Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G rotor button !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 11:56 Go to next message
Has anyone purchased one of these before ? I rang toyota and it is bloody 260 bucks ! just for the button. Cap is cheap 50 bucks.

Help very much appreciated ..
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rotor is a wierd double ended design.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was very expensive, but $260 is rediculous
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eeek Smile

I'd just cut my losses, sell the 1g and get a 1/2JZ-GTE Razz But my dizzy is in good condition.
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to repco and get them to pull out their bosch book and look through all of the pictures. They don't actually list the 1GGTE engine under anything but you may be able to find the right part you are after.
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using coil packs on mine, and have a rotor button in the shed if your interested Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Tue, 22 February 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup thats what I was quoted. They were promptly told that I could buy an entire 1G for not much more than that.

Was that through Castle Hill Toyota??

Also try Lander Toyota, they have an import department and i have found them cheaper on some occasions.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have one for you available too if you want it. They have diodes(??) in them, that's why they cost more.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are some damn expensive diodes Shocked
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, tell me about it. I can't fathom why it's so, but it's a special rotor button.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i wouldnt mind puting in a 1/2j . Yeah ive looked through the bosch books . But its actually a nippondenso dizzy . That was through cmi toyota here in adelaide on account. It is a very strange looking rb , but its rediculous hey.
Luckily its working but its pretty shaby, so if it ends up fucking up ill see about your spares Smile cheers.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i wouldnt mind puting in a 1/2j . Yeah ive looked through the bosch books . But its actually a nippondenso dizzy . That was through cmi toyota here in adelaide on account. It is a very strange looking rb , but its rediculous hey.
Luckily its working but its pretty shaby, so if it ends up fucking up ill see about your spares Smile cheers.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hu,

yeah i have bought one for that kind of money.

i have a friend that works for toyota and he got it for me the best he could......

put the money towards aftermarket management and coilpacks.

Cheers
Stew
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey stu, are you still persisting with the standard ECU? Hows it going?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Wed, 23 February 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've got two if you want one.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G rotor button ! Thu, 24 February 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Anthony....

the standard ecu is still there at the moment.... but the car has been off the road since it ran at the creek last year so no developments that way.

i will be going after market soonish though in the quest for more power....

Stew
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Thu, 24 February 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rotor failures are extremely rare, so i think that replacements are unnecesssary at least 90% of the time, yet people like to replace simple & easy things just because they can.
yours is probably costly because its got a built in resistor, like the resistor plug wires & plugs & coil to dizzy wire aren't enough. if the resistor has failed, you may be able to solder in a piece to jump it, or find a non-resistor replacement that costs MUCH less.
otherwise, just wire brush the tip or rub it on the sidewalk a little.
if the center spring like contact on it is rough, sand it smooth so that it doesn't eat/chew up the center carbon contact in the dizzy cap.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Thu, 24 February 2005 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOY77 wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 18:03

hey
the standard ecu is still there at the moment.... but the car has been off the road since it ran at the creek last year so no developments that way.

What times did you run? I guess you had the drag slics on for it.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1G rotor button ! Fri, 25 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 01:43

rotor failures are extremely rare, so i think that replacements are unnecesssary at least 90% of the time, yet people like to replace simple & easy things just because they can.
yours is probably costly because its got a built in resistor, like the resistor plug wires & plugs & coil to dizzy wire aren't enough. if the resistor has failed, you may be able to solder in a piece to jump it, or find a non-resistor replacement that costs MUCH less.
otherwise, just wire brush the tip or rub it on the sidewalk a little.
if the center spring like contact on it is rough, sand it smooth so that it doesn't eat/chew up the center carbon contact in the dizzy cap.

Its got nothing to do with the resistors or diodes in the rotorbutton. The problem is the contacts that wear out, they have tiny pits on them and eventually wear to much.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Fri, 25 February 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a center contact and a tip that will get pitted from arcing to the terminals on the cap. there is no actual contact.
those pits are insignificant and barely hurt anything. sure, if it's cleaned up, the spark will have to jump a few thousandths more, but it will not affect performance at all.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G rotor button ! Fri, 25 February 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey,

yeah i had those little baby slicks from dubbo....

i ran 12.5 @ 110.89mph

stew
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G rotor button ! Mon, 28 February 2005 02:03 Go to previous message
Well done on the time Stew. I just took mine to the creek a couple of weeks back and ran a 13.7 with an open diff and street tyres. Not too shabby for a standard 1G.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tire pressure ??
Next Topic:3M grunt
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 10:29:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082530975341797 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.