Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 03:20 Go to next message
what's best to use. i'd like to avoid using that tacky looking glossy cheap PVC tape if i can. and also is it a good idea to use split loom, and then tape over the top?

what have others used???
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heat shrink tape.....wrap it around the wires like PVC tape then get freaky on it with a hair dryer. Comes up with a nice matt finish.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet, but isn't that stuff expensive?? i know Jaycar seel it, but i don't want to spend too much. i plan to do a lot of tidying up in my engine bay, so will cover a great deal of wire.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just use corrigated split flex{conduit} then you can use all diffrent sizes to suit the cable bunch, comes in different colours. on the race cars for motec and the like we use a black sheath thats not heat shrink, easy to use if you know how, and looks better than any factory harness.
mick
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick... that black sheath, is that like tubing that you assemble the loom within??? if so i guess it'd be no good for my application...

if it comes down to using some form of electrical tape, can anyone reccommend a particular product that looks good and lasts well?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just use a good quality (more expensive) electrical tape, 3M or a brand like that. Go to jaycar or somewhere like that.
The cheap stuff is a nightmare if you ever need to do any wiring changes later on, the glue goes all shitty & gooey, & just shits you to tears.
Make sure you give it a good stratch as you wrap it, do it tight.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On that subject, I'm wiring the Crssida at the moment. Question is, when I come to the "cosmeticising"(sic) of the wiring, I plan to make it look VERY OEM. Which means wrapping as much of the wiring into "single" looms as possible.
Can anyone tell me what EMI/cross-talk issues there are with electrical wiring in a car (such as with the wiring included with an Autronic ECU, for example!)

What can I get away with when I embark on what is, at the end of the day, my real strength when it comes to doing this stuff...(that is, concealing things, and making them look OEM fitment)
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: tape for wiring looms Fri, 18 October 2002 10:25 Go to previous message
Nitto (good brand) black electrical tape is now a matt finish instead of the normal gloss. Quite cool.
I picked up a roll from Roccabros (Marlows).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE101 Front Cut
Next Topic:front intercooler for 3TGTEU?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 09:39:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069570541381836 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.