Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that picture, the top right hole needs some butchering to bolt to the block.

Not sure which one should be attacked for the starter motor.

Send a private message to this user    
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, that was quick!!!
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:49

In that picture, the top right hole needs some butchering to bolt to the block.

Not sure which one should be attacked for the starter motor.

Ummm, not on mine!

Mine required the top left hole to be sliced. By a lot too. Around 15mm from memory.

Starter motor hole doesn't matter which hole, just get the starter further away from the ring gear.

Gabe

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gabe, so on mine it is the bolt hole on the exhaust side of the bellhousing. Yours was the inlet side??
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 06 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just ran outside to double check, and yes it appears I told a porky. The exhaust side hole has been welded up and redrilled....Sorry about that!

I will email you some piccies in a sec....

Gabe
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 17 April 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could you post pictures here?!?
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 23 April 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just jumping back to your problem with the windage tray fouling the oil pickup leg... I think you have it mounted wrong.

The oil pickup pipe mounts to the oil pump directly, with the windage tray on TOP of it. (looking at the motor upside down).

Then on the other two bolts, the windage tray goes UNDER the legs for the pickup.

You've got the windage tray being sandwiched by the oil pump and the pickup pipe, which would probably leak and give you oil supply problems??

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 06:50]

rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 23 April 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, yes what you are saying is correct but, the problem which i have now fixed was that the windage tray was bulging, in as much as the shape was slightly rounder than the curve of the leg of the 2s-c pickup. What i did do though was employ my trusty die-grinder and take a little off the tray and a little off the leg, and tuck the oil leg up under the tray slot to seal against the oil port Cool

Joel, did you reuse the t-vis housing for your plenum? can't remember if i have asked you before??
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 24 April 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually referring to Joel's problem which he posts a picture of here :
http://img205.exs.cx/img205/2953/2spickupshortleg9 qd.jpg

Where you can see the oil pickup pipe is on the wrong side of the windage tray.

Did you have a similar problem?

I just picked up a spare 3SGTE yesterday that came with a 2S sump and 2S pickup.. and it all bolted nicely together with the stock 3S windage tray (when mounted correctly Razz )
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 25 April 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea it was the problem i asked about originally, weather anyone else had encountered it also with this conversion
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 15 May 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Long time no update.. But finally this weekend I found some time to have a play around with 3S again.. Been tied up lately with AE86 diff swaps, wakefield weekend, etc..

So yeah I dug out the arc welder and tacked all the engine mount brackets up. I'll get these mig'd now it is all final.

The driver side is a 2S mount cut in half as it was way too long. I took around 50mm out of the centre of the mount.

The passenger side though I scraped the idea of using the 2S mount all together as it was just in the wrong position I found and the mount on the xmember would be hanging right off the edge. If the engine had of sat forward more this wouldn't have occured but I wanted it back as far as I could.

So passenger side is made out of 5mm steel kinda made into a box section and some gussets/bracing to strengthen it all up.

On the xmember itself I used some RA28 mounts I had lying around which are the same design as the 2S mounts so that all worked out nicely. They use the 2 bolts to hold it together.

I'll have to post some pictures to show what it looks like.

After all the confusion about how I was going to mount the engine in regards to the angle.. I've mounted the engine almost flat, with a couple of degree lean over to the inlet side to assist oil drain. I'm not sure exactly what angle, but there is around 5 - 10mm difference in height measured at the top of the head. Bugger all really but I think this should be better than nothing.

The gearbox as mentioned in earlier posts doesn't sit flat, but at the moment i've just put a wedge shaped bit of metal between the gearbox rubber mount and the xmember. I'll probably have to remove a bit of metal around the hole in the tunnel for the stick as it will rub on the edge.

So now that is all bolted up i'm going to start working on enlarging the sump.

Cheers
Joel

GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 17 May 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\3STA27.jpg
hi,

Here is a pic of my conversion. Now currently making the custom headers.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 17 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to upload the pics somewhere dude.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 17 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'd like to see Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 17 May 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id also be interested to know what start motors people are using especially with the Y series bellhousing.

I am finding the 2S is too long and hits the engine mount.

Are starters fairly interchangeable, or do you require a certain amount of teeth to mesh with the ring gear?
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 18 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright ill post the pic somewhere, sorry I took up your space dude. Im using a starter of a 1g-gte but since the original flywheel from the 3SGTE comes quite close to the block I had to make a spacer about 16~20mm to move the started outwards. Its kind of close to the mount though, but at least it does not touch. Another option I used in the beginning was to use the starter of a 4A-U from an AT141 Corona, its quite fat and the starter switch angle is close to the block and theres no need for a spacer. I didnt want to use it tho, it had a bad starting sound, like those 70's starters.

Vern
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 18 May 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey would it be too much trouble for you to measure the length of the starter? I'd like to see if its going to fit between my engine mount and bellhousing.

Also i've been playing around with ideas to enlarge the oil capacity in the sump..

I've come up with a design which gives me an extra 1.5 litres. Does everyone think that is enough to ensure there is no oiling issues on track days?

Cheers
Joel
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 18 May 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 18:13

I've come up with a design which gives me an extra 1.5 litres. Does everyone think that is enough to ensure there is no oiling issues on track days?

Combined with a remote oil filter and cooler.... Should be plenty I would have thought....

Gabe
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 26 May 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are a few pictures of the engine mounts.. As mentioned earlier all the mounts are just tacked together at the moment using the arc welder. Will hopefully pull it all out again this weekend and get welded properally..

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/4271/drivertacked3px.jpg

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/2925/passengertacked9up.jpg

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/9240/enginetackedinplace1ct.jpg
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 26 May 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Joel will the engine have a slight lean?

Another thing you might want to take into consideration is the fact that I am having problems making a decent plenum due to the engine being mounted too far back. Runner 4 will require some tricky engineering to clear the clutch master and still flow well.

If I could redo the mounting of the engine I would mount it an inch or two further forward....

Just a thought anyway....

Gabe
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 26 May 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, gabe, your problem screams one of two things at me.
1. Independent Pedal box.
2. Quad throttles.

Actually now its screaming both Evil or Very Mad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 26 May 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gabe, yeah the engine is leaning a few degrees to the inlet side/driver side. So this should help oil drain.

I'm not sure of the exact angle, but the top of the head sits about 5-10mm lower on the inlet side.

I think the RA28 has a bit more room around the brake booster/clutch area but will see how I go with manifolds. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 26 May 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gabe, do you have any pics or diagrams of your inlet manifold ideas?

I've got the original st205 manifold.. I'm thinking of cutting this off along the runners, putting some velocity stacks/bellmounts onto the end of the runners then just using some large tube for a plenum..

Not sure about 2 things.. I've read conflicting information about bellmouths protruding right up inside the plenum.. Seems great for NA cars (3sge beams inlet manifold for example has the bellmouths almost on the roof of the plenum).

But i've heard in forced applications the bellmouths are best on the base of the plenum being welded to the bottom of it and the only protruding part is the lip kinda. This is due to the stacks coming up inside the plenum cause bad turbulance with forced induction.

Also other thing is tapering the plenum from being larger around no1, and getting smaller to no4.. Unsure if there is some rule of thumb here on how much volume you take out of it between no1 and no4.

Cheers
Joel
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 27 May 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what i've come to find (research) the design of forced induction plenums isnt overly important due to the sheer pressure and velocity of the air being put through. Short runners and a reasonable plenum volume seems to be the go.

NA on the other hand is where the whole tapered plenum seems benifical so that the air is spread across the runners evenly.

You prob know all this but i thought id try and contribute something here. Very Happy

Cheers

Nathan
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 27 May 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nathan thanks for that mate.. Yeah i've heard similar things that turbo inlet manifold doesn't have to be as well designed as NA..
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 27 May 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo plenums

sr20det
http://www.capa.com.au/pics/capa_performance_intake_plenum_sr20.jpg

rb26dett
http://www.wheelspin.com.au/catalog/images/GTR_intake_plenum.jpg

they don't seem like they have had alot of thought put into them. On that note but they both are tapered down towards runner 4...function or style?

and then in contrast to my previous comments this 4age20v looks like a soup tin hanging off of it?!

http://www.elprototypes.com/web%20pics/20v&4e/MVC-015S.JPG

now plenums are confusing me?!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 27 May 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is my current 3TGTE one that does a very good job.

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/8751/engineincar6uv.jpg

GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 27 May 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This could be a stupid or a bright idea but i thought of leaving the original intake manifold on. I know it would foul the bonet but I was wonderin how would the car look if I made a cowl, something like the jza70 but raised up about 2 inches. It would look like a muscle celica!! Very Happy anybody got pics of it being done on a *A27/*A28? Cheers

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 01 June 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i've fallen into the trap of moving the goal posts a bit.. I had the ta23 xmember all finished with engine mounts and rack n pinion on it.

Now i've decided to scrap that and have fitted a AE86 xmember into the RA28.

The main advantage of this is the rack mounts are already there in position. But also the inner control arm pivot points sit quite a bit higher than the ta23 so should be able to do away with roll centre adjusters.

So now I need to get stuck back into redoing the engine mounts.

Also the ae86 xmember doesn't bend around quite as much as the ta23 one does. This looks like it could interfer with the sump unless i move the engine forward quite a bit.

Gabe, mate might need to talk to you more about one of those alloy sumps.

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 01 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 19:44

Gabe, mate might need to talk to you more about one of those alloy sumps.

No worries mate, I have the design of mine ready to go. Even if you needed it changed a little, that shouldn't be too hard.

On the plenum note, I will get some pictures of where mine is at as soon as I can, be warned though, have some tissues handy! Wink
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 01 June 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What'd you need from me to get it started?

I cant see why anything would need to be changed really as now i'm using ae86 xmember should be very similar to yours. But if you think there is anything I should be checking let me know.

Do you think there would be much benefit having some small wings on the side?

Let me know how we proceed.. PM me if need to discuss money details Smile

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 13 June 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all, here is a quick update...

I finished modifying the KE70 cross member to fit into the RA28. Appears to fit really well! I wish I had of done this first time around with my rack n pinion conversion... So much easier.

Here are some pictures of the modified xmember.

http://img67.echo.cx/img67/6069/xmemberke701qm.jpg

http://img67.echo.cx/img67/8568/xmemberke70underside9fo.jpg

I have to now redo the engine mounts. I'm changing the design here a bit, especially on the inlet side and i'm not using that huge plate I had. I'm going to pickup on some threaded holes closer to the front of the engine.

Cheers
Joel
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 13 June 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what did ya do basically trim the width evenly each side till it fit the ra28? plus the reinforcing you have on the bolt edges?

Should make rack and pinion angles alot easier to get done.

Nice work

Cheers

Nathan
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 13 June 2005 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh... thats what you meant by using the angle.
Looks like itll do the job quite nicely.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 20 June 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought i would add some pics of a different type of winged sump.
This has hinged flaps, sortof like trapdoors to limit the oil slosh.

http://gallery.plebeians.net/albums/sparky_rebuild/IMG_0008_001.thumb.jpghttp://gallery.plebeians.net/albums/sparky_rebuild/IMG_0005_003.thumb.jpg

Of course this one is pretty old and battered around:
http://gallery.plebeians.net/albums/sparky_rebuild/IMG_0003_002.thumb.jpghttp://gallery.plebeians.net/albums/sparky_rebuild/IMG_0009_001.thumb.jpg

I think thats what the sump on my 4AG will be like in the end.
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 21 June 2005 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about inlet, plenum, bellmouths etc.

why would design be so different between turbo and NA applications?
NA airflow, and a compressed charge will still follow the same basic flow dynamics (turbulance, low/high pressure areas and including flow into runners)

taken from bill sherwoods website.

For those of you lucky enough to be able to have proper inlet trumpets, you can improve the flow into those by fitting a flat plate just behind the trumpet 'bell' and rounding off the bell so that it smoothly blends into the flat plate. The reason is that most of the air comes in the trumpet from the sides on the induction stroke rather than in line from the front as you'd expect, so if the airflow has to pass over sharp lip of the trumpet it will generate turbulence. If it has a nice, smooth bump to go over then little turbulence will be generated.

and picture,
http://www.billzilla.org/inman.jpg

I also read there are some rules about bellmouth location inside the plenum (from another source (not bill)-- but ime guessing bills 'flat plate' behind the bellmouths would be the plenum wall. not sure yet, more reading required.)

I need to know this and plenum design (if the funky narrowing of plenum near cyl4 has function) and capacity for a 1.8litre ITB enabled Turbocharged engine Smiley =
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 23 June 2005 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great to see some more progress Joel. The corolla crossmember is a great idea, shame you only thought of it now.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys in August.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 27 June 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you or anyone heard on how to overcome the oil retension problems in the head that come from standing the motor upright in the bay?
I believe that there is also an issue with air locks in the cooling system for the same reason. I have put one of the engines in my AE86 but custom made the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
Cheers
Mark
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 27 June 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Anthony good to hear from you! Yeah the corolla xmember seems to work nicely. In theory anyway! Haven't tried driving with it yet.

With oiling... I don't see this being a huge problem. I am going to increase the sump by an extra 1 - 2 litres incase some oil does get stuck up in the head this will ensure there is still plently in the sump. If it proves to be a real problem i'll add some extra oil drains on the exhaust side of the head.

The gen 3 head seems to have quite large oil drains on the inlet side. I am tilting the engine a few degrees this way also so oil will slowly drain back down.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 19 July 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all.. finally done the engine mounts on the ke70 xmember.

I've changed things quite a bit.. The driver side mount now is mounted on 4 holes, close to the front of the engine.

The whole thing is custom really. Gave up on trying to use mixed bits n pieces.

The rubber mounts are AE86.

I still need to clean up the welds and shape the mounts so they are a bit more pleasing on the eye. But you get the idea.

Getting to be a bit of an expert with the welder now Smile

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/3950/driverenginemountke70xmember7i.jpg

Once the mounts are cleaned up a bit and painted i'll move onto the manifolds.

Cheers
Joel
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 20 July 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like a heap better solution.

good work! Surprised
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 20 July 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its good to see the conversion coming along Joel.
I'd suggest trying to weld the 2 angles together where they're mounted to the block for better strength.
Might save the edges of the holes you've used from busting out sideways at a later point & to spread the load.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 20 July 2005 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good Joel,

I would tend to agree with Steve though. By putting a plate between the angles you will prevent the angles trying to lever out the bolts. It will just take a bit of load off the bolts and the bosses in the block. It may not need it, but while you have the welder out you may as well.

Putting the plate either above or below the angles is fine just make sure you have spanner access to all bolts.

Anthony
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 21 July 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys for those suggestions. I'll work something out there.

The main reason for using the 2x angles, and not just a flat bit of metal is the bolt holes for the front 2, and rear 2, are at different angles. So using the 2 bits of angle got around that problem. I'll have to think about how I can join them together.
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 21 July 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good dude
what did you do about the mount on the exhaust side? have you offset that as well?

im planning to also put a 3sgte into my corolla, so have just been working my way through the thread figuring out what the best mounting system is.

- David
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 21 July 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 10:13

I'll have to think about how I can join them together.

http://users.tpg.com.au/nbdean/driverenginemountke70xmember7i.jpg

maybe a plate ontop? done in a way to still give you bolt access?

even under the bracket also ...? just an idea ?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 21 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes that could work. Under the bracket would be nice so can get to bolts easy.

Oh yeah and today I got some sheet metal cut and bent into shape. Basically its a big box that will go around the bowl of the sump and give it quite a nice increase in capacity.

Will post pics when I get home tonight.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 22 July 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sump takai posted is very similar design to mine.

I think i might copy that trap door idea too.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 22 July 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've made a set similar to these but used landcruiser rubber mounts, I will mail them to anyone who wants em as I don't know how to attatch them to this message (I'm a mechanic, not bright but can fix big dump trucks) cause I'm computer inept. I also have pics of the gearbox mount along with a rough drawing for anyone interested.
Cheers
Mark
blackers@warp1.com.au
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 24 July 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all, I started on the new sump design over the weekend. Mocked up this box that as you can see in the pictures will
give quite a good increase in oil capacity.

I haven't decided yet what to do about baffling. Not sure if I should go to the trouble of trap doors, or just
leave some of the original sump sides intact so they will act as baffles stopping the oil sloshing from side to side so
much.

Anyways.. Here are some pictures. The box is just tac'd together for now. Will get it tig'd during the week and then
work on cutting away the base and sides of the original sump.

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/381/sumpboxfront5wv.jpg

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/9226/sumpboxinside1cq.jpg

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/525/sumpboxonenginedside3dk.jpg

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/4421/sumpboxonenginefront8fz.jpg

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/568/sumpboxonengineunderside4aa.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 24 July 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blackers, would like to get those pictures.. email to joel_fitzgerald@hotmail.com thanks!

Oh yeah just noticed in those pics looks like there is not much clearence around the sump.. But pics are just wrong...

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a rough idea of how the turbo and inlet may sit.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6203/enginewithtrialinletandturbo0o.jpg
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man this thing is awesome. Some great engineering taking place here :)good to see.

I have a question for you 3s-gte guys. In my zoom mag im browsing it quotes the power as 165kw@6000 rpm and torque at 304nm@3200rpm. Is that torque figure correct or what?
Cheers
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

My bar stays harder, longer

Laughing
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking fantastic joel!

Isn't it great when you have to fabricate everything Razz It's looking good though!

Cheers
Wilbo
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
may i ask why you didnt just throw more money into the 3tgte and make it a LOT more powerful? I know 3sgte is supposedly a lot better motor...but a 3t is still a good motor for power Smile
SPYDER.UK
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 30 July 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there from rain soaked ENGLAND. I have just completed a RWD Gen3 3SGE conversion for my kit car, a Clubmans type. This thread has been very helpful. The 3sge is very rarely converted to RWD in Blighty due partly to a lack of suitable gearboxes/bellhousings and mainly due to the easy availability of Vauxhall and Ford Zetec 16v engines. My kit was originally fitted with a 2TG-T50 combination.The T50 box is an absolute peach and this made me determined to keep it. So the story begins.
I couldn't locate a 2s bellhousing so decided to use the 2t original.Two bolt holes lined up which gives a starting point.The dowels and bolt holes had to be redrilled using the 3SGE back plate as a template. Then the 3s flywheel wouldn't fit inside.More machining.Then the input shaft fell short of the spigot bearing in the end of the crank.So 5mm was machined off the front face.
Then I had to source a suitable clutch plate.Throwout bearing was fine.New engine mounts were fabricated.And an alloy alternator mount moving it to the left lower position.And an adaptor plate to enable the 2T starter motor to be used.It mounts 15mm further forward and 6mm further from the centreline of the engine to mesh properly with the 3s flywheel.The cam cover was reprofiled to keep it under the bonnet.I machined an adaptor plate from solid to allow the original twin Solexes from the 2TG to be used on the standard 2TG manifold.Then the distributor wants to punch a hole in the firewall so I have fitted a HYPERPACK Direct Fire ignition system from NZ.It uses four superbike plug cap ignition coils.Recommended to anyone cotemplating carbs on a 3SGE.The rear water take off pipe has been shortened and turned through 90 degrees.
Then a RWD exhaust was sorted and the oil cooler thingummy removed and blanked off.And the dipstick relocated.And most of the water pipes removed.
After the inevitable teething troubles it's working fine if a little asthmatic at high revs.It pulls like a train up to 5500 then fades away a bit just when it should get interesting.My arse dyno estimates around 150bhp. Thats around 110kw.
My latest project should get back up to the standard 173bhp/127kw for this engine.It involves yet more machined aluminium and a set of four 42mm MIKUNIs from a Honda Blackbird superbike.These are straight through throats at full throttle, just like a set of throttle bodies, only cheaper. Fitting superbike carbs is the latest thing on the UK kit car scene.Some people are fitting superbike throttle bodies to keep the EFI setup.
Various pics can be viewed at:

http://ntlworld.photobox.co.uk/album/album.html?c_ album=1460235

The last pic shows a drastically shortened Gen3 3SGE EFI inlet manifold for a RWD conversion.It puts the throttle body at the front.
I no longer need it if anyone is interested?
Email for details.
Next will be sump mods.
Thanks again for an excellent thread.I hope my contribution gives heart to any would be RWD convertors. It can be done,no problem is too big...even for a pom!
GEOFF the kit car nut.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 08 August 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all.. thanks for comments.

Reason for not continuing with the 3TGTE was a few reasons.. But overall i'm just not impressed with these engines. 4agte engines (1.6ltr vs 1.8ltr 3t) seem to make more power easier/less boost than the 3t and are such a nicer engine to drive.

I didn't feel I could do a lot more with mine.. Last dyno run was close to 170rwkw that was on 21psi of boost or so. All internals are strong.. Custom manifolds etc.. What more do you do?

I'm hoping the 3sgte will make similar power figures but with less boost.

I also wanted to move away from the chain driven 8v engine and get something more modern.

But yeah its a big job the 3S so if you are after an easy swap definately stick with the 3T.

I've mocked up some designs for the inlet manifold now..

Basically i've cut the runners back, putting a 12mm thick piece of alloy over them and shaping some nice bellmouth entries into the runners. 12mm gives enough meat to get a nice shape to them.

I wanted to work with the idea of the bellmouth radius being twice the size of the runner (44mm, so belllmouth radius of 88mm) but space limits are not going to allow that.. Everything seems to be a bit of a compromise.

Anyway the bellmouth radius will end up around 70mm. Decided to steer clear of internal bellmouths protruding into the plenum chamber as i've found a lot more information against this in a forced induction engine. Seems a good thing for NA though. The only advantage I see adding internal protruding bellmouths is longer runners = more low down torque.

The plenum is 360mm long and 90mm wide.. 70mm height over the top of the 4th runner and tapering up to the 1st runner of around 90mm in height. This is around a 20% volume decrease in size between 1st and 4th runner. Bit of a stab in the dark here as seems very limited information on the subject.

Total volume for the plenum, not including runners and some extra area around the throttle body i'll add in is 2.6ltrs approx. So probably end up a bit over 3ltrs.

Will get some pics up of it as it progresses.

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 05:19]

t18_psi
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 09 August 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excellent work so far!!

i imagine this project is taking up a lot of your time??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 09 August 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hey SPYDER.UK , that is a great job you have done there. Thanks for sharing the info and link Smile

Cheers
Joel
Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:doin a turbo on a 4k
Next Topic:Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:33:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.013668060302734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.