Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Am i wasting my time????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:27 Go to next message
atm i have a 18rgeu engine. It has been fully rebuilt using low comp pistons but in order to run the boost i want im gonna have to strip it again and get it oringed meaning more cost. I also havnt been able to get the ecu tuned properly and dyno tuners want $500+ to tune it for me. Im looking at about $2000 to get it done now. Am i wasting my time on the full turbo build (havent got a turbo manifold yet either). I also wanted to stay 4 cyl to get cheaper rego and be in lower classes at drags etc etc.

am i better off selling all the engine, carbs, efi setup etc etc and going straight for the 1ggte or even 1jzgte if i can find a cheapish one???

let me know your thoughts people.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 21:27

atm i have a 18rgeu engine. It has been fully rebuilt using low comp pistons but in order to run the boost i want im gonna have to strip it again and get it oringed meaning more cost. I also havnt been able to get the ecu tuned properly and dyno tuners want $500+ to tune it for me. Im looking at about $2000 to get it done now. Am i wasting my time on the full turbo build (havent got a turbo manifold yet either). I also wanted to stay 4 cyl to get cheaper rego and be in lower classes at drags etc etc.

am i better off selling all the engine, carbs, efi setup etc etc and going straight for the 1ggte or even 1jzgte if i can find a cheapish one???

let me know your thoughts people.

1g... there needs to be a thumbs up icon for smilies
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd keep it. as you say. find another motor cheaply. alothough if you can find one of the motors your talking about cheaper then $2000. then I'd get piss the 18R off. It's all about cost.

N.B-If looking at another motor make sure its in good nic. as engine rebuilds may be involved in the other motor opition

just my two cents
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep the 18RG. 1G's are ghey and 1JZ's are as common as cum on curtains.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 21:13

Keep the 18RG. 1G's are ghey and 1JZ's are as common as cum on curtains.

Why are 1G's "ghey" ?
Dollar for dollar they are going to beat any 18RG.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
half baked 18rg projects in the scrap pile are also about to be common....I dont get enough time to try to tune the ecu (dont know what im doing either) and i can get a cheap as 1ggte setup but i think its a gen1 but its complete and was running when removed
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 20:54

Dollar for dollar they are going to beat any 18RG.

Dollar for dollar maybe. But with some work I think the 18RG will piss all over a 1G.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't forget to add:
1G to W5x bellhousing
flysheel/clutch/pressure plate/clutch slave to suit
extra plumbing to bring clutch line from drv side to pass side
W55/57/8 gearbox
modified rear trans mount to suit
modified tailshaft
exhaust to suit

...you could (and should) run the 1G factory ECU - but with some research and prepararion, your MS ECU could run the 1G hardware (including the TVIS, ignition , etc).

cheers, charles.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its more of a time thing now....the rg has turned into 2 long years oh hell now....The missus is about to spit a kid out and im getting real busy with work now so i wanna just finish a conversion so ive got a weekend toy to have some fun with. the amount of money and time that has gone into my engine i should be able to pic up a complete gen 2 or 3 1ggte package and fit it myself. i already have a FMIC, turbo timer, boost gauge, 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust w55 box. so just need engine, bell housing and ecu/loom and fit it...alot easier then finishing my engine. well for me anyway
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i tried to run the 1g of my MS id just run into the same tuning problems i have now wouldnt I. Like i dont have any idea what im doing???
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm glad someone else just wants their project on the road Smile
your story makes my night a little more bearable.

depends if you want original or just a toy. if you're after a toy, I'd go the 1g. crank up the boost a little and you'll have a fun little car. the 18r-gte definitly has more kudos, but unless you're purposefully trying to build something different (or have a specific interest in racing in a certain class, which you alluded to) the 1g is the go
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1G would be a 'bolt in' compared to the 18RG trauma - i take it you talking about into the SA63?

MS would be a tuning issue - but with a going engine, it could piggyback onto some of the sensors (or like some of the US MS guys, ran two sets of sensors) or mounted via some kind convertor board to match 1G ECU pins to MS ecu pins... but it's something i'd suggest AFTER you've got the car stable and comfortable.

only issue would be the right mix of engine mounts, cross member and sump?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was only think about taking to drags etc and burnout comps for fun on the weekends but i assume with burnouts turbo cars go straight to open class anyway so doesnt matter what i run i guess....But im just looking for a bit of easyness atm to get the thing done. yes it is to go into the sa63 when i get it charles.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Am i wasting my time???? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:34 Go to previous message
well on one hand the 18rg its gonna be fully rebuilt
and exactly how you want it.

on the other hand the 1ggte is an awesome conversion
and you start with a lot of power just stock.

18rg wont need mods to fit in? but 1ggte will need a
quite a bit of work? im not 100% sure but i think thats
right.

well your case 18rg is a lot of work on engine and 1ggte
is a lot of work on conversion so depends if you want to do engine or conversion.

i vote 1ggte!!!!

my 2c

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 11:36]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 - Changing the CD Player
Next Topic:Corolla/Celica Project
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 8 02:50:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005263090133667 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar