Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 02:15 Go to next message
- mods, if you think this should be in members rides please move? thanks.
----

Hi all, I'm finally going to get started on my 3S-GTE conversion. I thought i'd keep a thread running with pics and information as the build up progresses. As everyone asks about RWD 3SGTE conversions at least once a week it might benifit a lot of people?

It's going to take awhile from start to finish. I'm guessing at least 6 months.

A bit of information about where i'm at so far...

ST185 block with a ST205 head.
2S bellhousing, engine mounts, starter motor, sump & pickup.
CP forged pistons - 8.5 compression, .5mm oversized.
Shot peened rods.
ARP rod bolts.
ARP headstuds.
Custom made 7.5kg flywheel (designed for RWD application).
New Genuine Toyota oil pump, water pump, timing gear(pulleys, belts, tensioners, etc).

Thats about all I have for it so far.

I'm building it all up in a RA28 frontcut (thanks Witzl!) using a TA23 xmember. I'll be converting the TA23 xmember to rack & pinion using a similar but slightly improved design that is already in my RA28.

Well here is a few pics...

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/9452/frontcutafter7me.jpg
Front cut after a good clean. Was a real mess before. Should be nicer to work on now.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/8742/3sbareblock7ac.jpg
Bare ST185 3S-GTE block. No machine work has been done yet.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/853/2ssumppickup7ct.jpg
2S sump & pickup.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/1066/2ssump3ssump7yf.jpg
2S sump on the left, 3S sump on the right. The 3S sump has much better baffling. I'm going to look at cutting some of this off and moving it over to the 2S sump.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/3444/2spickuponblock1wh.jpg
2S pickup bolted to the block. Someone mentioned there was a problem with the legs bolting up. I had no problems with this though, everything lined up fine.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/2624/2smountleft1ny.jpg
2S engine mount on the passenger side. All 4 bolts lined up perfect.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/4807/2smountright3zl.jpg
2S engine mount on the driver side. 2 of the 4 bolts lined up.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/3775/2smountrightback9mp.jpg
Here you can see the problem with the engine mount on the driver side. Will need to make some mods to the bracket or a new one. I know someone who runs a RWD 3SGE in Improved production racing. He only uses 2 of the 4 holes (with a custom mount, not the 2S one) for the engine mount and has had no problems. I cant help thinking if using 2 bolts can stand up to a race car maybe it'll be ok for a road car?

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/3339/3sheadon9wa.jpg
Just for some fun I sat the ST205 head on to make sure it fitted. Everything seems fine.

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/3216/cppistons9ku.jpg
Here are the CP forged pistons.

Well thats about it for now. At the moment its really just preperation work and nothing exciting yet.

The first job is to setup the TA23 xmember with the rack mounted and then I can bolt it into the frontcut. From there i can start working on engine mounts so the engine can be bolted in.

Does everyone think this should be under tech & conversions or it should be more a members - ride thing?

So what's everyone think so far??

Cheers
Joel

Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice pics Smile

Should be interesting to follow your conversion(i love reading tech articles on things i wish i had the money to do Razz)

I'd say it belongs in tech & conversions until the finished product is installed in your car Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great work. This needs to be made into a tech article when you're done, to save explaining it to a different person every couple of days!
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep this one's staying in tech and conversions.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have already added it to the FAQs page, along with Shane's engine mount thread Smile
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see you left out the windage tray splash plate under the pickup, this was my problem, to keep the tray and space the pickup Smile
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Priceless information there. This should definately be made into a tech article.

Reassured my curiousity about the enginemount on the drivers side.

Block looks very familiar Very Happy

Cheers,
James
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool glad everyone likes this being in tech & conversions. Its good what Cool1 did with the engine mounts write-up also as makes it all the more imformative!

Rokusan, what splash tray are you refering to? Hmm I didn't realise I left anything out... ???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 16:59

i see you left out the windage tray splash plate under the pickup, this was my problem, to keep the tray and space the pickup Smile

You must have a weird oil pickup, because my pickup fits perfect with the splash tray.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey does anyone have some pics for ideas of the water outlet out the back of the head?

I noticed the ST205 head has 2 water holes out the back of the head. The main large one and then a smaller one.

I am thinking just an alloy plate with either a very large barb fitting tapped into it, probably need to be a 90 degree barb.

My mates VR4 engine that was converted to RWD suffered the same water outlet problem the 3S does. We had a plate made on that with like a cup welded to the plate, then welded a pipe to that cap.. Hard to explain without pics.

Cheers
Joel
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used magna one
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 17:54

Hey does anyone have some pics for ideas of the water outlet out the back of the head?

I noticed the ST205 head has 2 water holes out the back of the head. The main large one and then a smaller one.

I am thinking just an alloy plate with either a very large barb fitting tapped into it, probably need to be a 90 degree barb.

My mates VR4 engine that was converted to RWD suffered the same water outlet problem the 3S does. We had a plate made on that with like a cup welded to the plate, then welded a pipe to that cap.. Hard to explain without pics.

Cheers
Joel

Joel the 205 head only has one large water outlet. I'll get some pics for you. Also can you get me on msn or 1cq. Need to get some photos from you too.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rokusan, so a magna water outlet is a close fit is it??

Here is a pic of the water outlet. See the smaller one to the left? This seems to be connected to the larger one.

http://img181.exs.cx/img181/6362/wateroutlet1bv.jpg
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the smaller one is the water feed for the turbo.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines an MR2 head, maybe it's different? Crying or Very Sad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joshstix, thanks mate that'd make sense.

I figure I should tackle the water outlet before trying to mount the engine as this will be part of determining firewall clearance.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, this is the factory 205 water outlet:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/ST205%20water%20outlet.Small/P0003463.jpg

This is what I did for my new outlet:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/ST205%20water%20outlet.Small/P0003462.jpg

Few more pics here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/ST205%20water% 20outlet.Small/
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i VERY VERY much like this thread existing.

Joel - no worries with the old car, glad to be of assistance. Sorry it was such a mess, i guess i had too much fun filling it with oil and grease whilst it was in my front yard Razz
Need to grab that gear back one day too.

Joel and Shane - i would VERY much like to host a tech article page for both of your conversions. As much as i have searched like a mofo for RWD 3sgte conversion data i have found very little available. If you guys are cool with it i would like it to happen, and go up on http://www.witzl.com , i can even update it frequently for you Smile

I like your work - keep it up, and make sure you put us all to shame Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 30 January 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate i'm happy for all this info to be distributed around any way possible. As like you say there is some write-ups on 3sgte rwd conversions but nothing real definate and no pics to go along with it.

Maybe we can combine Cool1's stuff with mine to make it easier? Or have like a link to each part of the conversion depending who wrote it up. Either way...

For now i'll keep everything I am doing here in this thread though.

Cheers
Joel

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 31 January 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel,
I have a pic of the simple T-piece i used on the TA22 (not to mention heaps on all the other work) so drop me an email and i'll send it to you (no ERL to post here). It was important for me to keep it as close to the head as possible so i could place the engine as far back as possible.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 31 January 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Joel,

I would be kind of leaning towards 4 bolts are better than 2 with the engine mount.

Cheers
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 31 January 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As would i for the engine mount. Mainly because of the extra vibration on the road due to the harsh surface. On the track you have very little vertical vibrations which would act as a shear force on the bolts. I do suggest you do similar to Shane's mounts. Similar reason to why i can run 8kg/6kg springs and not have any issues on the track.
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 31 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of bearings did you use/are you using? hope they are ACL ones (as i work there),
and JustenGT4 i read you article in speed, i thought it seemed a waste to cut up a genuine RC (i had one afterall) but i have 2 say its wikkid, good work. hope mine ends up as successful as yours.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 31 January 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Justen any pics you have of the conversion would be great! The more the better Smile please email to joel_fitzgerald@hotmail.com

Yeah I'll go with 4 bolts for the engine mount. Shanes setup seems quiet neat and simple.

Bearings I was going to run NDC as have never had a problem with them in the past. NDC or ACL would both be good yeah?
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 01 February 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice job, good to see those bits going to a nice home!Very Happy

an article would be a good idea.... so often ppla re told to do a search on info, and so often it turns up useless info or tangent threads (im not nesicarliy referring to this site)
so i good clear consice guide woudl be good.

nice job joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 01 February 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate hows it going? Yup all your parts are going to a good home Smile currently all packed away in boxes until the actual final build of it starts.

I'm trying to sell off the headgasket kit parts (headgakset, inlet & exhaust gasket etc) that I got from you as those wont be any good on the ST205 head.. So hopefully they sell and I'll get the ST205 bits from you Smile

Cheers
Joel
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 01 February 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs Joel,
I sent you a heap earlier today so let me know if they came thru OK. You need any more you just have to ask.

GotBoost- I have another Grp (or should say had as it just sold) so it was just a case of having the best of both worlds Smile
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 01 February 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you peel 5mm off the bellhousing/block flange to stick the input shaft into the bearing, or does your flywheel move the bearing out further? what pilot bearing are you using? can you post a picture of your flywheel?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Tue, 01 February 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bearing still sits in the crank but the guy who had the flywheel made up used to run it with a double row? spigot bearing. That gets away from the problem of having to shave anything off the bellhousing.

The flywheel is designed to sit futher out away from the block though so all the clutch fork/bearing etc is aligned correctly. Also the ring gear is the correct distance from the starter motor.

Supposedly its designed off the RWD beams 3SGE.

Here is a pic :

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/6885/flywheelcompfront0ka.jpg

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/2292/flywheelcomprear8bn.jpg
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 02 February 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bearing is in the crank so the flywheel has no impact on spigot bearing position? On my conversion there was enough of the input shaft into the spigot bearing that the bellhousing didn't need to be touched.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 02 February 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats right, flywheel has no impact on bearing position.

I was recommended though to use one of these dual or double row bearings ( cant remember the exact name sorry ). Look like a normal spigot bearing but are around twice as long so more of the input shaft is supported.

Cheers
Joel
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 02 February 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just used a stock one but that sounds like a good idea Joel
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Wed, 02 February 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 14:54

Yeah thats right, flywheel has no impact on bearing position.

I was recommended though to use one of these dual or double row bearings ( cant remember the exact name sorry ). Look like a normal spigot bearing but are around twice as long so more of the input shaft is supported.

Cheers
Joel

just a question from curiosity, how can u tell the input shaft is in the double row spigot bearing enough not to be putting pressure on the crank ala-skips 1JZ's horrible p00 death

i was thinking mating the box to the engine with no flywheel and looking into the hole for clutch fork?
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 03 February 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a spigot bearing that fits the in the 3SGTE crank that is about 16mm wide, which Im currently using. The number on it is 62201, which is an oversize bearing of 6201(8mm) used in the 2C. I just asked for something wider than the original 8mm, theres another type that is 14mm wide but 16mm is the widest according to the guy at the bearing distributor.

Vern
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 13 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all, time for a quick update. Not a lot has happened since this last post as had a few diff issues that have been taking up my time.

Rob_RA40 yeah I think the idea of mating box to engine with no flywheel and looking in the clutch fork area is a good idea. Or maybe leaving the sump off and flex/sandwitch plate (think thats the name of the thin metal plate between block and bellhousing?).

Thanks GA22GT for the part number and info on the bearing! I'll drop into the local bearing shop soon and suss it out. Thanks!

Today I worked on the rear water outlet.. here is what I got so far :

http://img235.exs.cx/img235/5002/wateroutletstainless0uo.jpg
Here is the plate for the rear water outlet. It is made from 3.5mm stainless.

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/6789/wateroutletstainless16tm.jpg

http://img156.exs.cx/img156/4733/wateroutletstainlessonhead5yu.jpg
The large outlet will be used to go to the radiator. The smaller one on the left hand side will be for the turbo.

http://img156.exs.cx/img156/8066/outletwithpipe7ah.jpg
Here is the 90 degree pipe on it. This is 30mm or so OS diameter. Basically the same size as the original 3s-gte one.

http://img156.exs.cx/img156/9587/outletwithpipe12ek.jpg

http://img161.exs.cx/img161/3026/outletwithpipe28lf.jpg
This shows a rough idea of what the radiator pipe might look like.

I'll need to T off an extra pipe for the heater also.

I've got some photos and questions/issues about the sump which i'll post up later tonight.

Cheers
Joel
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 13 February 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also joel look for the thickest backing plate you can find 2s had 2 different thicknesses from memory mine is about 3.5mm thick and that f/wheel came off my gen 2 3sge the beams 1s are different as in ring gear and few other things from memory ,and you need the bottom backing plate as well and the gear box stays as well
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 13 February 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Glenn hows it going mate? I thought I had some gearbox stays but checked the parts box tonight and cant find them. Will have to hunt around for these. I assume 2S ones are the correct ones to use?

With that flywheel I got off you, that can use the standard clutch bearing etc? Do you know what clutch part number it uses?

Here are a few sump pics. Cool1 brought it to my attension that the 2S sump is actually a bit shorter around the rear section near the rear main seal housing. Also I noticed there are 2 bolt holes that will need to be welded up. I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to modify the 3S sump to fit...

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/6205/3ssumponblock3nd.jpg
3S Sump

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/5611/2ssumponblock0lf.jpg
2S Sump. Notice how the rear is a bit shorter.

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/1450/2sumpholes3hh.jpg
This is the holes that would need to be filled on the 2S sump.

http://img205.exs.cx/img205/2953/2spickupshortleg9qd.jpg
Here is the 2S pickup. 1 leg is too short when using the oil tray thing. I figure this leg should just be cut off? The original 3S pickup only uses 1 leg. Whats everyone else think?

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 08:35]

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 13 February 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes the 2s engine stays mounts are the 1s to use ,
just weld up the 2 holes at the back of the sump ,the mini windage tray throw it away,
and make a windage tray out of alloy that goes all the way through or order 1 from a gen 3 3sge motor na will be ok
also you cannot use the std 2s bearing you need a dual race 1 that fit into the crank
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sun, 13 February 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does the gen 3 3sge windage tray bolt in ? the 3s/2s ones are welded in.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 14 February 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gen 3 1 bolts in
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i've been chatting to someone else doing a RWD conversion.. They are thinking of using 4AGE 20V individual throttle bodies on the 3SGTE engine.

Whats everyone think of this?

Might make for an interesting discussion..

Assume i'd need an adapter plate between throttle bodies and the head.

Cheers
Joel
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 17:26

Hey i've been chatting to someone else doing a RWD conversion.. They are thinking of using 4AGE 20V individual throttle bodies on the 3SGTE engine.

Whats everyone think of this?

id certainly like to hear more about this.

how many mm are the 20V ITB's?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its been done before joel, but youll have to space out the throttles and adapt the linkages to the longer distance between each, it may be easier to strip down some sidedrafts and buy the redline adaptor or just buy proper quads?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD make the kit (for 3SGE) with 47.5mm throttles and a beautiful CNC machined manifold.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked into going down the path of quad throttles, but I sort of turned away because of the extremely short runner length you are left with.

I thought individual throttles were reserved for high strung naturally aspirated engines.

Although the RB26 uses individual throttles.

How would this affect power and torque delivery?

Gabe
logic
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for starters the throttle responce is going to be far better ,and that is what i want because the roads we have here are fairly tight and twisty.Plus i like to be diffrent.

the sliver top 20v throttle bodies are
44mm opening with a 43mm throttle

and the black top 20v throttle bodies are
48mm opening with a 47 mm throttle
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Thu, 17 February 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for your input so far. Yeah I just thought it would be something different and you can pickup 20v quads for pretty cheap these days.

Hmm decisions decisions..
logic
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 February 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we can get a pair for $100 bds dollars (barbados ) and there is an abundance of 20v engines here
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
logic wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 13:03

we can get a pair for $100 bds dollars (barbados ) and there is an abundance of 20v engines here

You may be receiving a PM Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 February 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our exchange rate is good too Cool1.. Thats under $70 australian!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 February 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm keen on doing something. Are you?
logic
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Fri, 18 February 2005 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no problem
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 19 February 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have a picture of a set of the 20V throttles in their stock state?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 19 February 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy.. A couple more updates & questions Smile

I was planning on making an engine mount same as Cool1's design. But when sorting through my scrap metal bits n pieces I found a thick alloy plate that was almost perfect size except it only allowed the use of 3 holes instead of 4.

Whats everyone think? It seems pretty strong as its 6mm thick alloy. But if the general idea is its not good enough i'll scrap it and make one like Cool1s.

Here is pic :
http://img229.exs.cx/img229/9581/driverenginemount4bf.jpg

Also, I thought before routing water pipes etc I should get all the extra's bolted up that might get in the way. Now I understood the alternator should go on the driver side when in RWD format. Ages ago I got a MR2 3sgte alternator bracket as they sit on the inlet side of the engine. It's just so bloody bulky! Heavy as and seems to get in the way of the inlet manifold. Also the ST185 alternator doesn't bolt up to it so would need to get another alternator. Whats everyone else using?

Here is pic of MR2 alternator bracket.
http://img229.exs.cx/img229/9307/alternatormount6kk.jpg

Now back to inlet ideas... I haven't decided about running quad throttles or if it'd just be easier to use a plenum/runners/single throttle body. But seeing the 20v throttle bodies are so cheap I guess it wouldn't hurt to grab some just to play around with and see if it will work.

Another thing i've been trying is a Mitsubishi 4G63B (VR4, EVO engine) inlet manifold. My mate had one lying around. Now the good thing about these is on the 4G63B engine they sit on the opposite side to the 3SGTE, so when put on the 3S the throttle body is at the front of the engine.

They are extremely similar in sizing also. The adapter plate would be quite simple I think as the ports are spaced the same distance apart, just the 3S ones are slightly smaller.

Whats everyones opinion on this? Here is a pic of the inlet :
http://img214.exs.cx/img214/8489/4g63inletmanifold1cq.jpg

I'll draw up a diagram showing the differences in port size etc.
Just would be nice to find a manifold that would fit that wont break the bank.

3S
http://img140.exs.cx/img140/4705/3sdiagram6vk.jpg

4G
http://img229.exs.cx/img229/1483/4g63bdiagram0oh.jpg

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 06:58]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 19 February 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only thing I would be worried about with that alloy bracket is getting some heat into it and then it bending. It might bend and put the engine on some stupid angle and then stay there.
That alternator bracket looks like it might get in the way of the inlet but cant really tell from the pictures. I'll get some pictures of the bracket I made if you like.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Sat, 19 February 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm starting to see why this conversion isn't attempted all that often.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 21 February 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These pictures show how Glen(CelicaRA45) did his mounts:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Mounts/DCP_1493.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Mounts/DCP_1494.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Mounts/DCP_1495.JPG
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 21 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I woudlnt be using alloy either, its structural properties for something which is twisting and turning are not great. Especially the precut plate which you have there.

Anyway i mainly wanted an easy way to subscribe to this thread.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 21 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
top left of thread "subscribe to this topic" Very Happy

nice work guys.... you all make it look so easy.... more of a tempting conversion now.

cheers

Nathan
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics Mon, 21 February 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Nice work Joel!

Regards,

Joel Fitzgerald Very Happy
Pages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:doin a turbo on a 4k
Next Topic:Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:17:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011658906936646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.