Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goddamn ! thanks CelicaRA45 Smile

now.. crap... gotta get a suitable dipstick Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will have 2 buy a sw20 94 model onwards also the water and oil pumps are different from this model onwards
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awww damn, not what i wanted to hear Sad

ah well Razz price I pay for ignorance.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a na motor or turbo and do you have a head for this as well,to go with the block
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an st185(1990) 3sgte, I had planned on putting the rebuilt 3sgte head onto the new block.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alrighty, managed to get pics of the front of both blocks for comparison.

3SGTE BLOCK - ST185
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/3sblock/frontgte.jpg

UNKNOWN 3SGE BLOCK
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/3sblock/frontge.jpg

Cheers,
James
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 16 March 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front looks similar.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use the Gen 2 oil pump on the Gen 3 block, in fact you have to if you want to use the Gen 2 sump. Apparently the 5S late model engines in the US came with an oil pump that is around 10% higher volume plus runs a smaller pulley so higher volume again and a direct replacement for the Gen 2 pump.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel kicks himself for purchasing a brand new gen 2 pump.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah I ordered the Gen 3 3sge removable windage tray today to put in my 2S sump.

For $60 I think its easier than trying to cut out the 3sgte one and weld into the 2s one.

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use a normal gen 2 oil pump but if you are turboing it i would use the gt4 out of the st185 celica ,its a high volume oil pump ,also if you are going to the steel sump
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got a st185 oil pump
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep my post was assuming using turbo pumps as well, other than the 5S one which is higher volume than the Gen3 which is in turn higher volume than the Gen2 turbo pumps.
off-road
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From pics block has no boss for banjo fitting for turbo feed. Does this mean its NA ? Does it also mean squirter bosses are not factory?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its an N/A block.. ill have to source the turbo oil feed from somewhere, most likely the pressure sensor bung.

Oil squirters... I'm not sure, possibly factory as I didn't order the block to have them machined in.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gen 4 and 5 oil pumps are higher volume again to suit the vvti and the oil squirters as well i sold 1 to off road in alice springs from memory
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your loven this threed arn't you glenn Smile

i think a few of you guy are geting confused and geting in the hot tub with your 3s blocks and given it some of your man oil squirters (ok so now im stealing from rob_p00 )

Allan
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with my 3Sge block the holes were there too, but i had to tap in a thread and drill through into the oil gallery as they are just part of the casting, also with the oil going to the head, the ST205 metal head gasket has quite a restriction already and my head has quite large drains in too.

How exactly are you going to do a crank angle sensor/direct fire coil system off the front? I will be doing something similar too. What are the custom discs about? Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys I am totally confused about this engine angle now...

I spent some time on it tonight. With the engine mounted around 10 degrees to the exhaust side the gearbox sits perfectly flat.

This angle also means the 2S sump bowl sits flat.

If I try and straighten the engine up so it fits flat. The gearbox is totally screwed.

The hole for the gearstick is going to need to be enlarged on the driver side as the angle on the box makes the stick want to hit the driver side of the hole.

You cant try and centre the stick as this would twist the engine so its not straight.

I cannot work out how some of you have mounted the engine flat? It just seems like it has to sit 10degrees to the exhaust side.

I know Glenn has sat his on the angle? and i've got some pics of a rwd 3sgte in US and it also sits on the exhaust side.

For the people who have straightened it up? (Justen, Gabe, Cool1?) how'd you get the gear stick to come up somewhere sensible or did you have to enlarge the hole?

Very confused...
I need to look at a SA63/2S engine as I bet it's gotta lean to the exhaust side also.

As for the discs on the cams.. Gabe turned me up 2 discs, one will have 4 lugs and that will be the crank angle signal for the autronic. 4 lugs as the cam is only spinning 1/2 crank speed. So really it is same as 2 pickups on the crank.

The other one will have 1 lug for the autronics reference signal. This only has to be cam speed so only 1 lug.

Cheers
Joel
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to cut the transmission tunnel on my Sprinter a fraction.
Having said that my engine looks to be mounted around 2 inches further back than yours Joel.
I also used the 'rear most' shifter position.

This may be different to you Celica boys as the tranny tunnels mat differ.

The bellhousing I used (I am confused now as to which one I have), places the starter on the drivers side and puts the gearbox on the same plane as the engine. So because my engine is on a 9 degree lean, so is the gearbox.

The engine is at the correct lean when the oil filler cap is flat, I think it is around 24 degrees from memory, but thats not possible for us RWD boys.

Gabe

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 10:39]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Gabe. With the gearstick hole..

I meant that the problem isn't forward/reward position of the gearstick, its when the engine sits flat, the gearstick ends up on the driver side of the hole and not the centre of the hole.

The 2S bellhousing I have has the starter on the exhaust side.

Maybe this is the problem I am having. 2S bellhousing causing issues.

I think the 2S must lean to the exhaust side as the bottom of the 2s sump isn't flat either and that would indicate it is designed to be on an angle.

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, interesting....

When I did the first install, I did it with a 2S bellhousing.
Then swapped to my current bellhousing. Same engine mounts and gearbox mount was used, it was a direct swap. So I doubt thats your issue....

FWIW my shifter is also closer to the drivers side too....

Gabe
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh all very confusing.. I'd like to see why some are able to have engine sitting flat and some have to have it leaning on exhaust side. There has to be a difference somewhere.

So Gabe if your stick is closer to the driver side of the hole, that indicates the gearbox isn't on the same angle as the engine right?

Its as though there is a 10 degree offset or something in the bellhousing so the engine and gearbox can not sit flat together.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely random thought, but i wonder if Gabe is using a transaxle bellhousing (if it bolts up). No idea if it would actually work, but the bellhousings that i know of which put the starter on the intake side are transaxle ones from MR2s (E51s, E58s etc).

Random thought, probably totally irrelevant.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'm starting to think the fix here is to find another bellhousing.

I was talking to Fraser cars in NZ and they use 1S bellhousings and the engine and gearbox sit on the same angle.

But the Y bellhousings sound good as moves starter to driver side.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 06:58

I was talking to Fraser cars in NZ and they use 1S bellhousings and the engine and gearbox sit on the same angle.

Thats the bellbousing I am using.
I had a friend ship one over from NZ.

My engine and box are definately both flat together, well very close to it. I only eyeballed them, didn't take measurements or anything.

The output shaft of the gearbox is in the centre of the transmission tunnel, but due to the 9 degree tilt of everything, the shifter is over to one side.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Gabe you have titled the engine over to the inlet side to help oil drain?

Sorry i more meant.. have you purposely titled the engine over to the inlet side 9degrees?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 23:33]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a mate who works in Toyota over in NZ. He is trying to chase me up a 2Y bellhousing now.

This probably will be a good thing as moves starter motor and clutch to the inlet side of the engine. More room for turbo/dump pipe etc.

Anyone know what starters to use with the 2Y bellhousings? As I heard they can interfer with the steering column.

Cheers
Joel
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to get some clarity on this lean you're talking about. Does this lean have the exhaust side lower than the intake side or the other way around. From your description of the lean to the exhaust side it sounds like you're saying the exhaust side is lower.

In my MR2 the engine leans over towards the intkae side so looking at the engine from the crank pulley the blobk is tilted anti clockwise.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the exhaust side is sitting lower than inlet side.

So looking at front of engine it is on a clockwise lean.
Which is the opposite of what you want as all the drains are on the inlet side of the head.

I reckon a 2S must be designed by toyota so the exhaust side sits lower than inlet side. Because the sump is designed so the bottom of the bowl is flat when tilted 10 degrees to exhaust side.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmmm... 1S bellhousing seems promising

I'm curious as to which flywheel/clutch combination everyone use using. I was thinking I would just get a custom flywheel made up Razz
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 07:31

So Gabe you have titled the engine over to the inlet side to help oil drain?

Sorry i more meant.. have you purposely titled the engine over to the inlet side 9degrees?

Roger that. 9 degrees on purpose.

Must admit I am a little confused on the tilting issue. The oil drains are on the inlet side of the head. This means you want the inlet side lower, as per factory.

If the exhaust side is lower, oil will pool around the exhaust cam.

Gabe

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2005 01:44]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im guessing that the 2S has an internal oil drain on the exhaust side of the head then.

As i see it you have three options:
1. Lean back Intake wards
2. Weld a bung between 2&3cyl on the head for an exhaust side oil drain
3. Leave as is and cross fingers

Hopefully thats a good summary
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think i'm best to find a bellhousing that allows the engine to at least sit flat. Preferably like Gabe's setup and lean it over slightly to the inlet side to assist oil drain.

But my current combo is the worst possible as oil is going to be pooling really badly around the head as there isn't any drains on exhaust side. Its not viable to fit it flat with this bellhousing I have as the gearstick will be pointing at the drivers seat.

I'm running a custom made flywheel by Glenn in Melbourne. It sits futher away from the block so there should be no issues with the clutch thrust bearing.

Hopefully can turn up a 2Y bellhousing and get it all back on track Smile

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just run the 2s and put the drain between no 2 and 3 like in my pics also dont forget i raced these to 8000 and never had a problem
also i have 1 spare crom moly f/wheel for sale to fit 3sg rwd ,and there is no difference to the 1s against the 2s they both lean to the exhaust side even the flywheel is the same but the gear box is a t50 against the w58 models
also the altezza 3sge motors lean the same amount and if you notice most 2tg and 18rg are the same
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I thought that would be the case that all these engines do just lean on the exhaust side.

But seems some people are managing to get theirs sitting up straight with 2S parts which doesn't make a lot of sense.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't you just bend the lower part of the shifter to get it coming up more centrally when you straighten the engine?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 March 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
straightening the motor isnt the problem ,its making a bracket for the gear box xmember as its out of wack .
you could always cut the bellhousing and move it around and reweld
gear box stays and you could sraighten the motor, fixes every thing
it would have to be cut 90mm back to where it bolts to the motor thou
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 23 March 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well not much of an update.. But Wilbo666 has kindly sold me a 3Y bellhousing for a very good price.

I'm hoping this will sit engine and gearbox at the same angle.

Advantage is the starter will be on the inlet side also along with the clutch fork. Should make more room for the turbo side of things.

Once I get this I can get back into getting the engine mounts on the xmember setup and it all bolted in.

logic
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 24 March 2005 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i141.exs.cx/img141/1426/ae86rhd187lt.jpg

this ones leaned over to the exaust side
KinLoud
Newcomer

September 2004
Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 30 March 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a gen3 3SGE out of a 1995 ST206 Curren (basically a 2 door coupe version of the ST204 Celica). My racecar is a 3 door 1983 Carina (rwd, irs, 4 wheel disk) basically the same as the rwd celica or supra of the same age, but different panels (looks a bit like ST141 corona from the front).
My gen3 3sge has the squirters as standard. This is why your new block has the squirter holes. Talk to your supplier as they would have removed the squirters when they prepared the block.
I'm using a C motor to W gearbox bellhousing.
Spigot bearing issues - either:
1 - mill the bellhousing so the input shaft will fit into the crank
2 - use a wider bearing that sticks out a bit from the crank (NSK 62201, 32mmOD, 12mmID, 14mm wide) you might need a 5 mm spacer to stop the bearing from going too far into the crank.
EDIT - just wandered out to the garage and bolted my spare W57, C/S bellhousing to a 3sge block... input shaft for this combo sticks about 7mm into the crank. The above bearing without spacer would stick out about 2.5mm meaning about 9.5mm overlap between pilot bearing and input shaft. I don't think the spacer is really needed.
Hmmmmm - I wonder if some W gearboxes have different length input shafts?
3 - put some tight fitting steel tube onto the end of the input shaft to extend it into the crank, use a bearing with a bigger internal diameter.

My 3sge tilts slightly towards the exhaust due to the 1S engine mounts I'm using. The gen3 head and cam cover is much more open so oil is more free to flow to the big drain ports on the intake side.
I have altered the steel part of the 2 piece sump (standard on the gen3) so it has more volume and the bottom sits level with the engine installed.
Finally, I will be using an accusump (google this) to reduce the chance of oil starvation on the racetrack.

Ken Evans
Hamilton
New Zealand

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 00:15]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info mate.

A little update on mine.. I got the Y series bellhousing, to my disappointment though the gearbox still doesn't sit on the same angle as the engine. So with engine straight, gearbox is off.

Have to decide now if I just leave the engine leaning to exhaust side. Or cut the bellhousing in half and rotate it. I'm thinking the 2nd option is better.

One question for the people who have used Y bellhousings, what starter motor did you use? I noticed the 2S doesn't bolt up.

Cheers
Joel
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My input on starters....
Due to the Y bellhousing being used with a smaller flywheel, if you are using a GTE flywheel or a custom one of the same size, no starter will 'bolt' up.

I used a 2S starter which is good because it sits nice and close up against the block. One hole in the bellhousing needs to be slotted though. I welded up the hole and re drilled it to be safe.

This is info I have discovered along the way so it may be a little inaccurate, feel free to correct me!

Gabe

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info Gabe! hmm but based on that.. i'm going to start thinking of sticking with the 2S bellhousing. I mainly grabbed the Y one hoping the gearbox would sit flat along with the engine but it hasn't so maybe the 2S one is simpler as starter bolts up easy.

Decisions decisions... Confused
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone have a picture of the 3Y bellhousing?
Anyone know how many teeth the flyeheel ring gear actually has on it? (3S-GTE is a 120 tooth unit, and most of the earlier Toyota stuff used either a 115 tooth or a 106 tooth)
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can take a picture of mine if you want tonight?

So Gabe, do you move the 2S starter out away from the block, or in closer to the block to line up with the ring gear?

Thanks
Joel
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
510rob wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 11:09

Anyone know how many teeth the flyeheel ring gear actually has on it? (3S-GTE is a 120 tooth unit, and most of the earlier Toyota stuff used either a 115 tooth or a 106 tooth)

Just adding a bit here

AFAIK the Y series flywheels are the same as the M series, except they dont have the offset bolt on the crank.

I would assume the ring gear is the same as the M series, but I can check tonight if you like.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gabe,
If you snap a picture of your bellhousing and post it, that would be awesome

Cruzida,
If you could count the number of teeth that would also be a great help to me as well
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 11:46

So Gabe, do you move the 2S starter out away from the block, or in closer to the block to line up with the ring gear?

Further out away from the block. Physically larger diameter flywheel.

510rob - I can take a photo of the bellhousing but it wont be very good as it is in the car at the moment.
What part of the bellhousing are you interested in exactly
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gabe.. I'll have to revise my driver side engine mount also if I continue down the path of the Y bellhousing as it hits the back of the starter motor by like 5mm Razz

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have got special bellhousings that have clutch and starter on the drivers side but they are based on change over now as the price of these 2s 1s are dear
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of interest what do you charge for one of these if I gave my 2s bellhousing to you?
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 04 April 2005 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if either Joel or Gabe can take a picture of the Y bellhousing in the areas:
* around the dremel-modified bolt hole
* around the starter pocket
that would be awesome

I might get a Y bellhousing instead of my 2S part - I'd rather cut/hack/weld/modify something currently useless rather than something currently useful...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 12:11

510rob wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 11:09

Just adding a bit here

AFAIK the Y series flywheels are the same as the M series, except they dont have the offset bolt on the crank.

I would assume the ring gear is the same as the M series, but I can check tonight if you like.

Both M and Y flywheels I have are 115 tooth.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrrgh! Why didn't I just use that stupid 115-tooth ring gear instead of the 106-tooth from a 3K motor. That would have made life SO much easier!!!

Thanks heaps for letting me know though...

still hoping for pictures of the Y bellhousing...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gabe, in regards to the 2S starter on the Y bellhousing again..

I understand you saying the hole needs to be slotted so it can be moved away from the ring gear. But I found the 2 holes for the 2S starter in the bellhousing are not spaced correctly. Did you have to change the distance between the holes also?

Thanks
Joel
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey joel, sorry to here it didn't work out as expected! Sad

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Random/3Y%20bellhousing/Copy%20of%203ymeasure0jn.jpg

The picture is the 3Y bellhousing that I sold to joel...the crossed out measurements are the measurements joel took off his 2S bellhousing for reference. Hope thats some help to the people that are asking Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 09:28

Hey Gabe, in regards to the 2S starter on the Y bellhousing again..

I understand you saying the hole needs to be slotted so it can be moved away from the ring gear. But I found the 2 holes for the 2S starter in the bellhousing are not spaced correctly. Did you have to change the distance between the holes also?

Thanks
Joel

I did mate but not by much from memory, maybe a few mm. 5 at the most

Pictures are on my adgenda for this evening for interested parties.

In fact I will email them to you Joel and you can put them up if you want....

Gabe
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 05 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks much appriciated Smile
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
which hole is the one needing some dremel/file butchery?!?
Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:doin a turbo on a 4k
Next Topic:Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:45:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010018825531006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.