I supported Toymods

April 2004

Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 00:45 Go to next message

Do you Carry a Wheel brace & jack with your spare tyre?[ 46 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 36 / 78%
2.No 10 / 22%
3.Have no idea, i'll have to check. 0 / 0%

Well what fun,

You got to have a spare tyre to pass rego. We all know that or at least i hope. Smile
But how many carry a brace with a jack along with it? Serousily! lol.
Whats the point of even having a spare without a brace or jack?

I've set up a poll as the results should be interesting.

The reason i did this as i was stuck in this situation at 3 in the morning out in Orange. Belive me it was fun in the bush Razz

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 08:45

You got to have a spare tyre to pass rego. We all know that or at least i hope. Smile

When I rang up an inquired about this, I was told I didn't have to run with a spare tyre.
I needed the space in my boot to put my battery, so the spare tyre was gotten rid of.

I was told that they didn't care if I ran one or not, and that it would be silly not to have one, and would be my problem if it went flat.
But from the DPI's point of view, there was not a problem with it.

I haven't gone over the pits yet, but I am going on his word.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The confirmed this with me. About the same time they told me I can't run a space saver wheel...dickhead.

That said, that rule could be just a WA thing.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to get Qld Safety Certificate (e.g. go over pits, regencey, et al) you need the spare wheel and associated jack/wheel brace that the car would have come with.

having said that, most spare tyres are pooly looked after, often flat and not much safer that fitting a space-saver to an R3x and letting a P-plater drive it home.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that you are not allowed to have a bald or unroadworthy spare tyre. But if you were to chuck that unroadworthy spare away and not carry it in the car then it is fine.

Bottom line: You don't HAVE to carry a spare. BUT if you do, it must be in roadworthy condition.

^^^That's as I understand it... I haven't double checked this.
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but whats the point of having a spare if you have no brace to change it over?

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I voted no but I don't think I really need a jack and wheel brace to use my spare in a can.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought that most cars just had a jack in the boot anyway, from factory? or did the previous owner buy a jack and put it in the jack holder in my boot?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I took the spare out I'd loose my near 50/50 weight ratio, the spare helps the MR2 handle the way it does Smile
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 23 December 2004 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spare tyre can be in any condition forrego i used to compliain about rooted spares for rego and they said it doesnt matter ut now i dot work there anymore
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Fri, 24 December 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a spare but no jack. I'd just pulled the last chassis stand out from under my Soarer and the fucking thing collapsed on me! Shocked

I haven't had the forsight to go and replace it yet.

BTW, I have had to convert my rego from Qld to NT and it went over the pits. They said nothing about a spare or jack and didn't even look in my boot. They were probably too busy trying to figure out where the engine # was! Confused

It was the first Soarer they'd seen! Shocked Laughing Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 24 December 2004 01:17]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Fri, 24 December 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Just tell them that you're running "run flat" tyres and you don't need a spare. There's a few cars around now (MG, Lotus and BMW I think?) that come with these tyres and therefore they don't have a spare or jack or any of that stuff.

However, as stated, if you do have a spare it must be in roadworthy condition.

seeyuzz
river
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Fri, 24 December 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know the new mini's don't have spares, i think they have a run flat system, i read an article in the adelaide advertiser earlier this year where they said while it was not illegal to have a space saver as a spare it's technically illegal to drive your car with one on.... i reckon it's just another avenue for the cops to defect you if they don't like you.

Drew.
shoot
Regular

April 2004
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Fri, 24 December 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errr you dont need a spare for a RWC
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Mon, 27 December 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 10:12

I voted no but I don't think I really need a jack and wheel brace to use my spare in a can.

I voted yes, but I have a jack and wheel brace, but no spare.
And my spare in a can has been sitting in the garage for 6months, next to my spare tyre Confused Confused Confused
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Wed, 29 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a jack and space saver tyre in my boot, althought the space saver doesnt fit my stud pattern. its just there so the cops dont hassle me.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Wed, 29 December 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few cars comming out now that don't even have a space saver spare, so i can see how you would need one to pass RWC, the Daihatsu Cophen is one such car.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Wed, 29 December 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got pulled up in the mr2 with no spare tyre. "why don't you have a spare". "doin some repairs under bonnet and havn't put it back in yet". Cop was cool with that. If you have a spare it must be secure.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 30 December 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently in Victoria, you don't need to have a spare. If you do you have to have it road worthy (ie tread). A mate in his car got caught up by a defecting type of officer near Mt. Buller. The officer asked to see his spare, his spare was bald... My friend asked how much is it for a fine for littering? It was something like $15 so he unsecured the wheel from the boot and threw it... he got fined for littering Laughing

As for me... Since my MA61 has an original spare tyre from the factory, I'll call my brother in his SA63 for use of his spare tyre Very Happy

Cheers.
gorgan
Regular

November 2004
Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 13 January 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha man, i got rid of my spare tire and everything in the back of my car (less weight, better drifts)
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Rego - Spare Tyre Thu, 13 January 2005 14:19 Go to previous message
ZZT231 wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 22:21

My friend asked how much is it for a fine for littering? It was something like $15 so he unsecured the wheel from the boot and threw it... he got fined for littering Laughing

Cheers.

Thats gold!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where do all the interior parts go.
Next Topic:SA Bush Fires
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:27:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060679912567139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.