Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Will_AW11
Regular

August 2002

AW11 Tyre suggestions Sat, 19 October 2002 01:14 Go to next message
I've got a stock AW11 MR2 with the 185/60R14 tyres on it (F: Pirelli P4000 R: Dunlop SP Sport D87). I love the handling in the dry and I find it much more predictable than the mid engine reputation suggests. ie. the rear does let go quite suddenly, but it doesn't swing around as fast as my AE86 did. But in the wet its a totally different story and I have to tip toe around as it grips fine around most corners, but occasionally it will let go big time at very slow speeds making me think twice about every corner when its wet. Also when I lose the rear end in the wet, even though I've applied about the right amount of opposite lock, it takes a long time before the rear re-gains grip while the rear end kind of slides, but 'shudders' along scrubbing off speed since everything is very sideways, but also happening at quite low speeds (thankfully).

Can most of these nasty wet handling traits be helped with a decent set of tyres? or should I be looking at different alignment? or do I just have to live with it?

I'm thinking at starting with different alignment settings as its cheap, but then getting some decent tyres. Can any AW11 owners out share any experiences with tyres? Should I go to 15", or stay with 14" and go to 195 width tyres? I want to keep to a budget of $150 a tyre. I quite liked the Falken Ziex 502's for a budget tyre.
  Send a private message to this user    
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Tyre suggestions Sat, 19 October 2002 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kumho ECSTA 712s
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 Tyre suggestions Sat, 19 October 2002 11:14 Go to previous message
Freak yep kumho ecsta's are good....i've used the 711 model..205x50x15's..had no probs...i havnt had the chance to use the 712's, when i had them ordered to be put on, the tyre place could only get one...so i got these michellin xf sport (i think they're called) (they had to give em to me for the same price as the kumho's hehe)...they are a bloody good tyre as well, but a bit more expensive than the kumho's....

i also have a prity wild camber on the rear end, help's to make it stick around corners /\.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quick/short shift kit for W58???
Next Topic:ra23 master cylinder replacement/upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 15:47:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056700706481934 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.