Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 06:55 Go to next message
I would just like to point out that if you are wiring up your own car for an engine conversion and you are not a qualified auto electrician, your insurance company can refuse to make any payouts when you try and make a claim.
A person I know had an engine conversion done at a local workshop a little while ago and he just recently crashed his car. The crash was no ones fault but his own, but once the car was in at the panel shop and an auto electrician was called in to repair wiring that was damaged in the crash, shit hit the fan.
The auto electrician refused to repair the wiring because it was not up to standard and the only way he would fix it would be to rewire the complete engine. The insurance company wanted to know who did the engine conversion and wiring. This information was given to the insurer and they then contacted the workshop. Turns out the person who did the wiring had no qualification.
This person now has a car with 8k of damage that the insurance company is not going to fix.

I just thought I would post this seeing I have been asked by people on this forum to do some wiring jobs but have had to knock them back cause I have no time. Also because there are people on here offering to do wiring and they are not qualified.
So beware if your getting someone to do your wiring and they are not qualified, your insurance is void.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, what 'qualifications' would one need?

Does this mean only a qualified mechanic can change a tyre?
Am I even allowed to wash my car now?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's retarded. If the wiring didn't directly contribute to the accident, what fscking difference does it make??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would ned an auto electrical cert.

Norbie, that question was asked. But the response was "the wiring is a fire hazard and cause the car to burn to the ground". So in other words they dont want to be insuring a car that could burn to the ground at any time. And its a nice and neat way of not forking out 8k.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So

A) my electrical engineering degree won't cover it?

and

B) 90% of people that work at car stereo shops aren't legally allowed to do it either?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent seen the wiring yet, but I have seen wiring jobs done by people who think they know what they are doing and I still wonder how the cars actually run Confused Some people just have no idea.
Saying this I can understand why the insurance company refused payout.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:10

... insuring a car that could burn to the ground at any time. .

well, that's most of the car's that folks own on this forum...

surely the workshop that did the wiring would have some kind of certification for automotive work and that a 'competant' (and trained) person would have signed off on any modifications.

apprentices and workshop grunts might work on cars/planes/trains/etc but it's the supervisor who signs off (and hopefully inspects) work done.

i'd hope the workshop insurance is up to date 'cause that's who i'd be aiming at next.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say its not a case of "You're not qualified to do it so we're not covering you", and its actually more a case of "what you have done was done in an unsafe manner, and thus made the car unroadworthy, and thus we are not covering you".

Otherwise we have basically just lost the right to touch anything on our cars besides what we need to do to drive it.

No changing of wipers, no changing tyres, no changing oil, no changing battery, hell, I'd say filling up the car should be illegal too.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:18

So

Depends how far you went with the auto electrical engineering. My electronics engineering cert covers Domestic Electrical, Auto Electrical, Grid maintenance, Commercial Electronics, Radios Comms.

Quote:

and

B) 90% of people that work at car stereo shops aren't legally allowed to do it either?

I guess it depends what they are doing and how they are doing it.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 15:23

CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:18

So

Depends how far you went with the auto electrical engineering. My electronics engineering cert covers Domestic Electrical, Auto Electrical, Grid maintenance, Commercial Electronics, Radios Comms.

Its a degree, not a ticket. So I don't know what I'm legally allowed to do.
Probably nothing...
Quote:

Quote:

and

I guess it depends what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Well, not exactly, based on what you've 'heard' and typed, unless they have the certificate, they aren't allowed to touch the car. Regardless of what they did, or how they did it.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 07:57]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:22

I'd say its not a case of "You're not qualified to do it so we're not covering you", and its actually more a case of "what you have done was done in an unsafe manner, and thus made the car unroadworthy, and thus we are not covering you".

I think its simply "your not qualified so its unsafe".
Quote:

Otherwise we have basically just lost the right to touch anything on our cars besides what we need to do to drive it.

No changing of wipers, no changing tyres, no changing oil, no changing battery, hell, I'd say filling up the car should be illegal too.

You got it.

Chuck, the matter has been taken further to try and make the workshop accountable. I dont know where it has gone but I dont see anything coming of it.
Once you take your car away from a workshop they can claim you have altered the work they did. Sad but true. And its been done before.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 15:30

Quote:

You got it.

Makes you wonder how long it will be before this is the case.
I suppose once I go to insure my car, I better stipulate that ALL the work was carried out by me.
Quote:

Chuck, the matter has been taken further to try and make the workshop accountable. I dont know where it has gone but I dont see anything coming of it.
Once you take your car away from a workshop they can claim you have altered the work they did. Sad but true. And its been done before.

And it will happen again.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 07:37]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:26

Well, not exactly, based on what you've 'heard' and typed, unless they have the certificate, they aren't allowed to touch the car. Regardless of what they did, or how they did it.

There is an auto wiring book that will tell you want you can and cant do. I would assume that re-terminating a stereo plug on the car loom would be perfectly ok. Speaker wiring is a free for all I know that much. Running power to the back of the car for an amp I have no idea about.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

as if it wasn't already hard enough to insure a modified car.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 15:35

CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:26

There is an auto wiring book that will tell you want you can and cant do. I would assume that re-terminating a stereo plug on the car loom would be perfectly ok. Speaker wiring is a free for all I know that much. Running power to the back of the car for an amp I have no idea about.

But 'technically speaking' touching any wire opens up a chance to leave a bare wire. Which inturn increases the chance of a burning down car.

You should know better than anyone else that just because its written in a book, doesn't make it legal in the insurances eyes.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great... this'll make a lot of cars illegal Very Happy
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solder and use heat shrink and do your home work i better apply for my automotive a/c licence then
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if wired correctly and professional looking... ?

Can you have the wiring checked out and singed off on your Approval Certificate / Engineer's Report?
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats strange, over here in NZ, all mechanics have basic auto electrical skills and qualifications which are allow them to wire up a car, if they didnt..half the econmy would collapse, lucky for me im just about to start my second year of my auto electrical cert - i wonder if il be able to use it in aussie :s
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would think the insurance company would still have to pay for the crash damage but refuse to pay for the rewiring. They cant get out of it all just threaten to sue the bastards. Then you would sue the guy who did your conversion for the rest.

Atleast that what I would do
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I'll just be anal about doing my wiring, that way it will be hard to prove it wasn't done profesionally (especially since some of it was)
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fight them in court... My friend's girlfriend works for a law firm, which does alot of work defending some of the large insurers out there...

Some ricer had 50 modifications done to his honda civic that weren't known by the insurance company, who was refusing pay out after he stacked it into a tree because his tyres blew out scrubbing on the guards... he won... lol
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what wiring is o.k to touch and what wiring is a no no?

thats gay, what insurance company was it???
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the problem was that the auto electrician said the job was done shit

and for him to wire it up properly then it would cost a shitload

now the insurance company said it wont pay the shitload to fix it

so if he had gotten the same shitty auto elctrician who did it in first place to do it very cheap then the insurance company might say ok

its not that they dont want to cover it
they want the car fixed like it was before the crash

before the crash it had shitty wiring

so if they fixed the wiring badly again then it wouyld be cheap

its just that maybe the auto elect said to fix it properly is goin to cost alot
that is what insurance company is spewing about

but i have seen alot of conversion wiring on toyotas done so fukt

im not sure if its anyone on these forums but so many times

the orig loom is sort of left in car

wires are twisted then taped no solder

solder joins sooo chunky

even a 3 yr old can do better

buit im not complaining

each shit job just means a nice neat job for me

and i find most people are willing to pay for a good neat job

i do not have an auto elct certificate

i am a mechanic for 12 years

but i am by law limited to certain jobs like wiring up of conversions and due to my mechanic background which you learn some auto elct they allow me to do it with no other courses

but im not allowed to fix starters or alternators
which i dont want to anyway

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 10:52]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would they(insurance scumbags), or even you find out if your wiring was done either by a qualified person or a home job when the car was not owned by you, but is now???? Confused

im sure some people are quite capable of doing a wiring job of equal, or even better standards than some auto sparkys.

how the fuck can the insurance scumbags tell the difference between a pro job and a home job??? Confused

i say go them in court

brett
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
except if it's obviously dangerous they can refuse payment regardless of who did it... just if it's an auto-elec then you can claim the payment from him due to malpractice (or whatever it's called)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe. So how many of you would really take an insurance company to court?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i built my power window winder unit and wired it up myself....does this mean the insurance company will be reluctant to insure me???? i hope not Sad

brett
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

depends on the situation. In this case, i might not. Being that the person in question lef the wiring up to the devices of the workshop i would make the workshop responsible.

maybe i should just take out PMP80Y to an auto electrician tomorrow, rip out all the wiring and ask him to fix it because my work was unsafe? If i were rich i would do it, and bet $500 that he did a shittier job.
Virtually every conversion i have seen wired up by an auto-sparkie was crap, and one bordering on unsafe. What kind of auto-elec uses NON INSUALTED terminals on a horn relay for ignition power, then leaves said relay unmounted and LOOSE in the engine bay!?!?!? This thing had UNFUSED 12V coming straight from the battery!!!!!

That said though, no doubt there are good auto elecs too.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Wed, 09 February 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All that is really going on is that the insurance company want's to avoid paying the claim so they are using the bodgy wiring as an excuse. It doesn't matter if it had bugger all to do with the crash. That's what insurance comapnies do - anything to avoid paying a claim.

If it was my car I'd be pretty pissed about the auto-sparky having a big cry about the wiring to all and sundry instead of having a chat to me first. And really pissed if I'd actually paid someone to do the conversion who did such a shit job.

Would having your car approved by an engineer/pass a road transport authority inspection avoid such a problem? If it wasn't picked up at that point you could argue you had it inspected and it was OK.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 21:43

lol seems like a few would, though i wonder if they know of the costs involved in doing so, plus the insurance company has way deeper pockets and would tie the matter up in the courts for months-years

but if the wiring was origianlly done by a workshop then they should be made responsible and pay to have the wiring redone, if they didnt have any certified personel onsite to do the job, they should have said we cant do it or handed it off to another workshop to get done properly.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
{Sarcasm on} gee since when did insurance companies try to ass ream the custmer out of covering the car {sarcasm off}..

I would just pay for a so called "professional and qualified" auto elec to rewire the convo then tell the insurance company to fix the rest of the car..

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the case I know of, the ricer in honda, took about a month of so for him to win.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
insurance compaines use every method possible to avoid paying out, they wouldnt be afloat if they didnt..

the problem witht his is.. they insure the vehicle without inspecting it to see its true value, then they have a cry about the cost when something happens to it.

i bought my car for a certain amount, and the insurance company (SGIO) covered it for $3000 more than the original purchase price..

but i know when i goto claim something, its going to ream me because of my $1200 excess, worst of all is, i dont even drive a fast car..

my point is, insrance companies are shitheads, and are ghey wit teh aids
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems that the insurance companys try so hard not to give you any money, even with a legit claim

but with putting up with cases like the honda with the blown out tires ( Laughing had a good laff when i read that) you have to wonder WHY insurance companies are like that

The moral of the story is, stupid people wreck it for all

kill all the stupid people
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did he have an engineer's report for the conversion??

If he did then the engineer would be liable (which is the same in my case as most of you know about my birdsnest home made wiring job that my engineer signed off)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 06:22

Did he have an engineer's report for the conversion??

If he did then the engineer would be liable (which is the same in my case as most of you know about my birdsnest home made wiring job that my engineer signed off)

Unless your engineer has an auto sparkies ticket/license thingo, then I'd say he's not liable for the electrical work done on the car.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd expect my engineer had a sparky cert thingmy-bob.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Thu, 10 February 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 07:46

I'd expect my engineer had a sparky cert thingmy-bob.

Well then, providing the word 'wiring' is mentioned in your engineers report, you are all in the clear.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Fri, 11 February 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete - i still say you need to fix that shit dude. It's horrid.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Fri, 11 February 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 12:35

pete - i still say you need to fix that shit dude. It's horrid.

I know, I know.

Hasn't burnt the car down yet though *touch wood*
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Fri, 11 February 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately wiring does not and does not need to be checked during engineering.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home auto electrical jobs Fri, 11 February 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gunna be extra careful when doing any wiring on my conversion that's for sure!

Though it'd be a plus to get an engineer (if qualified auto elec) to give the wiring a thumbs up on the report wouldn't it?

Though there's no longer engineer's reports in VIC, they are called Approval Certificates or some shit now.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home auto electrical jobs Sat, 12 February 2005 02:30 Go to previous message
I'd be almost certain there are Australian Standards in regards to Auto Electrical work, and the do's and donts.
There might also be state by state regulations concerning the legalities of who can do what legally.

THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 00:06

Quote:

depends on the situation. In this case, i might not. Being that the person in question lef the wiring up to the devices of the workshop i would make the workshop responsible.

maybe i should just take out PMP80Y to an auto electrician tomorrow, rip out all the wiring and ask him to fix it because my work was unsafe? If i were rich i would do it, and bet $500 that he did a shittier job.
Virtually every conversion i have seen wired up by an auto-sparkie was crap, and one bordering on unsafe. What kind of auto-elec uses NON INSUALTED terminals on a horn relay for ignition power, then leaves said relay unmounted and LOOSE in the engine bay!?!?!? This thing had UNFUSED 12V coming straight from the battery!!!!!

That said though, no doubt there are good auto elecs too.

Like with any trade you get good tradespeople and sloppy. You've no doubt encountered the latter of the group more often than the former. However, if you think your work is good AND as a legal requirment the wiring for your conversion should have been done by a properly ticketed person, i would try to find an auto sparky who would sign off on your work as his own. This might prove to be hard if your work isnt what he or she would consider up to standard, but if you could pull it off it would be ALOT cheaper than him completely rewiring your car
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can't find searching, quick, most likely stupid question.
Next Topic:MX73, MX83 Comparison, Compatibility
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 05:31:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0228111743927 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.