Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Wed, 02 February 2005 22:56 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone here has updated XP with the lastest (56k unfriendly 266MB) download ?

How did it go ?

Thanks

James
  Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Wed, 02 February 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honestly i aint noticed no differecne, but there might be some more security features ect
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your feedback Fattony,

It isnt soo happy on mine - i installed the thing right after i posted here and it not playing the game well at all.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was aproblem with sp2 because if you didnt have every other automatic update before sp2, the windows updater was installin sp2 and the other updates at the same time. I thought they fixed this but maybe they didnt.

I know it caused 2 of my friends problems.

I am runnin SP2 on my PC, notice no real difference, besides a few cosmetic changes. But like oyu say, its probably the security things.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure you read up on the problems that SP2 acn cause.
My missus updated to SP2 and the computer crashed when rebooting to finalise the install.

There is a known issue if you happen to be running a P4 Prescott chip, and in my case the computer can't boot due to not being able to find the RAID drives to boot from
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
winXP sp2 here. ive had no troubles with it. but then again, its a standalone PC only used to play mp3s. Rolling Eyes
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the update came in the form of a brick.. i'd consider throwing it at a msft office - if there was a local one.

I've reformatted and going to try to run the update on a clean install. If this is a loser.. i'll post - in hopes that it might save someone else alot of trouble.

Fingers crossed

James
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've experienced no fatal problems with it, although some minor issues like a printer which would no longer work (patches were released to fix that, however). I have used it on quite a few different systems for people, including prescotts.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then why doesn't the computer want to recognise the SATA Hard drives? It knows they are there but won't utiliste them.

What Mother boards are you running on the computers that you have not experience problems with Dale?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SP2 is the worst update I have ever installed on my computer. Period. it happily installed it's own sound drivers for my onboard card, and will not let me remove them. As a result, after loading anything that intensively uses sounds (games, divX, audio editing), as soon as I close the program my sound dies.

I hate micro$oft.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

I work in IT, and let me tell you unless you are installing a fresh install of windows, and know for sure all your hardware and apps are compatible, don't waste your time, bandwidth or health.

I have had loads of people coming to me saying they installed it and it nuked their computer (no data loss in all cases, just killed the windows installation) and there are those that come to me saying that there computers have become slower, and less stable after installing it. There are no reports of completely successful upgrades (mind you, these users are just the average joe, no superusers)

On all our images we use WinXP SP2 installed via slipstreamed CD, and if installed from scratch (and all your hardware and software is compatible) then it is no worse than it is with SP1a. (Note, that this doesn't mean its good Smile it just isn't any worse.)

Me? I choose windows 2000 SP4 if I am forced to use a windows boxen (a frequent occurrence these days unfortunately) and only find myself becoming increasingly frustrated with every extra minute I have to spend with XP.

Anyway, moral of the story. If it is not a clean install, don't waste your time. If you are installing a clean copy of windows then sure go for it.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i installed it them my computer exploded
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 15:58

i installed it them my computer exploded

oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention the explosions it causes Very Happy Smile
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
appareently the whole company Rolling Eyes

im in IT too muzzi Very Happy

and all our bluetooth connections in the company = gone haywire... and muzzi's right... dont install SP2 unkless its from scratch... else there'll be a lot of fookups
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank god for windows restore, always remember to save ur games, i mean windows Rolling Eyes

i did study it, but havent bothered finding a job
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm all these problems, sounds like another quality microsoft product, thumbs up to bill gaYtes

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 07:36]

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did some one say bill gaYets
http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/Pics/billgates02.jpg
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to work for a local radio station and got heeps of demo cd's of upcoming dj's when i downloaded the sp2 it deleated the files 3 hours after sorting what cd does it go with later i got other wise installed ok
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 14:05

Then why doesn't the computer want to recognise the SATA Hard drives? It knows they are there but won't utiliste them.

What Mother boards are you running on the computers that you have not experience problems with Dale?

Hmm, I have used it with one sata hard drive which it detected and used ok (it was the only drive in the system).

I couldn't list the mainboards I've used it on without problems, there would be around 10 or so though. Mainly intel 865 or 845 chipset variants, though plenty of others as well.

I should add that most of these were done with a sp2 integrated xp cd from scratch, though I did a couple by manually updating it they seemed to turn out ok to me...

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a fan of microsoft in any way! Smile The security center is the biggest heap of crap I've ever come across. lol

What exactly is happening with the sata drives? Is there an issue with the controller?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Service Pack 2 sux.
Stick with SP1 for XP.
Aren't you glad I'm so helpful? Laughing
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a suspision that is is controller based that cause the intiial problem. from there I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version and updated the Drivers to the SATARaid controller to the latest, However to do this I had to Install an IDE drive and fresh install XPSP1a to do this as there is an important file that I need to get off the SATA Drives. that missed the backup.

On the start up it goes through to IDE scan where it doen't detect any thing.
It then goes to GigaRaid where it tells me there are no RAID volume and 2 Non-Raid volumes. so the bloody computer knows they are there.

The MoBo is Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 2
Infidel P4 3.0G-E Presscott
SeaGate 160G 7200rpm SATA (2 Drives)
2G RAM

All this happened after windows rebooted to finalise installation of SP2. My guess is I haven't got the Bios Settings right.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried just about the lot.

a word to all those who have not tried the you beaut sp2 install patch install.... "DON'T". If you value your sanity - and peace of mind - think long and hard before you install the upgrade. I cant get XP2 (full install) to run on my work pc - might be time for a processor upgrade.

When patched - it would not enable the 2nd monitor. But gee i love that free pop up blocker. And to at some shallow level - the new sounds that come with the interface.

On the flip side... @#$k it.

my 2c
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 22:45

But gee i love that free pop up blocker. And to at some shallow level - the new sounds that come with the interface.

popup blocker, tabbed browsing, stable, w3c complient browsing

all available for free, small download, no adds, no instability, complete control - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello muzzi,

I'd use firefox if it was adaptable - to desktop managers as IE is. I use multiple monitors here and there is no provision for any desktop manager to open windows in other monitors. Also it doesnt display some websites properly. And its hard to get some files out of the cache. - and a time waster to configure user.js - butons make life a whole lot easier - I'm pedantic with this sorta thing.
Shiftlock
Regular

Banned User

October 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TO ALL READERS OF THIS POST,

DO NOT EVER USE THIS UPGRADE PUT OUT BY WINDOWS,
IT WILL HAVE BUGS AND TRACERS EMBEDDED INTO IT
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 03 February 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This does not sound good.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 04 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 23:50

Hello muzzi,

I'd use firefox if it was adaptable - to desktop managers as IE is. I use multiple monitors here and there is no provision for any desktop manager to open windows in other monitors. Also it doesnt display some websites properly. And its hard to get some files out of the cache. - and a time waster to configure user.js - butons make life a whole lot easier - I'm pedantic with this sorta thing.

I use fire fox on 2 different twin monitor setups (work and home) and have never had a problem with it. Both have SP2 and it worked fine.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 04 February 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 06:56

Just wondering if anyone here has updated XP with the lastest (56k unfriendly 266MB) download ?

How did it go ?

Thanks

James

Yep, it's fucked - complete shit I should have never installed.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 04 February 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you really really don't like Microsoft you have 2 options -

1) Don't use it, use an alternative (linux, Unix, Solaris, etc etc).

2) Don't use it, throw your computer out.

Generally speaking, don't complain if you cant do it better yourself. Im guessing most people here could not do a better job of building an operationg system, but if you can by all means go ahead, more competition is always welcome.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 04 February 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/Pics/billgates01.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 05:26]

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 04 February 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Fuck that is cheesy.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Sat, 05 February 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sexy!
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Sun, 06 February 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 22:19

I have a suspision that is is controller based that cause the intiial problem. from there I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version and updated the Drivers to the SATARaid controller to the latest, However to do this I had to Install an IDE drive and fresh install XPSP1a to do this as there is an important file that I need to get off the SATA Drives. that missed the backup.

On the start up it goes through to IDE scan where it doen't detect any thing.
It then goes to GigaRaid where it tells me there are no RAID volume and 2 Non-Raid volumes. so the bloody computer knows they are there.

The MoBo is Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 2
Infidel P4 3.0G-E Presscott
SeaGate 160G 7200rpm SATA (2 Drives)
2G RAM

All this happened after windows rebooted to finalise installation of SP2. My guess is I haven't got the Bios Settings right.

I'm using a 3 gig cpu also. And a mate is using the same board and hdd as u are. Except he is on a 2.8. We switched Cpu's and detected his sata drive in both instances. Have u done the bios upgrade? He had to flash his bios even BEFORE he bothered autobooting windows. Damn hardware n software suppose to get better dammit!!!
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Mon, 07 February 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the BIOS was Flashed to FJ (latest) But I've given up.

I'm sure it's now in the BIOS settings but I'm out of touch as to setting up SATA Drives without formatting the HDD's. The machine still knows the drives are there but won't recognise them as RAID drives. This is where I get lost..
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Thu, 10 February 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a bit rusty myself.
As far as i know its auto detect. Or at least set it to autodetect.
Perhaps its a bodgy interface. Tried swapping SATA channels?
Is this the Phoenix bios?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 11 February 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it Image (somthing) BIOS and there are about 5 SATA things to turn off and on.

I'm trying to get the drives loaded to another machine to retrieve the inforemation then format the drives.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 11 February 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which Raid configuration were you using? 0,1,5..?

If you used a RAID configuration with no drive redundancy, then once the RAID array is broken, there's a good chance you won't be able to get it back (still possible in some cases). If however you used one with drive redundancy (or mirroring), then you should be able to rebuild the RAID array using the RAID configuration utility and get ALL of your data back.

And yes, I deal with this sort of poo every day.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Fri, 11 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't set the machine up but I would say the Array is striped as I didn't ask for a mirror disk to be set up.

So it is possible that the Loss of Array could happen from upgrading??

Where abouts in the hills are you??
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Mon, 14 February 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loss of array is possible in striped configuration.
Mirroring is quicker and more disaster proof in my opinion.
What i'd do is pull out the drives n salvage what u can.

Next time mirror the drives.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 15 February 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way rather then download it you can get it free on cd from mickysoft

NEWS FLASH MICROSOFT BUY OUT DISNEY...

ok kids!... whos the leeder of the world.. billy gates... billy gates... B.. I.. L.. L.. Y.. G.. A.. T.. E.. S..

ljgtr
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 15 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I might buy a lotto ticket because I did the download on dial up over night and it worked with out a hitch. I know bugger all about computers but what I have might help you it's is a very basic system AMD Athlon XP 1700 1.47 GHz,512 of ram and I play RD2 on line all the time. The only thing was the block up bit and firewall that was new. Sorry if it didn't help but I all so did do a upgrade each week and still do well look anyway. Sorry if I have wasted space on this page. But thanks 4 reading.
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 22 February 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have to say that the chances of you losing your array in a non mirrored raid is pretty high. What i would do is rip out the disc one by one and try to recover whatever stuff u gotta retrieve from the discs. Depending on how many drives u are using in the array. I'm assuming more than 3. What is the soul purpose of having the hard drives in raid format?

1) Configure the primary boot drive as a standalone OS hdd.
2) Give yourself a very very big PF. Page file.
3) Raid the remaining discs in data/application layer.

If u are using this in a standalone configuration try to use this in a mirrored raid with hard drive redundancy. As long as u have one working hard drive u can still boot Very Happy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 22 February 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
problem with having the os on a single drive is windows comes to a grinding halt whenever it trys to load an OS component, mirrored RAID = ideal, stripe pair = risky but hey who dosent reinstall windows monthly Razz
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 22 February 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad's toshiba laptop has been running at abacus speed of late and it damn annoying!

i thought i'd be a good son and update so sp2 for him.

OOPS!!! now it's sh*t and the update crashed to BSOD and then had error warnings and all sorts of sh*t.

my dad said "f*ck this once the lease on this is up i'm buying a mac"
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 22 February 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adding SP2 ontop of existing problems is a shure way to fuck things up!
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Tue, 22 February 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I work in IT too and have dealt with quite a few SP2 issues , i have installed it on my own newish system with the same windows install ive had for a year and ive had no probs .. personally i wouldnt recommend putting it on an older system cause your quite likely to have problems with the bigger driver database etc..

In the case of the raid ... i dont really see any point having anything other than a mirrored setup with only 2 drives - your having the raid so you dont lose your data , right? Rolling Eyes

lambolica - did you try getting into your raid config (somewhere in the startup) to check its status? you might find that the array has been broken and needs rebuilding or re-creating
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Wed, 23 February 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for rebuilding the array. I don't think its possible in most cases due to trying to recognise the better disk. I'm not too sure. But raid generally is for data security and higher access/transfer speeds. Mirrored is the way to go.

As for the os hdd to come to a "grinding halt" thats for the lazy buggers like me that keep a fresh ghosted install on the (data) raid. Laughing

I think sp2 is obviously a hardware compatibility within older pc's and older installs. Best off to stay away from it. It has very few usable advantages and should be scrapped. And the windows updates along with it too. Very Happy
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Sun, 27 February 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at those pics it should be obvious that its fuked by the BSOD in the background Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 27 February 2005 10:09]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: XP Service Pack 2 - Anyone using this update ? Sun, 27 February 2005 23:34 Go to previous message
Endless wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 14:56

In the case of the raid ... i dont really see any point having anything other than a mirrored setup with only 2 drives - your having the raid so you dont lose your data , right? Rolling Eyes

Err... If there was not a reason for RAID 0 (striping), then it wouldn't exist would it?
RAID 0 is not for redundancy. It's for performance. Reading data from two channels > reading data from one channel.

Yes, there's twice as much of a risk of drive failure but then again, I don't see people on here being worried about pumping 16psi through internally stock engines.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:soccer injuries
Next Topic:Drifting comes to ps2 with drift king, orido
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:30:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092830657958984 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.