Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:22 Go to next message
I dont know if I have only just become aware of this but lately some people (one is my wife) are ending their sentences by saying so... I find this annoying because I dont speak because I think they are going to say something else...

Anyone else notice this? If you didnt before, you will now, soo....
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it shits me off too.

its the same as ending sentences in but; it just shouldnt be done!

it just makes me want to yell:

"ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?"
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find, a sentence either ended or began with the word 'like', causes me more distress than a sentence ending with so.

"it was a pretty sick burnout but..."

I loathe 'but' as a sentence ender, it makes me realise why Australians are becoming as dumb as Americans.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like to start my sentence with "like" Embarassed Embarassed

how irritating is it when u get 2 in 1, when someone is showing u how to do something ........like so
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reminds me of that chick on "little britan" Laughing

yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but no.......
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Or when people use the conjunctive verb in the wrong place in a sentence. This is nearly as annoying as the loose usage of past participles and invalid pronoun placement. Furthermore, don't get me started on the subjunctive clauses....

seeyuzz
river
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 19:30

Yeah me too, dont think my wife would appreciate it tho lol.

Most annoying part is that I find myself doing it now sometimes, I cant help it, I hate it and realise it after I have done it, but i cant help it!!!!!!!!

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 21:30

Hi,

Or when people use the conjunctive verb in the wrong place in a sentence. This is nearly as annoying as the loose usage of past participles and invalid pronoun placement. Furthermore, don't get me started on the subjunctive clauses....

seeyuzz
river

wtf are you talking about?
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh my cousin is a stereo typical westie and cant talk for shit, his favourite is "nthat" every sentence ends and sometimes has multiple nthats Mad

The other one is poms with the emmaa,or emm,my old boss clocked in over 100 in a 10 minute speach once Rolling Eyes
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 20:30

it shits me off too.

its the same as ending sentences in but; it just shouldnt be done!

Haaa

"What ain't no country I ever heard of. Do they speak english in what?"
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 11:40

Hi,

seeyuzz
river

wtf are you talking about?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! u took the words right out of my mouth!!! Laughing
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soooooooo what? live with it mwahahahahaha Laughing

doe ray me SO La
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont hate the word so, just how some ppl use it, so....
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

seeyuzz
river

Loose usage of past participles? People usually incorrectly use the PRESENT participle instead of the past participle. For example, when footballers say "Yeah and he come flying down the wing" instead of saying came.
Also old man, an elipses contains three fullstops. Razz

The "sooooo..." thing I sometimes do but it's usually "soo... yeah". Depending on the way in which it's used it can show indecisiveness, which is the way I use it. We all have ways of speaking because nobody speaks using complete, grammatically correct sentences all the time because it's not natural.
"But" I don't mind too much either.
Jimmy would go. It's just that he has an appointment though...
Doesn't sound as bad as
Jimmy would go. It's just that he an appointment but...

My pet hate is the wrong use of:

Your, You're
His, He's (doesn't even sound the same to me)
There, They're, Their

Some people get annoyed if you correct them but hey, it only takes a minute to understand which one you should use and you'll never make the same mistake again.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somethink anythink
those i hate, the just sound dumb, I always correct my wife on it, she hates it lol.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

And don't forget the "dropping of the g". I'm always telling my wife that she's dropped the 'g' (ie somethin, tryin, etc) and she usually replies "Yeah, and I'm goin' to drop you next".

seeyuzz
river
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 07:27

Hi,

And don't forget the "dropping of the g". I'm always telling my wife that she's dropped the 'g' (ie somethin, tryin, etc) and she usually replies "Yeah, and I'm goin' to drop you next".

seeyuzz
river

hahahahahahaha

i hate it when they end it in 'yeah'... like 'blah blah blah and um YEAH!'

yeah what????
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so... whats your problem? Razz
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Mon, 14 February 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 03:44

My pet hate is the wrong use of:

Your, You're
His, He's (doesn't even sound the same to me)
There, They're, Their

A bit ditto to that,

There's also
where, we're, were
to and too

and my girlfriend's nuts for, you know what I mean?
I'll often throw in a really obvious "yeah, I know what you mean" which usually gets her to pause for a second and think about her "you know what I mean" placement Very Happy
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on eof my exs used to say why are you doing that for and a few other ones that annoyed the crap outta me!

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3...2...1.... SHRAKA is coming up with something intelligent Rolling Eyes
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to get annoyed by this sorta thing, but I dunno... it just doesn't bother me as much anymore.

It's not so much the language that annoys me, it's the people using it and why they're using it.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 05:49]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 16:48

3...2...1.... SHRAKA is coming up with something intelligent Rolling Eyes

Razz
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a big user of these types of words... specially ending my sentences with '..you know?' i dont even realise i do it half the time, because everyone usually nods or agrees with me, noone has ever pulled me up on it... usually it will be 'you know' instead of a breath between sentences... i dont know whether i am ending the past sentence with it, or starting the new one with it....

i only ever use '..yeah' at the end of a sentence if i am telling a huge story and it becomes so huge that i forget where i started and have to stop it short because i forget what i am talking about...

...& yeah.

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 21:53

I am a big user of these types of words... specially ending my sentences with '..you know?' i dont even realise i do it half the time, because everyone usually nods or agrees with me, noone has ever pulled me up on it... usually it will be 'you know' instead of a breath between sentences... i dont know whether i am ending the past sentence with it, or starting the new one with it....

i only ever use '..yeah' at the end of a sentence if i am telling a huge story and it becomes so huge that i forget where i started and have to stop it short because i forget what i am talking about...

...& yeah.

ditto, y'know? .. so.. ummmmmm.. yeah... Razz
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing smartass...

I use 'like' a little bit, not heaps though, it kinda annoys me when some people can manage to cram the word 'like' into every 5 words they say...

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just talk..

fuck you all. its usually too fast for anyone to understand though..
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yknowwhatimsayin' ..... Laughing
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think people saying "umm" between their words and sentences all the time is quite annoying, especially if the speaker keeps shrugging their shoulders. You watch footballers when they're being interviewed and there are heaps of "umms" and shoulder shrugs. The more you look for it the more you see it and the more annoying it gets.

seeyuzz
river
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks shane i'll remember that, but you know whats annoying? saying seeyuzz after every post Twisted Evil
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Tue, 15 February 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What my pet hate is double negatives
"we haven't done nothing" it means they have done something.

My little sister uses like in every sentance "it was like just me and nicole and like these boys came up in their car and were like "whats ur name" and we were like ewwww i'm not telling u"

My friends also start and end sentaces with but
"but she was fucking hot but"
it's so funny now when i think of it Laughing
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

EvilJack wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 10:42

thanks shane i'll remember that, but you know whats annoying? saying seeyuzz after every post Twisted Evil

Yeah, my "seeyuzz" upsets some of the people in the Classic Computer Forums, the Ultralight Forums and the Astronomy forums. Though no one has complained from Speculum, Rubber Fetish or the Home Gyno forums.

As it annoys you, it gives me even more reason to keep it!

Hey, what's with the selling of the Cressida now? You getting rid of all your Toyotas? What's the john dory?

Oh, and seeyuzz..... Evil or Very Mad
river
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 11:00

Hi,

EvilJack wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 10:42

Yeah, my "seeyuzz" upsets some of the people in the Classic Computer Forums, the Ultralight Forums and the Astronomy forums. Though no one has complained from Speculum, Rubber Fetish or the Home Gyno forums.

As it annoys you, it gives me even more reason to keep it!

Hey, what's with the selling of the Cressida now? You getting rid of all your Toyotas? What's the john dory?

Oh, and seeyuzz..... Evil or Very Mad
river

Laughing

yea selling up the toyotas and getting a wrx cause they demolish anything on the road

ra25! there is such a substitute!

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a fuckwit that I work 'around' here at work, and whilst reading this thread he said in conversation with another guy,

"so so so, ah yeah, so so, you see, yeah, yeah"

I shit you not, that was the idiots sentence

Here's some more he's just reeled off.

"So um, so like um, so like if there was some......."

"yeah so and infact then um, um, yeah so in effect then....."

"Umm, and then, you know, and then um, when it .."

Sorry, I hope you guys find this funny, becuase it annoys the living fuck out of me, and I hope you guys can see the funny side of it to laugh at him too.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you now his mouth is in no way connected to his brain
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
makes sense to me
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think complaining about using the words so and like is borderlining OCD.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and OCD is exactly?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

EvilJack wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 11:08

yea selling up the toyotas and getting a wrx cause they demolish anything on the road

ra25! there is such a substitute!

Umm well sorta like yeah *shrugs* hey aahh I think you're umm *shrug* dreaming there pal, umm *shrugs* and errr umm like sorta pulling your errr umm pood but!

seeyuzz seeyuzz and freakin' seeyuzz
river, but ahh well umm *shrugs*
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Sooooo...... Wed, 16 February 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
obsessive compulsive disorder.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sooooo...... Thu, 17 February 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in that case, call it what you will. I'm not the only person this guy shits off.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Thu, 17 February 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every time someone ends a sentence in 'so' reply 'buttons' as in 'sew buttons'. Shits them off to no end. I have several wins where my response of buttons is so annoying that they stop using so to end the sentence.
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Sooooo...... Thu, 17 February 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah Dave does that to me all the time.. but most of the time i dont even manage to get my sentence out first...

"hey.." " -is what horses eat
"well.." " -is a hole in the ground"

and so forth...
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 07:36

yeah what????

an american friend was recently in hawaii and he said that all the aussie tourists kept saying 'yeah' at the end of every sentence... i've never noticed it like so..... yeah...
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joyride wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:06

fade-e wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 07:36

yeah what????

an american friend was recently in hawaii and he said that all the aussie tourists kept saying 'yeah' at the end of every sentence... i've never noticed it like so..... yeah...

I noticed that a few years ago on that show Water Rats, its more of a , yeah?, like they are looking for conformation.

eg. Commodore drivers are mostly bogans, yeah?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a big push a few years ago in professional speaking to say 'like' instead of 'ummm'.

Watch any interview with a rugby league player, most of them clock up likes at a rate of about 4 per sentence... One of the reasons i can't stand the footy show anymore.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or the olsen twins, they are like good at saying like you know,like you know. The interview on Rove last year was painful to watch like you know. Evil or Very Mad
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh my god, i totally forgot about that ! I saw that.. they clocked up something ridiculous... i started watching at the start and i noticed a few, but then it became ridicuous and my flatmate started couting them on his hands.... i know he got to at least 30 within a space of a few minutes....
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Sooooo...... Fri, 18 February 2005 22:00 Go to previous message
river wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 07:44

Hi,

I think people saying "umm" between their words and sentences all the time is quite annoying, especially if the speaker keeps shrugging their shoulders. You watch footballers when they're being interviewed and there are heaps of "umms" and shoulder shrugs. The more you look for it the more you see it and the more annoying it gets.

seeyuzz
river

I think you're forgetting they're footballers Laughing
Seriously though, half the time you can tell they're tired and don't want to talk and want whoever stuck the mic infront of them to just piss off.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Spanglish
Next Topic:apple computer users
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:12:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086600780487061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.