Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 01:56 Go to next message
How much should a car be lowered (I don't want to lose heaps of comfort but I'd like it to handle well and also look better), how much would you guys like to lower your cars?

I was thinking say 40mm (should I lower one end more than the other? or the same?). Would lowering this much give me a camber issue that I wouldn't be able to fix without an aftermarket solution?

What brand of shocks does everyone like (and why). Should I get adjustables? With that degree of lowering will I have to worry about getting shorter stroke shocks as well?

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i say dump it on king springs superlow 3" all round with kyb shockies or kmac/konis. you might need some need rods or arms cos of the difference, maybe a set of swaybars and new bushings and youve got handling and amazingly low car. Only problem is speedhumps and driveway dips = headf**k, and sacrifice of some comfort. Oh and you'll probably guard out a fair bit..
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without making changes to the geometry of your suspension then lowering it too much will not make your car handle any better.

The factory is not stupid nad they generally design the suspension to work correctly at the height they set the car. Hence after lowering you will possibly need to put in some RCAs up front nad if you keep going lower you will need to change the mounting points on the rear end.

However if you don't really car about having a nice low car that handles like crap then just lower it with something like the king springs.

I use Koni adjustables myself, but they were not intended for a compromising ride.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not going to go crazy on the lowering (no way am I going to do 3" lol), I have to get custom springs so I can choose how much I want to lower it (hence me asking!).

I'm not willing to sacrifice having a low car for crap handling. Also I want to avoid guard out for sure.

I didn't think that 40mm was that over the top? And with better shocks was under the impression this wouldn't stuff the geometry up too much? Any extra help would be great, still a bit new to the suspension scene!

Cheers
Wilbo

5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I wish to drop by and underline what 'Youngy' here has said. All true and valid points.
Not too many enthusiasts bother to buy supension books, or very actively seek the info in the net. It's all there.

If we take an old rwd Toyota, and wish to lower it like 50mm's. We have to do a lot of labour to get it right. All kindsa pickup points need to be altered. As a rule of thumb - factory original control/trailing arm attitudes have to be restored - period.

I'd suggest maybe only like 20mm lowering with stiffer suspension components. Car may look stupid, but it'll drive great.

-A.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Setup Fri, 18 October 2002 22:51 Go to previous message
Yeah I've been looking into it further and there is a lot more to it than I first thought. (Adjustable panhard rod, adjustable rear links, and then fixing the camber problem at the front...)

Think I might just get some swaybars for the time being until I can afford to do a proper job on the lowering.

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT104 mods
Next Topic:Idling Help 4 AGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 22:20:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078530311584473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.