Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
icon9.gif  Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 00:22 Go to next message
When I start up my car in the morning, it makes this rattling/tapping noise consistant with the engine revs and piston movments.., it only lasts about a second, my oil light sometimes flickers... could it be that I'm using oil thats to thin? I use mobil 1 5w-50 and my engine is a 3rd gen 4agze with 115 on the clock..

It seems that if I let my car idle down when I get home (I do it most of the time) it doesn't do it when I next start her up... Any ideas??

-Andrew
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked the oil level?
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forged pistons are noisey on initial start up
shouldnt be your oil type ,ive used mobil 1 in my 4age for years with no probs
either way i wouldnt be too worried about it

Cam
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you start it up there won't be oil in the top of the engine. It'll take a couple of seconds to pump it up. If you're worried about it you maybe you could fit an electric oil pump, so that it pumps a bit of oil up before you start the engine. But it's probably nothing to worry about.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably just worn bearings, they rattle a bit when the oil pressure is low. My old 6M used to do this.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come round and take a listen to my 4k in the morning sometime Laughing
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it be some "valve train noise"? Maybe your engine's got more than 115 kkm on the clock, or it may have been trashed? Usually happens with near worn engine, seen it happen to a CA18 with 250 kkm on the clock, the noise was gone for a few months after using those "lubricating engine treatment", there teflon & non-teflon types, then it starts to come back, most likely happen on cold start ups.. Could try some Castrol Magnetics or something.. Wink
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Thu, 17 October 2002 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try magnatex oil - that castrol stuff - that will quieten down the top end on startup.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Fri, 18 October 2002 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car does it whenever it's been sitting for a while. I just put it down to the oil running to the bottom of the engine. After a few seconds it's fine. I can tell when I'm getting low on oil because it takes longer to be quiet
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Weird rattling/tapping noise on start-up Fri, 18 October 2002 06:10 Go to previous message
Yeah, I think it does have a bit more on the clock, the dash said 90005 when I bought it but yea, she has the ability to blow a bit of black smoke when I'm giving it to her... oh well, at the end of the year I'm getting rings/head and stuff done anyway...

It does eat about 1/6 of the oil every 5000k's, I drive it fairly hard, but not excessively (lack of points Wink), I'll just leave it till it brakes then I'll definately know what the problem is Laughing ... uni is my main priority at the moment, stupid finals.. Mad

Thanks peeps for the advice Smile

-Andrew

(typo)

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2002 06:14]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mr2 3sge dual vvti PLEASE HELP!!
Next Topic:Low Idle, Pause, and Stalling Help?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 22 02:39:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045099258422852 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.