Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18RG same as a 18RC??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 04:37 Go to next message
hey
just been reading old posts, and someone said the 18RG bottom end is the same as a 18RC bottom end??

is it possible to convert the head and all the other shit from a RC to a RG? will it run the same?...
i heard alot of rg's like to rev, total opposite to my RC..dies at 4000RPM

or is it better just to buy a RG and rebuild it?...

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you use rc pistons then you have to flycut them to make way for the valves, rc pistons also lower the compression which you dont want to do on a N/A engine.

Find yourself a good rg they come up often enough.

Cheers
Jason
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i was thinking, the RC really isnt anything special, gets my car from a to b,

Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will end up costing you too much, just look for an RG to begin with.

It may seem simple with just the heads, but from there its pistons, timing gear, aux shaft, distributor location, etc...

Lots of stuffing around! Smile
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah was just curious,
im no guru at this, just learning, same as driving i guess, you get better the more you do it...

also i read that the Rg is resonbally quiet with extractors and a 2 1/2 exhaust, intill it hits 4000Rpm and over then its loud as.this true?...hope so, id love a loud ish car

thanks
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true

rg makes its best power from about 4000rpm and upto about 7000rpm.

I've driven mine twice and the pull its got when you hit 4000rpm is phenominal

Cheers

Nathan
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i researched the exact same thing.

if u want the low down here goes

You are better off getting a complete 18R-G (or 18R-GU or EFI 18R-GEU).
It will be cheaper than getting the bits individually.
The 18R-C and 18R-G blocks are identical.
Only difference is that the hole for the oil dipstick is drilled on the
left side for the 18R-G and the right side for the 18R-C (both blocks
have both bosses but only one is drilled out - you can drill out both
and plug either one).

The standard exhaust system for the 18R-C is way too small for an 18R-G.

Gearbox and engine mounts are the same.
Fuel supply is the same.
Radiator is the same.
Electrics are the same (minor change required for 18R-GU or 18R-GEU
electronic ignition but it's simple bolt on stuff).
If the new engine has EFI then make sure you get the igniter and coil,
otherwise you need to go chasing one or converter back to points.

The carbies are on the other side of the engine, so you need to shorten
the rods that connects the accelerator pedal to the carbies.

The entire bottom end is interchangeable (18R-G pistons are
higher compression but the pistons and rods are interchangeable as a
unit).
The lower timing chain is the same for both engines.

You need the following from an 18R-G
- upper chain
- upper chain tensioner
- upper chain guides (2 at $150 each)
- timing cover
- sprocket between upper and lower chains, plus its bolt
- head gasket (18R-C can be modified but why bother)
- head plus everything that attaches to the head (thermostat housing,
cams, valves, etc)
- inlet manifold and carbies or EFI system (manifold differs for EFI but
both bolt to the same head)
- air filter box
- accelerator rods or custom made cable
- exhaust manifold
- dizzy (and igniter if using electronic ignition from an 18R-GU or
18R-GEU)
- oil pump (can modify an 18R-C oil pump to use a shorter filter which
clears the carbs)
- probably a few small things I forgot

So, as I said, its much easier and CHEAPER to buy a complete 18R-G.

The 18R-C carby can NOT be used on the 18R-G.
The manifold is different and the 18R-C will not provide enough air or
fuel for decent power levels (and why bother installing an 18R-G if you
don't want decent power).

Qouted from Stepho.

Just recently found out that 18rg cranks are forged and rc is not. and perhaps with the rods also, supposdely. i cant back this up but some 1 on this forum was pretty sure about this. and i beleive him so yer.

Hope this helps.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 07:21]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blocks are not totally identical either...for some reason some of them have 2 holes for the oil pump to bolt in and some have 3. you do not need to fly cut the rc pistons to have them in a rg block as they are lower to start with. but would not recommend this unless u are boosting it. timing cases, balancer shaft,oil pump, top timing chain, head, pistons, crank, rods, manifolds dizzy leads, are all different..theres also a small part that goes in the old rc dizzy hole to keep running the oil pump. its just not worth the hassle unless u have all the parts from both and need to rebuild one.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 18:37

blocks are not totally identical either...for some reason some of them have 2 holes for the oil pump to bolt in and some have 3. you do not need to fly cut the rc pistons to have them in a rg block as they are lower to start with. but would not recommend this unless u are boosting it. timing cases, balancer shaft,oil pump, top timing chain, head, pistons, crank, rods, manifolds dizzy leads, are all different..theres also a small part that goes in the old rc dizzy hole to keep running the oil pump. its just not worth the hassle unless u have all the parts from both and need to rebuild one.

simple typo

U do not need to fly cut the rc pistons to use them with the Twin cam head. Not the 18r block.:)Smile

Very interesteing to know about the oil pump holes:)

I know there is a link here somewhere but does any 1 know how to tell the difference between a forged rg crank and an rc crank? There is a active topic about the difference in rods.
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey jef
thanks for the info, just what i wanted to know,
now all i gotta do is come up with some $$$ and find a RG for sale,
how long roughly will it take to to do the conversion if done at home??

and how much power will a RG produce stock, then if i put extractors and twin carbies how much of a power gain will that add?

would it be the same or more power than a gemini with a 1600, weber and genie 4-2-1 's ?

thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 09:12]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The spare 18RGU is for sale seperately. PM me with offers

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=58683&rid=5072&S=e3425b712316517e480ff01 dfd179492&pl_view=&start=0#msg_540199

not sure if its sold but give him a buzz ... wasnt too long ago.
polson
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i took my rc out and got an rg in a day easy and that was in a hilux and i had to swap sumps and oil pickups its a easy convertion
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You'll need dual twin-throat sidedrafts for the 18RG engine. Basically it has a throat per cylinder.

I don't know how much power the Gemmi engine produces.

An 18RG engine in stock form produces 145bhp. The stock 18RGU produces about 120bhp and the stock 18RGEU produces about 130bhp.

The GU variant has less compression ratio and is designed to run on non-premium petrol.

The GUE variant has EFI, bigger valves to bring the power up a bit. Supposedly able to run on non-premium.

The RG was the first model. It had the highest compression ratio, no anti-pollution gear and prefers to drink 98RON petrol.

I'd put 98RON (BP Ultimate) into any of these engines and forget running anything of lower RON rating. The 18RGUE is the preferred candidate for turboing.

seeyuzz
river

jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to a 1600 gemmi manual at work, it produces around 82kw.

Just bare in mind that the factory HP specs that manufacturers give there engines are more often then not higher then that of the engines that come out on the streets. Simply because when the manufacturer tests the engine they are testing an engine with 0 tolerance, otherwise a Blueprint. Or they are simply just lying. It happend alot with v8's.

So i would allow about 20-30hp difference to bragain with when talking "manafacturers HP Specs".

Cheers
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Fri, 04 March 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 20:40

Hi,

The RG was the first model. It had the highest compression ratio, no anti-pollution gear and prefers to drink 98RON petrol.

I'd put 98RON (BP Ultimate) into any of these engines and forget running anything of lower RON rating. The 18RGUE is the preferred candidate for turboing.

seeyuzz
river

yes well.... 79Rona is in tassie, and we can't get any 98RON fuel (yet). PULP is the best we can get. so i get around it by retarding the ignition timing a little (helps having fully programmable timing Smile).

79rona: If you're lucky you'll find an rg in tassie, there's a few about. I sold an old green celica (RA40) to someone in hobart last year, that had an early 18rg in it. i checked the rego number the other day and it has expired, so maybe it been wrecked?

as for exhaust noise. I have 4-2-1 extractors and 2.25in pipe through a hotdog and a redback muffler, and its pretty loud especially and full noise near 6000-7000rpm.

What area of tassie are you at?
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Fri, 04 March 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in Launny,
ill keep looken around for a RG motor, will find one one day,
even if its attached to a celica, maybe turn that into a daily driver while the wagon gets done up..i dunno, but either way ill get a RG for the wagon

thanks

BTW, i use Premo in my car with the RC engine, seems to love it
goonman86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Sat, 05 March 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i can find you and 18rg eazy lol in tas my cuzine had one in his ute and did a big end in that and just done the same with his ra40 and that had the first 18rg in it with the high compresion pistons but ill see if he wants to sell any+ he got a 18rgue in bits at his house that i sold him oh and im in deloraine 30 mins from where you live and work in town as well
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: 18RG same as a 18RC?? Sat, 05 March 2005 02:35 Go to previous message
ahh awesome, will lemme know, and ill get some cash soon, hopefully,
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2E bits HELP ME
Next Topic:AE92 4AGTE problems :( help!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-