Toymods » Tech & Conversions » oil/water flowing through intake manifold

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 04:40 Go to next message
I pulled appart my engine a bit on the weekend and noticed a couple of lines going in and through the intake manifold. Ron says its to warm up the air so that when it hits the injectors it atomises the fuel better. I always thought the cooler the better (with intercoolers etc.).

What are these lines for?

note: the lines are separate to the air going through, I don't have a leaky manifold.
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive seen a carbed car with these also...
I think they were leaking coolant into the inlet, what effect would it have blocking them?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine isn't leaking, but I want to know if I can block them off.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete,
my thoughts on this were simply that the water heats the throttle body just around the butterfly, and prevents icing/frosting of the t/b when driving around and near closed throttle (who drives like that!!??) ie: high velocity air around the butterfly.

no idea if this is true though.

i disconnected mine for a while as the damn pipes had rusted, and found zero difference. does make the engine look neater though.

cheers
ed

ps: hows the dizzy going?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some engines have hot water flowing through them for the bi-metalic idle up. For instance the 5me has got one, when the water is cold the idle up is open and gradually shuts as the engine warms up.

But thats old technology, yours would probably use stepper motors Pete.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Mon, 28 October 2002 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made up a aluminium plate to plug the holes already, but wanted to know why it happens as goes against the intercooler logic.

Idle ramping does sound like a possibility though. I'll block them off, but make sure I keep the parts, and see how I go.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Tue, 29 October 2002 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not and expert but I was under the impression that it was used mainly to help the fuel atomize better, stopped the fuel from forming droplets on the intake manifold (cause its kinda warm).

It does seem to defeat the purpose of an intercooler, but when you think of how much time the air actually spends in the intake it doesn't really have much time to heat up. A turbo / SC on the other hand makes a huge change in the temperature. This is just how I understood it, I might (prbly!) be wrong!

Cheers
Wilbo
quick 6
Regular

December 2002
Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Sun, 30 March 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the thread is old but

Is there much point in setting up a pump to run cold water through these pipes to help cool the incomming air. Would be good for dyno comps i think
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil/water flowing through intake manifold Sun, 30 March 2003 11:34 Go to previous message
Many intake manifolds are heated either with water or exhaust - this is done to reduce exhaust emissions due to improper fuel vaporisation, especially when cold. The warmer air is, the less dense it is, thereby making less power. So yes, if the air is colder, it does contain more oxygen. However, if you disconnect the heating system, sometimes, especially if you live somewhere cold, the thing can be horrible to drive. Block it off, try it, if it's happy then you can be happy. However, don't expect something so simple to turn your otherwise stock 1X corona into a true weapon Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 'BRAKE' warning light
Next Topic:TA22 Window Mech
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 05:22:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044479370117188 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.