Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Tue, 22 February 2005 23:06 Go to next message
Edit: Down teh bottom of the page.

Inject the cold evaporative stuff before or after the intercooler?

Anyone know how much it helps? What sort of percentage mixture can be run? is pure methylated spirits going to affect A/F ratios too much?

-ta.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 01:01]

Send a private message to this user    
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 23 February 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After the IC definitely and unless you are running a dedicated extra injector don't try and run straight meth thru a simple spray nozzle....BIG fire risk.

Highest mix you should run is 50/50 meth/water but as to what the engine will take as a % of total mixture? it's totally engine dependant. Look at the Aquamist site to get a rough idea. I think their biggest nozzle is around 300cc/min
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 23 February 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max recommended water/meth mix to use is 10% of fuel rate.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 23 February 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RB25DET

I was thinking 'bout putting the spray around 1-1.5metres from the throttle body, to give it half a chance to mix throughout the airflow. All this is after I've installed teh massif, hektic Front mount intercooler.

If I have a safety cut to only pump on-boost, surely 100% metho would be o.k.?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 23 February 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u run any more than 50/50 u dont gain anything

just costs more
mix it with water it will last twice as much

i used to run up to 3psi more with a water injection setup
mind u i ran out of water once and it melted top edges of pistons hehe

it is a cheap or cheats way for more power
but it has its disadvantages
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 23 February 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nooo metho is just to help the water evap quicker you want 49% distilled water 2% cheapo coolent 49% metho this is the proven formula,

best bet is any old efi fuel pump and a couple of injectors one close to the throttle body and one post intercooler or pre turbo depending...

then try and scam a cheapo aux injector controller

vola! tuneable water injection!

Allan
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Thu, 24 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noice - Thanks Allan.

Injector control is no biggie - I've already built a timer circuit with big-ass transistors to switch 5-10 amps in a coil, to run a spark plug in my homemade jet engine. Which is like, totally not finished! Razz - No biggie to build another one to control injector duty cycle.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Thu, 24 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best bit is that your old EFI pump unfortunately will live a very short life... To prove a point, I actually tried this once. I won Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Fri, 25 February 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha yeah I tried it once too... those pumps don't like water at all. Lasted about a day. Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Fri, 25 February 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you run coolent in the mix?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Fri, 25 February 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would probably prolong the life of the pump somewhat, and it'd smell pretty classy, too!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Fri, 25 February 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i ran a gz10 fuel pump for 6 months without issue
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Sat, 26 February 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does this only work on a turboed engine

does it work on a NA motor??

brett
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Sat, 26 February 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
works on NA to a lesser extent but will allow more advance to be run, stops carbon deposits and cleans intake path
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Sat, 26 February 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much horsepowah gain would u expect on a stocko 18rgu??

brett
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Sun, 27 February 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as the engine does not run high ( or highish for that matter ) compression, i dont think you would see a big advantage. most gains are had through being able to run more advance before detonation occurs. with such low compression, there is a pretty huge threshold there to start with. there will be some gains, but probably not noticable.
that said, it could probably be worth it for the cleaning factor.
try and see, its not expensive to set up. . . and i really really doubt whether you could do any harm. . . as long as u dont spray it in there with a garden hose, it HAS to be a very fine mist.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Mon, 28 February 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. Any ideas on a chaep(ish), high(ish) pressure pump that's water-friendly?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently modern washer pumps are good for around 70psi (according to a recent Zoom).

http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?produc t=888800074&
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
washer pump? err, me thinks not! youve got to have pressure plus volume flow... like a shurflo

speaking of which, ive got a complete, basically new pump and fittings (plus a spray nozzle or 2) available for sale if youd like. $100 + post (go see how much a shurflo regulated pumps costs before anyone flames)

cheers
ed
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goto a farm supply place look for something like...

http://www.shurflo.com/pages/new_industrial/indust rial/gen_industrial/genind_doc_sum/2088-443-144.ht ml
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 11:43

washer pump? err, me thinks not! youve got to have pressure plus volume flow... like a shurflo

speaking of which, ive got a complete, basically new pump and fittings (plus a spray nozzle or 2) available for sale if youd like. $100 + post (go see how much a shurflo regulated pumps costs before anyone flames)

cheers
ed

me me me!!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
serious? ok, current high bid goes to allan @ $100 plus post

going once?...
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which model SHURFLO is it? I've looked around a bit, and there's pumps, and THEN there's PUMPS!
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 11:43

It really depends on how much volume you're after, for example, on a 4AGZE, you've got 4x365cc injectors which at 80% duty cycle would supply 1.2 l/minute of fuel at tested pressure (assuming that the tested pressure is comparable to normal operating pressure).

Further up this thread, MWP claims that you would never want more than 10% water to fuel, therefore, you need a pump which can supply 120cc per minute.

As the sureflow pump linked above can supply 63 times that amount at 40PSI, perhaps that might be considered overkill.

Even if you've got a worked 6 cyl with 440's, then you've got a total fuel flow of around 2.1 l/minute and would need a whopping 210cc/minute of water.

As the water pump will only have to be around 1/10th the power of the fuel pump, I think a water pump bigger than the fuel pump might be considered wasteful...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have been asked for more info here is some more reading...

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html

http://www.dawesdevices.com/howto.html
Quote:

Results: Using this system, I have measured nearly a 90 degree drop in charge temperature at 14psi. This was somewhat unexpected. Realize that since the water vapor occupies some of the space normally occupied by air, the power gain is not comparable to what a 90 degree drop with an intercooler provides. But I am happy with the results. I am also able to run 15psi with 15 degrees advanced timing. The friend that I built the prototype system for, is running 16psi without a problem.These measurements were made on a 90+ degree day. Power delivery feels smoother and my plugs show no signs of detonation.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 03:46]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even at 100-200cc/min, you must ensure that you maintain at least 40-50psi rail/line pressure to get good atomisation. show me a washer pump that can do that, and ill be happy Smile

shurflo is overkill, but there is almost nothing inbetween
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I'm trying to find a cheap backpack sprayer pump for a decent price. They're 12V, low flow, high pressure, sturdy and built to handle water + chemicals. Who could ask for more ? ! ? ! ? !
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run 15psi with 12 degrees advance and no injection.... are they talking about a crappy motor, or bolt-on turbo to n/a engine? (or maybe a nissan engine? I've heard they tend to be able to run a few degrees less than toyota ones)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 20:16

I run 15psi with 12 degrees advance and no injection.... are they talking about a crappy motor, or bolt-on turbo to n/a engine? (or maybe a nissan engine? I've heard they tend to be able to run a few degrees less than toyota ones)

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html

we are running a turbo on a 11.5:1 high compression bike and doubling the horsepower with relability.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shows I only read the quote and didn't bother with the links Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 20:52

shows I only read the quote and didn't bother with the links Razz

hmm sorta like installing a 1jz and not bothering with a 2jz? Evil or Very Mad
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Tue, 01 March 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run 50/50 with my spray between the airbox and the blower,colder air in the blower compresses better.
I run a system that is like a washer set up.
I've not had much to do with turbo's weather the same effect is gained or not.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Wed, 02 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think I'll be pumping a cool mist of air/alcohol at my turbo's super-hot inlet wheel, if it's all the same to you ! ! Rolling Eyes

Thermal shock is bad, mm'okay Very Happy

Seriously though - can anyone fault this setup:

Flojet 12v pump, 40psi, max. 3.8L/minhttp://www.flojet.com/prodInfo/productImages/large/LF122-202_l.jpg
http://www.flojet.com/prodInfoApp/servlet/DisplayI temDetail?itemId=LF122-202&companyId=FLOJET&am p;catalogId=FloorCare&categoryId=FFSEP&typ eId=FIDP13

Running water/ethanol into three of these mist-nozzles:
http://www.spray.com/catalogs/images/LNandLNN_01.jpg(Mine have a thread machined on the outside, to screw-in to the Intake piping)

Each Nozzle (26 flow rating) will deliver 71cc of water/minute @ 40psi, mulitiplied x 3 - 213cc/min. This is around 8% of the maximum flow for 6 440cc petrol injectors.

-Just found someone claiming my type of injectors only flow around 380cc/min: That'd mean I go down a nozzle size to a 22 flow rating (182cc/min of water), unless I wanna leave extra capacity in case of further mods . . . .

yeah? Confused
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Mon, 07 March 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump! Very Happy
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Alcohol/water injection. Much advantage? Mon, 21 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 14:00

Seriously though - can anyone fault this setup:

Flojet 12v pump, 40psi, max. 3.8L/min

I don't think that your pump will give you enough pressure.
I've read that you need at least 3 bar above your boost pressure. I'm gonna get a 100psi pump for mine.
Check out www.coolingmist.com
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Thu, 14 April 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did you guys end up doing for a pump? The general consensus in the US for water injection on Supercharged MX5's is that 100psi pump is required. I got a price from a local marine shop on a 75psi Shurflo at $250. They couldn't get the 100psi one. I am waiting on a price from Victoria, but I'm told to expect it to be over $500. At that price I'd rather just go and buy an Aquamist system. So what did you guys do?

Cheers,

Cal.
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Fri, 15 April 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Fri, 15 April 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's more money than you need to spend. Just check out ebay, they have got the best prices and stuff by miles.
I got mine off ebay from the same guy who runs www.coolingmist.com it was under $200 for almost everything i needed. I just bought some wire, a switch and a fuse holder separate. I would highly recommend coolingmist.com.
There's also another guy on ebay selling kits which seemed very similar, affordable too.
Good luck.
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Fri, 15 April 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you've had good success withe coolingmist setup? I also found this: http://water.lovehorsepower.com/ Still $410US + shipping + tax. I'll check ebay, thanks.

Cal.
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Fri, 15 April 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more question. Did you use the 1 nozzle or 2 nozzle system? What boost did you actuate it at?

Cal.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Fri, 15 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a 1 nozzle system and it comes on at about 8psi i think. I've only had it going now for a few days, maybe a week.
Get it from ebay and it'll be half that price.
Let me now what you end up getting.
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ? Tue, 19 April 2005 05:07 Go to previous message
Thanks. I'll be buying something within a few days.

Cal.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jap sprinter brakes on KE70 struts
Next Topic:Oil Pressure Problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:58:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014003992080688 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.