Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
icon5.gif  Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:32 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone was aware of some sort of standalone TV-Tuner/kit that might be (cheaply) available? I've tried searching Jaycar's site (briefly) and couldn't find anything that's likely to do the trick..

Essentially what I'm after is something that acts purely as a source, preferrably with a composite (red/yellow/white) RCA output.. Say for watching TV via a projector or another similar display setup.

Does any such thing exist?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A VCR?
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything smaller?

I don't really want it to intrude on space much if possible, and I don't currently have a VCR, so unless you can find me a REALLY small VCR that's also cheap...?

At the end of the day though, if that's the only available option then that's the only available option.. I was mainly just interested to see if my other idea would have been possible or not..
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a digital set top box? You can get really small ones these days.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm.. possibly not a bad idea that one! I'll have to look into them a bit more re: how they work and prices etc.. but it could be an OK option if they're affordable enough.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just shop around. I paid about $190 for mine which is just a no name brand and its only standard def but it does the job.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Mon, 24 January 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a lenoxx (name?) box from hardly normal for about $170 - does SD digital and normal analog, numerous outputs (composite, svideo, SCART, ...), is working with a 30yr old antenna leaning up against back of house (e.g. about 5 foot off the ground) - works and sounds pretty good for a cheapo.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Tue, 25 January 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Digital is definately the go. There's no point wasting a projector with a crappy analogue signal, plus the sound is so much better on digital it's not funny.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Tue, 25 January 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not actually a projector, I was just using that as an example..

Bought an LCD monitor on Sunday that has video inputs, so I was thinking of plugging in a tuner of some sort to use it as a TV. Stupid me didn't realise there's actually an optional TV Tuner Plugin for it from the factory, so I've found and ordered one of those now instead. Very Happy

Came to a grand total of $69 + postage too, so it was a damn site cheaper than the other options Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2005 10:37]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Tue, 25 January 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What LCD did you get?
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Electronics guys - Are there any TV tuner kits out there? Wed, 26 January 2005 08:37 Go to previous message
Samsung SyncMaster - Just a little 15"er..

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/display/samsun g_151mp_lcd/

I'm pretty happy with it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:USB Flash Drives
Next Topic:WOW! All you guys that thought talking a girl into bed with you was difficult...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 05:34:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065209865570068 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.