Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » front intercooler for 3TGTEU?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
physh
Regular

May 2002
front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Wed, 16 October 2002 08:24 Go to next message
Does anyone know how much trouble it is to modify the plenum on a stock 3TGTEU manifold to allow me to put a front mounted intercooler on?

currently the intake is on the side facing the engine, i need it to face forwards...

cheers

-nick
  Send a private message to this user    
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Wed, 16 October 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know about modifying the plenum, but have you considered a top mount water to air, with pumps etc someone has thrown away from their Subaru? If you haven't changed to an aftermarket computer and got rid of the fat arsed distributor you could have trouble getting the pipe work around it.
If you are going to modify the standard plenum anyway maybe consider replacing it with a larger one. Should be able to unbolt the top of the factory manifold and then cut the plenum off and remake it to suit, maybe use the article by Rod in tech articles. Obviously if you are going to a front mount you are looking for more power so you may as well go the whole hog.

Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Wed, 16 October 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nick. It's pretty easy to set up a front-mount. You can use an intercooler with the inlet and outlet on the same side, that's how i have mine at the moment, but it means you have to run the outlet pipe over the exhaust manifold and it can get pretty hot. I'm just about to get a new cooler (still looking) with outlet and inlet on opposite sides and then you curve the pipe around near the distributor to enter across the engine, but you can keep it a fair way away from the exhaust. I've seen it done before with this engine on a ta22 (don't think he was running the distributor though (it was on an ems computer). Otherwise you can modify the plenum, the fuel comp. you've got may allow you to modify the throttle body etc. without messing things up too much (you just adapt the computer to the new settings), a few people have done this by using the bottom half of the plenum (the runners) and making up a new plenum to attach to it with the throttle body facing forward. If you do a search of the sale section Phil (te72_ turbo) had one for sale that he put together and there were a few pictures there, not sure if they'll still work though, if not just ask him and he should be able to post them up again. Chris.
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Wed, 16 October 2002 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you redo the plenum to face forward with the stock distributor, you're prolly gonna hit it =/

about the IC pipe going over the exhaust manifold. ..why not just wrap it.
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Wed, 16 October 2002 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am looking at doing the same thing at the moment.

i am running the stock ecu and standard turbo @ 14psi.

I will be using an intercooler with intake on one side and output on the other.

the pipe coming off the turbo will face the front of the car and go through the "new hole in the radiator support pannel.

there will be a 90deg bend off the plenum going past the phat ass distributor bending down and going to the intercooler half way down the radiator through the "new" hole...

There are some difficult bends here and there will be increased lag due to the longer piping.

What turbo are you guys running??

the standard dosent seem to produce as much boost as i would like. it dosent seem to do anything under 3500rpm.

any ideas on what would be a better option.

i would like boost from 2000-2500 rpm and i may run up to 16-18 psi...

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Thu, 17 October 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think you'll find it any more laggy, think about how long it takes 14psi worth of air into 1.8L motor to fill even 2 metres of extra pipework = two tenths of fu(k all....

The stock CT20 is a pretty agricultural turbo. tiny compressor wheel, fairly large exhaust wheel, old design. The 3TGTE was pretty much toyota's first attempt at a production petrol turbo motor.

A CT26 from a 7MGTE supra will spool up just as quickly, but with heaps more punch, and wont run out of puff at high revs, while also producing less heat than a CT20.

If you want boost at 2000-2500rpm, youll need something way too tiny, or ball bearing. A cost effective option would be a ball bearing nissan RB20 turbo, good for 160kw at the wheels on 14psi, but you cant run your 18 psi cause of its ceramic turbine.

lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Thu, 17 October 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would the stock distributor have anything to do with how soon the turbo spools up also?
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Thu, 17 October 2002 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone here put a ct26 on a 3tgte?

a few questions....

are they oil or water cooled

do they fit on the same manifold as the ct20

how much should i expect to pay for one?

cheers...
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Fri, 18 October 2002 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am waiting for my ct26 to come back from a rebuild, but as far as i know. .the ct26 will bolt up to the 3tgte manifold if you slot the holes in the ct26, but you'll have to redo the oil lines since the turbo will sit a little lower. TE72_Turbo
has done this mod and knows more on it than I do. I hope to have mine working by end of next week or so.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: front intercooler for 3TGTEU? Fri, 18 October 2002 09:17 Go to previous message
celikar:

all turbos are oil cooled, they need the oil to lubricate & cool the bearings. Most modern turbos also have a separate jacket within the core that flows water to further cool the bearings, prolonging the life of the turbo.

Supra CT26's are all oil & water cooled, and can be fitted to the 3TGTEU manifold fairly easily by slotting the mounting holes in the exhaust housing flange as mentioned by Ivn-ra65c. You will also need to fabricate a new dump pipe, water & oil lines.

These turbos are getting a bit thin on the ground, importers/wreckers usually want around $400 for one, but your most likely source is by posting for one in the "parts wanted" section of this forum.

Cheers

Phil
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tape for wiring looms
Next Topic:Jza70 Warning Light (brake?)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 11:48:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062000751495361 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.