Toymods » Tech & Conversions » "Project T" for turbocharging

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD086
Occasional Poster

October 2002
icon4.gif  "Project T" for turbocharging Sun, 13 October 2002 13:27 Go to next message
Hey Guys !!!!

Really need some help here, I don't know jack all about modifying cars..

Basically I want to turbocharge my 4ag sprinter, but don't know which aftermarket computer to use. Can all aftermarket comp can recognise turbo charge engine? Can anyone suggest some name and model to me? Please keep in mine that i'm a uni student and i don't have much money. Sad

Another thing.. cause i'm going for a tight-ars conversion, can anyone recommend me any low boost turbo i can use to turbocharge my 4ag while retaining the same compression..

By the way what is a waste gate used for... and would it to turbo charge the engine...

thanks guys much appreciated.........
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Sun, 13 October 2002 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hate to put a dampener on things, but keep in mind that these things always cost a LOT more than you'd like them to - and if you do try and get away without spending something now (e.g. using an NA 4age to begin with), it'll cost you more later... Where abouts you live?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Mon, 14 October 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would suggest doing it in two stages...

Drop a 4A-GZE in there. Prolly costs the same as a turbo conversion.

Then when you have enough money, throw the supercharger away and pop on a turbo.

That way you have an engine which was made to run boost. Much stronger, and you can run higher boost.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Mon, 14 October 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and apparently u can run a turbo on the stock GZE ECU up to 14psi
TRD086
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin i live in Sydney..

I have done some research and found that the SAAB 9000CD Turbo runs on an engine compression of 9.0:1 where as the 4age have a standard compression of 9.4:1.

What a mate have told me was that if i installed a TRD gaskett it should reduces my compression and if i installed a european turbo (something like the SAAB with low boost), it would be feasible on the 4ag.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What size engine is in a SAAB 9000CD?
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bigger that 1.6L Laughing
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it has been said before, but this article should really help you in terms of what to do right in the first place and possible just how much it may well cost.

http://www.toymods.org.au/4A-GTE/

for myself it is a toss up of doing the above or an sr20det, still undecided.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2002 07:36]

TRD086
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark..

The SAAB engine is 2 liter twin cam.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a thought, due to the comp ratio, conrods, etc. in an NA 4ag, the power gain/$ spent is probably going to favour putting in a 4AGZE rather than getting only similiar power from trying to add a turbo. Try it and it'll probably work, but add the cost of management/turbo/manifold/intercooler/fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.) and the whole host of other parts, (how much that gasket cost anyways?) and it'll probably horrify you Very Happy
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to mention time on the dyno tuning it.
TRD086
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrshin..

How much will I be looking at with the 4agze conversion.

Also i still don't know whats a wastegate used for, and does all turbo car or conversion needs to have one.

Thanks
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Tue, 15 October 2002 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your not looking at doing it yourself you will be looking at close too if not over 5000 dollars
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Wed, 16 October 2002 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of saving money, any ideas on cheap options for the SV21?? i am also a uni student
engines... turbo....
currently all im looking at is new air intake & exhaust
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Wed, 16 October 2002 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD086 wrote on Wed, 16 October 2002 00:08

Also i still don't know whats a wastegate used for, and does all turbo car or conversion needs to have one.

A wastegate opens up when a certain amount of boost is reached. Basically it controls how much boost will be made by the turbo.

And, yes, you need one unless you don't want the turbo to last very long... Most turbos have integrated wastegates anyway...

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2002 00:33]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Wed, 16 October 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I guess 5 grand is a plausible sounding figure for a 4agze conversion getting most of the stuff done - can't say exactly because I haven't done one myself. Remember also though that brakes, suspension, etc. really could do with a bit of a fiddle as well...

A wastegate is a valve used to bypass exhaust gasses around the turbo, in order to regulate boost pressure. If you have a look at a turbo at the wreckers, you should be able to work out fairly clearly how it works - without it boost would almost always go far too high. Remember that in no way does boost = power, so just boosting anything stupid will cause many problems and not make a whole lot of power...

Mate of mines got an SV21, and yes they are a tad sluggish Very Happy You can add a filter, exhaust, fluro ignition leads, polish the cam covers, paint your calipers and put stickers all over it, but you're still not really going to set yourself any records down the drag strip. Only ways to get a little bit more really are:

Latest possible 3SGE conversion (e.g. beams) (up to about 150kw)

3SGTE conversion (what we'll do to his once he saves enough $, anywhere between 150-350kw, not that I recommend a 350kw camry!)

Sell it and buy a VZV21 camry (the v6 one), at least that way you'll have no legal hassles and still get a bit more poke (i think its about 125kw instead of the standard 82/88)
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: "Project T" for turbocharging Wed, 16 October 2002 00:55 Go to previous message
hehehe, 350kw camry, can imagine the front wheels spinning out of control, and the torque steer!
i think one of these days im gonna have to sell the little box and get something a little sexier with more kick in the balls

(or buy the newest camry... Confused )
until then
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra23/ta22 diff ratios
Next Topic:Replacing the 7M-GTE Head Gasket
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 22:31:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078890323638916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.