Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » MR2 does first slide!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
MR2 does first slide! Sun, 06 February 2005 07:24 Go to next message
hmmm dorifto!

Found a nice slow speed deserted corner down the country and entered about 5kms faster. Stepped on the brakes while blipping the throttle and steering then doing alittle counter and I managed to feel the rear break out for a moment

well its nothing big but hey not a bad effort on finding out howto command the 2 on first try Cool

well im off to the next drivers/drift workshop day to find out howto control it. i've heard how the mr2's are notouriously dangerous in the rain..
  Send a private message to this user    
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 07 February 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to hear that you're going out to a workshop day. Its the first thing i told my mate to do when he bought a skyline... he didn't and his car has been in a workshop for over a month.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 07 February 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikey93 wrote on Sun, 06 February 2005 18:24

well im off to the next drivers/drift workshop day to find out howto control it. i've heard how the mr2's are notouriously dangerous in the rain..

Let me know when its on, would love to attend Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 07 February 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2's are fine in the rain its just when looser jurno's drive em they have problems. I have driven mine in anger through many a corner in the rain and have never had any troubles having said that once the ass is out its a bit of a handful just make sure you counter steer quickly to catch it. The biggest problem i find is that not that the rear comes arround easily but more that its not as predictable as a front engined rear drive car.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 07 February 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's a workshop day? can someone pm me for details? sounds interesting
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Wed, 09 February 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good tyres go a long way to controlling the ass Smile I've only got my SW20 sideways a few times, and it was because I pushed too hard on the throttle mid corner(stupid...). I'll quite happily throw my 2 around in the dry, but I'm usually pretty cautious in the wet.
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Thu, 10 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to be able to balance the car with the throttle when cornering hard, the worst thing to do is lift off completely when the tail breaks loose. In the rain, i tend not to boost much at all, no point!
OPPY
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Thu, 10 February 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having spent some time in MR2's... I would suggest you don't try to drift them, unless you set them up with a ton of toe in on the rear.. will be a bitch to get the ass out.. but semi controlable... but like the previous post.. just don't lift off.. it will spin ya the other way!!

MR2 = best car in the affordable world at 9.75 tenths.. 10, well thats just scary. Give me AWD grip and a good suspension setup anyday

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2005 03:38]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Tue, 15 February 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree. not the type of car for drifting corners, they are made to go fast through the corners.
but it is fun hanging them sideways, and even more fun going backwards at 130kp/h.. (just not good for the tyres Mad )

mikey93, the w/shop sounds like a good idea to give you time hanging it sideways in a controled enviroment to learn how and what it does when you go 'to far'. have fun. Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Thu, 17 February 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senor_2 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 13:43

You have to be able to balance the car with the throttle when cornering hard, the worst thing to do is lift off completely when the tail breaks loose. In the rain, i tend not to boost much at all, no point!

the best way to counter the mr2's understeer is by lifting off the throttle mid corner slightly. I use this technique down at old pack and certainly works a treat especially in double or tripple apex corners. I wouldnt advise doing this at speeds over 140km/h. i agree that lifting off completley when sidways is the worst thing you can do it will make you loop it.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 08:43]

BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 25 February 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find the understeer in some conditions more worrying.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Sat, 26 February 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
understeer?? whats that? oh wait i remember its what happened when i used to drive a corolla.
Razz
never had my mr2 understeer, also its not *THAT* easy to hang the arse out, they tend to stick pretty well, good tyres really help. When i got my mr2 everyone was telling its going to be crazy in the wet, and well yeh if you slap it in 2nd and flaten it around a 90deg corner yeh its gonna hang out, but what rwd turbo car doesnt?? the key is to counter steer quickly, it also doesnt like to keep the rear hanging out it will wanna swing back in or keep going out and you'll spin.

also i dont have n LSD so i can only slide on a right hand turn Razz

cheers
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Sat, 26 February 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no lsd? what mr2 spec you have?

dont all turbos have LSD?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Sat, 26 February 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsd in a aw11 with a 4agze and now a 4agte make arse hanging easy in corners when on boost. Evil or Very Mad
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Sun, 27 February 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2, are you the guy thats trying to get 200rwkw??

mikey93: mines a '91 the LSD was on option on '92+ models i beleive. i was thinking about gettin an lsd box and putting it in but the cost of the box plus the amount of work to fit is too much for me, i think i'll just sell this car in about a year or sumthing and try to find a gen III Smile
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Sun, 27 February 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never drive my 2 hard enough through corners so never seen oversteer except once. however in the wet my car plenty understeer. especially around a roundabout, just a little gas and the damn thing doesnt turn. i think just crap tyres i have, i've decreased pressure to front heaps to bout 27psi and just have to wait til they wear out and get better tyres
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Sun, 27 February 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 11:31

feral4mr2, are you the guy thats trying to get 200rwkw??

no, thats fatmr2. i dont have the moola to worry bout them type of power figures.. yet. Smile

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 28 February 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As if you dont Feral! Laughing

I got the ass out on mine last time i drove it Very Happy wasnt bad.

This time round it should be a whole lot more fun Cool
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 11 March 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i was looking for my last car i took a JDM AW11 4AGZE for a spin, it had a very tight LSD(read locked) diff and tercel 5 inch wheels and some crappy tires 165 75 i think. I have never been so sideways in my life !!!! and so controlled, heaps of fun.

Thats the fun of these cars power oversteer, power off (lift off) overteer, power understeer, it all available at the flick of the wrist or throttle.

By the way i have a standard LSD in mine at the moment, would prefer if it was a bit tighter does anyone know if these diffs are adjustable ?? and if so how is it done ?

Dont ever remember getting power oversteer from my Corrolla, i do however remember plenty of torque steer !!

Anyone done any doughnuts in an AW11 i have not found a suitable place to try yet in the new car, hope to give it a try down at Wakefield Park on April 17

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 28 March 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 13:27

when i was looking for my last car i took a JDM AW11 4AGZE for a spin, it had a very tight LSD(read locked) diff and tercel 5 inch wheels and some crappy tires 165 75 i think. I have never been so sideways in my life !!!! and so controlled, heaps of fun.

Thats the fun of these cars power oversteer, power off (lift off) overteer, power understeer, it all available at the flick of the wrist or throttle.

By the way i have a standard LSD in mine at the moment, would prefer if it was a bit tighter does anyone know if these diffs are adjustable ?? and if so how is it done ?

Dont ever remember getting power oversteer from my Corrolla, i do however remember plenty of torque steer !!

Anyone done any doughnuts in an AW11 i have not found a suitable place to try yet in the new car, hope to give it a try down at Wakefield Park on April 17

Hey mate i pulled some fat doughnuts in mine the other night. With the SC it hammers around in an instant and the doughnuts are fast and tight. The short wheelbase makes it feel awesome giv it a try
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 28 March 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Thats excellent news !!

I have since spun mine 180 degrees but ran out of courage and road to keep it planted.

How many revs did you give it and did you just dump the clutch ??

How many rotations did you get ?

Would have love to have seen it !!

By the way i am trying to organise an AW11 get together are you interested ?

Feel free to give me a call on M 0403 761 385.

Regards,

Scott
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 28 March 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make it an aw11/sw20 get together Smile
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Tue, 29 March 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i get my car this week im up for a get together on the weekend....

Hell yeah!
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: MR2 does first slide! Mon, 11 April 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people talking about doughnuts in the mr2's, however guys if you dont have an LSD dont bother trying it wont work. but if you do i have to admit they are nice similar to 4wd ones very tight and quick to whip out.

also sw20 lsd's were an option in 89 - 93 and then std in 94.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: MR2 does first slide! Sun, 17 April 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did my first slide in my mr2 yesterday. It was damed impressive Very Happy
There is nothing quite like coming into a corner and just booting it, wheels spinning all the way through. Best side ways action ive have in a long time.

And someone said you cant drift an mr2 Rolling Eyes

HAHA!
mr2gze
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 20 May 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a red aw11 on a HPI vid, at some drift meet in japan. Was getting sideways on entry well before the other cars ( read s15, ae86 etc). Not much footage but good to watch.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 20 May 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2gze wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 15:52

Theres a red aw11 on a HPI vid, at some drift meet in japan. Was getting sideways on entry well before the other cars ( read s15, ae86 etc). Not much footage but good to watch.

Would love to see that Evil or Very Mad

Can you give me the details.

Thanks
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 19 August 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed, donuts are awesome and can whip around sooo fast. Evil or Very Mad
i'd love to have a dollar for how many times i've been a-round in the feral since i've owned it.

gunmetal, i've got a couple clips you might find entertaining. Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 19 August 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 10:02

people talking about doughnuts in the mr2's, however guys if you dont have an LSD dont bother trying it wont work.

BS mate, i did plenty of donuts in the feral after i bought it when it was still a open wheeler 4age. Smile
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Wed, 24 August 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral,

Bring it on send me the clips ...always interested.

PS i found a supplier for all the goodies i need , glass resin, gelcote etc etc, hope to pick it up this week Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 does first slide! Fri, 26 August 2005 06:25 Go to previous message
feral4mr2 wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 19:36

MR. 2 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 10:02

people talking about doughnuts in the mr2's, however guys if you dont have an LSD dont bother trying it wont work.

BS mate, i did plenty of donuts in the feral after i bought it when it was still a open wheeler 4age. Smile

i agree definatley possible if you cant you aint trying har enuf Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Go the drift chicks!!!
Next Topic:Track Days - Eastern Creek
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:39:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066239833831787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.