend keeping in mind the petrol prices these days and that it would HAVE to fit onto an auto box?

thnx again
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fuel pump and regulator for a st162
Next Topic:What the hell is this??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:16:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064280033111572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.