Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon4.gif  Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Sun, 13 October 2002 10:27 Go to next message
Has anyone seen or heard of this conversion being done (Nissan SR20 turbo into an AE86). That is, does someone on this forum have an AE86 that this conversion been done to, as I have some questions to ask about the conversion.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Sun, 13 October 2002 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you seen HPI4? it has a section on Hatchi's with SR20det's in them. IT also has one with a 2JZGTE in it Very Happy
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Sun, 13 October 2002 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of my mates has a KE30 with an SR20det in it.
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Sun, 13 October 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard @ Japanese Motorsport here in Adelaide is just about to start putting an SR20DET into an AE71. Essentially the same conversion.

He seem to know already all that is involved.

He can be contacted on +61 08 8260 6919
or emailed on: jms@cobweb.com.au
(might be .net.au, cant remember)

Cheers

Chris
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Mon, 14 October 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a little about it, I wanted to do it at one stage (then i came to my senses) But if you have any questions, throw them at me.

OR

Get onto a guy named Rob Shoesmith, He's done it (ill find his eMail when i get home)

I spent a while chatting with him, nice guy, did the whole thing in his garage.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Mon, 14 October 2002 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't mean Jeff Shoesmith do you:

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/featurecars/JeffS /JeffS_Dat.htm

Or is that just an uncanny coincidence....I know it's a Datsun.

Well here I go:

What I would like to know are what issues were encounted getting the sump to clear the rack and cross member?

Were there any issues with gear stick placement in the car? Obviously the tailshaft will require some attention.

Any issues with getting the engine as far back as possible in the engine bay, as well as low down? Which may be related to the sump issue.

I don't see what is not sensable about this conversion!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Mon, 14 October 2002 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, Its Rob, he's an older guy (> 40). I think he's Jeff's father. The whole family seems to love SR20's

Heres some pics of Rob's car:

http://www.shoeys.com/content/datsuns/datsun2/ldad s1.jpg

http://www.twelve100.com/PHOTOS/contributions/11-1 -2001/ROB_1.jpg

http://www.twelve100.com/PHOTOS/contributions/11-1 -2001/ROB_2.jpg

http://www.twelve100.com/PHOTOS/contributions/11-1 -2001/ROB_6.jpg

Yes, there are headaches, with getting the sump to fit. Because the SR20 is such a tall engine the crossmember needs to be spaced down atleast 25mm and the sump needs a notch taken out of it.

The Silvia 'Box is also huge, which means that the tunnel needs major reworking (cutting). and the stick will come through approx 6 inches further back (from memory). And yes need custom tailshaft (and big diff Very Happy )

There really is not any room at all to move the engine around. With the 25mm lower xmember there's still only about 10mm clearance above and below and behind the engine.

You also need to cut the entire radiatior support and fabricate a removable version out to even get the engine into the bay.

Rob did the whole thing himself and has something like 30years experience and it still costed him 6000 odd dollars.

Personally, I dont like the idea. It would be very quick in a straight line but having such a large heavy engine sitting where a small light one would normally go would do alot to ruin the Sprinter's superb balance.

Not to mention the amount of work re-working the radiator support, crossmember and transmisstion tunnel plus Engineering hassles with cutting so much metal.

On the up side though keeping the entire Engine/G'box package gives freedom with clutch selection, standard manifolds ECU etc Plus the SR20's aftermarket support is great.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Mon, 14 October 2002 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the money you'd get a late 3sgte in there with a w58, and have enough left over for some good bits maybe Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Tue, 15 October 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Rex, I'm not disagreeing with you it is just that I have been told a slightly different turn of events.

I was quoted 6k to do the conversion - turnkey solution. Including all wiring fitment of engine, exhaust and upgraded fuel system for injected motor etc.

In that conversion I was told that they had done similar cars (Toyotas, not sure which ones) and did not need to do much massaging of the gearbox tunnel or an cutting of the radiator mounts etc. I can't confirm but I believe the SR20 is only 20kgs heavier than a 4AGZE, not sure about the 3SGTE weight. I might have to ask again!

For the money I think that the 3SGTE solution does not hold that many benefits, these are what I feel are the disadvantages over and above fitting a SR20DET.

1. Bell housing to W box, probably have to deal with Dellow hey mrshin!! #$@ that
2. Getting a W box
3. Having to convert to rearwheel drive layout, dump dizzy or pickup which I suspect will clash with the fire wall and hence be forced to run a crank angle sensor and ergo an aftermarket computer
4. I guess (read guess) that the weight difference between a 3SGTE and SR20 is negligable hence why go through the above

And just so you know I am not concerned about tissue rejection cause I have put a Nissan motor in a Toyota.

Cheers

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2002 06:48]

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Tue, 15 October 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well then, if youve lookied into it, the price is right and its what you want....

Then get in there and get it done Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nissan SR20DET into AE86 - questions Wed, 16 October 2002 13:05 Go to previous message
I shall.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:autronic experts - ign cut high boost
Next Topic:Best celica for a 1G-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 22:24:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057458877563477 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.