Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celikar
Regular

September 2002
ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 07:27 Go to next message
Just wondering if there is a straight swap master cylinder for an RA23, The one that i have in at the moment is on its way out and the mechanic i went to said that they dont make new ones any more... he said he would hone the one thats in there and it will cost 270 to remove/rebuild/re fit it.

Does anyone know if there is a better one available and where can i get it and how much should i pay??..

is there one out of a supra or something. and also is it dodgy rebuilding the one i have?.

cheers..

Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
270's a bit steep, I paid 90 bucks to have mine resleeved. And I thought that was a bit steep!
That was at the clutch & brake dude behind waitara (Sydney) Auto 1.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I simply took the old one to a Brake place and they found a larger bore but same bolt pattern Landcruiser(i think) .but make sure you get a drum brake rear model .I got a disc rear for the 9 inch .Brand new much bigger and around $150( sorry cant remeber how much )....3 years ago

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2002 09:18]

TRACTION_ISSUES
Regular

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont argue this point..........

An MA/GA/JZA70 master cylinder bolts on. Its 1" bore compared to 13/16" Celica one.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? That should bolt onto the Ta22 aswell?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Its 1" bore compared to 13/16" Celica one.

Cool, I've been wanting to find those specs for a while. I've been keeping my eye out for one of these.

Are there rebuild kits available?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane, no it won't bolt onto the ta22. the ra23 and ta22 are different. the ra's have four bolts we have two bolts.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that just blows some fury goats balls then doesn't it Evil or Very Mad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you *might* be able to swap the whole master/booster assy tho.

OR get an ae95 tercel or whatever the f..k it is master. i scored one for mine which bolts straight up..
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I might try one of them! Whats the spec on it?
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACTUALLY your right the Cressida M/S is the same

the booster wont fit though it fouls the clutch master cylinder ...HEHEEE not on mine(auto)
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRACTION_ISSUES wrote on Mon, 14 October 2002 19:51

An MA/GA/JZA70 master cylinder bolts on. Its 1" bore compared to 13/16" Celica one.

Will the booster fit aswell?

what exactly will i need to do the swap. I have never done any brake work so if you wouldn't mind explaining what's involved in the changover.

what car/s does the MA/GA/JZA70 master cylinder come from and where can i pick one up?

cheers...

anyone want to help me fit a new master cylinder and some tie rods?...

if you have the expertise i have the beer and food>>>>

Seriously if anyone can help me and has the tools and time this weekend to fit the bits i will supply the beer and some cash for your trouble...

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It comes from a GA70/JZA70/MA70 Supra....try asking around for someone with a front-cut or possibly a wreckers or something..
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Mon, 14 October 2002 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRACTION_ISSUES wrote on Mon, 14 October 2002 19:51

Is the RA6x master cylinder 1" as well? I have one of these to go in my RA23, I chose it because I still have rear drums... I'm hoping it's a larger bore than the original RA23 unit, but I'm not sure?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Tue, 15 October 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Norbie, so does that have the same bolt pattern as the RA23 unit?
Isn't the bore cast into the side of it?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Tue, 15 October 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On visual inspection the bolt pattern looks the same, but I've yet to try it out. I haven't looked at it in a while so I'm not sure if anything is cast on the cylinder, but I'll check it out tomorrow!
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Wed, 16 October 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the original re done yesterday and it's O.K. could be better but at least the car stops now!!

looking @ doing the pug/hilug upgrade soon...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oooh... im interested in this now!!!

so anybody got any ideas of the cost of the MA/GA/JZA70 master cylinder and booster?

would it be worth doing both booster and cylinder?
does the supra set come out as far as the ra23 version? cos i'm having room issues with the weber's trumpets and socks.
would i need to do anything to the brake lines to fit the supra brake hardware?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you just have to bend a few break lines to match up with the new outlets, quite simple.

quite a good guide right there.. tried tested and proven way to get better breaks.

http://www.toymods.org.au/phill_brake/

Master cylinder option for TA/RA23 is the item off the GZ20 Soarer, GA70 and MA70 Supra. The brake lines around the master cylinder need to be bent slightly to suit the new one, but it's nothing major. It has only one fluid reservoir, and a 1" bore diameter, as opposed to the 13/16" bore on the Celica item. This allows more fluid to flow to the calipers (as it is some 50% bigger in bore area) when the brake pedal is pressed. This results in awsome pedal feel (100% better than with the Celica master cylinder!!).

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hence i would be using the original ra28 booster? and i'd only be buying the MA70 brake cylinder (the bit that pokes out of the booster)?
im occasionally a dumbass with mechanical crap....
Of course im assuming all this applies to the RA28 cos its virtually identical to the RA23 mechanically
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 17 October 2002 11:46

Of course im assuming all this applies to the RA28 cos its virtually identical to the RA23 mechanically

I thought they are THE SAME mechanically, just not body wise.. but yeah standard booster, just the mastercylinder off the supra
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, bags first dibs on the next one that comes on these forums for sale! Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Thu, 17 October 2002 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill race you for it joel!!! Cool

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Fri, 18 October 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok - so the MA brake booster is good for a ra23/28 , whats the best for the ta22 ..

Ive just had my stock one rehoned recently and am happy with it for now - though id like a bit more solid pedal feel ..

Ive also got to look at replacing the brake flud resivour - as mine seems to weep a little around the top lip while the car corners - splashing a little fluid down the isnide of the engine bay - in turn stripping the paint , which shits me .. Any ideas on a Screw tight resivour - or a solving suggestion

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2002 10:17]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Fri, 18 October 2002 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stu........old ae95 tercel 4wd thingo. i scored a master from ekw dude - bolts up to the celica booster no issues.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade Sat, 19 October 2002 09:08 Go to previous message
ill have a peek about for one - Hey greg - what are u up to next weekend - im heading to melb to check out a 72 ceical on saturday - care to meet up or tag along ?

PM me dude - and we'll go from there
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 Tyre suggestions
Next Topic:To 4AG boys
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 19:17:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006633996963501 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.