Toymods » Members Rides » DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
doityourself
Regular

July 2004
DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Sat, 01 January 2005 01:01 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

Just thought that I would inform you all that I now have another toyota.
The body is good, already found the oil leak ( oil pressure switch broken), and fixed the passenger door hinge.
The interior is brown, brown carpet, brown door trims, and brown vinyl seats. OUCHHH.

List of mods to come.
- Lower suspension 1.5 inches
- New shocks
- New bushes most likely nolathanes
- Take out trolley dents
- Sports seats
- Replace motor with 5K
- Trick up auto trans
- Replace auto diff center for manual center
- Replace 2 core rad with 4 core.
- Replace eng fan with const. running electric fans.
- Sway bars, front and rear

Thats all I can think of for now. I am open suggestions.

Dale J.
  Send a private message to this user    
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Thu, 13 January 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
needs pics mate Smile

the auto in these is either a toyoglide (bad) or a trimatic (not as bad) - the latter is the same as in six cyl holdens, just with a different stally. however, you'd probably get it a bit quicker and fun to drive by converting to manual (not to mention a fuckload cheaper) but whatever floats your boat

autos usually have a taller diff ratio, this is good

leave your engine fan and shroud on, it'll cool better. you'll need custom tanks to go 4 core, but you can jam 3 cores into the stock radiator

decide what you want to do with your car before you start playing with swaybars and the like, corollas are fairly well balanced as far as oversteer/understeer goes (enough that you can control it anyway) and if you want to do twisty driving (hillclimbs, motorkhanas, etc) you'll be better with stock front and no rear swaybar. if you just want to drive it on the street, leave it
doityourself
Regular

July 2004
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Sat, 15 January 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm. Should have been more specific on details and yes pics on the way.

Current setup
Motor - 4K
Trans - Trimatic
Diff - 4.3 Borg Warner
Suspension - Stock and feels a tiny bit spongey on the front
Sterio - crappy radio cassette in stock position and one speaker.

Super Jamie, I have already been to a few trans shops in SA' southern area, I can get the thing tricked for $400 - $500. Apparently the rolla stall converter already is fairly high, so that does not need to be touch.

First job is to replace brake pads front and rear. Also looking at puting T18 stock rims on as they are 13*5 with some 185/60's as apposed to KE30 and TA22 which are 13*4.5.
punka85
Regular

May 2003
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Sun, 16 January 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dale, good to see the ke35 is getting some of the treatment it deserves.

i hope you got it rego'd ok and there wasnt to many secrets hiding under it...and that oil leak finally got fixed!! hehe

some old pictures of the car when i had it can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/punkrolla

i look forward to seeing the progress, and im glad to see its gone to a real enthusiast

keep it up mate.
Aj.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 08:49]

doityourself
Regular

July 2004
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Sun, 30 January 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, just a small update.
As punka85 said there are pics at http://www.pbase.com/punkrolla
Things that have happened;

- Replace brake pads front and rear. Hmmm, the front were down about 3/4 but the rear were non existant. Will be replacing front rotors and rear drums

- T18 rims do have the same off set as the KE35 but the T18 4 spoke stocks do not accomadate for the PBR brake calipers on the front.
This problem was fixed by trading them for some datsun deep dish rims 13*5.5. Car currently is rolling on 185/65R13 but monday after work the rolla will be on 185/60R13.
I am suprised that the handling of the car has greatly improved with the wider rims and tyres.

I'll try to keep the updates going.
Have fun,
Regards Dale

OldSchoolRolla
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Mon, 31 January 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
God to c someone else has an oldschool ke3x.........im looking into supercharging Wink i also have 4k motor n 5 speed box....My car use to b a 2 speed auto.....wat diff gears would i have as the diff is still stock?
doityourself
Regular

July 2004
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Sat, 19 February 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldSchoolRolla you have a PM

UPDATE

Got the rust on the left rear wheel arch repaired, It was the a good job.
Got an Eclipse CD player on layby, will be picking up next week but it won't go in until I get security locks as a minimum.

I need to replace th the seal that fits to the rear wind up window that seals to the door window. Toyota still make them, they cost $35 a side. Still haven't done the brakes. I might bit the bullet and go T18 brake upgrade on the front and replace the back drums with non scored ones. Plus the drum cylinders need replaceing soon one looks like it is starting to weep around the seal.

Any got to fly, will try to get new pics here

Regards Dale
doityourself
Regular

July 2004
Re: DIY's New Ride: Toyota Corolla KE35 Wed, 09 March 2005 08:59 Go to previous message
One thing that you shouldn't do is to think that you can beat the yellow light in heavy morning traffic, especially when you are driving my car. I tried and accidently ran a red light, as it so happened there was a police car at the lights ready to turn at the same time. Hence I got busted. In SA such a criminal act ( as the officer said) cost me 3 DERMERIT points and $254 ( and only 2 days before payday BUGGER!!!). I then found time to flush mount the PS2 into a small entertainment cupboard and it didn't cost a cent.

Anyhow with this behind me, a few weeks before that I decided that the rolla was going to need a new parcel shelf for when the CD player goes in. I have made a shelf that is 55mm higher the the old one, and still below the height of the rear seat.

Ball joints and rear shocks are the next to be replaced. They should be happening in the next two weeks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My new ride
Next Topic:Finally DOHC's AE82 TWINKY!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 03:29:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040690898895264 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.