Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 11:39 Go to next message
Hey,
Im not as technically advanced or experienced when it comes to engine internals especially in an engine which is almost completely new to me apart from what ive read and seen of with twin-Solexed RG's. But i was wondering what the bare ground work i should get done to it if i do, because a full tuff-spec rebuild is going to cost me about 5 times what the engine has! And i still need many other things.. jees dont remind me..
What is most unreliable in 18rgeu's that would be the right way to spend a tight budget if i was to get it opened up and freshened? Or what is best value for money or the smartest thing to do?(apart from save for a LONG time for the dream build)
Given that the engine has apparently done about 45,000kms since last recon/rebuild(?), i really dont want to put an engine in that i may have to just remove again when bearings seize or gaskets blow.. so im thinking of things like rings, gaskets, timing gear, valves?
These days will it cost me a fortune to have an 18Rgeu recon'd? Are parts Difficult for good shops to get and do they have to be imported?
Thanks a heap,
Also if anyone know any good workshops for Rseries import motors in Adelaide gimme a holler Smile Already talked to the guy at Sleeka Spares, he was chilled, and if theres nowhere else it might end up there..

Cheers again,

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, R-series engines are bullet-proof - 45,000 is nothing! It's not uncommon for these things to do well over 200,000 between rebuilds. If the engine doesn't have any problems, don't bother opening it up.
  Send a private message to this user    
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did Sleeka Spares quote you for a stock rebuild?? just interested as dave gave me a quote to do my 2TG for a couple of grand, and it would probably be a lot more for an 18RG. Its not worth it until something goes bang inside it, and thats usually after its been thrashed into the redline a few times.
BTW just a note, there was an 18RGEU in the paper here a few weeks back, complete for $850.
rob
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What makes you think an 18R-G would be a lot more? Remember the bottom end is the same as an 18R-C, and there are billions of them still running so parts aren't going to be hard to get or expensive. The cylinder head is really the only "exotic" bit, but they don't require that much attention anyway (DOHC is very simple!), the only relatively difficult part is the cam chains and they're easy enough to get if you know where to go.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks alot Norbie and Inferno, yeah im glad im getting another 18R so at least it has some adaptable stuff and ill have a few spares from the Rc(not that id wana put my bottom end together with the rgeu pistons and head..i dont think) like altinator and other gear. Anyone know how much a set of new timing gear and those tensioners would cost? maybe even new valves and head recon? Also how hard is it to wire up and tune the stock computer and sensors? I have never come across a 20 year old ecu before... Hmm.
Norbie just now i come to remember it..can i ask u another few questions? With your ra23 how did you get sort out the throttle linkage to the right hand plenum/inlet side of your 18RG? i spose it would be the same deal whether twin solex or EFI as theyre both opposite side to 18Rc head inlet. Did you use a cable system or re-route the bar throttle link thing? Ive been seeing a little of these throttle cables lately as my friend snapped his on his 13b 1973 Capella and was lucky to get one of three rx2 aftermarket cables left in australia the guy at AFR said. I think things like this may end up being the most hassle unless my mechanic has a bright idea (so im hoping..) and we can use a cable or something.. Maybe even something off a corona or similar efi toyota would this be feasable? is cable best? Also what sort of coil for ignition did u use? And are u using a different clutch master cylinder? is the RG clutch setup the same?
Thanks if u have any answers or if anyone has any more input...I didnt get an exact qoute from sleeka spares as he said it would more or less come down to what wants replacing/machining, so i was like oh ok. thats logical. so more or less i need lots of cash to make the engine 100% bulletproof but i was told it runs ok so maybe it will last a while, till then id rather spend the money on the other essentials, the engine needs: new clutch & new extractors/headers which is about $500-600, recore my radiator, then money for my mechanic to fit and sort shit out, then bigger brakes if i need them for engineers cert. Then Away she goes! Very Happy
Anyway its all part of a project car thats why i love it,
Thanks again for the help.

Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Thu, 17 October 2002 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soon also i will get rid of this series 6 in the side thing, now my old lady is back from overseas with the digi camera.. The only reason being that i feel a bit wairy inside a toyota forum with a mazda picture, but weve all gotta dream and my other dream car is sitting perched not far away saef undercover waiting for me to be 100% strong in the leg so i can drive her again..

peace
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock ECU is a piece of piss to wire up (compared to modern ECU's) because it's so damn simple! I actually got it running without the benefit of a factory loom, all I had was a badly photocopied wiring schematic for a 6-cylinder 4M-E but I still figured it out. Smile

As for tuning, all you do is whack it on a chassis dyno and adjust the spring pressure in the airflow meter. You can't do anything with the ECU itself because it's not actually a computer, it's 100% analog. These old injections systems really are akin to electronic carbies. Old school baby!

I'm using a cable for the throttle, you can't really use the mechanical linkage with EFI because the throttle arrangement is completely different. It's not hard to do though... I forget which cable I ended up using but from memory I just hunted around for one that looked about right and adapted it to fit.

I'm using a coil and ignitor from a 22R-E Corona, it has the same ignition setup as the 18R-GEU so it plugged right in. The clutch setup is the same as the 18R-C, I'm using a stock Celica clutch unfortunately which really isn't adequate (it slips), so I'd recommend getting an upgraded clutch.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2002 01:05]

blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again for the help,
You mention cam chains being difficult to get hold of, where would be the best places to hunt for em? are they unique to this engine.. if so do you think they'd have to be imported?
all advice is much appreciated Wink

thanks
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got 4 18R's at home and all of them have a problem with the timing chain (Is that the cam chain?) I think my dad went to a toyota parts dealer to get them, not a toyota dealership because they don't have anything really earlier than 85. As this is a normal thing that goes wrong with them they are fairly easy to pick up. I also heard that the head cracking isn't that un common. I did mine the other weekend.

But I think if they are looked after then you shouldn't have any problems. Mine is only an 18R-C and the head is the only thing that's gone wrong with the engine appart from the timing chains stretching.

One car I recently bought had the engine rebuilt for about $800 so I imagine yours would be a lot more than that. But if it doesn't make weird noises or puts out a lot of smoke then I'd leave it alone.

Smile
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you know thats the thing.. i have no idea how this engine has been treated and exactly how long since it was built up. It is an 18Rgeu and werent released in australia ever i think. Except if you got a celica or something imported in the early 80's and complianced but i doubt many people would have done that?? although it would have been sick Very Happy ..
I have an 18Rc in my ra28 and it was not looked after at all by its previous owner, but since ive had it ive maintained it fairly well and nothing has ever gone wrong with it and its ever-reliable. hell its even been ran with next to no oil in the sump for a day or two and it still runs perfect. I love 18rc and i reckon theyd be a sick motor for a little buggy or go kart or something.. hmmm. anyway, yeah if they were the same as an Rc chain and parts it would not be a problem but its not a common head (yamaha 8valve dohc).
Seeing ill have the engine out for a while it may be a fair bit less labour at least if i cannot fit them, just need to find em.
How about TRD? anyone think they or any other generic companies make timing/cam gear for an 18RGeu?
thanks

Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll find all the 18R-G parts you need (including timing chain) right here:

http://enginepartsaustralia.com.au/catalogue.asp
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Fri, 18 October 2002 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good site norbie!
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Essential rebuild work for 2ndHand motor??->18R-geu Sat, 19 October 2002 07:03 Go to previous message
Yeah cheers Norbie, your a legend mate

Previous Topic:Will 4age secondaries fit 20v primaries
Next Topic:Seats
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 03:49:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065078735351562 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.