Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Tue, 11 January 2005 23:02 Go to next message
Hi all, just thought this was interesting.. My girlfriend Meg has a AE86 with the bigport 4age engine and I have one with the smallport 4age engine.

Not condoning this in anyway of course!... But this morning we found ourselves lined up at a set of lights that leads up Kariong hill (some very nice corners and gentle uphill).

Anyway, there is NO difference at all with the 2 different versions of the 4age. Both were neck & neck through every gear, was quite unbelievable that 1 of the cars didn't even slightly drop back or pull away.

The smallport is running a much more restricted exhaust so maybe that would add a couple of kW to it.

Cheers
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 12 January 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh the ol racing with the woman.

sometimes i find myself lined up with my girl in her lil civic, when the lights go green and it's on, i try to let out the other side of me, keeping it nice and close, and fairly tamed......little does she know i'm only half on boost Twisted Evil
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 12 January 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres gotta be a difference between the two..

ive got a smallport and most of my friends have bigports. all of our motors are stock and i seem to beat them most of the time in a straight line.

not only that tho, the powerband of the smallport is better.

mebbe ur gf is just a better drive than u? Razz lol
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 12 January 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bigport will always sound better Very Happy

hmmmmmm bullet
kojak
Regular

January 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Thu, 13 January 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my smallport sounds better than all the other bigports ive heard around the streets of lekemba (twinky fest)
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Thu, 13 January 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my limited experimental experience Smile , the bigport will usually walk over the smallport from a standing start to the middle of 2nd gear ( in AE86 ) then from about 80kmh on the smallport should pull away at about 5-10kmh faster to the top of the revrange thru 3rd and 4th

which is one reason i used to love racing steve and rod (when the show car had the 4AG ) because I was able to clean both cars up in our standing start practices. On the freeway it was a totally different story.. rolling start from 3rd gear the smallport totally cleans up a big port.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Thu, 13 January 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm interesting.. Might need to put that theory to test as we only made it to somewhere around 3rd gear.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Fri, 14 January 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with a tuned ecu the smallport will always rock over a tvis bigport
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 16 January 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your assuming the bigport still uses TVIS... with quads its a whole different ballgame .... have a closer look at at FA setups.. gee I wonder what head they used Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 16 January 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buhhhh of course a bigport head is better for high duration cams
more air more flow more power

with quads on either head its going to be much different..

id say that the best head to use would be a ported smallport into not-so-large bigport style ports

even with 308° - 316° cams the bigport head has less than 0 torque below 5000rpm

smaller ports (to a degree) would help with initial torque under 4k rpm

but then again, what kinda use for what kinda engine yeah??
a bigport would suit a 10000 rpm FA 4ag with silly cams that spends its life at constant 9000~ rpm for 20 laps for sure... but what road car gets to enjoy that?

Wink

4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Fri, 21 January 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep an eye on our victorian dyno day. Maybe results will show the clear winner Very Happy.
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 23 January 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok but what do we think would be better for the turbo 4AGE. Im in two minds.... Confused Rolling Eyes

What do ya think?

Jezza

[Updated on: Sun, 23 January 2005 02:17]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 23 January 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for turbo you ( or should i say I ) would use a bigport, bigger ports = more volume = more power in F/I setups
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 23 January 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah michael thats what i was thinking but do you think if i used the small port head that there would be any real affect on lag and response?

Jezza
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Mon, 24 January 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that hard to answer as it will depend on all the variables like what turbo you use, size and length of IC plumbing and even the IC itself can have an effect from what i understand.

In short figure out what you want the engine to do, then talk to people who really know there shit ( about the only ones id talk to at toymods would be people like yellorolla and Justin GT4 ) maybe a race car builder and use thier knowledge to put together a package that does what you want. generally a smaller turbo will give you a smoother response thru the whole range, bigger turbo will give lag but has a bigger final punch.

you could also talk to Peter Hindricson,his new package sounds very good, I havent been in the car myself but talking to him the other day he mentioned the response was very good with the turbo hes using.
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Mon, 24 January 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 19:08

you could also talk to Peter Hindricson,his new package sounds very good, I havent been in the car myself but talking to him the other day he mentioned the response was very good with the turbo hes using.

Do you have some contact details for Peter?

Cheers mate

Jezza
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Tue, 25 January 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uhmm actually i cant remeber if hes registered on here, i know he looks here occasionally, i usually catch up with him at events more than anything else.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 26 January 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 19:08

well that hard to answer as it will depend on all the variables like what turbo you use, size and length of IC plumbing and even the IC itself can have an effect from what i understand.

In short figure out what you want the engine to do, then talk to people who really know there shit ( about the only ones id talk to at toymods would be people like yellorolla and Justin GT4 ) maybe a race car builder and use thier knowledge to put together a package that does what you want. generally a smaller turbo will give you a smoother response thru the whole range, bigger turbo will give lag but has a bigger final punch.

if this peter guy is who i think he is "light blue silver turboed 86" that is 1 fit car my friend
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Thu, 10 February 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would a jap(96kw) bigport be any different?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Fri, 11 February 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the rwd big port are 96kw. Nfi where the 86kw myth came from but some how it stuck. ae82 4age are 86kw but they are fwd motors as are mr2 motors.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sat, 12 February 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Australian market ecu's only came in FWD vehicles and are slighlty different tuning to RWD 4age hence they produced the lower output of 86Kw, same as the californian emmisions tuned ecu's
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sat, 12 February 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 16:11

Australian market ecu's only came in FWD vehicles and are slighlty different tuning to RWD 4age hence they produced the lower output of 86Kw, same as the californian emmisions tuned ecu's

So if you get a jap bp ecu and put it on your aus bp, will that bring it up to 96kw? is it the only difference between the two?

btw i swear to god there is a difference between the bigport and smallport. If anyone has a standard bigport i rekon my standard smallport will beat it in a straight line, lets do some testing Wink
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 13 February 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 02:16

IRA11Y wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 16:11

So if you get a jap bp ecu and put it on your aus bp, will that bring it up to 96kw? is it the only difference between the two?

btw i swear to god there is a difference between the bigport and smallport. If anyone has a standard bigport i rekon my standard smallport will beat it in a straight line, lets do some testing Wink

exactly arch

the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the aussie Bluetop and the JDM bluetop is the tuning in the ECU

swap ecu and use 98ron = 95Kw
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 16 February 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well thats a good upgrade for bluetop ppl... or is the jap ecu exy?

anyone got a bigport they wanna test angainst my smallport? so i can prove turbora28 wrong muhaha
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 16 February 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a bigport motor using a JDM ECU, but haven't come across a small port using a stock ECU.

i also got my head and intake ported and polished if that makes any difference.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 16 February 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon we should have a drag battle arch Wink

My bigport 4AGE (jap rwd) makes about 70-75kw at the wheels. I dont think my bigport is anything special at all, but I enjoy it. I have an aftermarket ECU and no internal mods, only ricer mods (pod and zorst moite).

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Wed, 16 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe ur on Wink

tonight i had a run with a s4 rx7 13bt, he had 3 car lengths on me by the top of third, lol.

damn turbos ahah
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 13 March 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also the aussie big ports use a air flow meter, jdm uses map.

personally ive owned both stock both in a sprinter, the smallport had 4-2-1 extractors, big port was stock jdm rwd type.

only variable really was wheel size.. i now run a very small wheel diametre.. which is what i used with the small port.

the small port kills the big port in every way. i must admit it was a long time inbetween, and then my effective shorter final ratio would also make a differance, but im convinced the small port is a much better motor.

ill let you know how it compares to a black top in a week.. ish... i hope.. ANT PLEASE COME DO MY WIRING!

mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Sun, 13 March 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slydar wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:30

also the aussie big ports use a air flow meter, jdm uses map.

No Aussie Delivered 4AGE's were ever AFM.

The american models and maybe the AW11 mr2's.

Im sure all redtop and blue top tvis were map
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Tue, 15 March 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

No Aussie Delivered 4AGE's were ever AFM

i think youll find that the 4AGE in the aussie MR2's came out with some AFM's
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Tue, 15 March 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:57

Quote:

They sure did.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 (bigport 4age) vs. AE86 (smallport 4age) Tue, 22 March 2005 10:08 Go to previous message
IRA11Y wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:57

Quote:

Quote:

The american models and maybe the AW11 mr2's.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Full Lock Drift Comp - are there ANY technical regs?
Next Topic:1G RA65 Celica Vs ................ !!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:18:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074689388275146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.