May 2002
Suspension - Brand Preference Mon, 27 May 2002 10:27 Go to next message

Suspension - Brand Preference[ 21 vote(s) ]
1.Monroe GT gas shocks 4 / 19%
2.KYB shocks 5 / 24%
3.Tien 3 / 14%
4.Koni 6 / 29%
5.Bilstein (obviously not for me) 3 / 14%

What brand suspension do you guys run/recommend.

I am on a budget unfortunately, and ... yes, $$ is running out.. need to cut corners with suspension hehe

Opinion on shocks and springs would be good thanks.

Best quotes so far

Monroe GT gas shocks ...$175 (fr) and $110 (rear)/pair
King Springs...bout $260 all round

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:31]

Send a private message to this user    
Kookinen
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon12.gif  Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Mon, 27 May 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Les, it's Kev here...

Let me say a few things from experience, and not just guesswork. I've run Bilsteins and Boge's in my Porsche, and the Bilsteins are noticeably firmer (as they should be) but give *much* improved control. My Sprinter currently has King springs all round, and Koni yellows (F) and Bilsteins (R). They are good - so far no probs. A thing about Koni's, my Yellows are adjustable, but only by removing them from the strut, therefore a real hassle so I leave it on it's middle setting. The Red's are externally adjustable (via the strut top) but on my friend's BMW, even tho the setting says from "soft" to "hard", in reality it was really "hard" to "ridiculously hard"!

Now for my *humble* opinions! Razz Bilsteins are my personal fave, and they will re-valve ur shocks for the life of them, if u ever want a diff setting. They seem to hold up very well under competitive use, according to my friend, & me. But apparently Boge's are made by the same manufacturer/company, just to slightly lower tolerances. They are mainly OEM replacements. eg. Mercedes have fitted Koni's, Bilsteins and Boge's at one time or another, depending on availability and cost. But they are all valved to OEM specs, so perform pretty much the same.

And finally, the hearsay. My friends import car parts. TEIN's are good, but expensive. They are like Armani suits - good, but ur paying for the "brand" as well as quality. More so than Koni or Bilstein because of the cost of importing them in relatively small numbers. Dunno much about Monroe's, but seems like a "budget" option? actually I shouldn't say anything seeing as I dun know anything about them! Smile Altho I *have* heard pretty good things about Kayaba (KYB) - they seem to be a good price/performance compromise? I'm sure ppl out there have better knowledge than me re these things, tho.

Also, I've heard SPAX are pretty popular in Europe, but seem to be invisible here - anyone know anything about them?

And as i'm sure someone is gonna say, the main thing is how ur springs AND dampers complement each other. Some sites i've come across actually have regular competitors post up their spring rates as a result from testing on the track... handy, but in japanese and I've forgotten where i saw it! But ur best bet for a complete set-up would prob be Whiteline - they develop their springs and dampers in conjunction with each other, and for each specific model of car, and made right here for aussie roads. I have only ever heard good things about them.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Mon, 27 May 2002 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

WAH what porsche ? does it handle better than the sprinter ? hehe

mhmm did i mention im on a budget ???!!!

still, if u recommend bilsteins, i will give them a call and check out the prices and also for the record, i dont think i will be getting adjustables... getting tooo technical for me !

hehe

Thanks man !
ps see u at next cruise ! Razz
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Mon, 27 May 2002 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id recomend K-Mac springs Smile you can get any height for any car and the springs cost $165 a pair. Also if yo go really low springs you can get short stroke dampers off them as well. The people there are nice and i thought good to do buisiness with.
chris.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Mon, 27 May 2002 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had no trouble dealing the Whiteline.

They have guys there who know what they are on about and will do any insert you want and will match or manufacture the springs to match.

I have friends who say the same of K-mac so you should check out both.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Tue, 28 May 2002 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you've got Tein on the list what about: DMS (OZ made in wodonga), Proflex, Ohlins... Sorry all very expensive and 100x Better then any on your list. Bugdet wise, Koni's or Bilstein with good springs, Kings or whiteline are then best and produce surprising results.
Redline
Regular

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Tue, 28 May 2002 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, I thought king springs were shit..... guess not
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Tue, 28 May 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run Kings over Proflex shocks in the rally car, this is common for many of the late model PRC (Grp A) cars in OZ. The Rest Usually run DMS.
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Wed, 29 May 2002 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suspension should be the last place you cut corners.
what gets your power to the ground,and keeps you on line around corners? not your chrome rims or turbo engine swap...

I suggest you hold off and save up for a proper setup.
I don't believe TEIN make anything for the RA65,unless you want to convert sprinter hardware,but then you'd be weakening the car to gain good coil-overs.

Whiteline make a decent package,but it's far from "matched" as they make out. I run most of their sprinter kit,and some of it was developed from feedabck given to them after I fitted their stuff,and thrashed my sprinter on various roads(it's my car that's on their website).
the koni yellows they use are quite good,but the springs aren't spot on with them,like a proper coil-over,say,an HA TEIN is.
having said this,their gear is more than enough for the average punter,and well priced.

to do it properly,and get the best out of the car,you're going to need to budget at least $2500,and that's fitting it all yourself. look into what Koni,and Bilstein offer for your car,and hunt around for good quality coils. forget stuff where they sell it with type like "30% harder than std" and such.
buy on rate and ride height specs. you want rate specs in lb/in.squared or kg/mm squared.

you need to decide what rates will suit what kind of driving you want to do,and then get shocks to match the springs you have bought. there a re a few places around with shock dynos who can setup your dampers properly.
(this is something I need to get done actually...)

good luck,

Justin...

[Updated on: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:02]

mr_messy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Wed, 29 May 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...i could use new springs right about now for my starlet...
my front passenger one snapped into two pieces!
speed hump + 80km hr...= new springs needed....
so dont do that!
i dont see why it snapped tho!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Wed, 29 May 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hmmm fergo,

thanks for the write up... but i am not gonna be harcore in to racing/handling... what u recomment for .. everyday driving, and ripping a few corners ocasionally?

What are the advantages of adjustable shocks from hard to very hard ?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys i really need your help here !!!!!!!

Any one have JUMBOZ springs ??

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2002 05:25]

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had Jumbo's 2" lowered and Koni's in my AE102 Daily, It was an alright setup, but it was a daily driver so I was out for pure performance.
mr_messy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would anyone be able to write down addresses of where i can possibly buy suspension bits n pieces from??
i really need to get some asap..
for e.g where are lovels springs located, or king springs..
or any place where they can make/ stock spring at?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lovells are located on Parramatta Rd Homebush, Just down the Road from Rare Spares (Near the Bridge)
Allsprings are on Moorebank Ave Moorebank
Whiteline are some where in Ingleburn (Not sure)
Kings ???

Check the Yellow pages or Car Mags (FF's,Hot4's etc)
mr_messy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks for that johnny!
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Thu, 30 May 2002 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 30 May 2002 8:57 AM

hmmm fergo,

thanks for the write up... but i am not gonna be harcore in to racing/handling... what u recomment for .. everyday driving, and ripping a few corners ocasionally?

What are the advantages of adjustable shocks from hard to very hard ?

first part: go to whiteline,and buy a set of coils,and yellow adjustable Konis. best bang for buck you can get on the medium level of the scale. gt gas,kyb... put these in your mother's commodore. they're not performance shocks. they're for std cars with std spring rates and ride heights.

2nd part: none really. you want adjustable shocks so you can match them to the springs you run. that's all. once they're set,you forget them,unless you change the spring rate.

Justin...
mr_messy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Fri, 31 May 2002 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i just got myself a pair of kmac springs...because i knew where rocdale was, was closer didnt have much petrol..im a tight ass...but hey i earn less than $200 a week
was all good, not a danger on the roads anymore.
compared to my last theyre little too soft for me(im used to the close to bone jarring when i come off the speed humps) and higher than my original ones. asked for 1.5' lower than standard i think they gave me standard. my rear is 1' lower
my nose is pointing in the air abit...being a fwd i dont think thats good...
hate being stuffed round like this...gotta get it back to them tomorrow morning so they can reset it i hope they dont expect me to take it out and that they will do it..cos it was bloody hard work doing it on my own with just a few tools. good experience tho..first time ive done it!

does the height make the difference between the comfort or is that all spring rate?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Sun, 02 June 2002 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what it's worth, I have the ~1" drop King Springs and Monroe GT combo in my RA65 and am happy. If you've got lots of money, buy yourself some Konis or something, but if you are on a budget I still think this is a reasonable setup. My car handles way better than stock, is firm but I still have *some* ride left. If I had really really all-out stiff suspension it'd be hell on these dodgy tassie roads. I've replaced the front end with polly bushigns too.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension - Brand Preference Sun, 02 June 2002 03:45 Go to previous message
Posted a really long reply but the computer crashed went I went to post [grrr]
Basically, I've gone from stock suspension to new shocks-->new struts-->front poly bushings-->lowerd front-->lowered back--->7" SUpra rims. I did this gradually, step by step, so know a little about the improvements each stage made.

If you're on a budget but want a celica that handles way better than stock but still has *some* ride left, get the king 1" drop springs all round and the best shocks you can afford. Monroe GTs were a bit firmer than stock 16year old shocks/struts, but still a little soft with stock 16year olfd springs. New springs fixed this. I'm quite happy with King 1" drop springs/Monroe GT combo. I still get jolted around, but I'd hate to have firmer shocks or stiffer springs on these crappy uneven Tassie roads. I hear KYBs are quite stiff.

Do you plan on putting wider wheels on Les?
7" rims made a nice difference too. The wider track made the car feel wider and more stable. Celica GTSs came with these stock in the US, and I wonder whether our suspension was origally designed around 7" rather than 5.5" rims. I used to have 195/65/14 yoko 509s on the stock 5.5" rims, and now have toyo 600F3 205/60/14s on the supra rims. 205 on a 7" rim gives a stiffer sidewall and a slightly lower profile, all good things.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How do you put a little picture beside your name?
Next Topic:mk2 supra - differences?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:03:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064289569854736 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.