Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Engine Swap worries!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
icon9.gif  Engine Swap worries!!! Sun, 19 December 2004 23:28 Go to next message
G'day all,
I was in deep thought today and have decided i want to do an engine swap! i have an MA61 with a 5ME, but as we all know they are pretty average. So i want to upgrade to something a little meaner, perhaps a 1JZ!! my only problem is i am a bit of an engine swap noob!! my idea was to get the 1JZ bolted in then send it to the auto electricans to have wired up. Does anyone think i am throwing myself in the deep end here, cause i am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to engines, but i feel as if i could learn quickly. My biggest concern is actually buying the half cut then finding out that i am not capable of doing it! i have a few mates who would be able to help aswell!! does anyone have some guiding words for me?
thansk anyway
Nick

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2004 23:32]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find out how capable your mates are with this.

Coz if they fail at it, you have to do it, or you have to pay for it to be done.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well many of them are quite knowledgable with this sort of stuff. I am not a complete noob and know nothing, but do u think even a person who isn't 100% sure would find it hard to just have the engine bolted in and hooked upto the g'box. What is the deal with the tail shaft and g'box. i read that the W58 can hook upto a 1JZ, am i able to keep the same tail shaft or would i need a new g'box and tailshaft ?? My other option is to goto a lesser 6MGE, then turbo that or just go the whole hog and get the 1JZ. I would perfer the 1JZ but what i want and what i am capable of are 2 different stories!!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beside exhaust and intercooler piping, there isn't much more difficulty involved in putting a 1jzgte in over a 6mge.

While 5me to 6mge is still a fairly basic swap, it is by no means a bolt up and plug in conversion.
You will have some wiring hassles, and probably some hose hassles, like power steering, and aircon, not to mention things like brake boosters and the like.

1jz weill bolt up to a w58 with the 2jzge bellhousing.
You will then use your existing box, mount, and tailshaft.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i ain't having aircon!!! but i do want P/S. I have decided that i don't want to do the wiring, or at least i will do as little as possible cause knowing me i will fuck it right up!! But my main concern is just getting hte engine bolted in, i will get a custom front sump made for around $300 to fit over the cross member. How hard is it to come across bell housing for a W58 from a mark 4 ? i will send it to the auto electrians to get the wiring done. as for intercooler piping it shouldn't b to much of a drama!! do u think even a noob like me would be capable of it ?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intercooler piping will all be done by and exhaust shop, unless you can weld/bend pipes.
Its just an extra cost.

Why get a custom sump when a front sump will work perfectly?
And $300 seems a bit cheap for a full custom sump, oil pickup, and baffle.

Engine will bolt in with Bonnyville Mounts.
PM BlackSupra to get him to organise you a pair (if you don't live in Sydney that is, I can't be fucked hitting the back button to see your location). The are $250 plus postage.

When you buy a motor, get one with everything you need.
If you want a manual, with a front sump, and factory ecu, then buy a halfcut, with a front sump, and a manual, and an uncut loom.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i read the front sump 1JZ are harder to come by.. is that so. Also could i get the W58 bell housing that i need with a 1JZ front cut or will that need to be aquired sperately. The manual box that could come with it, is that just for the housing or ditch the W58 and use that one, but then wat happens with the tail shaft... I live in hobart btw, and yer being a huge help i am just finding out wat i get myself into.. sounds pretty straight forward so far! keep it up tho mate
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, for some reason I was thinking you wanted a 2jzge.
Dunno where I got that from.

Yes, get a JZX81, JZX90 or similar front cut.,
You will need to get an auto one, as the manuals will be 1500+ more expensive. The manuals are also the R154, not the W58.
Wrong bellhousing, and probably wrong flywheel and clutch.

You can get a 2jzge manual bellhousing either new, or 2nd hand.
The do pop up every now and then.

Don't forget the extra costs of flywheel and pressure plate.

Front sumps are harder to come by, but they are around.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is y i said get a custom sump made up, i want to keep it manual, would it b possible to ditch the auto trans, and hook up the W58 i got with the new bell housing (JZA80) on it, and could i place a new fly and clutch on it, cause i want a manual not an Auto. Does that mean if i can use the W58, i can keep the same tailshaft ??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Custom sump is not neccesary, but if you can get it done for $300, then do it.

Just get any 1jz auto cut.
You can trick an ecu into think the auto is still there.
Plenty of ppl on here have done it, just search away.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow - you've had the car how many days and you're already planning on replacing the engine? Laughing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 13:32

wow - you've had the car how many days and you're already planning on replacing the engine? Laughing

He ph34rs teh powah of teh 5m3
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you're not going to use the auto, consider getting a Soarer engine package (with loom and ecu) and the front-mount sump seperately (Toyshop currently sell a front-sump "package" for $450). Or, buy the half-cut and flog-off all the bits you don't need to pay the difference.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Mon, 20 December 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Real men do their own wiring.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had the car for about 3 weeks, and the 5ME is not enough any more, its like any car tho, to start with u think its great then the fun dies out!! Well hydra although i am a man (looks between legs!) i am also a noob and have never done an engine swap so i am just asking questions that i am concerned about to see if i am thinking in the right direction. I feel that i can do it, do u guys think i will be able to do it ??
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you think you're up to the job, then go for it!

it's not rocket science, but a desire to learn (and ability to listen and remember) will go a long way.

i'd just suggest you:

do as much reading and research as you can before embarking on the project - make a mental and written road map of what bits to do, what order to do things in and what budget you can worrk within.

read up on other conversions not just your particular job

try to get a look under the bonnets of other converted cars.

help with other people's conversions.

finally, talk to the engineer before you start work or buying expensive engines.

cheers, charles!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was in the same position as you when I got my car. I paid someone to finish it off, like wiring, piping etc.

Later on I had to swap it out and back in again and it really wasn't that hard. With the number of ma61's with 1jz's going around it can't be too hard to get info.

I say go for it!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey chris wat swap did u do. How much do u know about all this stuff before u started ? but u all have wise words!!! I mainly want to find diaries or write up's on this engine swap cause i assume everyone has to do the same thing when they do it. But if there are heaps that have been done i spose it can't be all that impossible. How much did yer wiring end up costing u
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe Smile

Wiring probably isn't hard to do, you just need the mind to do it. And the patience. A lot of patience.

You learn a whole load more if you do it yourself, plus you spend less time dealing with workshops - almost always a headache.

I need to learn to weld.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are also ready made mounts for this conversion from bonneville automotive for 250 bucks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 18:31

hey chris wat swap did u do. How much do u know about all this stuff before u started ? but u all have wise words!!! I mainly want to find diaries or write up's on this engine swap cause i assume everyone has to do the same thing when they do it. But if there are heaps that have been done i spose it can't be all that impossible. How much did yer wiring end up costing u

I have a 1jz-gte in an 82 Corona. The swap I did was only old 1j for new 1j so the mounts and things were obviously already there. If you get these mounts that Jag says, then I would assume that it would be pretty easy. Don't quote me though as I don't have an ma61.

Before I bought my corona, all I knew was how to change oil and change coolant! That is just about it. No other hands on experience. Since then, it has been a steep learning curve. If I had the time originally, I would have done most of the finishing off stuff with my Dad but unfortunately I didn't.

I think it is www.norbie.net write up of 2jz into ma61 which is very similar. main difference is engine height that I know of.

don't ask about my dodgy wiring man! I can't remember where you are either but Sideshow does wiring for about $500 to $600 if I remember correctly.

good luck!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Tue, 21 December 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i would agree, changing oil and coolant is about my level of expertice, but i spose with these mounts it will save me heaps of work. BTW with these mounts do i replace the mounts on the engine block or the ones in the car or how do they work ?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Wed, 22 December 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd assume you would be able to tell by looking at the mounts as to what part they replace.
Don't stress about it it's a simple logical thing the main thing u have to worry about is equipment.
I've done/had a part in at least 5 engine conversions.
I know fuck all about wiring but i know a retired auto sparkie who will hook u up cheap.
Just remember if u go to do something and it doesn't work.
Look closly and identify the problem.
Sit down and think about solutions then go ahead with what you feel is the best option.
if i doesn't work then try something else.
and if all else fails ASK SOMEBODY u got lots of smart educated people to ask here.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Engine Swap worries!!! Fri, 24 December 2004 10:07 Go to previous message
well as long as u give me a hand mate things will b slightly easier!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my photochopped pics
Next Topic:MA61 Fans
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 1 07:20:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079281330108643 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.