Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 16 May 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 10:35

Looking very good mate! Smile interesting about joining the chassis rails up.. hmm tempting to do this also.

Im also going to weld 35mm angle (3mm thick) down the length of the sill, then weld in 35mm box tube between the chassis rail and the sill in a Z pattern down the length of the sill.
Should stiffen things up quite a bit without too much added weight.

Stefan wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 23:09

Looking good! How much did the noltec coilover bits cost, and have you got camber tops yet?
The technotoyotuning ones are MUCH cheaper than the noltec ones, and possibly better.

The Noltec coilover kit (sleeves, nuts, top hat & spanners) was $300.
I cant see them on the T3 website?
I dont know how they could be cheaper anyway... postage will add quite a few $$s.
  Send a private message to this user    
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The Noltec coilover kit (sleeves, nuts, top hat & spanners) was $300.
I cant see them on the T3 website?
I dont know how they could be cheaper anyway... postage will add quite a few $$s.

I meant the cambertops - $170usd + $9usd postage.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 17 May 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 09:15

I meant the cambertops - $170usd + $9usd postage.

Ahhh.
Yeh, i havnt got a set yet, but i sent an email off to T3 about them today.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 17 May 2005 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 15:55

Cleaning up the seams for stitch welding and strengthening.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-05-13%20Engine%20Bay%20and%20Under%20Dash/dscn5109.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

Please also plate and fill the hole just above the chassis rail o nthe LHS - it was placed there at short notice to run battery cables from the boot originally, and will be weak point in an otherwise structurally sound body?!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Wed, 18 May 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 03:09

Please also plate and fill the hole just above the chassis rail o nthe LHS - it was placed there at short notice to run battery cables from the boot originally, and will be weak point in an otherwise structurally sound body?!

... He says forgetting about the bogged rust at the bottom of the suspension tower Razz

Yup, i will fix that along with filling a few other holes.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:02]

Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Wed, 18 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
looking good so far! can't wait to see it on a cruise in the near future.
Spence
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Fri, 27 May 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woot:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-05-28%20T3%20Camber%20Tops/dscn5322.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

Ill have to make some spacers and get my spring top hats machined to use them though.

For those wondering what they are... technotoytuning camber tops.
They took 6 days to arrive from the USA Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:51]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Sun, 29 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 03:50

Ill have to make some spacers and get my spring top hats machined to use them though.

When I order mine, I'm just going to buy the nice hats and save the hassle - (they can make them up to suit 65mm springs Smile ).

Are you impressed with them?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 30 May 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 16:00

I guess so.
They are pretty simple items really.

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 31 May 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 16:39

Stefan wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 16:00

I guess so.
They are pretty simple items really.

Yeah - I just meant the general build quality, finishing etc.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 31 May 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 15:46

Yeah - I just meant the general build quality, finishing etc.

Ah, in that case, they are quite impressive Smile
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Thu, 02 June 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bit more on the R&P steering...

As i said earlier, the engineer thought the R&P setup would be ok, but could be better.
So i have started modifying the engine xmemeber more to decrease the bump-steer and ackerman angles.

The main problem is the rack is too far behind the xmember.

So... a big chunk has been cut out of the xmember:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-02%20Engine%20Crossmember%20Mods/dscn5330.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

A piece of steel tube will be welded in:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-02%20Engine%20Crossmember%20Mods/dscn5335.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

This will allow the rack to be moved >15mm toward the xmember (you can see the old bolt holes):
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-02%20Engine%20Crossmember%20Mods/dscn5338.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-02%20Engine%20Crossmember%20Mods/dscn5339.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

Hopefully, moving the rack forward that 15mm or so will make it handle better.

My new Repco all metric socket set (yummy):
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-02%20Engine%20Crossmember%20Mods/dscn5340.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 09:34]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Thu, 02 June 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, that was the plan with mine exactly! Should help a lot I think.

I've actually tried something completely different and fitted a whole KE70 xmember and rack into the RA28 frontcut I have.

Means no custom rack brackets, and the rack is mounted in a nice location.

All I had to do was shave 10mm off each side of the xmember and drill new holes in it to bolt to the chassie.

I'll put a bit of angle over the sides where I cut the 10mm of metal off.

All food for thought I guess... 101 ways to skin a cat Smile

But I like what you've done to your xmember, definately a wise move I think.

Cheers
Joel
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Fri, 03 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 08:58

Hey mate, that was the plan with mine exactly! Should help a lot I think.

Great minds think alike? Wink

Quote:

I've actually tried something completely different and fitted a whole KE70 xmember and rack into the RA28 frontcut I have.

All I had to do was shave 10mm off each side of the xmember and drill new holes in it to bolt to the chassie.

So what happens with the lower control arm mounting positions?
Will they need to be moved?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Fri, 03 June 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha yes great minds do think alike Wink

I cant see any reason for the control arms having to be changed at all.. In the ae86 (same rack and xmember as ke70) at standard height there is no apparent bump steer at all. When you lower them it does present itself but with the use of roll centre adjusters this can be overcome.

The inner control arms on the ke70 xmember sit a bit higher than the ta23 ones, so the actual angle of the arm in a lowered celica should be very close to the original angle in a factory ride height ke70/ae86 .. So i'm guessing might not even need RCA's. Or if so just very small ones.

I cant wait to actually try it. I'm getting tempted to chuck it straight into the RA28 and weld some mounts onto it for the 3tgte just to see how it all feels.

It will increase the track at the front, as the ae86 does have a wider track. But well my rear track is wider now with the corona diff anyway so it all ends up the same. Also with my current setup using just the ke70 rack and ta23 I had to increase the track to get rid of the bump steer (but as you've worked out using a ae82 rack doesn't have this problem).

Cheers
Joel
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Fri, 03 June 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow... so it does all work out quite well then.
Sounds like the easier option for anyone wanting to change to R&P in the future.

Make sure you take a few photos of the KE70 rack installed at some point Smile
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 28 June 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another update...

One of the 40x40 3mm square tubes ready to be welded in.
Took me a long time to get both into the right shape:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-28%20Chassis%20Strengthening/dscn5422.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

A T3 camber top in place:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-28%20Chassis%20Strengthening/dscn5426.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

The engine crossmember back in.
Easy to see the better angle of the tie-rod now:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-28%20Chassis%20Strengthening/dscn5429.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

Pile o steel that will be welded between the chassis rail and sill panels:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/pic.php?pic=Car%20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New/2005-06-28%20Chassis%20Strengthening/dscn5432.jpg&x=640&y=480&cache=1

With any luck, ill start welding this weekend Smile

silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c u when i c u mark, but now viewing what you are talking to me about puts a few pictures worth a few thousand words. good work. it all looks very thorough and well done.
greg Wink
FantomCka
Regular

February 2005
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Sat, 27 August 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wikid stuff....
keep up the updates....
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Sun, 28 August 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt there will be too many more updates for a while now...

Ill be heading OS for ~12months in a few weeks time Very Happy
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 27 September 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude... just wondering if you had any problems using the crown hubs??? and difficulties mounting etc??

keep up the good work, will be a beast to see in action Cool
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 27 September 2005 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 22:38

hey dude... just wondering if you had any problems using the crown hubs??? and difficulties mounting etc??

None... the crown hubs bolt straight on problems.
I had to get the brake rotors redrilled to match the 5x114.3, but thats an obvious thing that needs to be done.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Tue, 27 September 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any idea what year model crown the hubs are off? MS65 was the model code didn't ya say?
high_card_ace
Regular

April 2005
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 10 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey your overclockers site doesn't work atm....cos ur overseas?
your car loks awesome, its obvious you're doing everything well and building a beast. The brakes and suspension look very hot. Are you definitely going to put a 1uz in? or you still not sure about the engine?
I'm very interested in this GT hatch release mechanism...i never knew they existed. Can you explain it and maybe send pics?
catch
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Wed, 16 November 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
high_card_ace wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 15:21

hey your overclockers site doesn't work atm....cos ur overseas?
your car loks awesome, its obvious you're doing everything well and building a beast. The brakes and suspension look very hot. Are you definitely going to put a 1uz in? or you still not sure about the engine?
I'm very interested in this GT hatch release mechanism...i never knew they existed. Can you explain it and maybe send pics?
catch

Ooops, didnt notice this question.

The photos are still there, i think the URL has changed though.
Try this:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/?l=Car %20Work/Mine/Celica%20RA28%20New

Yup, the 1UZ is sill the plan, and if i have the $$s, ill be looking for a VVTI 1UZ Evil or Very Mad

The GT hatch release replaces the 1/2 of the latch thats bolted to the car, runs a cable back to the side of the drivers seat where the lever is located.
I dont have any pics of it, and cant take any since now i am OS (Canada).
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 28 November 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.. i just picked up a crap load of parts for my car, among them corona struts, hilux calipers, and crown hubs... although i've found that i got MS85 hubs instead of MS65... is there gonna be a huge issue with these?? and with the corona struts can you uss the whole lower half of the strut? or do you have to get the strut bottom (the cast part) removed from the strut sleeve?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 28 November 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 18:35

hey guys.. i just picked up a crap load of parts for my car, among them corona struts, hilux calipers, and crown hubs... although i've found that i got MS85 hubs instead of MS65... is there gonna be a huge issue with these??

Yup, the bearings are the wrong size.
There is a reason why the MS65 hubs are rare...

Quote:

and with the corona struts can you use the whole lower half of the strut? or do you have to get the strut bottom (the cast part) removed from the strut sleeve?

Whole lower half.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Mon, 28 November 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 07:34

Yup, the bearings are the wrong size.
There is a reason why the MS65 hubs are rare...

crap... no good, don't suppose you'd know whether it's a case of the MS85 hub is too small rather then too large... IE able to be machined to fit the bearings??
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Wed, 30 November 2005 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea.
Get the bearing part number and then specs for the MS85 hub bearings and see what the differences are.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Thu, 01 December 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i already got the problem solved, gotta send the stub axle, bearings, and hubs to the engineering shop, and they can arcspray, then remachine the bearing faces to suit... about the discs, did you get blank rotors from DBA? or re-drill the rotor leaving existing holes?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: MWP's 1UZ RA28 Celica (lots of photos!) Thu, 01 December 2005 20:39 Go to previous message
One new hole, slotted the other 4.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Andy's White AE86 with pic of new rims.
Next Topic:My KE10
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:05:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091209411621094 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.