Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
74gt
Regular

October 2004
TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 08 January 2005 02:26 Go to next message
I know that Toyota brought 6/7 genuine TA22 GTs in Australia in 1974 or around then. I was just wondering of the 6/7, is the tubbed blue one with a 13b the only survivor or are the other 5/6 still out there?
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 08 January 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Should be a red one around somewhere, unless it's been written off or sent overseas. Last I saw it, it was for sale 22 years ago and it looked really, really nice. It had no actual owner - it was imported by AMI in late 1973 for GT evaluation. It had less than 10,000k on the clock. It was put in storage for a few years and sold, along with an RA25 GT2000 and a 1973 deep-green Corolla Levine coupe.

Dunno what happened to the Levine either. However, the RA25 is still alive and very roadworthy.

seeyuzz
river
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 08 January 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1973 deep-green Corolla Levine coupe

*swoooon*

id love to get my mits on that!!
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 08 January 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it would be good to have some sort of list of all GT spec Toyotas brought in for evaluation, the Celicas, the Levins, the RT GT Coronas and the RX22 and RT76 Mark 2 GSS's. Have I missed any?

I reckon AMI Toyota "evaluated" these cars basically so that the local executive could drive around in the decent models whilst selling dustbins to the OZ public. After all these cars would not have been bad by the standards of the day, and yet despite "evaluation" not one was ever approved for final sale. Mad

I know of the whereabouts of a RX22 undergoing the world's longest restoration - that's my small contribution Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 08 January 2005 11:13]

74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 13 January 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there is the GT4 celica survivor list so me thinks it would be good to see one for GT Toyotas brought to Oz as shovelnose suggested.

So far we have 1 TA22 GT (blue, tubbed, rotary one) and River's RA25. Any others people can confirm the whereabouts of?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 13 January 2005 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well, me thinks the "tubbed/rotar" TA22 GT is a GT only due to it's former status. Personally, I think it's a crying shame to do that to such a great and rare car, and it would be nigh impossible to get it back to its former glory. It can be classified as a GT in name only now.

River's RA25 however, is still (except for the wheels) in it's original JDM GT glory. Original engine, dash, seats, shocks, springs, trannie, diff, fender mirrors (they're sooooo cool) and colour.

The GT's were evaluated in early 1974 and, due to their performance and lack of intrusion bars, it was deemed that they would be in a high insurance category and therefore not imported, even though some car yards (like Stewart Toyota and Bill Buckle Toyota) reckoned they could of moved 50 or more per month without a problem.

I beleive there's an original near mint TA22 GT in Western Oz. I think it's the one that Rod nearly bought some years ago. I think this car is still going strong also. I'll check this out and let you know.

Also, there was that RA28 GTV (or was it an RA29 or RA35?) that was in Canberra and was sold a few months ago. I dunno if it is still in OZ or if it was sent o/seas.

seeyuzz
river
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 13 January 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's Steve's Old RA35 GTV. Not 100% sure what has happened to it but it was up for sale and is possible it was sold to the U.S.
I would like conformation on this however.

I know of one RA28 GT (JDM) in the early stages of rebuild and I have heard tell of another in WA but they may be the same car.
There was an RA28 that was wrecked years ago in sydney (now in Celica Heaven)

I know of at least 1 other RA25 GT (sorry river you're not the only one) and I have seen a nice TA27/RA25 in Sydney but unsure of the level or spec.

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The GT's were evaluated in early 1974 and, due to their performance and lack of intrusion bars, it was deemed that they would be in a high insurance category and therefore not imported, even though some car yards (like Stewart Toyota and Bill Buckle Toyota) reckoned they could of moved 50 or more per month without a problem.

Was Toyota Oz stupid then (as they definitely are now)? So what if insurance is high? Potential buyers of a GT model would understand that this would be a necessary evil. It goes with the territory. Alfa 105 GT and Fiat 124 Sport insurance would have similarly been "high", and they would have been the main competitors to a GT Celica, and yet that didn't stop many of those cars sold here. The Celica GT would have been much better built but we won't go into that here. Laughing High insurance hasn't harmed WRX sales and the like today.

Toyota OZ would not have lost out -they like other markets could sell the LT (or even ST models) if we are talking about Celicas to the masses and offered the GT as a premium model for those that were interested. Intrusion bars - all they had to do was to ask the factory to install them on Oz bound Celias, just like they would have done (?) on the thousands of LT's imported here.

These two excuses - if they are true, are so lame. Was Economos' father the boss back then? Might as well have been. Mad I think they basically could not be bothered and/or realised that that would have made (hypothetically) $980 margin on each GT as oppossed to $1,000 on a LT. Every last cent counts in the Toyota family.

Back to the survival list, there was a RT76 GSS Mark 2 for sale in Melbourne a few years ago in a car yard, and apparently some purists checked it out but did not buy it because it now had a 18RG instead of a 10R! If the rest of the car was good, it would not have stopped me....

I also read somewhere that there was a another GSS of the same model in South Australia.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 01:30]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 23:46

Well there is the GT4 celica survivor list so me thinks it would be good to see one for GT Toyotas brought to Oz as shovelnose suggested.

So far we have 1 TA22 GT (blue, tubbed, rotary one) and River's RA25. Any others people can confirm the whereabouts of?

Where would this list be?
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of an Orange TA22 GT in Canberra, when i saw it (about 1 year ago) it had roof racks, and an old bloke mid-late 50's was just rolling around in it,.. very neat, but obviously untouched since new (it even had bumper stickers on it Sad )

I am 99.999% sure it is a legitimate original GT,.. very standard
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 12:47

Where would this list be?

If you search through the Toymods general discussion, there is a thread + a link to a new website someone made for the Aus GT4 Rallye or however you spell it.

A legit GT in Canberra ai? hmmm interesting!

The RA35 GTV went to Tassie I think Mitch or Phil (forget which one) said. Anyway the RA35 was a private import...wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was.

It seems that there were less than 10/12 GT Toyota models imported in Oz by Toyota themselves...so they shouldn't bee too hard to track down.

Quote:

Well, me thinks the "tubbed/rotar" TA22 GT is a GT only due to it's former status. Personally, I think it's a crying shame to do that to such a great and rare car, and it would be nigh impossible to get it back to its former glory. It can be classified as a GT in name only now.

I see what you're saying but it's still one of the genuine ones Toyota imported and still survives, although a little modified.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the body of that TA22 has apparently been for sale for as little as $2000
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

There's a GTV that's in need of a little restoration. I'm not sure what model GTV and exactly what it's current condition is.

There's a TA22 GT in Tassie, so I been told.

As far as another RA25GT, yeah, I've heard about this, but I'd like to see some pics to confirm. However, it's good to know there's another one about 'cos it can be a good source for spares.. Evil or Very Mad ... other than Gold28's rear RA25 bumper which I hope he is taking good care of for me Smile

I dunno if the other cars, except my RA25 and the red TA22 GT (which were imported by Toyota/AMI - including the Levine) I saw where imported privately.

I tried to contact Stewart Toyota, via email but got no response. Stewart's were the guys who sold the cars and Laurie Stewart, the owner had a good relationship with the top brass of AMI and that's how he got his hands on the GTs all those years ago.

seeyuzz
river
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me more about this GTV???
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It's a TA22-MQ-EE JDM GTV with late model nose (ie 23 style
indicators).

seeyuzz
river
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 18:02

Hi,

It's a TA22-MQ-EE JDM GTV with late model nose (ie 23 style
indicators).

seeyuzz
river

Doesn't that make it a long nose JDM only TA22 then?

It would have the exact same front on it as the RA25 wouldn't it river?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 18:42

Doesn't that make it a long nose JDM only TA22 then?

It would have the exact same front on it as the RA25 wouldn't it river?

Yes, it does. Here's an example of one....

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/jdmcelicas/mean.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/jdmcelicas/purple.jpg

seeyuzz
river
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres an olive green coloured one for sale on Yahoo Japan atm. Its a GTV too
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 14 January 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the models i use to own ,1 was red TA22GTV with 2tg and the other was a green RA21 GT with 18rg ,the GTV had the 6 function ok monitor p/windows ,aircon,lsd and the oil temp guage that was in the consule plus it had the friggin chim alarm at 100 clicks 220 speedo, european park lights a fm radio that wouldnt work cause it only went to 90 on the dial also had a special light that you could use iunder the bonnet and the best 1 yet a flare if you broke down and they had green steel mags with either 185 or 175 x 13 inch weight of car 990 kilos

the RA21 that i had also had much the same but with F series rear end ,wind up windows ,ok monitor again mainly every thing bar the oil temp and no aircon went like a rocket .weight 1045 kilos

also i had a TE27 levin that i sold to a guy in brisbane 15years ago hot 2tg ,holinger c/ratio box ,lsd steel bolt on flares also had guages where the radio fitted in a ke25 grunty little car weight from memory was 860 kilos
TA22_3TG
Regular

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=74gt wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 15:37][quote title=Squid wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 12:47]

The RA35 GTV went to Tassie I think Mitch or Phil (forget which one) said. Anyway the RA35 was a private import...wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was.

Yep I can confirm that Steve shed a tear as he sold his RA35 GTV to a guy in Tasmania.
Cheers
Mitch
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

TA22_3TG wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 18:35

Yep I can confirm that Steve shed a tear as he sold his RA35 GTV to a guy in Tasmania.
Cheers
Mitch

I don't blame him. I'd be bawling too.

Why'd did he sell it?

seeyuzz
river
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=TA22_3TG wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 18:35][quote title=74gt wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 15:37]
Squid wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 12:47

Cheers
Mitch

Oh good so it didn't go too far away then.

If I had the money at the time I would have bourght it. Still around though if it comes up again. I'll start putting away the pennys.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Lambolica wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 22:26

Still around though if it comes up again. I'll start putting away the pennys.

Hehehe.. not unless I beat you to it. Of course, I'll let you come around and look at it.... maybe Smile

seeyuzz
river
TA22_3TG
Regular

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like most of us, you end up with another project or two and not enough space to house/store all the cars!

Steve gave me a drive of the GTV once and it was a real treat to see just how 'right' Toyota got it sometimes. For a car mad nation like our Oz, I just cant imagine the intel they must have received in Japan not to release these cool cars here!

Ah well, with lots of TLC, $$$ and a bunch of knowlegeable mates like the ones in the CCG, you can at least pretend what might have been with a 3TGEU (soon 2 b 3TGTEU) TA22 like my Tweety!
Cheers
Mitch
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can say is that Australian laws are F!@KED!!! we never get any of the really good cars whether toyota or otherwise... they ae always tuned down, de-specd and crap... it really pisses me off

its like the corolla rally car, 4WD twin turbo with a 6 speed sequential box that was released a few years back, now thats a car i WOULD LOVE TO HAVE...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must sadly inform you guys of a TA22 GT that died a tragic death here in Canberra. It started life as a GT then some punk P-plater got his hands on it (probably 7 years ago now) and fitted some hideous fibreglass body kit and then later wrote it off.

I don't know the guy, just saw the car a few times (placcard in engine indicated it was a true GT) and always though what a waste. Then when it sat crumpled up on his front lawn I though now it really is a waste.

Why could he have trashed something a little more common....
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 17 January 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 10:13

I must sadly inform you guys of a TA22 GT that died a tragic death here in Canberra. It started life as a GT then some punk P-plater got his hands on it (probably 7 years ago now) and fitted some hideous fibreglass body kit and then later wrote it off.

I don't know the guy, just saw the car a few times (placcard in engine indicated it was a true GT) and always though what a waste. Then when it sat crumpled up on his front lawn I though now it really is a waste.

Burn His House Down!!!!

Any chance of resurection?

So Sad No No No
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 18 January 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Any chance of resurection?

Not from what I saw of it. Must have been a few years ago now too, so it was probably squashed into a cube a long time ago.

A few nice rare cars still get around Canberra in beautiful condition and driven by oldies (rust is not a huge problem this far inland).

Small country towns that were prosperous in the 70's seem to be a good hunting ground for old schmick cars Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 18 January 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that is very true. I know of several towns (farms ) that have some Celicas sitting in sheds etc. One Day I'm going to go on a parts collecting expadition.

I'd love to come accross some old GTs in all that.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 18 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I remember my dad telling me once that there was a celica shell sitting at the tip near Kippax, and he said that when he looked inside it he noticed an oil temp/ammeter guage that was still in the dash. So maybe this could have been the Canberra GT that was killed? (this was a long time ago)
XiL3D
Regular

April 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 18 January 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 07:19

River's RA25 however, is still (except for the wheels) in it's original JDM GT glory. Original engine, dash, seats, shocks, springs, trannie, diff, fender mirrors (they're sooooo cool) and colour.

do you always refer to yourself in the 3rd person?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 18 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

XiL3D wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 19:05

do you always refer to yourself in the 3rd person?

Funny you should mention that. Last night I had a long hard and honest talk with myself and it ended in a shouting match and we went our different ways.

Basically, I don't mind using first-person terms, but river often uses the third person. I'm hoping river can calm down and see things my way.

seeyuzz
river... err, me

XiL3D
Regular

April 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 19 January 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

your a funny man river...

you too river
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 19 January 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got one!!! Bought it out of Qld. 1975 TA22, euro spec's. Cost ....... $2500. Condition, fairly good, only small amounts of rust. Interior has been stripped, have managed to score most of what i need. have started to restore it, but cash flow is making for a slow process. Located in Adelaide. Hope to have on the road within 2 years.

riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silly75gt wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 13:56

Ive got one!!! Bought it out of Qld. 1975 TA22, euro spec's. Cost ....... $2500. Condition, fairly good, only small amounts of rust. Interior has been stripped, have managed to score most of what i need. have started to restore it, but cash flow is making for a slow process. Located in Adelaide. Hope to have on the road within 2 years.

PICS OR BAN!!!!
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dude,.. was this painted dodgy black by any chance, with ridiculous fibreglass flares?

if so,. I took it for a spin a couple of years ago when the guy was trying to sell it, and it was absolutely shagged, it barely moved as the clutch was fuggered, and the 2TG had been poorly rebuilt by his mate,.. treated like a paddock basher, and needed heaps of work

SHIT!!,. I knocked it back at $300 as it was to much work Shocked ,. if that was a GT,... I'll be pissed Embarassed

(I remember it had all the GT stuff on it, but I thought he just did it up to look like a GT),.. FUCK!!!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Dude,.. was this painted dodgy black by any chance, with ridiculous fibreglass flares?

if so,. I took it for a spin a couple of years ago when the guy was trying to sell it, and it was absolutely shagged, it barely moved as the clutch was fuggered, and the 2TG had been poorly rebuilt by his mate,.. treated like a paddock basher, and needed heaps of work

SHIT!!,. I knocked it back at $300 as it was to much work ,. if that was a GT,... I'll be pissed

(I remember it had all the GT stuff on it, but I thought he just did it up to look like a GT),.. FUCK!!!

Nah from memory it was a midnight blue type colour. But yeah it was rough and the fibreglass body kit thing didn't help.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 14:58

Quote:

SHIT!!,. I knocked it back at $300 as it was to much work ,. if that was a GT,... I'll be pissed

Nah from memory it was a midnight blue type colour. But yeah it was rough and the fibreglass body kit thing didn't help.

Well,.. I hope it was a different one,.. but I can remember the guy telling me that the 2TG came in the car, and it was the same engine from the factory (I thought he was full of shit), wish I had of checked VIN,. for my own piece of mind,..

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we only found out the blue one was legit because I hassled him at a servo about whether it was a real GT and he popped the bonnet to show the plate to prove it. This dude should not have even been allowed to have his hands on an LT No No No it was an abomonation
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If this was the same young bloke who worked as a apprentice mechanic at Shell in Phillip,..

Thats the one,..

And it was an absolute abomonation,..

I remember him telling me a story about the wheel coming off whilst he was doing 100kph+

No No No No No No No No No
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As bought.
c:/gt.jpg
c:/dash.jpg
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics dont work
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 20 January 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 14:50

SHIT!!,. I knocked it back at $300 as it was to much work Shocked ,. if that was a GT,... I'll be pissed Embarassed

Ok we have 7 years ago and a couple of years ago...are they the same car or were there 2 Canberra GT celicas?

BTW Mike, even if it was a fake GT, then the GT parts alone would have been worth a lot more than $300! Smiley $$

@silly75gt...fix those pics!
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 21 January 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]
BTW Mike, even if it was a fake GT, then the GT parts alone would have been worth a lot more than $300! Smiley $$
[/quote]

Yes,. That is true,.. But I wasn't prepared to waste my time with such a piece of shit.

At the time, I was livig at home, and my parents wouldn't have been very happy if I bought home yet another wrecked celica.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 21 January 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

At the time, I was livig at home, and my parents wouldn't have been very happy if I bought home yet another wrecked celica.

You should have threatened to put them in a home if they had a problem with another celica. I do it to my parents all the time...works occasionally Very Happy
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 21 January 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 12:45

silly75gt wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 13:56

PICS OR BAN!!!!

Don't know how to post pic's.
TA22R-MQ-YY is what the plate states. Euro spec GT
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 21 January 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silly75gt's pics are here

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ta22rebuild/gt.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ta22rebuild/dash.jp g
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 21 January 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Nice car (silly75gt), but is the steering wheel stock? I thought that design of wheel was on the LT variants and the GT's havd a different style of steering wheel.

I'm speaking mainly from RA25 experience and maybe the TA22 were different. So, I'd be most happy if you'd enlighten me! Smile

seeyuzz
river
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 22 January 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I spoke to guy I bought it from and he told me the history of the car, I can safely assume that nothing has changed. It was a lady driver before he bought it ( related to the guy who imported it) and she is related to the guy i bought it off as well. The car was complete until a few years ago when he had a accident that stuffed him badly, he really wanted to keep the car so started to put in cumfy seats etc, but as his condition got worse he realised the car was too low and traded up to a 4x4. Unfortunately most of the gear he stripped out got turfed. The engine bay is still as per factory except extractors. The car was running when I got it but i have taken off the road to give it alot of TLC.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 23 January 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes that is the original steering wheel for the export GT your 1 river was unique only made for TA,RA 22 27 25 and 21 models being GT and they also made a comeback in the ra23/28and 35 GT celica s later
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 24 January 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have one of the 6 TA22 GT's.
I bought it as a write off a few years ago in Melbourne. It was the full Jap spec TA22 GT from 1974. I think its original colour was white.
I used my orignal TA22 and rebuild the car from the ground up using the wrecked GT. The finished car is on my site, as most have most likely seen. It has all the GT options from Japan including the ok monitor, Oil temp gauge, power windows and factory tinted windows. I even have the factory TA22 GT owners manual that came with the car.
Things I have changed from the stock GT is the 3T GTE engine, gear knob, steering wheel, Recaro leather seats, brakes, and wheels. In the end, its a car with a difference and built the way I wanted and with parts I like the most. Everything on it is Toyota, besides the EVO 5 intercooler.

Cheers,
Simon
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 27 January 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, that made them go quiet, I think i can safely assume that they have seen the photo's of your GT Simon. Not a fixer like mine, but a better then new example of what a lot of hard work and money can acheive.It's good to see that a South Aussie car can safely be considered one of the best in Aust, and probebly out shines most of the Jap cars as well..
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 29 January 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno why this thread has died? Rolling Eyes
BTW, the GT I bought was orignally owned by one of the big wigs at Toyota in Victoria.

I suspect there are a few more GT's that were privately imported. EG Ashleys plus others....
Its an awesome model that was really ahead of its time.

GT's are a big deal in Australia only due to the limited numbers. In Japan the LT is almost as rare as GT's here as most bought the GT or GTV models. There are still quite a few nice GTs in Japan.
As Ashley said, it takes a heap of time, patience and $$ to do the job right, for any Celica.

Cheers,
Simon
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 29 January 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 GT wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 00:42

Dunno why this thread has died? Rolling Eyes
BTW, the GT I bought was orignally owned by one of the big wigs at Toyota in Victoria.

I suspect there are a few more GT's that were privately imported. EG Ashleys plus others....
Its an awesome model that was really ahead of its time.

GT's are a big deal in Australia only due to the limited numbers. In Japan the LT is almost as rare as GT's here as most bought the GT or GTV models. There are still quite a few nice GTs in Japan.
As Ashley said, it takes a heap of time, patience and $$ to do the job right, for any Celica.

Cheers,
Simon

Your last point is very true but really you had it easier than most by being able to salvage all the GT parts from the wreck (at least the interior bits)and not have to go through auction sites to get what you wanted/needed

BTW Although its illegal, did you replace the VIN on the LT celica with the GT one?

coz by being able to get the VINs of the 6 TA22s is at least a start on locating them and knowing which cars to look out for.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 29 January 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the LTs are rare in japan then i should rebuild an original LT and swap it for an original GT in japan Very Happy

and although it is illegal to change the VIN there are ways around it Rolling Eyes not that im into that
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 29 January 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If LTs are rare then imagine what ETs are like then.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 29 January 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

In Japan the LT is almost as rare as GT's here as most bought the GT or GTV models.
Perfectly understandable Cool

Quote:

If LTs are rare then imagine what ETs are like then
Who cares about ET's Laughing
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 00:53

TA22 GT wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 00:42

but really you had it easier than most by being able to salvage all the GT parts from the wreck (at least the interior bits)and not have to go through auction sites to get what you wanted/needed

I could have fixed the original GT, but really couldn't justify` it as the chassis is exactly the same as the LT chassis. I never planned to keep it a stock GT, so the choice was easy to build a GT out of 2 cars. Every item on my car is GT.
If I were a purist I would have fixed the wreck and kept the stock 2TG, stock wheels etc etc.

I've paid my fair share of gear from private sellers as well as the auctions. I wanted to build an immaculate car so I took the time and effort to replace most of the GT gear with either brand new or near near parts. I've sold most of the spare parts I have.
It took me over 5 years to find everything. True, that starting now is harder as these parts are getting pretty rare now.
Having said that just about everything is still out there, you just need to know where to look.

Cheers,
Simon
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The thread hasn't died... it's just quietened down a bit. Besides, I'm always here.. always watching.. always reading. Smile

I have nothing to add in regards to Toyota-sponsored TA22GT imports into Australia. I really don't have anything to add in regards to RA25GT imports either (even though the thread topic is in regards to "TA22GT" vehicles).

I guess the quietness just shows what we all thought... the old GTs are very, very rare and there is very little info in regards to the ones brought into Oz all those years ago.

Hopefully someone will have more info and keep this thread active and we can all read (and hopefully see some pics) of these grand old girls that are still kicking around.

seeyuzz
river
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
OK, so out of the 6 GT's I can definately account for one of them. The rotary was also another of the 6.

So there's another 3 or 4 somewhere? Sounds like one was written off in Canberra and maybe theres one in Tassie.
It would be good to confirm the location of the remaining 4 GT's.

Has anyone bought the rotary GT? If someone wants one of the 6 they could return this to its original specs..
Does anyone know why Toyota only imported the 5 or 6 TA22 GT's?

Cya.
simon
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:honda accords
Next Topic:AE82 dedicated thead (everyone else has one)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:32:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011131048202515 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.