Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
icon6.gif  **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 21 February 2005 04:34 Go to next message
I have followed the advise on the xt130 struts, pug disks and hilux callipers. So far I have got the xt130 struts....
Now, the issue is that I have a good set of old school 13" mags
and don't want to change them for something bigger as the rubber is like new on them. How can I do a brake upgrade for the Coupe and still stay with 13" rims, I'm sure it has been done. I have seen ta22's getting around wth 2tg and 13" wheels, hence it leads me to believe it can be done.
I hope I am asking the right questions? Before you say do a search, I have and turned up with nothing. Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:41]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the ussual ones Mon, 21 February 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 218mm KE30 discs fit under 13" rims...
the 228mm discs of the TA22 also probably fit.

if you want anything larger, you will have to get bigger rims.. simple as that..
you might get a few more mm by using calipers that need little space, btu thats not really worth the effort..

oh, and 234mm camira discs also fit under 13" rims with volvo 4 spots.

Cya, Stewart
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the ussual ones Mon, 21 February 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The XT130 brakes are an increase over the stock KE3x/5x brakes. Just use them. Smile

Should be plenty of stopping power until you feel the need to upgrade. Even then, with some cross-drilled/slotted rotors and high quality pads, you should get away with some good brakes...
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the ussual ones Mon, 21 February 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stewart,
Its a bit of a help, I really want to stay with the 13's
I have. As you say, 234mm camira discs fit under 13" rims with volvo 4 spots, on what struts will this setup work on. No problem with pulling up a 2TG? The other option is to maybe look at taking the xt130 struts back and exchange the for the ta22 ones? Would that work? These rims came off a ta22, I presume are better than the ke55 ones? Sorry bout all these questions, just want to do this right first time.

Gr8r-x.... xt130 struts fit 14" onwards only (I think). I have tried the 13's on them, stud pattern is fine, but the callipers are a tad on the big side, only just though.

Where to now?
Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the ussual ones Mon, 21 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this was on a KE15 Wink
with kidney style rims (i forgot the name Wink )

with brakes, it depend show fast you want to go, and how often... bigger brakes are always better..

there are calculations you can do to find the needed size of disc, based on heat generation from stopping from a certain speed..

i figured for a 700kg car, 230-250mm would be wuite ok, as long as you have good pads.. thats most important..

TA22 discs are also solids.. vented will be much better..

i have nfi about the struts etc...

what rims are they that are so good?
or is it just for the rubber?
Cya, Stewart
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the ussual ones Mon, 21 February 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mags are the old cheviot style 13x6 with near new rubber, I'm kind of fond of the wheels on the car, hence not wanting to change them if at all possible. I'm really trying to exhaust all options before looking at changing the wheels to 14". Yes, the easiest thing to do would be change the wheels giving me more choice, but then I wouldn't end up with what I would like. I know I can get the same wheels in 14", but at an added expense. So, trying to make do with what I have would be great. Has anyone else got some options of brakes to fit under 13" wheels. Is there a vented option with 4 pots that could fit or be made to fit?
Stewart, the disks on the ta22 are solid, which as I believe would be to no great advantage, but is it a better option to use the struts from the ta22 or the xt130 as a starting ground?
Or maybe the struts on the ke55 would suffice with different disks and callipers?

I hope I am asking all the right questions, and not digging up an old can of worms. I have done a fair bit of searching, and not found anything relative to keeping the 13" wheels and upgrading the brakes.

Cheers
Ciaran
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade issues.... Not the usual ones Tue, 22 February 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After doing a bit of digging around, I've found that the
Camira discs have 235 dia, which will fit. They are 20mm thick, Which I think will fit for the Volvo Calipers.
But.... The center hole of the Camira disc is 41.25 compared to the Corolla hole size of 30mm. Am I to use the xt130 hub with the xt130 strut, or will this all bolt onto the ke55 struts?
What model Volvo calipers am I to be looking for?
Cheers
Ciaran

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 02:42]

muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 30 April 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am interested to know how you went here cwhelan. I can get a pair of '79 volvo 240 calipers cheaply. Are these the ones? I also want to keep my 13's as I have almost $900 worth of rubber.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 01 May 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes like wise. wondering wot strut to use aswell.

Cheers, Calvin
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 01 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id suggest jdm ae86 struts and brakes.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 01 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stewart
What about that corolla in your Avatar? That looks like it doesn't have very big rims yet that would have to stop pretty damn quickly.
THanks
Troy
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 01 May 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slydar wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 18:22

id suggest jdm ae86 struts and brakes.

i was meaning wot struts for the camira brakes
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 01 May 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry about the delay lads, not on the net as much with all my study and work load. I will write up on exactly how I have gone so far. It is relatively simple, but does require a bit of stuffing around. Here's the breakdown as I have done it: Nissan pulsar SSS 1.6 vented disks, they are 17mm thick. I had the radius taken down by 1.6mm, and cost me $15 to do it. I got volvo 244 calipers which will work well under 13". I haven't finished the job yet. But from trial fitting with a template bracket made from MDF it all fits. There is a 2mm thick spacer that I have made for the centre of the calipers to open them up a bit more that needs to be fitted otherwise the disk would be too thick be 1mm. I am house-sitting for a month, as soon as I get back home I will take pics for those that would be interested. I have pilled so many caliper brackets and calipers appart and found these seem to be the only cofiguration to fit under the 13" jellybeans. Calliper brackets will have to be milled, but not expensive as I am told by my engineer. These are yet to be made, if it works out cost efective, I will make up a few more sets to sell with the laser cut spacers for the calipers. Don't expect anything too soon as I won't be home for a month.
Cheers,
Ciaran Whelan
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cwhelan good stuff. I am very interested in some pics. What struts you using with these?

Cheers, Rob
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used xt130 struts....
Will let you know more later, at work at mo, boss is hot on my tail for bein on the net
cheers
ciaran
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is any caliper interchangeable with the right width disk or wot? how do we know wot calipers fit on what disk?
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im havin the same issue with my ke20, i want to keep the original hubcaps Confused but doesnt sound like i will be able if i want to stop good?
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say anything is possible for $$$$$$$$$$.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Mon, 02 May 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So far it has cost me next to nothing, it cost me a good few hours though. It is just a matter of looking through the DBA catalogue and looking for a disk that will be an ok size and start from there. not many options on 4 spot calipers though. RX7 and Volvo will be the cheapest option. RX7 is the lighter of the two, but a little bit expensive, and not as easy to find for cheap. So Volvo 244/245 calpiers was the choice. Pulsar rotors are the same stud patern for bolting up to the hubs, and vented also. I had the diameter reduced in size in order to have all this fit under the 13" and still have space for a caliper bracket. I cut the caliper bracket lugs off of the XT130 struts and started designing a bracket out of MDF as a template for the engineer to mill up a couple for me. These have not been done yet, but will have them done soon. It aint easy juggling assignments and work with the car project. Anyways, hope this helps a bit. As I said before, I will try take some pics ASAP. In fact, I will be going home tomorrow night to get some things for an assignment, so I will try remember to take a few pictures then. Only thing is that I don't know how to post them up here. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction...
Cheers
Ciaran Whelan
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Wed, 04 May 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hokey wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 17:15

so is any caliper interchangeable with the right width disk or wot? how do we know wot calipers fit on what disk?

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Wed, 04 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the pics now, how do I post them up on the configuration?

muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Wed, 04 May 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to http://imageshack.us/ host them there. then put the url as a link on this page.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Wed, 04 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, that makes sense. Just figured it all out, not too hard at all, hope these pics work, http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Resizeofpic1strut.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Resizeofpic2strut.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Resizeofpic3strut.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Resizeofpic4strut.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Resizeofpic5strut.jpg

Hmmmm here goes...
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 04 May 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top effort mate. good work.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 04 May 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the corolla hub?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 04 May 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how thick is the mounting flange on that rotor? have you threaded the disc mounting bolts through the rotor or are they held on at the other side by something else? (bolts? spacer?) does the center hole center the disc neatly on the hub like factory, or is it only held firm by the mount bolts?

the volvo caliper is external twin circuit, are you just joining the two piston lines together and connecting the brake hose to the bottom line on the caliper?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 04 May 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting upgrade, nice work!
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Thu, 05 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry its taken awhile to reply to these questions, not easy using the net with the boss breathing down my neck. I had been working on this upgrade for quite some time now. I just went home yesterday to take some pics, There are going to be a few small chnges to what I have already done. I think the mounting flange was around 7.5mm (off the top of my memory). The "deck height" of the rotor is very similar to the xt130 rotor. The centre hole was about 2.5mm smaller than the xt130 centre hole.
I had an engineer true up the rotor and open the centre hole a little to be an H7/s6 fit. I can go into it in much better detail, and take photo's of the veiws you would like. This upgrade will be a very easy one to do if you want to give it a go. Its more time consuming trying to figure it all out than anything else. I am going to be changing the caliper bracket to make life a little easier again. the bracket in the pictures will work, but there is a bit of machining to be done to the face of the bracket plate. If you have worked with xt130 struts, you will know that where the fillets are at the rear of the strut to hub face (where I am showing the plate to be mounted) protrude a fair bit. These fillets cannot be skimmed down to make the bracket fit, as you would weaken the strut.

The Bracket I have just designed kind of looks like 2 10mm plates overlapping one another but shaped to suit the caliper and the mounting holes on the strut. I wanted to do this project with little machining as to affect the integrity of the strut.

Jamie: The rotor mounts up to the hub exactly the same way as the ke55 and xt130 hub. I have priced these rotors up from new, and was quoted $64ea which isnt too bad at all.
Volvo do a recon swap over for only $120, so it is advisable to keep the caliper stock and just tee off the twin lines. Pretty easy and very inexpensive.

I will be getting these mounting brackets machined up in about 3 weeks or so when I get some cash to do it. Will keep you all updated on these as well.
Hope all this helps.... Smile

Ciaran Whelan.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Fri, 06 May 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done a rough drawing of the brackets if anyone wants it, There are no dimensions on it just as yet, But, it will easily help you understand how to get the bracket machined.
Just let me know and I'll dig it out for you.
Cheers
Ciaran
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Fri, 06 May 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan: If you don't mind, I've put some of the info you've provided on the Rollaclub Wiki If you could provide the rough drawing of the brackets too, that would be helpful Smile

Thanks
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Mon, 09 May 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the drawing at home on disk, will get it on the weekend when I get to do a bit more work on the car Smile.
Thats no problem at all on the pics being used elsewhere, am
glad it will help out.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Fri, 13 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Demuire, what format do you want the drawing in? Is .dwg fine? (autocad) or I can lock it in as a dwf file.

Update on the brackets....
I have sent the drawings and template off to the
engineer to have a set and extra set milled up. I haven't
been given a price, but was advised it wouldn't be too
expensive. Please note, these are not the same as my original
brackets I have shown in the photos. I have found a better way
for them to be made. As soon as I have them back I will take
more photo's.

Cheers
Ciaran
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Fri, 13 May 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wow, it's an autocad drawing? Was sort of expecting like a umm... I don't know, more simple format Smile But umm, yeah, whatever format is more common would work. I probably won't be able to open it, but hopefully it will be of some help to anyone else looking to do the same upgrade as you have done.

Thanks heaps.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Sat, 14 May 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am definatly interested in doing the same pic. If they fit under 13's.
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Sat, 14 May 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u rkn these will fit under 12" stock wheels for a ke20?
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Sun, 15 May 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathos...
You have to be pulin the other leg bud,its got bells on that one. I have gone through all this to get a fit under 13" JUST!! I tell you what, if you think you can get 4 pot and vented under 12", I'll eat my hat, your hat and offer you the respect of a thousand camels, 12 geese and 7 Himalayan yak's. I will then procede to let you design a way to make a fiat bambina go 4wd and turbo, just for the hell of it. Laughing

On a lighter note: Muaythaiman I'll give you first option on the spare set of caliper brackets that I am getting made, thats for giving me direction on how the hell to go about getting the booster problem overcome by using the ke30 jap spec. PS:have found a better option on the master cylinder, new and shiny Cool

I probably won't get the brackets for a few weeks yet, and will fit and take pics first as an example of fit.

We go home this week, am coming to the end of this house sitting shyte (not all that bad considering the lake is part of our backyard and good for fishing). Will post up the drawing when i get home, prob Wed or Thurs. Will post in PDF and DWG format.

Cheers
Ciaran

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:56]

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Mon, 16 May 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most definately not, ke30 brakes don't even fit under ke20 12s

i would like to see how well these brakes actually do stop, ke70 brakes are pretty crap, even on my ke25. i was in demuire's ke35 on the weekend, he's got xt130 struts with the hilux/pug upgrade and oh my god does that thing pull up quick!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Mon, 16 May 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i was in demuire's ke35 on the weekend, he's got xt130 struts with the hilux/pug upgrade and oh my god does that thing pull up quick!

The rear discs help a fair bit with that too, to a surprising degree actually. You noticed the 2nd time I jumped on the brakes I actually slightly locked up the rear wheels for a fraction of a second, that's how much braking power I have on the back now! Plus, good pads help a bit too.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Mon, 16 May 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey demuire, have you the photos of when you did the rear end? Having upgraded to 2tg in my ke55, I am still yet to do the dif. I have been advised that my ke55 diff won't take a hammering. So, if my diff has to be changed, I will look at doing a disc upgrade. Yes I have done a search on the how to's, it doesn't seem too difficult. I take it that it all has to be blue slipped through engineers?
Cheers mate.

Super Jamie: I take it that your at the stage of deciding what front brake upgrade to go for next? Yes the ke70 brakes are shit, then again solid rotor and single pot aren't made for serious upgrades.

I will let you know how the car pulls up, should stop on a dime with no problems. I only went through all this to get the best option to stick 13" feet on it.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Mon, 16 May 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan: Yes, all blue plated.

Photos

It's an RA23 diff, with early Bluebird TRX discs. Barely fits in 14" rims.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Tue, 17 May 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan: Just thinking, would the AE86 rear disc end fit under 13" rims? I seem to keep thinking the AE86 front brakes do, so maybe the rears do too? They aren't the most effective things in the world, but I doubt if many brake options that fit under 13" rims would be much to write home about, and in any case they would probably be better than the stock brakes, which I'm guessing is what you're after.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 18 May 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would the AE86 disk end be stronger on the ke with 2TG than the borg as standard?
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims **PICS ADDED** Wed, 18 May 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finaly home after house sitting, have taken a few more pics to make things a little more clearer. I have found the disc I saved the drawing file to, will take it to work tomorrow and resave it into a few more formats and also create the drawing into 3D for ease of viewing.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Picture(59).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Pict ure(78).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Pict ure(79).jpg

Hope this answers a few more questions... Cool
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Thu, 19 May 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Pict ure(79).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/Pict ure(78).jpg

there ya go
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Thu, 19 May 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon I'll go the same front brake combo as cwhelan, and try adapting the orig. ke55 front calipers and discs to the rear, on a T series diff. We'll see. might be easier to just get a disc brake rear end.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Thu, 19 May 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Would the AE86 disk end be stronger on the ke with 2TG than the borg as standard?

What do you mean? If you're asking if the AE86 diff is stronger than the standard KE3x diff, then the answer is yes.

Looks good Smile
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Thu, 19 May 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muaythaiman: What would you use for the handbrake? Would probably be easier to use calipers off the rear of another car?
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Fri, 20 May 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire, good point! I never thought of that. The price of a disc brake rear end is a bit off puting to be honest, but maybe you can shed some light on this. What rear end are you using?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Fri, 20 May 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using an RA23 Celica diff, and using early Bluebird TRX disc brakes on it. The bolt holes on the Bluebird backing plate need to be slotted to bolt on to the diff, but apart from that everything is stock. Rather simple and cheap upgrade.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably look into R31 Skyline rear brakes, as they have a steel backing plate (I think), and don't use an internal drum for handbrake. Also, much much more common to find.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **NEW PICS**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Fri, 20 May 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok... heres what you have been waiting
for. I have had the engineer make up a
jig for cutting the chunks of steel for
the calipers. I have made the full size
model of the bracket and checked fit and
alignment before the milling gets under
way. I have asked for 2 extra sets to be
made as I have had the extra pieces of
metal cut. I will either keep these as
spares for my coupes or put the extra's
up for sale to cover the expenses of
getting a jig made and metal cut. I have
no idea on what it will cost for getting
the milling work done, but will advise when
it gets done. I will give you first dibs on
one of the sets muaythaiman if you like? I am
assuming $160 for a set should cover the machining
costs. Don't hold me to that just yet, but it
will make the Volve calipers a straight bolt on
upgrade. Here's the pics so far:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(83).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(87).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(80).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(84).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(81).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004925/ResizeofPicture(82).jpg

muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 21 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff cwhelan. You have done a bloody good job. I wonder if your brackets will bolt to a standard ke55 strut? You can put me down for a pair mate. Even if they don't I will get some xt130 struts.

Again good work Very Happy
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 21 May 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can do one better, I will take my hubs off my coupe and check them to the standard struts. Give me an hour or so, just cleaning out the garage, so will post up an answer for you. I will hold a set for you no problem, I have had interest in the other set I will have also, but no definates. The engineer will make up a template for me, so if these work out as I hope, I should be able to get more done as needed. I am not in any business as quite a few of you know, just a student enjoying my hobbies. If Toymods would like to have me as a paid member, I will gladly look into it as I have gained valuable knowledge from this site, to which I thank very much.
Back in a while with those pics and answer on fitting... Smile

Cheers
Ciaran
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 21 May 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i HAVE EXCEEDED MY LIMIT ON PHOTO HOSTING. DAMN!! WILL TRY OPEN ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO POST UP THESE NEW PICS FOR YOU, AM OFF TO DINNER NOW, SO WILL DO IT WHEN I GET BACK TONIGHT....

Oop, sorry about that, have caps lock from working on autocad. Chat soon.... caio
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 21 May 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan: If you need a good hosting service (but to get unlimited you have to pay a little) try out Fotki.com. I've been with them for a few years, they're really good.

Alternatively I've mirrored your photos on Rollaclub (as I stated before, at Rollaclub Wiki so if you really really have to, you could replace the photos you have online already with the new ones - but then you won't be able to see all the photos here on this thread, which would be a pity.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sat, 21 May 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm... will have to give it a go in the morning, sorry bout that. Lil tired now, and can't understand how to upload pics on this other site. Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:36]

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 22 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DISCLAIMER
I developed this upgrade for my own use, and I am offering it to others as a courtesy only, and on a strictly AS-IS basis. USE THIS INFORMATION STRICTLY AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I will accept absolutely no responsibility or liability for anything that happens as a result of your use of the information presented here.

http://img268.echo.cx/img268/4781/reexposureofresizeofpicture933.jpg
As you can see here, there is a bit of a difference between the two struts. The Stub axle is heavier and also the thickness of the strut shaft is stronger. The bracket holes are not in the same positions, and the strut face is made to take a bit more agressive driving when it comes to bracket mounting. You cant see in these pics, but the strengthening fillets behind the mounting face are alot chunkier also, which make it stronger.

http://img287.echo.cx/img287/2523/resizeofreexposureofpicture909.jpg
Self explanitory, measuring up the mounting holes to see if they will suit the brackets being made for the xt130 struts. The holes are closer together. I think you could still use the brackets on the Ke55 struts, you would have to redrill the top mounting hole on the bracket. The only thing is that these brackets have been designed for Vented Pulsar rotors. I don't know if these will work for ke55 disks, you would have to have the caliper side of the mounting bracket milled in thickness to allow for the caliper to sit in the centre of the disc.
http://img265.echo.cx/img265/8136/dwg2tp.gif

http://img268.echo.cx/img268/3946/resizeofreexposureofpicture910.jpg
Measuring my sketch for centre of mounting for strut face to bracket.

http://img287.echo.cx/img287/3729/resizeofpicture883uv.jpg
Measuring centres of mounting holes on KE55 hub to rotor mounting holes.

http://img287.echo.cx/img287/8809/resizeofreexposureofpicture895.jpg
Measuring centres of mounting holes on Pulsar SSS vented rotor to hub mounting holes. As you can see for yourselves, the rotor holes will not line up.

Conclusion:
You could go ahead and try adapt these brackets to suit for ke55 struts, but the problem you will face is that you will find it to be of no use as you will still have brake problems due to rotor cooling as the ke55 hub doesn't allow for vented disks of the correct size to be fitted. This upgrade is a very cost afective way to go. ABS sell these rotors brand new for next to nothing, Volvo 244/245 calipers are in most U-pull it/ Pick a part place, and normally 4 or 5 cars sitting there with the parts ready to be taken off. These are a cheap caliper to have as a swap over recon unit. I think from memory about $128 or close to for a pair. It is cheaper to swap them at Volvo than to buy the rebuild kit!! (bloody volvo drivers)
I am very tempted to buy up as many xt130 struts, volvo calipers and pulsar rotors I can afford and sell these all built up and modified with brackets and everything set up. It would be a good little after work/school part time job. And fun too. Anyways, this has been enjoyable and hope it all helps.
Cheers,
Ciaran

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2005 03:22]

boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 22 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Slightly off topic but what master cylinder should I use, I'm planning on using camira discs, with volvo 4 spots. I've got a few questions! What volvo do they come off? WHat master cylinder should I use? Does the camira disk have the same stud pattern/measurements? Have a good one!
Thanks
Troy
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Troy,
I have heard the Camira Rotor will work fine, maybe someone else can verify stud pattern. I have used a Toyota Paseo Master cylinder on top of a ke30 Jap spec booster, also found at U-Pull-it. Heres a pic of the fit, nice and snug, and doesn't foul up on anything. The travel on the piston is the same as the standard ke55 m/c. Good luck....

http://img277.echo.cx/img277/8160/resizeofpicture954cx.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2005 09:03]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 22 May 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting use of the Paseo MC, what size is it? I'm using a Pajero unit, 15/16.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: **Bracket update**KE 55 brake upgrade to fit in 13" rims Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Far out cwhelan. That's in-depth. Looks like the xt130 struts are the way to go. Making brackets, finding a suitable rotor etc. for the 55 strut would take as much effort as you have done already. Cheers for that.

So you decided against the remote booster I see. I would have avoided it.

Now just got to find some 130 struts................
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KONIG REWINDS FOR AE86
Next Topic:1UZ starter wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:33:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010620832443237 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.