Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 08:07 Go to next message
i have an st162 (89) with a didgy gearbox. how feasible isit to slap a 6x supra gearbox in there?

If so, does anybody have one they would like to sell?
  Send a private message to this user    
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Considering your celica is front wheel drive and supra's aren't it is not possible and therefore not feasible.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger. i need a new gearbox and one with longer ratios, at least for 5th
i'm doing 92 km/h at 3000 rpm in 5th
sweathers
Regular

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahahhaha
this tiny fact escaped your attention?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
obviously not or i wouldnt be complaining about it
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bolt the st 165 motor and box in .

Trevor
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 motor still only comes with a 5spd.

or was there a special release or something.

Is yours running the 3sge or fe? coupe or liftback?

If I was you I'd take this oportunity to find a 3sgte and drop it in.... I was very close to doing this to my old ST162.

Find a new FWD box or reco your existing one and don't snap 2nd gear too often..... Rolling Eyes (if yours is anything like mine was the syncros are probably gone on 2nd....correct?)

If you just want to have it rev a bit lower at cruising speeds you could look at putting a lower ratio final drive into it.... I'm sure there must be a few different ones considering how many different toyotas used this engine. Will reduce your acceleration though Sad

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The synchro is going on 3rd and is quite bad on reverse. second is brilliant. it's a 3sge. i would like a 3sgte but i wan to wait until i have more points on my license, i still have a rather large speeding fine to pay off.if i could get the current one reconditioned and change the ratio on 5th, that would be excellent, but custom jobs are expensive
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Mon, 14 October 2002 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you COULD cut the floor out, make it RWD, then fit a 2JZ+6 speed, but maybe you should pay the speeding fine first Very Happy
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The synchro is going on 3rd and is quite bad on reverse

Correct me if I'm wrong but reverse shouldn't have synchromesh to begin with?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so why would reverse crunch so badly?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because (as pointed out) it doesn't have synchromesh. You can't just jam it into gear like you would with 1st, you have to be more gentle. Put the clutch in, wait half a second, and gently push the stick into gear. If it doesn't go in properly the first time, quickly engage and disengage the clutch and try again. Oh, and needless to say, the car should be completely stationary before you try to engage reverse.

I always cringe when I see people shove their box into reverse and crunch the gears, I can just imagine what that's doing to the internals!
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could always press the clutch, put to a gear that has syncro's (say 4th) and then put to reverse gently, as well.

Cheers
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am not a fool. dont patronise me. i have tried every trick in the book. 1st-R, 2nd-R etc. the only way it will not crunch is if i shift it into reverse while the engine is off.
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Tue, 15 October 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a fool hey?? comming from a man who honestly asked whether he could put a supra 6-speed in his fwd Celica?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Thaz the last straw..
Im outta here.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Let he who is innocent cast the first stone'

Also, is your clutch disngaging properly? Sounds like it might not be if it always crunches reverse with the engine running.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and hey - it IS possible to put a v160 in an st162 - just not entirely practical, sensible or reasonable! After all, if you can put a 350 chev/powerglide into a camira...
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, not a fool. just because i dont know everything about gearbox swapping or the toyota supra, doesnt mean i dont know how to drive my car, which incidentally, could beat the crap out of yours
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which one of these guys could your car show the door? Celicamad's?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corvid
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Mr Shin, we have all asked questions that seem obvious to others. At least he has come to the right people to ask his questions, there is a hell of a lot of stuff I have learned from asking questions here.
The only way to learn is to ask someone who knows and this forum has a huge reserve of people who have actually been there and done that. Just remember not everyone is a Toyota fanatic so why do you assume that everyone should know a supra is RWD when a lot of people wouldn't even be able to identify one?
Lets just help each other with our different needs and leave the rest out of it.

Callum

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benmeyer wrote on Wed, 16 October 2002 11:46

just because i dont know everything about gearbox swapping or the toyota supra, doesnt mean i dont know how to drive my car, which incidentally, could beat the crap out of yours

Can we stop this juvenile bullshit? Do you even know what car he has?

Corvid. We were all unknowledgable once, try being constructive and help people instead of making comments like that. We try to make Toymods a friendly and helpful community for all people who are interested in modifying their cars. We don't need people to alienate and ridicule newbies.

As for the crunching in reverse, it really does sound like the clutch isn't disengaging. Try to double clutch:
Clutch in
Put it into neutral
Clutch out
Clutch in
Put it into reverse

Might help.
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite frankly i dont this i ridiculed this guy? Hell nark you called him a newbie Laughing
He made a statement that he is not a fool, I wasnt trying to be rude or put him off on the wrong foot.. I just come here and see a million questions being asked over and over again when all someone has to do is search the forum db as its allready been discussed. Fact is, People seem to be too lazy to do this. I admit i have learnt a bit from these forums. But a good couple of hours reading on the net can really broaden your wealth of knowledge. Hell, i dont think many people on these forums are full on mechanics.. I know im not. I now work on everybit of my car, not only is it cheaper and i trust myself more than some mechanic who only sees the dollar signs. I have a real interest in mechanical things, if it takes petrol im interested (im sure im not alone on that one).

All i can say to the dude who says he's gonna chop me to bits..
I really hope your celica is a 3sgte, and 4wd.
Either way.. Where and when.. cause your on.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2002 05:03]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you have to remember is the 3s-ge and 3s-gte are both high revving engines
they're not like a big block, where cruising rpm is 1500

a 3-gte is definitly worth it .. simple bolt in (well, compared to what I'm trying)
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And its not like they burn heaps of fuel when sitting on 3000rpm...

My old ST162 got from sydney to the Queensland border on one tank with fuel to spare. Thats over 700km's Shocked.

Although mine used to do just under 110 at 3000rpm which is about 15km/h faster than what you quoted
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats my problem. it can't be a stock tranny. i suppose a stock tranny would have a longer ratio on 5th?cause 92@ 3000 rpm is a bit low if u ask me
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 16 October 2002 10:43

and hey - it IS possible to put a v160 in an st162 - just not entirely practical, sensible or reasonable! After all, if you can put a 350 chev/powerglide into a camira...

Mrshin, I like the cut of your jib, to quote C. Montgomery Burns.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And we must agree on at least one thing: The camira is quite possibly the worst car Holden ever produced.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also what are you checking RPM and speed with? Stocky gauges after a few years of bumps, sunshine, etc. aren't always the most accurate of things...
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm will probably kick my slow corollas ass too!! speaking of which.. =]

if you're having trouble engaging reverse sounds like ap ossible pressure plate problem =]
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah i see.

Would you guys think it's worth it to recondition an old stock-as-a-rock tranny or should i look at something newer? the n/a st185's were all fwd werent they?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not worth re-coing a gearbox like that
almost certainly cheaper to find a wreck and grab a st165 box (although I have no idea on prices)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the homologation form for a ST162 and here's a little math.
The diff in australian models is (i think) usually a 4.176:1 ratio, and fifth gear ratio is 32/39 standard wheel radius is 7" + 195mm * 0.6
so radius is 0.2948m, meaning on cold tyres, circumference is 1.852m.

90km/h = 1500m/min
So the revs per min done at 90km/h on a completely stock ST162 at the tyre is 809.935. And hence at the engine, multiply that figure by 4.176 * (32/39) and you get 2775rpm. I think. Smile

That is of course bs.

Tyres tend to compress a fair bit, the effective rolling radius is different, so you get a rolling radius of about 0.2811 and you get rpm of about 2910 @ 90km/h fyi.
Also note that the ST162s speedo is under-estimative until about 100km/h so when it says you are doing 90 you are doing 91 (according to Wheels magazine anyway).

If you want longer ratios, get a different diff, there are quite a number of ratios available ranging from about 3.045 to 4.6
However, as to where to get these from - who knows. These are only on the homolgation form for the car, and may not be very readily available - probably country specific stuff. I'd imagine a European diff would be much longer, probably because of their higher speed highways etc etc.

They also have a close ratio box (japan only I'd imagine - don't quote me though), but from the revs you say you are doing, I doubt you've got it, you'd be doing more like 3600 at 90 kays.

Hope I was helpful!!!
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks FWDBoy. that actually makes some sense of it.

st 165? i am not aware of this body type. was this the coupe (st) version?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST165 is a 4WD turbo version of the ST162, but they don't share quite the same body (4WD components wouldn't fit in a ST162), but the power plant from the ST165 fits in fairly easily into the ST162, I'm not sure though seeing as I don't know anyone who wants 150kW at the front wheels and a ****load of torque.
I think you can get 3S-GTEs for less than 2 grand....
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yes. the infamous 165-GT4. they only made something like 400 of them. very rare. at least in australia.

if i had my way i'd have a 3rd gen 3sgte over me front wheels. I'd spend the first300m of a 1/4 mile run trying to gain traction. Laughing
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Wed, 16 October 2002 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the STxx5 are all turbocharged 4wd variants...
the STxx2 are all powered by 3SGE and are FWD
the STxx4 are all powered by 5SFE and are FWD
the ST183 are convertible fwd with 3SGE gen 2
there might be an ST203? I am not sure though.

150kw at the front wheels isn't too bad FWDboy. Hell I drive around with that everyday, the only traction control you need is your foot, after driving one for a while you learn its little kinks and things...you can almost predict what it will do when u slam the throttle so you just correct it =] Like a RWD I guess but the wrong end goes out =]

No normal FWD box will hold upto the 3SGTE if you drive it hard, even the Camry V6 box will eventually go =]
There are only 2 types of gearboxes that will hang together in FWD.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And they are??
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe - man I've had plenty of fun on the rally track with just the standard ST162, either drifting or understeering. I think it takes two very sensitive feet. One on the brake, and one on the accelerator. Of course, it gets confusing when you have to put your left foot on the clutch...

I suppose it would be near impossible to convert a ST165 box to a fwd one.
You could always go the ducks guts and grab a Holinger or X-Trac if you got squillions Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh the camira... Yeah it is a pretty ordinary car - but holden HAS produced several worse ones - anybody even driven an RB (fwd) Gemini? RWD gem's are a top little car - can't say the same for the front drivers!

Also, one day I DO intend to work on a far worse car - a TM magna! Cut the ENTIRE floor out, add a decent engine and 4wd system, and make sure it looks AWFUL in that brown colour they came out in... I'm gonna really love looking at peoples faces after a good thrashing Evil or Very Mad
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm. Mitsubishi certainly have come a way since. Now, they have what is arguably the best sports V6 from the big 3 aussie manufacturers. a 180 kw magna.

Stock bodykits arent sposed to look good... i think mitsubishi forgot
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*clears his throat
ahem... factory supra body kit? that thing breaks the rules as well... looks amazing for a factory one
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe they thought they would save customers 5k for a bodykit and respray?
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Putting 6x Supra Gearbox into 89 st162 of roughly same age Thu, 17 October 2002 16:08 Go to previous message
ben,

I have answered this what they are question too many times to bother doing it again, do a search and you will find your answer =] I dont mean to be rude, but its been answered many times before.

FWDboy,

Btw mate its fairly simple to convert a ST165/185/205 box to FWD....but the fact remains its still an open spinner front diff. and weighs around the 85kg mark.

Michael
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte question
Next Topic:Timing Map & Fuel Map for the 20v 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 22 17:51:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010616064071655 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.