Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 04:54 Go to next message
What 6 speed gearboxes have toyota made? I know the most recent supra has a 6 speed, but have no idea what the model # is, and I'm pretty sure that there's at least one lexus with a 6 speed too...

anyway, the point is... total waste of time putting one in an ae86? better off using a w58 or similar?

any thoughts are welcome.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were planning to put a BEAMS 3SGE from an Altezza, that 6-speed may fit...
The Mk4 Supra box only comes on JZ series engines and is fucking HUGE! Scratch that one.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you are getting a BEAMS, I wouldn't worry, and if you are going for a powerful engine, I'd just try a W58...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both the Supra 6-speed and Altezza/IS200 6-speed will cost you an arm and a leg, and that's before you pay for the custom fabrication work to make it fit. The extra ratio is of very little benefit on the street, so it hardly seems worth it. A good 5-speed (eg W58 as suggested) will work fine and won't cost you a kidney.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took a Supra TT 6 speed up to Sydney....that mofo weighed 58 kg! Crazy shift mechanism too. Great looking box, but a total wank for the street.....when was the last time you were topped out in 5th and needed another gear?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got two 6-speed boxes, one from the Altezza front cut and another brand-new one (okay, with about 10km on it!) from an Aussie IS200 Lexus.
The Altezza box is for the Fraser Clubman and the Lexus box is for the AE-86. One of the main problems with the Sprinter is that the gearstick comes out about 10cm too far back on the 6-speed box, so we'll have to come up with something to fix that.

The current plan is to start the conversion early next year.
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'topped out in 5th and needed another gear'?

check out the ratios on a 6 speed. where 4th is the 'direct drive' gear on a 5 speed, 5th is the same ratio on most 6 speeds, with 6th gear being the overdrive. therefore if someone decided they needed a 6 speed because they found themselves at top speed in 5th too often, then they'd be making a foolish decision. you get a 6 speed for the same reason you'd get a short ratio 5 speed, only without any of the disadvantages of having 5 short gears.

i didn't think a 6 speed was really necessary, just exploring all the possible options. will probably look at getting another t50 or a w58.
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what you're telling me bill, is that it's not TOTALLY ludicrous, but i'd be looking at a fairly serious whack of hard work. of course, to get my 4age up to the power numbers i'm hunting will probably take a fair bit of work anyway, so...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you wouldn't change the diff ratio if you were running a 6 speed? That would make putting in a 6 speed a totally pointless exercise for exactly the reasons you pointed out. What do you do with that ridiculously low first gear.....you could take off in second and use the next 4 gears like a normal 5 speed, but you spent nigh on $3000 for the privilege of a sixth useless gear. See the wank factor now?
Cheaper option is always the 5 speed, and if you want a close ratio box, it's actually cheaper to get gears made and reco either of the boxes you mentioned, than to buy a 6 speed box. If you really want a 6 speed box, the Altezza ones seem to go for around 2-2500, whilst the Getrags go for 3000+ (if you can get one). Nissan 200SX and Mazda MX5 share the same box (diff ratios however) as the Altezza, and TRD make a close ratio kit for them (>4000 AUD).

froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once more, let's altogether chorus (as we all do)

nice idea, if i had the money.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RWD toyota 6 speeds? what's available? worth it? Tue, 15 October 2002 10:46 Go to previous message
Too right! hehehe Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:insurance for gze????
Next Topic:questions about watanabe wheels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 25 14:35:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071609020233154 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.